• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ok so I have a question.

I got Star Fox 64 and--just like with OoT on Gamecube--it seems as though the analog on the GC controller has more levels of sensitivity than the N64 controller, and they didn't seem to compensate for this in the programming so the controls are a lot touchier. Does using the classic controller fix this issue?

Grecco

Cheesemeister said:
Updated search results:

FA6E-01.gif
FAAE-01.gif
FABE-01.gif
FBIE-01.gif
JAEE-01.gif
JBDE-01.gif

I see what you did there.

Oh and im soo gonna buy Super Metroid once its official. So Awesome

ethelred

Shining in the Darkness on the server, Landstalker with an ESRB rating... nice, nice, Sega. Now just get me Shining Force II and Phantasy Star IV and we'll be all set.

TJ Spyke

Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole SEGA of America E Mild Fantasy Violence Wii

Not quite new though since it seems to have been there for a few days (ESRB has them listed in the order they are rated).

TJ Spyke said:
Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole SEGA of America E Mild Fantasy Violence Wii

Not quite new though since it seems to have been there for a few days (ESRB has them listed in the order they are rated).

I have been checking the ESRB site every day since Landstalker appeared on the Aussie equivalent. Today is the only day I forgot to look, and lo and behold, it's there! Woo!

ethelred

Vyse The Legend said:
I have been checking the ESRB site every day since Landstalker appeared on the Aussie equivalent. Today is the only day I forgot to look, and lo and behold, it's there! Woo!

A watched pot never boils!

DMczaf

ethelred said:
Shining in the Darkness on the server, Landstalker with an ESRB rating... nice, nice, Sega. Now just get me Shining Force II and Phantasy Star IV and we'll be all set.

You forgot Shinobi III!

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master SEGA of America E10+ Animated Blood,
Fantasy Violence Wii

4mk0qgx.jpg

Fuck yeah!

Seriously I feel like my cup hath runneth overeth or someth like that.

Somebody should just slip Alien Soldier and Sin & Punishment in there so I can ruin my workpants.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Wii's VC is steamrolling. Those new updates are GLORIOUS.
except cratermaze. fuck that one. even if its based off a game called booby kids

Ranger X

Ok seriously.

I never thought the VC would update great games this fast. At this pace there won't be anything good left to update in 2 years. I wonder what Nintendo is planning about that.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Ranger X said:
Ok seriously.

I never thought the VC would update great games this fast. At this pace there won't be anything good left to update in 2 years. I wonder what Nintendo is planning about that.

wii ware, maybe?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Ranger X said:
Ok seriously.

Hopefully they start "updating" these games.

Wiimote controls like they promised damn't.

EktorPR

Super Metroid's impending arrival had me thinking about what other games I'd *really* want to get for the VC. And then, PepsimanVsJoe had to mention it...

Sin and Punishment would be a dream come true. :D

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
licensed games are a big hole in the catalog. i really think if they need a project once all the easily cleared, internally owned ips get uploaded to virtual console, they can spend their time working to get duck tales, gi joe, ghostbusters, etc.

Sanjuro

Cheesemeister said:
Okay, we get it.
Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling.
Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes...
The dead rising from the grave.
Human sacrifice, Super and Metroid living together - mass hysteria.

ethelred

Ranger X said:

I don't agree. There are more than enough great games out there that even if they keep this up for two years, the supply still won't have been exhausted -- part of that is the (still terrible!) number of releases we get per week, part of it is the filler weeks Nintendo gives us of shockingly awful games, and part of it is the continued transition of new systems into the service (NeoGeo's coming, and it'd be weird to not see the Master System or Genesis peripherals like CD/32x games).

I do think the past few weeks of VC have been really great, and if they distribute the games currently ESRB rated and on the server evenly across the next few weeks, it'll be the longest running awesomeness streak the service has seen. But that should be the standard! They need to keep up this kind of pace. We should never be getting weeks like, say, this.

loosus

Banned
Wii Remote controls for, say, Sim City would be neat, but how in God's name would you do that with a ROM? I know they could hack it in there and have some half-assed setup where moving the Wii Remote would give the game a "signal" as if the user were pressing the directional pad in the specified direction (e.g., pointing to the left would equate to pressing left on the directional pad), but that would probably work very crappily.

Rlan

loosus said:
Wii Remote controls for, say, Sim City would be neat, but how in God's name would you do that with a ROM? I know they could hack it in there and have some half-assed setup where moving the Wii Remote would give the game a "signal" as if the user were pressing the directional pad in the specified direction (e.g., pointing to the left would equate to pressing left on the directional pad), but that would probably work very crappily.

I believe Sim City may have had Mouse Support, for the one that came with Mario Paint. It was used for Lemmings too.

Rlan said:
I believe Sim City may have had Mouse Support, for the one that came with Mario Paint. It was used for Lemmings too.
Nah, Sim City came out waaaaaaay before the mouse. It came out nigh-at launch.

In other news, with the upcoming release of Super Metroid, I can finally unhook my SNES from my TV and put it away. Good bye, old friend. I'm afraid you have been made redundant.

(Other than fits of ZAMN for now, anyway HINT F'N HINT LUCAS/KONAMI)

Ranger X

sp0rsk said:
Hopefully they start "updating" these games.

Wiimote controls like they promised damn't.

I doubt this would happen. If it's to enhance your overall experience they will go Wii Ware i think. The Virtual Console side seems to be for the retro gaming in it's original form. It's nice they enhance the N64 games already mind you.

It would be cool if they start doing remakes of old games maybe. Maybe recode some.
Imagine "Starfox 60". SNES Starfox but running at 60 fps. I would totally buy this in a heart beat.

Jiggy

Ranger X said:
Ok seriously.

There will be. In five years, though, hmm.

On an entirely different note, not related to putting up games, I wonder if it would be possible for Nintendo to somehow extract the music files from VC games, convert them into MP3s, and sell them for download to your SD card. There aren't many games up now that I'd buy the soundtrack for (though some I would), but Super Metroid was what got me thinking about it.

Sanjuro

I don't think they need to enhance anything with the games. However I'm all for alternations to the graphics and master quest like versions of the games to be there as an option before you choose to play your game.

Right now I have been loving Link to the Past again. I had a copy of the GBA version at work. Went to go play that as well and forgot the reason I didn't play it again on that was every time I swung the sword he yelped like in the games.

Also Super Mario Bros. 2 jumping Luigi in Super Mario 3/World is a sin.

Sharp

Okay guys if Super Metroid does not come out this Monday, but comes out the Monday following it, I will not be here for it. This is a catastrophe of MAJOR proportions. I need to know who I can trust to carry my torch and launch the official NeoGAF Super Metroid Campaign, where the ultimate goal is for every Wii owner on GAF to acquire the game. Is there any man, woman or child out there who is willing to bear the load of this awesome responsibility? Again, this is assuming it comes out a week from Monday; if it comes out this Monday or a week after that, I'm all over it, though if it comes out this Monday I will probably not be online in time to create the thread so someone else will have to.

Sharp said:
Okay guys if Super Metroid does not come out this Monday, but comes out the Monday following it, I will not be here for it. This is a catastrophe of MAJOR proportions. I need to know who I can trust to carry my torch and launch the official NeoGAF Super Metroid Campaign, where the ultimate goal is for every Wii owner on GAF to acquire the game. Is there any man, woman or child out there who is willing to bear the load of this awesome responsibility? Again, this is assuming it comes out a week from Monday; if it comes out this Monday or a week after that, I'm all over it, though if it comes out this Monday I will probably not be online in time to create the thread so someone else will have to.
Why not write up the text ahead of time and elect someone to post the thread for you? I mean it's not like you'll need to do any updating of the OP unless there's something very different about the VC version.

Hmm now that I'm rereading your post, it looks like you suggested exactly what I just said. I can't tell if you want someone to create their own super-thread with their own insight or use your text. Care to clarify?

Sharp

EphemeralDream said:
Why not write up the text ahead of time and elect someone to post the thread for you? I mean it's not like you'll need to do any updating of the OP unless there's something very different about the VC version.

Hmm now that I'm rereading your post, it looks like you suggested exactly what I just said. I can't tell if you want someone to create their own super-thread with their own insight or use your text. Care to clarify?
I want someone to make the thread, and also push the game everywhere possible. The more people know about it the better! I don't care much about the specific text, so long as it conveys how awesome Super Metroid is and how important it is that everyone play it, but the title shouldn't just be "Super Metroid on VC", it should have some sort of hook that makes people who haven't played Super Metroid but own Wiis click anyway.

TJ Spyke

Rlan said:

SimCity was a SNES launch game (August 1991). Mario Paint (and the SNES mouse) released almost a year later in August 1992.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Just call the thread: You're not LTTP! Super Metroid - Game of the Forever!!! or something like that. Screw R-Type Tactics... (not that R-Type Tactics isn't awesome though) :D

Sharp

Tremis said:
Just call the thread: You're not LTTP! Super Metroid - Game of the Forever!!! or something like that. Screw R-Type Tactics... (not that R-Type Tactics isn't awesome though) :D
Sounds good but don't forget to mention it's on the Wii/VC. In fact type out "Virtual Console" for the casuals. Are there any casuals on GAF? If not, it's for the lurkers. That title gets the general idea right though!

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Nintendo, I love you. Once we've got Super Metroid, just give us Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Kirby Super Star, and Super Mario RPG and I can die a happy man.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Hopefully Metroid and Super sell well on VC that nintendo understands that people want to see more 2D metroid in the future. Man, I really want to go back and play Fusion again and Zero for the first time.

Sharp said:
I need to know who I can trust to carry my torch and launch the official NeoGAF Super Metroid Campaign, where the ultimate goal is for every Wii owner on GAF to acquire the game.

I already own it for Super NES, as I'm sure many others do. Fission Mailed?

Sharp

Cheesemeister said:
I already own it for Super NES, as I'm sure many others do. Fission Mailed?
Download it anyway. You know your battery won't last forever, it only costs eight dollars, and you'll be sending the keen message to Nintendo that Wii owners enjoy incredible games / more 2D Metroid. Also 480p or whatever those fancy HDTV fellows are always babbling about.

Sharp said:
I want someone to make the thread, and also push the game everywhere possible. The more people know about it the better! I don't care much about the specific text, so long as it conveys how awesome Super Metroid is and how important it is that everyone play it, but the title shouldn't just be "Super Metroid on VC", it should have some sort of hook that makes people who haven't played Super Metroid but own Wiis click anyway.
Admirable campaign I'd say, and hopefully it'd help to sway some of the minds here who are too concerned with VC being a bunch of ROM dumps to see the magic here. A game being rereleased for the first time in over 12 years at a much cheaper price than anything on eBay, on an excellent controller with top of the line visual quality? A moment not to be missed, no matter your fanboy bias. This is THE title that represents an absolute understanding of 2D gameplay and polish. It is an absolute essential game to play in every gamer's life as this is the standard of 2D excellence that all games in this vein would strive to obtain.

Sharp said:
Download it anyway. You know your battery won't last forever, it only costs eight dollars, and you'll be sending the keen message to Nintendo that Wii owners enjoy incredible games / more 2D Metroid. Also 480p or whatever you fancy HDTV fellows are always babbling about.

No, I'd rather spend that money on games I haven't played before.

Top Bottom