• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Chrange

Banned
chubigans said:
So another site posted a review:

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/gran-...a-20101125101232492010/g-20070711154452396099

And what I said in the review thread applies here, too:

Just read the GamesRadar review...and it's a legitimate opinion IMO. I'm having a blast with the game, and it's easily my GOTY...I don't see any racer near GT5...but at the same time I understand completely what he's saying, and he's not wrong.

The comparison to Forza and it's ability to have all "premium" cars has always been a bit flaky to me though. From Forza 1 to Forza 2, there were over 100 cars added with a majority being ported over from the original Xbox game to the 360. And because the Xbox was a nice powerful piece of tech, it wasn't really a big deal- the cars still looked good.

The jump from PS2 to PS3 is nowhere near as "easy", as shown by the standard cars in GT5. Polyphony essentially had to throw everything away and start fresh with GT5. And when they couldn't get to the level of cars and tracks from the PS2 version, they just threw all the PS2 assets in there anyways.

Does it hurt the overall "cohesiveness" of GT5? Yes it does. But consider the alternative. Look at Grand Theft Auto IV- a game that's miles apart graphically from GTAIII but much, much less things to do (rampages, medical games, etc.) Or the newest Final Fantasy. These were games that were hampered by the new HD era of gaming- getting a game to have that next gen feel but at the same time sacrificing much of the original game's qualities due to the budget and time frame.

Polyphony did the right thing for gamers by supplementing GT5 with older assets to create an enormous amount of depth. A year from now there's not going to be many people talking about GT5's graphical package, but there sure as hell going to be people still playing the game. And that's really what matters.

Are you really playing the 'poor them, they were rushed and broke' card on a game with 5+ years of development and a $60+ million budget :lol

(Quick slightly off-topic question: in FM3, can you rewind at any point, as far back as you want [in single-player]? You can keep rewinding in 5-second increments or something like that, right?)

Chrange

Banned
RedRedSuit said:
(Quick slightly off-topic question: in FM3, can you rewind at any point, as far back as you want [in single-player]? You can keep rewinding in 5-second increments or something like that, right?)
I think you can't rewind if a computer car has already crossed the finish line, but I don't think there are any other limits. I didn't use it a whole lot.

Chrange said:
I think you can't rewind if a computer car has already crossed the finish line, but I don't think there are any other limits. I didn't use it a whole lot.

I think you can't rewind if you go into the pits also.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
RedRedSuit said:
There is a limit to how far back you can go. I've run into that problem :lol.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RedRedSuit said:
You can rewind three times ever time you hit the rewind button. Then you can drive a bit and hit rewind again and go back 3 increments again, and repeat. This way you can essentially go back to SLIGHTLY after the beginning of the race, provided you do not encounter any of the restrictions mentioned above.

Rad Agast

mil6es said:
your killing me really :lol :lol :lol

1 I never said you could not loose control of a race car, any any of my posts, I said

no mention of not being able to loose control of all cars in the game is there???

moving on if you yourself have played the game, please explain why race cars on a whole behave like they have way to much toe added to the front wheels I.e are overly sensitive and skiddish going in a straight line. serious question as you seem to think I have no knowledge of this game. :lol

Is the F50 in GT5 now? Did they add it as DLC or some thing? some one post a video of the same test in GT5 maybe?

paskowitz

bishoptl said:
this is my best thread ever

2009_inglorious_bastards_002.jpg

It may just be.

Atomski

I really wish games had a instant replay button. Sometimes something happens and I can't handle but think wtf was that. Yet by the time the race is over I cant be bothered to figure when and where it happened in the replay.

Also no rewind in replays on gt5 is kinda funny.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rad Agast said:
Is the F50 in GT5 now? Did they add it as DLC or some thing? some one post a video of the same test in GT5 maybe?
This is a huge fucking omission.

I still can't believe the F50 is not in this game. Seriously, what the fuck PD? I don't want to hear anybody defending this decision in some crazy stupid way either. No F50? Waddafuck.

enzo_gt said:

I still can't believe the F50 is not in this game. Seriously, what the fuck PD? I don't want to hear anybody defending this decision in some crazy stupid way either. No F50? Waddafuck.
I've never seen anyone so consistently pissed over a game on a system they dont even own.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dabanton said:
Lets have a look at the post scores so far.
I'm the dude in the back of the room where the illegal fight ring is going on, playing all the sides against each other while running the betting on the side.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
theignoramus said:
I've never seen anyone so consistently pissed over a game on a system they dont even own.
I'm glad you only pick up on the pissed parts. If I wanted to keep saying good things about the game I would, but this is not the thread for that. Plus if I go into any GT thread they would automatically consider me a troll. I keep F5ing the Photo Sharing thread for goodness, but even there people are pretty sensitive to even the slightest of jokes, so I stay reserved for fear of being banned because of some arbitrary association people make between me and Forza.

Or maybe I read that wrong, are you defending the fact that the F50 is not in the game? I sure hope not.

enzo_gt said:

Why the hell do any of you "True Ferrari Fans" need an F50 in a game to be happy, when the only Ferrari ever worth driving is the F40? :D

You guys are starting to sound like F430 apologists fans! :lol
Seriously, Enzo Ferrari would roll in his grave...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dreams-Visions said:
can we color code this for fanboyism?

green for 360 fanboys, blue for PS3 fanboys and a lonely shade of grey for PC fanboys?
You missed the Mario Kart fanboys.

Rad Agast

Cuban Legend said:
Why the hell do any of you "True Ferrari Fans" need an F50 in a game to be happy, when the only Ferrari ever worth driving is the F40? :D

S Nissan SKYLINE 2000GT-B (S54A) ‘67
S Nissan SKYLINE 2000GT-R (KPGC110) ‘73
S Nissan SKYLINE Coupe 350GT ‘03
P Nissan SKYLINE Coupe 370GT Type SP ‘07
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R (R32) ‘89
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R (R32) ‘91
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R (R33) ‘95
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R (R33) ‘96
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R (R33) ‘97
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R (R34) ‘99
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R (R34) ‘00
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R M·spec (R34) ‘01
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R M·spec Nür (R34) ‘02
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R N1 (R32) ‘91
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R N1 (R33) ‘95
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R Special Color Midnight Purple II (R34) ‘99
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R Special Color Midnight Purple III (R34) ‘00
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec (R32) ‘93
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec (R33) ‘95
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec (R33) ‘96
P/S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec (R33) ‘97
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec (R34) ‘99
P/S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec II (R32) ‘94
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec II (R34) ‘00
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec II N1 (R34) ‘00
P/S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec II Nür (R34) ‘02
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec LM Limited (R33) ‘96
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec N1 (R32) ‘93
S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec N1 (R34) ‘99
S Nissan SKYLINE GTS25 Type S (R32) ‘91
S Nissan SKYLINE GTS-R (R31) ‘87
S Nissan SKYLINE GTS-t Type M (R32) ‘89
S Nissan SKYLINE GTS-t Type M (R32) ‘91
S Nissan SKYLINE Hard Top 2000 RS-X Turbo C (R30) ‘84
S Nissan SKYLINE Hard Top 2000 Turbo RS (R30) ‘83
S Nissan SKYLINE Hard Top 2000GT-R (KPGC10) ‘70
S Nissan SKYLINE Sedan 300GT ‘01
P Nissan SKYLINE Sedan 350GT Type SP ‘06
S Nissan SKYLINE Sedan 350GT-8 ‘02
S Nissan SKYLINE Sport Coupe (BLRA-3) ‘62

Leave the vintage ones alone but get rid of some thing for an F50 or any other missing exotic please.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cuban Legend said:

What's wrong with the F430 homie? Last I checked that car was beautiful, and performs like a dream.

And the F50 is a must, even if the front end is a melted mess, DAT SPOILER. And, the F50's design is pretty damn iconic.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
user_nat said:
That picture raises a few questions..

I thought they modeled underneath the premiums?
Yeah, that's really weird, why didn't they model the bottoms of the cars? Since Forza 3 had it in all the cars I kinda assumed GT5 would do it across the board easily.

Damn, that's really tripping me out, I thought for sure that'd be in o_O

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Truespeed said:
It's only downhill from here on out. You know what to do...

shut it down.

Yup, reviews (metacritic & game rankings) and 4 head-to-head challenges all say Forza 3 is better. Pretty definitive.

GAF crowns the king: Forza 3.

/thread

Top Bottom