• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2009 Anime Season of "too much loli - gonna go watch Vampire Bund"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

DrForester said:

Not that I care about that show but it's flat out stupid to edit stuff for release. Especially as you are trying to sell to such a small group of people anyway, and this just gives them the perfect excuse to stick with fansubs. Also it opens the door for editing shows that I do actually care about in the future.

Durarara 09 - 'Madly in Love'. Pretty good episode. Rather then sticking with one character it followed a theme. This worked alot better then in those other episodes which followed multiple characters but didn't really have anything to link up the different scenes. Thought it was pretty weak that
Seji's sister was all classic anime incest backstory but considering most people in this show are insane it's not too big a problem.
Also any scene with Shizuo in makes the episode worthwile. Not to mention that the show now contains fetish for women with no heads and
Women who are only heads

Heh heh, somehow Baka to Test has become my favorite show this season. I mean it's not the best, not by a long shot, but it's just so goddamn entertaining and stupid. There's something to be said for things that are just ridiculous.

7Th

5 episodes in and Heartcatch PreCure is still the most entretaining show of the season. Going with Yoshihiko Umakoshi for the character designs was the best creative choice in the entire history of the franchise.

mAcOdIn

Magnus_Bulla said:
Heh heh, somehow Baka to Test has become my favorite show this season. I mean it's not the best, not by a long shot, but it's just so goddamn entertaining and stupid. There's something to be said for things that are just ridiculous.
I enjoy it, funny stuff.

What I think'd be funny for once in these God damn seemingly mandatory incest storylines is why does no one engage in "incest chicken?"

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Thanks to Durarara's sudden turn towards weird incest decapitation fetishism, I can now honestly say Bakatest is my show of the season.

Jex

Halycon said:
Thanks to Durarara's sudden turn towards weird incest decapitation fetishism, I can now honestly say Bakatest is my show of the season.

What? Thats clearly the best part!

Cobra : The Animation 10 -Weirdly this would pretty much qualify as a 'good' episode of anime - the directing, the plot, the acting was all acceptable. It's just the terrible production quality that brings it down. Still there's always some good stuff from the mind of Buichi Terasawa, apart from lots of different costumes for female characters.

cobrabulleta.jpg

cobrabulletb.jpg

cobrabulletc.jpg

Edit

Katanagari 3 : I prefer this episode to the other two episodes in that the person they are supposed to retrieve the swords from is actually interesting. Although a bloody melodramatic ninja still showed up.

Fairy Tail 21 - Starting the arc... kind of amusing. Lucy managed to get kidnapped though, she IS pretty useless... (as the other three main characters all said earlier in the episode... :lol:)

Katanagatari 03 - It's too bad that the show is monthly, that's really slow. It's an entertaining show. Nothing original, for sure, but entertaining and amusing, with a few serious moments here and there. Seeing anime with full-hour episodes (50 mins instead of 25, whatever) is interesting... but yeah, the slow pace is tough.

Shichika being so uncaring about killing people is creepy...

I understand the concept is that the swords corrupt the masters so giving them up would kill them or something, but still, in both the second and third episodes having to kill the person was somewhat sad... and he doesn't seem to care that much about it. I know he's an innocent outsider type, but still. I imagine part of it is cultural dissonance, but even Togame was sad about it, even if she (and the other priestesses) evidently thought that it would end that way all along, presumably because of the nature of the swords. At least in episode 2 the guy was clearly doing bad things with his sword, killing anyone who entered that room and such... that wasn't really true this time.

I mean the ninjas are clearly evil, but the other swordbearers aren't, yet because they have the swords they evidently will have to kill them to get the swords from them... or he probably does, but will anyway? I'm not sure, but the effect is the same.

I do like the show though. It's not exactly original, but for what it is it's pretty well done.

Oh yeah, in ep.2, Shichika's comment about Togame wearing too much clothes (in the desert) was kind of amusing, given how voluminous his pants are... :) Of course her reaction was probably why the conversation was there. They do like their "have Shichika say something that makes Togame embarrassed without him knowing why" conversations. It is anime though, and with these character types what else would you expect? But as I said, entertaining even if it is not exactly original.

Bakatest 10 - Gah, it is so stupid and yet entertaining...

According to Anime on DVD, a few titles appear to be licensed in North America...

Summer Wars. DVD and BD. August 24. $24.98 DVD, $39.98 BD. No distributor listed.
Xam'd. Episode 1-13. DVD $49.98, BD $99.98. August 10. Sony.
Ultraviolet 044. Episode 1-12. DVD $59.98. BD $99.98. July 13. Sony.

A Black Falcon said:
Fairy Tail 21 - Starting the arc... kind of amusing. Lucy managed to get kidnapped though, she IS pretty useless... (as the other three main characters all said earlier in the episode... :lol:)

Katanagatari 03 - It's too bad that the show is monthly, that's really slow. It's an entertaining show. Nothing original, for sure, but entertaining and amusing, with a few serious moments here and there. Seeing anime with full-hour episodes (50 mins instead of 25, whatever) is interesting... but yeah, the slow pace is tough.

Shichika being so uncaring about killing people is creepy...

I understand the concept is that the swords corrupt the masters so giving them up would kill them or something, but still, in both the second and third episodes having to kill the person was somewhat sad... and he doesn't seem to care that much about it. I know he's an innocent outsider type, but still. I imagine part of it is cultural dissonance, but even Togame was sad about it, even if she (and the other priestesses) evidently thought that it would end that way all along, presumably because of the nature of the swords. At least in episode 2 the guy was clearly doing bad things with his sword, killing anyone who entered that room and such... that wasn't really true this time.

I mean the ninjas are clearly evil, but the other swordbearers aren't, yet because they have the swords they evidently will have to kill them to get the swords from them... or he probably does, but will anyway? I'm not sure, but the effect is the same.

I do like the show though. It's not exactly original, but for what it is it's pretty well done.

Oh yeah, in ep.2, Shichika's comment about Togame wearing too much clothes (in the desert) was kind of amusing, given how voluminous his pants are... :) Of course her reaction was probably why the conversation was there. They do like their "have Shichika say something that makes Togame embarrassed without him knowing why" conversations. It is anime though, and with these character types what else would you expect? But as I said, entertaining even if it is not exactly original.

Bakatest 10 - Gah, it is so stupid and yet entertaining...
Shichika said in this episode that he's Togame's sword follows her commands faithfully because he's 'fallen for her' (yet he still wandered around the shrine grounds) and basically it's his job when Togame's negoiation fails (probably entire series). He's a simple guy and without hesitation will probably make him the strongest fighter overall, to be fair the opponent was not going to surrender either. Togame did feel sorry but it seemed like the conflict was unavoidable and relieved that Shichika was not hurt.

Jex

distantmantra said:
According to Anime on DVD, a few titles appear to be licensed in North America...

Summer Wars. DVD and BD. August 24. $24.98 DVD, $39.98 BD. No distributor listed.
Xam'd. Episode 1-13. DVD $49.98, BD $99.98. August 10. Sony.
Ultraviolet 044. Episode 1-12. DVD $59.98. BD $99.98. July 13. Sony.

Seem like fairly safe releases. Ugh at half season of X'amd. I guess you only have to buy the good half. I bet they are pretty desperate to put that out as a release that has a small chance to make some money and that people might see it as opposed to paying a silly amount of money to rent it off PSN.

Edit :

Duhahah 10 : and the return of sloppy, strange pacing! A whole bunch of scenes in the first half ot this episode felt irrelevant, and then there was actual plot movement in a far better second half. Although I will let it slide somewhat because it had a brief Death Notesque exagerated animation scene (similar to the over-the-top writing scenes).

duraramouse.jpg

Them sparks be flying!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sora no Woto and Railgun - what is it with impossibly evil villains appearing out of nowhere. Like... at least have a reason for being evil, damn it. :lol

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
Railgun - what is it with impossibly evil villains appearing out of nowhere. Like... at least have a reason for being evil, damn it. :lol
Index was the same fucking way, they'd just be like out walking for ice cream and have to stop some plot for getting people to kill each other every episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Go figure. I mean, they have an interesting villain in the doctor who wants to save the kids... you know, a villain you could actually identify with. Now they up the ante with insane crazy psycho bitch. WTF?

It's funny because Sora no Woto just did the exact same thing. Maybe it's just an anime thing that I've been able to ignore because I watch shitty slice of life shows. :lol

(Although, having an insane villain show up on Hidimari Sketch would be kind of awesome)

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
Go figure. I mean, they have an interesting villain in the doctor who wants to save the kids... you know, a villain you could actually identify with. Now they up the ante with insane crazy psycho bitch. WTF?

It's funny because Sora no Woto just did the exact same thing. Maybe it's just an anime thing that I've been able to ignore because I watch shitty slice of life shows. :lol

(Although, having an insane villain show up on Hidimari Sketch would be kind of awesome)
Haven't seen this SnW, but in a way a 2d villain is nice, not every bad guy had to be some tortured soul that's just going about things the wrong way.

But what kind of villain would Hidamari Sketch have? Lol. Some pissed off kid who can't do art running around and knocking over their paintings or some shit?

I think in the Railgun/Index, hell any hero/protagonist, universe it makes sense in a way because everyone is extraordinary, doesn't matter what kind of fiction we're talking about but when you have extraordinary people they clash. The personality of the hero is almost always one of always helping people in need so of course they're going to run into a villain. Real life would probably be exactly the same way if we took such an interest in random people's troubles it'd just be more mundane shit like a mean landlord fucking someone over or a professor fucking you over on a grade, and with less sparks.

Pachael

There could have been either an overbearing landlord who wants the kids out or another one of those 'evil property developer' archetypes that could suddenly appear and take over Hidamari apartments, yeah, and the girls would rally the school and save the damn

sigh

and I'm still watching Kobato

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hidimari Sketch could have an evil science student show up to harass the girls just for shiggles. They'd also have to have the insane GIANT GRIN with the crazy laughter after every sentence.

Maybe I just prefer "situational villains over sapient villains that just exist to be obstacles - Chu Bra, the main character has to move to Kyoto and lose all her new friends. Oh noooooes!!!! :lol

Railgun finale was pretty good, or at least as good as I could expect it to be. Stuff happened, which was a nice bonus, and welcome change from the past handful of episodes. And when stuff did happen, goddamn was it badass.

Also, regarding Durarara 11,
holy fuck @ the cameo. Great stuff.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I kind of despised the Railgun ending. It basically turned into Code Geass, where they gave the villain 10 minutes of exposition to spout mumbo jumbo at the protagonist. I felt like they just ruined the show with the last three episodes of the series by introducing an evil character right out of nowhere.

Maybe the novels were like this as well and that's what they had to work with, but it was fairly on the nose.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
I kind of despised the Railgun ending. It basically turned into Code Geass, where they gave the villain 10 minutes of exposition to spout mumbo jumbo at the protagonist. I felt like they just ruined the show with the last three episodes of the series by introducing an evil character right out of nowhere.

Maybe the novels were like this as well and that's what they had to work with, but it was fairly on the nose.
Index featured plenty of ten-minute expositions from either Touma or the villain-of-the-month, so yeah, it's a series tradition.

Durarara was pretty damn fun this week.
I was hoping that Mikado's plan wouldn't work and he'd be horribly embarassed as Namie's men abducted him, though.

Jex

Dumahaha 11 : Was actually pretty good. Although in a post-Lain, post-Stand Alone Complex and post-Eden of the East world it's not quite as cool as it may have been on it's own. Still thought it was fun although I feel
there was a 'false'-reaction shot from the crowd right at the end when her helmet came off. Like, wasn't riding down a buidling on a motorcycle wielding a scythe already strange enough? They seemed pretty slow to get it.
. Thats super nit-picky though, not nearly as bad as
incest being a driving motivation for one of the characters

Cobra The Animation 11 : Well, this was a wierd strange episode. How did it go from sneaking into a mansion to a mini-torunament? Who knows. Impressively the team working on the project have stayed focused on their commitment that all the scantly clad women in the show will be wearing different, yet equally covering, clothes. As usual, their was also lots of crazy stuff.

What do you do when you're being chased through the water? Reveal that you have random jet boots of couse!

jetboots.jpg

Tired of telling the time with those borring, old fashioned clock-hands? Then why not use a silhouette of a naked women instead! As if that wasn't odd enough, we cut above the clock later and see that it's an actual naked women whose body is forming the silhouette of the hands. For no apparent reason.

clocklady.jpg

I don't even know whats going on here. Giant-women-robot with tentacle hair being piloted by two dudes? Sure!

cobrawhat.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Couple of endings today, both ending predictably:

Chu-Bra - almost a touch of Toradora with all the wangst and the credits ending sequence.

Sora no Woto - evil dude being evil gets killed as punishment for his evilness. Also, random deus ex machina ending that was as expected.

Oh well, I guess I shouldn't have expected anything mind blowing from either show even if I appreciated them broadly for what they tried to do. Certainly a lot of the mythology of SnW is explained well enough though, even if it still leaves a lot to the imagination.

Still, a Japanese anime with German and French? I wouldn't have called it. :lol

firehawk12 said:
Couple of endings today, both ending predictably:

Chu-Bra - almost a touch of Toradora with all the wangst and the credits ending sequence.
Are you crazy? The intense drama that occurred in the last episode was both surprising and enticing.
I expected so much more out of the finale. I don't even know why I did.

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
Sora no Woto - evil dude being evil gets killed as punishment for his evilness. Also, random deus ex machina ending that was as expected.

Oh well, I guess I shouldn't have expected anything mind blowing from either show even if I appreciated them broadly for what they tried to do. Certainly a lot of the mythology of SnW is explained well enough though, even if it still leaves a lot to the imagination.

Still, a Japanese anime with German and French? I wouldn't have called it. :lol
Finally got caught up.

First off, German is common in anime, as far as foreign languages go it's probably second to English, French though not so much.

As for the ending.

Well I was way off in what was going to happen from the first episodes but like you said it was pretty predictable. If the ending was random how could it have been expected? It was basically telegraphed the second Rio left the Fort, that's what she let to do, maybe it was a boring ending or anti climatic but it was far from random. As for the main bad guy, you know I don't know why all the soldiers would follow that dude, surely someone listening to him proclaim he wants to start the war would just fucking shoot him in the head right there.

All in all a weak ending, so the show ends as just average instead of ever blossoming into anything special.

As for lame villains, maybe I'm getting older but I think I'm starting to prefer them. I mean, in no other medium would I expect some kind of arch nemesis constant enemy, that's comic book shit right there, in real life either the bad guy wins or loses but they're not locked into some constant struggle for all of eternity, that's a kind of incompetence on both the protagonist and antagonists parts that just don't happen in real life all that often.

Lain

Finished watching Chu-bra and Railgun.
Chu-bra was a bit disappointing because
her leaving was good enough, coming back like that ruined the mood and the sense of drama for me
Railgun had an ok ending, better than the last few episodes.

For something a little "old", I also did a full immersion session with Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom and I'm kind of pissed at the ending here. Maybe I should say that many episodes pissed me off, like the ones where our dear Reiji forgets to look for a corpse before deciding someone is dead (I thought he was a good assassin, silly me), but still, that ending really hurts.
After all the bullshit he (and us following the story) goes trough (poor obsessed Cal), that ending sucked.

Just watched the most recent Baka. As if we really needed another show to jump on the incest train, godamnit. But hey, at least the episode was absolutely hilarious, as per usual. If you're going to make me sit through tired and overused tropes, the least you can do is make me laugh my ass off while doing so.

Well, watching the last two episodes of both Railgun and Sora no Woto this week was basically the epitome of fail-ton. Both were series with interesting premises, some decent work in art and animation, and some great episodes mixed into some kind of pointless slice of life plot lines...all of which was completely slaughtered by a
arrogant, kill-crazed villain from out of the blue
and a
"love conquers all"
ending.

PUKE. CITY.

Dresden

Great Rumbler said:
Well, watching the last two episodes of both Railgun and Sora no Woto this week was basically the epitome of fail-ton. Both were series with interesting premises, some decent work in art and animation, and some great episodes mixed into some kind of pointless slice of life plot lines...all of which was completely slaughtered by a
and a
"love conquers all"
ending.

PUKE. CITY.
To be fair, it should have been apparent from episode 3 that Railgun was going to be trash.

Dresden said:
To be fair, it should have been apparent from episode 3 that Railgun was going to be trash.

Yeah, but having no knowledge of the books its based on nor having seen any episodes of Index, I hoped that it would build towards something really good. :(

mAcOdIn

You know, I hated on Index and Railgun but I think I'm going to change my tune, because I think they're just different than what I expect and not actually bad. I've seen and read a few ligt novel animes and novels themselves and the best I'd describe them are as quick little reads that'd be comparable to series in the West like The Survivalist or Hank the Cowdog. That's just the medium they are. Each little novel does continue the character's story but each novel is also fully contained, they don't generally end in fucking cliffhangers and shit.

So in that context the pace at which they encounter and dismantle enemies is completely logically, they're not sitting there in Hueco Muendo for 3 years building towards one fucking battle one week at a time, with each volume a year or so away people want the stories wrapped up faster. Now I got pissed at Index and Railgun because I thought the concept was like, super fucking awesome, I wanted them to be grander than what they were. But I also think that the villain of the week actually fits those universes because like I said previously, bad guys don't just dick with you for years on end, they either defeat you or get defeated, they're not like the fucking Joker.

So instead of really trashing the shows I should be hoping they did well enough to maybe convince the author to do something bigger, like an actual full length novel or perhaps an actual TV show with an arc or plot that's more in depth.

Lain

In regards to Railgun, was the villain really out of the blue?
That
Telestina
was gonna be the villain and a bitch was clear (or should I say I was expecting it, maybe) since she was shown during the fight at the end of the level up arc.
Plus, all her actions looked kind of suspicious, so much so that when she finally dropped the facade it seemed pretty normal to me.

mAcOdIn

Lain said:
In regards to Railgun, was the villain really out of the blue?
That
Telestina
was gonna be the villain and a bitch was clear (or should I say I was expecting it, maybe) since she was shown during the fight at the end of the level up arc.
Plus, all her actions looked kind of suspicious, so much so that when she finally dropped the facade it seemed pretty normal to me.
I don't think it was, but I think it's also kinda wrong to even approach her as "the final villain" or anything of the sort as well, she was just a minor footnote in those characters lives that happened to be the last one featured in the TV show. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sora no Woto was more disappointing in my opinion.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yep, the cop out ending of Chu Bra killed it. Still, I'm glad it didn't get too shitty by throwing in random yuri yuri-ness. I still think the series itself is interesting simply because of its premise - a girl's show with fanservice meant for lolicons. Go figure.

For Railgun, I personally feel the "heel turn" just happened way too fast. I mean, you just get a random evil smile at the end of an episode and that's how you find out... and then they have to spend a few episodes justifying why that person is evil. Bah.

And even though Sora no Woto ended the same way, the pay off worked more for me than the Railgun ending. They blew their load on Railgun way back mid-season with the impressive Level-Upper arc and redoing the exact same thing with a nameless villain was fairly pointless. Then again, I'm probably a sucker for Amazing Grace... and having that song end the series was pretty fitting from my perspective.

Oh well, everything else is wrapping up soon... and it'll probably turn out that something as generic as Kimi ni Todoke might end up being my favourite series of the season. Figures.

Jex

Cobra The Animation 12 - The 'Shiva Castle Arc' continues and is about part for this series really. Still, at least the show continues to be pleasently insane.

Umm ...

HorribleSubs_Cobra_the_Animation-3.jpg

Alright?

HorribleSubs_Cobra_the_Animation-1.jpg

Even people who have been turned into robots and have TV's for heads try and seduce Cobra.

HorribleSubs_Cobra_the_Animation-2.jpg

Still, she does provide a vital distraction with her TV head later on...

HorribleSubs_Cobra_the_Animation_-_.jpg

Jexhius said:
Cobra The Animation 12 - The 'Shiva Castle Arc' continues and is about part for this series really. Still, at least the show continues to be pleasently insane.

Umm ...

HorribleSubs_Cobra_the_Animation-3.jpg

Alright?

HorribleSubs_Cobra_the_Animation-1.jpg

Even people who have been turned into robots and have TV's for heads try and seduce Cobra.

HorribleSubs_Cobra_the_Animation-2.jpg

Still, she does provide a vital distraction with her TV head later on...

HorribleSubs_Cobra_the_Animation_-_.jpg

This sequence of images pretty much sum up why Cobra the Animation is so awesome.

Great Rumbler said:
and a
"love conquers all"
ending.

PUKE. CITY.

Sora no Woto -- I just don't think that shows are made better by being more depressing, so I don't really agree. What's wrong with a happy ending? Nothing, really, in my opinion.

Sure, they could have killed them off or something and had tragedy and all that, but it wouldn't have made the show any better. Just different.

As for Railgun, I stopped watching somewhere around episode 8 or 9, and never picked it up again... it seemed alright, but not interesting enough to hold my interest I guess.

To say a bit more about SnW's ending... I guess the main question I have is
Um, so the Romans and Helvetians had been at war. Helvetia used chemical weapons in the war to stave off a Roman attack. They eventually managed to force a truce. Peace talks began but they dragged on and on. The Roman Emperor demanded the Helvetian ruler's daughter as his wife; I'm not sure what Iliya said, but then she died. Peace talks dragged on. So now Rio goes there and meets with him and suddenly there is peace... so did she promise to marry him? It would seem likely, but then she ends up back at the fortress saying that in gratitude for ending the war he gave her a wish and that's what she wanted. I guess she has to marry him later or sometthing?

The issue of the truce had been a long-running one in the show, and there was no convenient escape there, like there was for the battle... Rio was forced to give in on the issue. Like with the chemical/biological (whichever it was) weapons issue, those complexities make the show a bit better and more believable.

I mean, yeah, it was hard to believe that the song would get them to stop fighting for so long, but oh well, that's how things work in movies, anime, whatever.

I mean, I don't have a major problem with the mostly upbeat nature of the ending, but it's a little lacking in details... I want to know what happened, darnit. It's pretty well done as it is, you can guess at a lot of the details which aren't stated, but still, it'd be nice to know a little more. Oh well. :)

Oh, as for the villain, I'd say they hinted at it, with the mentions of the 'Invisible Death' and such. They just waited until the end to explain the details.

Also, the Roman version of the legend... um, a little odd.
An Angel of the Apocalypse was sent to purge humanity, okay... it got injured and stopped in the valley, alright, and the maidens of the fortress heal it, but the people of the town hear and set the valley on fire. The angel and maidens die, and a host of angels appear to kill the townspeople. However, before dying one of the maidens blows on a horn with a song that made the angels go away...

... Am I getting that right? So my question is, if the angel is destroying a big chunk of humanity and such, why is helping it the right thing to do if you are protecting life... that makes no sense. The anime did seem to suggest that that legend might be "more right", but both are of course just legends, and obviously neither is the whole truth. Those kinds of things have a way of changing over time. They just never really say what caused the apocalypse, or why, in the show... it'd have been nice to know, I think. Not necessary, but nice. They gave some specific details about the state of the world, but only myths and legends and ghosts about what caused the fall of humanity... oh well. I guess that the point is that by this point people don't know, and the series creators didn't want to just suddenly stick in something that explained it all, with the actual details of what happened instead of just another myth as they do in the final epsiode. It's a little annoying, but oh well... it works well as a story. It's a little frustrating, but it does work.

Oh yeah, as for the state of the world, the ending note is obviously supposed to be Kanata's optimism and hope, and not "it's over and ending". That I like for sure. I definitely like it a lot more with an optimistic ending than I would with a "the world is dying, the characters all just got slaughtered, the end" ending like they could have done. That kind of thing has been done enough...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess I'll spoiler too. :lol

It's still a society based on royalty I guess - at the very least, the ending suggests that like all marriages between royalty, it was just a marriage of political convenience.

I'm assuming Noel was able to restore some of the alien technology (much like the tank they use) during the war which was extremely devastating and ended the war.

I suppose it's funny that the famous Colonel that Kureha idolizes turns out to be a gigantic evil asshole... I'm sure that's anime simplicity that I've taken for granted these last couple of years. :lol
Still, wanting to start a war just for the sake of starting a war? That's Code Geass stupid.

I will say, I think I missed something in that I have no idea how Illya died. Maybe they said at one point but I just forgot.

As for the old war - the Roman version of the story is probably the best we'll get. Aliens came to Earth and were about to win the war. The Fire Maidens try to help an injured one but the town kills it. The aliens see that not all human beings are evil and decide to leave... and throughout the years of redevelopment, they just lost the real history of what happened.

One random note - The Random Curiosity blogger is retiring. That's too bad, because I found his summaries of episodes useful once in a while... but, so it goes.

firehawk12 said:
I guess I'll spoiler too. :lol

It's still a society based on royalty I guess - at the very least, the ending suggests that like all marriages between royalty, it was just a marriage of political convenience.

I'm assuming Noel was able to restore some of the alien technology (much like the tank they use) during the war which was extremely devastating and ended the war.

I suppose it's funny that the famous Colonel that Kureha idolizes turns out to be a gigantic evil asshole... I'm sure that's anime simplicity that I've taken for granted these last couple of years. :lol
Still, wanting to start a war just for the sake of starting a war? That's Code Geass stupid.

I will say, I think I missed something in that I have no idea how Illya died. Maybe they said at one point but I just forgot.

As for the old war - the Roman version of the story is probably the best we'll get. Aliens came to Earth and were about to win the war. The Fire Maidens try to help an injured one but the town kills it. The aliens see that not all human beings are evil and decide to leave... and throughout the years of redevelopment, they just lost the real history of what happened.

One random note - The Random Curiosity blogger is retiring. That's too bad, because I found his summaries of episodes useful once in a while... but, so it goes.

I'd seperate the quotes, but having to spoiler everything in every separate quote would be a real pain, so I'll just answer this way...

Royalty -- True, that is generally the way marriages in the nobility worked, and if nobility was back it would make sense that things would work that way. The thing is Rio obviously had not exactly wanted to have much to do with her father, or to do things he wanted... she had to give in and do what he wanted (despite that she hates him) and marry someone who already has two (current/past?) wives, while she really didn't want to be royalty... but she couldn't escape it. A more happy ending would probably have gotten her out of that somehow, but they didn't do that... they restricted their "getting out of something inevitable" for avoiding the war, not anything else. It adds some sadness to the ending for sure. Not nearly as bad as that worst-case-scenario ending I described though, so I don't mind. It works and is believable.

Noel -- Alien? I thought that the idea was that she rebu8ilt human technology, from before the fall of civilization. The spider tank is one example of her doing that, those tanks are from before the fall; only in the 11th episode do we learn of her earlier experience with that, when she "rebuilt" or whatever a chemical or biological weapons plant's capability, giving the Helvetian military the ability to use those weapons... which of course that guy did, which caused the "Invisible Death" incident. Noel obviously feels extremely guilty about the whole thing, for obvious reasons (a bunch of innocent people were killed, along with the enemy...). But no, the spider tanks and bioweapons were human tech, not alien or whatever the enemy were. Remember the episode with the ghost soldier (or delusion, or whatever) where we saw the short scene of a bunch of spider tanks fighting against one of the giant winged creatures, before the end of the war.

The colonel -- He said that the reason he wanted to start a war was that technology advances faster during a war than during peacetime, I believe, and that he wanted the world to regain its lost technology, and he believed that the quickest way to accomplish that would be to start a war. It was actually a clever reason I thought, and actually accurate -- during wars military technology advances faster than during peacetime without question. Of course, it doesn't justify what he was going to do, and their rebuilding the tank from the past, during peacetime, seemed kind of a counter to his argument I thought. Not that he listened. :)

Iliya -- In the 9th or 10th episode I believe Rio said that Iliya died trying to save a child from a flood... think of the episode where something like that almost happened again, that she was remembering that really explains why Rio was so angry with children in that episode. For good reason obviously, the kid was being a complete idiot.

Your explanation of the war -- Sure, perhaps. That's a good explanation actually, I didn't quite think of that... but yeah, that sounds reasonable. I wonder why the war started in the first place... oh well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A Black Falcon said:
I'd seperate the quotes, but having to spoiler everything in every separate quote would be a real pain, so I'll just answer this way...

Royalty -- True, that is generally the way marriages in the nobility worked, and if nobility was back it would make sense that things would work that way. The thing is Rio obviously had not exactly wanted to have much to do with her father, or to do things he wanted... she had to give in and do what he wanted (despite that she hates him) and marry someone who already has two (current/past?) wives, while she really didn't want to be royalty... but she couldn't escape it. A more happy ending would probably have gotten her out of that somehow, but they didn't do that... they restricted their "getting out of something inevitable" for avoiding the war, not anything else. It adds some sadness to the ending for sure. Not nearly as bad as that worst-case-scenario ending I described though, so I don't mind. It works and is believable.

Noel -- Alien? I thought that the idea was that she rebu8ilt human technology, from before the fall of civilization. The spider tank is one example of her doing that, those tanks are from before the fall; only in the 11th episode do we learn of her earlier experience with that, when she "rebuilt" or whatever a chemical or biological weapons plant's capability, giving the Helvetian military the ability to use those weapons... which of course that guy did, which caused the "Invisible Death" incident. Noel obviously feels extremely guilty about the whole thing, for obvious reasons (a bunch of innocent people were killed, along with the enemy...). But no, the spider tanks and bioweapons were human tech, not alien or whatever the enemy were. Remember the episode with the ghost soldier (or delusion, or whatever) where we saw the short scene of a bunch of spider tanks fighting against one of the giant winged creatures, before the end of the war.

The colonel -- He said that the reason he wanted to start a war was that technology advances faster during a war than during peacetime, I believe, and that he wanted the world to regain its lost technology, and he believed that the quickest way to accomplish that would be to start a war. It was actually a clever reason I thought, and actually accurate -- during wars military technology advances faster than during peacetime without question. Of course, it doesn't justify what he was going to do, and their rebuilding the tank from the past, during peacetime, seemed kind of a counter to his argument I thought. Not that he listened. :)

Iliya -- In the 9th or 10th episode I believe Rio said that Iliya died trying to save a child from a flood... think of the episode where something like that almost happened again, that she was remembering that really explains why Rio was so angry with children in that episode. For good reason obviously, the kid was being a complete idiot.

Your explanation of the war -- Sure, perhaps. That's a good explanation actually, I didn't quite think of that... but yeah, that sounds reasonable. I wonder why the war started in the first place... oh well.

I'm assuming Rio was the bastard child, which is why she resented her father. I would imagine that, much like in "real life", all Rio has to do is pop out a child at some point, which would end her private obligation to the Roman emperor.

I also assumed that the humans of the past backwards engineered alien tech - mostly because the dead soldier from episode 7 or whenever looked like he had old school technology on him. Other than the tanks, the humans of the past look 20th century.

And I just wrapped up the Colonel's motivations with "war for the sake of war". Clearly the fact that he was killed by the super tank was supposed to be ironic, but I feel like the motivations are still pretty weak. Better than the Railgun villain I suppose. :p

And yes, I remember that drowning explanation now. That just seems very low key.

Jex

Man people are still dicussing Sora No Wotoever and no-one posts in my 'Revolutionary Girl Utena' or 'Angels Egg' topics *is a little complainer*. Thats all my fault for having large posts thought I suppose.

Still at least this winter season has given me two shows that I can enjoy, and that'll do for me.

flawfuls

firehawk12 said:
Let's talk about Utena! :lol

Sounds like a plan. I just started watching it because of Jexhius' thread. I like the weird style, but I'm not sure I like how formulaic it is. Does it keep up this fight a new character each episode formula the whole series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom