• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

Any ideas on what to have Iga sign at the PAX panel? I'd like to bring something but I don't have a copy of SOTN. Will there be a poster or something there that he'll sign?

I don't do autograph events really. The only one I've ever done was for The Last of Us and they had alternate box art that Bruce and Neil were signing. Think Iga might bring something like that?

A body part. Then immediately head to a tattoo artist (there's one a few blocks away from PAX) to make it permanent.

Edit:

Zangetsu (斬月) is a cool name. I decided to look up the meaning of the first kanji, "zan" (斬) and found it's meaning to be something like "beheading, kill, or murder". Kind of silly how blunt it is, but I guess we can expect this guy to be a badass, huh?

The second kanji, "getsu" (月) means moon, or month, and is also used to distinguish the "Mon" part of "Monday" essentially.

So his name is Murder Month? Killing Moon? Beheading Mon(day)? I think we can agree it sounds cooler in Japanese :D.

Somebody liked Bleach.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Somebody liked Bleach.

Yeah, or watermelon:
Gaim%2BGaiden%2BKamen%2BRider%2BZangetsu%2BWatermelon%2BArms.jpg

There are like 10-12 things that they are trying to get the panel to do, like Iga acts Humble, Someone says: "A miserable pile off....", Iga takes off his hat. If all the achievements are made we get a surprise or something.

Sou Da

Man hearing about the teaser site and how that played into the production I gotta say this campaign was manage really well.

Crocodile

A lot of the panel was going into what it took to run this campaign and make it an actual success. I transcribed most of the key points below:

Before the Campaign
  • Miriam was Frakenstien/Golem/Homonculous type creature > moved to a Human but Cursed character to make it easier to relate to her
  • Miriam was more "sexy" to show off skin for the Crystal Curse > moved to more moderate design as seen
  • Game was a globetrotting event (in part because ti was a more publisher friendly model to add DLC) > moved to Castle (for the fans)
  • Success of Mighty No. 9 helped Ben convince Iga to jump Konami ship
  • Went to all sorts of publishers for a year > got the runaround
  • Kickstarter model works for games that appeal to small but rabid fanbases
  • Were worried that 2014 was a down year for Kickstarter

Campaign Tips
  • Try/consider weird stuff, but don't get attached to anything
  • Stuff for campaigns should make things better for the backers
  • All sides have to work together to make enticing but realistic stretch
  • Plan MONTHS ahead
  • Make meaningful updates
  • Respect the backers – fans take curs from you
  • Help build the fandom (something in place for the game to launch into)
  • Talk to fans, make them feel appreciated and happy

Sword vs Whip
  • Came about as a teaser
  • Ended up being key in getting feedback to adjust campaign before it even launched.
  • Discussion that followed was watched & influenced stretch goals and manner in which campaign was written.

The Campaign Launches!

• 30 “FUNDED!” images made for each day of campaign, were stunned things went so well
  • They all made bets on total money at the end, EVERYBODY lowballed
  • Inticreates put in a lot of time & effort into the campaign (before and during), Main artist ran ragged
  • Mad meetings to make strong but realistic stretch goals
Customize!
  • “Customize” system for Bloodstained announced (see art posted already), may influence stats as well
  • More creative collaborations in game are teased, especially with regards to the Customize system (note that the bottom right outfit in the art is a Gunvolt reference)

Future of Kickstarter

• Shout out to FIG
  • More Publisher backed Kickstarters are coming........
  • Konami licensing out some of its IPs out to others?

A new "Ask IGA" is also coming soon to make up for the fact the Q&A session was cut short

Shouta

I'm watching the archive of the stream and it's pretty funny how liberal Ben's interpreting is on some of these points relative to how Iga said it. Feels like a bit of PR clean-up mid-translation, lol.

Miriam was Frakenstien/Golem/Homonculous type creature > moved to a Human but Cursed character to make it easier to relate to her

That would have been cool.

Miriam was more "sexy" to show off skin for the Crystal Curse > moved to more moderate design as seen

That would have been terrible.

Game was a globetrotting event (in part because ti was a more publisher friendly model to add DLC) > moved to Castle (for the fans)

Oh thank god.

Gbraga

A lot of the panel was going into what it took to run this campaign and make it an actual success. I transcribed most of the key points below:

Thanks a lot for all the info!

I think they made the right choices with Miriam. I still think she's a bit "overdesigned", but I'm used to it already, I guess.

Glasses Miriam = best Miriam. They'll take so much of my money with DLC costumes... Whens gameplay?

I'm watching the archive of the stream and it's pretty funny how liberal Ben's interpreting is on some of these points relative to how Iga said it. Feels like a bit of PR clean-up mid-translation, lol.

Could you give us some examples?

Shouta

Iga mentioned there was strong urging from the publisher to do the globetrotting aspect but he didn't say anything about what that meant but in the end the publisher realized they were going to Kickstarter. The fans wanted a castle and so they said "Sure why not" for the setting changed. Ben talked specifically about DLC stuff and all that which is super specific, lol.

Gbraga

Iga mentioned there was strong urging from the publisher to do the globetrotting aspect but he didn't say anything about what that meant but in the end the publisher realized they were going to Kickstarter. The fans wanted a castle and so they said "Sure why not" for the setting changed. Ben talked specifically about DLC stuff and all that which is super specific, lol.

Well, he is Iga's agent, right, so I suppose he was part of those meetings, maybe it's not just him taking some liberties with the translation, but giving more insight.

Venfayth

I don't know much Japanese at all but I've always felt like Ben really puts things into his own words when he translates for Iga.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but I do wish I understood Iga a bit more to know if I'm right, heh.

Shouta

Another one at was at the tail end of Iga's explanation of Miriam's design being made a bit more conservative. There was a slight comment from Aizu and Iga about this going against changing tastes of the market which I think was referring to the Japanese one, lol. I'd need to go back and find that part and listen to it again.

@MUWANdo

Banned

I don't think it's just PR clean-up; he's trying to inject more energy and excitement into IGA's responses because he's an incredibly low-key dude, as opposed to someone like Inafune who's very comfortable and experienced with the press and building hype.

Kind-of sounds like they wanted something akin to Portrait of Ruin, perhaps. I mean, there are areas based on Western Europe and Egypt in that one. Glad they stuck with the castle though.

This was probably one of the better-run Kickstarters, at least for the campaign period. I'm not even the biggest -vania fan in the world, and I was still encouraged enough to kick in a fair amount towards it.

Especially compared to how the Shenmue III and Red Ash Kickstarters were handled...

Sectus

That reminds me of Double Fine's Symphony of the Night video with Iga and Ben Judd. Ben Judd translated what Iga said, but for the video they added subtitles as an alternate translation, and that ended up being very different.

TreIII

So, with these customization features, it more or less confirms that Miriam's model can be altered in some way as she gains new equipment and the like? Excellent news! It's just the kind of thing I always hoped one of IGA's CV games would have, considering there's always such interesting flavor text to go along with your equipment acquisitions, but most never affected your in-game model in anyway.

Xerotwo

It was awesome seeing those guys on stage, but I wasn't able to get his autograph since the line was full and they weren't taking any more for the rest of the duration.

Apparently the special prize for the Iga-chievements is a sweet poster with his signature.

At least I got patches for Team Sword and whip.

kiryogi

Banned
Another one at was at the tail end of Iga's explanation of Miriam's design being made a bit more conservative. There was a slight comment from Aizu and Iga about this going against changing tastes of the market which I think was referring to the Japanese one, lol. I'd need to go back and find that part and listen to it again.

No you were right, I was there actually and was kinda "Wait a minute" with what Ben's version of it was. But oh well, dat Japanese market.

No you were right, I was there actually and was kinda "Wait a minute" with what Ben's version of it was. But oh well, dat Japanese market.
What did Ben said instead? That Miriam was designed with (western) market changes in mind when she was made more conservative (as opposed to the Japanese wanting a skimpier one)?

Where can I watch this archived footage, guys?

Why does Twitch makes finding previously aired footage so hard? I can't find Iga's panel :(

EDIT: Ugh, found it. It wasn't properly stored with Iga's panel in the name.

This was probably one of the better-run Kickstarters, at least for the campaign period. I'm not even the biggest -vania fan in the world, and I was still encouraged enough to kick in a fair amount towards it.

Especially compared to how the Shenmue III and Red Ash Kickstarters were handled...

The more I see about this project the more I get convinced this was the absolute best managed Kickstarter videogame campaign up to this point. And I was there day 1 complaining how it took them half a day to post additional stretch goals after we ran through all the initial ones in less than a day. But I'm also here to say they sure showed me and now I'm eating my shorts.

Great Job, Iga & Co.! You truly deserve this success and all this only makes me more eager to see the game in action.

Has there been any chance to upgrade out tiers yet?

AFAIK you'll be able to in September 15-ish when they send out the surveys to the backers because I think that's also when they are aiming to launch the slacker-backer website where you'll be able to upgrade as well.

Top Bottom