• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey / Sekaiju no Meikyuu (Impressions Post #106)

ethelred

slayn said:
...why would you do this? They don't talk. They don't do anything... they... they just bash things and die a lot.

Kazuya Niinou said:
How to use your imagination
When your party stays at the Inn overnight, what do they eat?

If you ever catch yourself wondering that, then you know you've formed an attachment to your characters.

With Etrian Odyssey's characters, you only give them a name and a portrait, so no matter how you think of the character, it's technically just your imagination. But even in that case, without your imagination, the character is nothing.

For example, a landsknecht who uses an axe might eat his meat with his bare hands and no utensils, but one who wields a sword might prefer a knife and fork at dinner. You might think differently, but... If you can imagine small details like that, you might find that you enjoy this kind of RPG even more.

The essence of an RPG is using numbers to make calculated decisions, but if you invest those "numbers" with your own feelings, you can spice up the game a little. Think about this:

In your party of five, three characters are dead. Two of them are alive, but they only have a couple of HP left, and no TP. They're certain to die in their next turn, giving you a game over. Number-wise, those characters are useless, but how do you imagine they feel about that? What kind of people are those 2 characters who are about to die? Try to imagine things like that in the brief time before your game ends.

Are they a landsknecht and a ronin, who'll die facing the enemy and laughing?
Is it a protector, ordering the weak medic to run with his last breath?

The game over screen looks the same every time, but in your imagination, it could play out very differently.

The game itself isn't that big of a thing; what you imagine for yourself is much more fun. We hope that the player uses this game as a tool, to create dramatic and fun situations in your own minds.

K?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I play a lot of western rpgs. I give them names and thats the end of it.

It's not like said background is going to be used in the game at all.

Avalon

slayn said:

If you want to think about it like that is completely fine, but you are missing the entire point.

duckroll

Error said:
so uh... I have a question

are skills tied to weapons? like if I want to use a whip skill I need to have a whip equipped?

I kinda want to use the DH 'Drain' move but it's a sword skill :(

Yes, they're tied to weapons. That's why you don't waste skill points on the Swordsman's axe skills unless you're seriously thinking of using an axe.

FOE spoilers(?) below

Ragelopes were actually pretty disappointing as an FOE. All it did was Scream, and, uh... well, it didn't work on my characters, whatever it was supposed to do.

Kuyutha has this weird trait to attack last one round, and then attacking first next round, so essentially it gets a double attack. My poor Dark Hunter went down after receiving a Rampage + Attack to the face. :( Still, managed to beat it up pretty handily.

I avoided the B3F FOE since everyone's talking about how they're a huge jump in challenge. Currently attempting to harvest sufficient Gum Hides.

Man, this game is so awesome.

ethelred

slidewinder said:
Speaking of 2-hit, anybody got a feel for about how often it triggers when maxed out?

It's not triggering with every attack or anything, but I'm pretty satisfied with my maxed out 2-hit. It's randomized, obviously, so I can't give a solid percentage, but I'm happy with it. In protracted FOE battles (which is where the skill's really useful, since it doesn't activate if you one-shot an enemy), I ususally get a few double attacks for a good bit of extra damage.

The fact that it's a passive skill is nice, too, since TP isn't my landsknecht's strong point.

White Man

Man, I am loving this game. My only real complaint is that the monsters don't drop kewl random, equippable loot, but I can live with that. I actually dig this a ton more than Odin Sphere.

slayn

Does anyone know the % chance to bind for the various binding skills? If, for example, you have both a hunter and a survivalist, is a survivalists disable just as like to bind at level 10 as a hunter's level 10 leg bind? Worse? How much worse?

I know a hexer's skills are supposed to be more effective but they don't do damage. But I'm curious how much better/worse they are.

firex

I just got my copy today, and I already got a game over:
I fell for the venomfly trap.
I like how they don't hold back even on the first floor...

So I'm barely into it, I literally just played for a couple hours at most. But I'm really liking the party I made - Protector, Dark Hunter, Troubadour, Alchemist, and Medic. I'm kind of getting the feeling I would be better off dumping the bard temporarily so I can level everyone else up though. But the bard's pretty much got the same role for me as an archer-built bard in d&d would (buffing and ranged attacking), which is nice. It's no slouch either. I mainly picked Dark Hunter over Landshneckt (or however the hell you spell that) because it seems to be about equal for damage dealing, but it can bind anything. I'm really surprised at how strong the Alchemist is though. I mean, it's got all the typical wizard frailties, but right out of the gate I can blast the hell out of enemies and I've only got 1 point into Fire. I did decide I'd also go with Ice though, so that way I have 2 elements covered. But I'm a horrible, horrible powergamer who's going to wind up min/maxing stuff until I've got an incredibly broken party.

ethelred

White Man said:
Man, I am loving this game. My only real complaint is that the monsters don't drop kewl random, equippable loot, but I can live with that. I actually dig this a ton more than Odin Sphere.

I'm cool with that, because I really like the system whereby you trade in the junk you get to unlock cool equippables. It makes it more of a surprise -- you never really know what you're going to get, what exactly the requirements are for a certain piece of equipment... as ducky said, it randomizes things a lot.

My only real complaint is the lack of some kind of vault. I really wish I could go and store some of the essential items, or good healing items, when I'm going on item grinding runs. That item management issue really the only thing bugging me here.

noonche

Yeah, any complaints that I have about this game are just nit-picking. By the time I'm done it'll probably be my favorite DS game. It's already in the top 5.

White Man

So, I know I'm getting ahead of myself since the game first came out and all, but was this game successful in Japan? Is there going to be a sequel?

I think I Fed up. I thought in this game you made the dungeons, not draw just the maps for them. So when the guard dude says finish the map I made all these crazy elaborate designs and when he said finish it I made some more. Is there a way to just undo everything you've done on a floor or will I have to redo the whole thing? I probably will just restart the thing if I feel like playing it again.

White Man said:
So, I know I'm getting ahead of myself since the game first came out and all, but was this game successful in Japan? Is there going to be a sequel?
Looking at the old sales threads, it debuted at 32,511 in 8th place for the week, then dropped like a stone to 44, but hung on few weeks at 40, 39, and 45th before falling off the charts. So it's probably somewhere around 40-50k.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Ugh, I had everyone at level 7 and was *makes tiny space between fingers* that close to defeating the first FOE. :(

White Man said:
Earlier on in this thread you can see duckroll renouncing Atlus for under shipping the game so badly he couldn't find a copy, so the game probably did better than they expected.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
TelemachusD said:
Looking at the old sales threads, it debuted at 32,511 in 8th place for the week, then dropped like a stone to 44, but hung on few weeks at 40, 39, and 45th before falling off the charts. So it's probably somewhere around 40-50k.
it was around 80k when it dropped off out of the charts.

duckroll

White Man said:

The director quit, so who knpws. :lol

Llyranor

I don't create backstories for my characters, but I do get attached to them. What I create are stories that happen within the game. Not 'make believe' roleplaying stories, but gameplay stories. The characters go through tough battles, fun battles, awesome battles. So yeah, attachment.

Well if anything they did one thing right with Etrian Odyssey, instill fear.

I've been slowly working my way through the first floor in the second stratum and it's been a tough go so far. Even with characters in the high teens and low twenties there's still the occassional normal enemy that can one hit kill. Nevermind the FOE's. Anyhow, like I said I was grinding my way through B6F when I decided I had had enough and needed to return to town to rest up and save what progress I had made, only to discover that I hadn't bought any bloody warp wires.

"Oh shit"

I had to book it back hoping my consumables would last me, hoping I wouldn't get into too many random battles, staring down the enemy encounter display in the corner of my top screen hoping I could make it just a few more steps before the next battle, hoping that no FOE's would catch me in the middle of a random encounter or that no bloody Sloth's were in the regular encounters.

Avalon

jj984jj said:
Earlier on in this thread you can see duckroll renouncing Atlus for under shipping the game so badly he couldn't find a copy, so the game probably did better than they expected.

Their goal was 100k but because of the DS card shortage or whatever the hell happened they ended up only half of that. I'm not sure if they consider that a success.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Alright, now I think I've FULLY explored B1F-B6F (as much as possible, anyway), so it's back to B7F. Not really looking forward to any more of those hazard tiles... :/

One thing that does annoy me is the single save slot. I'd like to let my friend play, but he isn't touching my guys, and even if he makes new characters, the first 9 floors are already mapped out and I don't want him exploring ahead of me (or spending my hard earned en) either. I suppose he could start a new game and not save, but if he wiped out all his progress would be lost. Oh well, he'll just have to buy it himself, if he can find it.

Level 30 now, and I finally got the one turn kill drop from the Stalker.

Can anybody help me out with the "Identity unknown" quest. I forgot which floor I'm supposed to be looking on.

Mejilan said:
Alright, now I think I've FULLY explored B1F-B6F (as much as possible, anyway), so it's back to B7F. Not really looking forward to any more of those hazard tiles... :/
There's a nice shortcut on 7 that lets you skip most of those tiles.

Speaking of which, do you mark those on your map? I thought about it, but wasn't sure which icon to use, so I ended up not bothering.

ethelred

Avalon said:
Their goal was 100k but because of the DS card shortage or whatever the hell happened they ended up only half of that. I'm not sure if they consider that a success.

As Error said, the game ended up at 77k for sure, probably around 80kish the last time we got Famitsu numbers on it.

Not quite as solid in sales as they may have hoped, but not a complete disaster, and given the costs involved I'm sure it wasn't a loss of money -- though either way, cranking out a sequel reusing the assets and engine of the original would be a good way to pile more profit on anyway.

duckroll said:
The director quit, so who knpws. :lol

R&D1 should give it to the TC: Second Opinion guy. He's already shown a good ability at taking Niinou's games and sprucing them up in a follow-through. :)

Mejilan

TelemachusD said:
Can anybody help me out with the "Identity unknown" quest. I forgot which floor I'm supposed to be looking on.

IIRC, B6F, section D-1 of the map, only for the 10AM hour of any given day.

I figured as much, but I've got to find it first! I cleared right out of there after taking out 1 Assassin FOE and finding the Clear Key!

Speaking of which, do you mark those on your map? I thought about it, but wasn't sure which icon to use, so I ended up not bothering.

If I suspect a secret door, I mark it with an E(vent) icon + comment.
If it IS a secret door, I'll change that to an uncommented door icon, in the event of a 2-way door.
1-way doors merit the door icon + comment explaining the direction flow. (Neat bonus, when you add a comment to a properly position door icon, the comment's message is viewable on the main screen from BOTH sides...

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
TelemachusD said:
One thing that does annoy me is the single save slot. I'd like to let my friend play, but he isn't touching my guys, and even if he makes new characters, the first 9 floors are already mapped out and I don't want him exploring ahead of me (or spending my hard earned en) either. I suppose he could start a new game and not save, but if he wiped out all his progress would be lost. Oh well, he'll just have to buy it himself, if he can find it.

Level 30 now, and I finally got the one turn kill drop from the Stalker.

About the save slot. I'm sure that single save slot uses all the save space. it needs space for every floor's map data, location notes, and many many character info. I'm curious how much save space is on each cart.

And I generally mark shortcuts as an unbordered pathway mark between the two walls.

duckroll

ethelred said:
R&D1 should give it to the TC: Second Opinion guy. He's already shown a good ability at taking Niinou's games and sprucing them up in a follow-through. :)

Err.... so he directs one port and he's an expert at improving Niinous games? :p

He's a battle planner for the SMT series first and foremost. I'm sure Atlus wants him working on SMT4 instead meddling with portable games. After all Niinou left Atlus partly because he wasn't happy with how they were lowering budgets on everything, I'm not really expecting much anymore. :p

Victrix

*beard*
jaundicejuice said:
I had to book it back hoping my consumables would last me, hoping I wouldn't get into too many random battles, staring down the enemy encounter display in the corner of my top screen hoping I could make it just a few more steps before the next battle, hoping that no FOE's would catch me in the middle of a random encounter or that no bloody Sloth's were in the regular encounters.

Run from everything. Escape is extremely reliable, even from FOEs. When I'm going mapping in a new area, I use the Enemy Away spray, and/or the less enemy encounters ability, then just run from anything while I explore (barring groups I can 1hko with an aoe attack)

Slogging through every fight = blech

duckroll said:
He's a battle planner for the SMT series first and foremost. I'm sure Atlus wants him working on SMT4 instead meddling with portable games. After all Niinou left Atlus partly because he wasn't happy with how they were lowering budgets on everything, I'm not really expecting much anymore. :p

Why do you know this?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
slayn said:

I am a bit more attached than just giving names.. but I don't think how my characters eat or if they are laughing at the enemy before they die... I am attached because I decide how they will grow.. in what direction they go as a character..

duckroll

Victrix said:
crazy moon language :(

It's a longass interview where Niinou talks about joining Image Epoch, the change in environment, etc. While I liked how he was rather frank about his views on the industry, it's disappointing that there's pretty much zero information about what he's actually working on at Image Epoch at the moment. :(

slayn

woo, just beat
fenrir
with my level 15 party. First attempt, no casualties. That was intense though. My alch spent his entire mana trying to land level 10 poison and never got it.

Whats so bad about the ice attack btw? I bound his head in the beginning, but it eventually wore off. He used it on me and it did like 30 damage to one person?

Victrix

*beard*
no bind available + after defender and shelter it would hit for over 100 damage on my L, who was the only party member who could do any damage to him (ice specced A, T, P, M as rest of party)

slayn

hmmm...

I also cuffed him, which I suspect severely lessons physical attack damage. Maybe it lessened the damage of cold fang as well? I also had a level 6 defender up.

My Protector used the blaze oil and just wailed on him for 100 or so damage a shot, and my hunter and survivalist each did about 30/shot. My alch used all his mana for nothing and then sat and, I dunno, played cards with my medic or something while my front line slugged it out. It took a while, but I eventually took him down. The minions were one step away from joining the battle when I finished him.

Mejilan

Woohoo! Farmed some of the new beasties in the hidden area of B3F and upon dumping my loot, unlocked a SICK new axe for my L (+77 Atk, +3 Str), a new bow for my S (+39 Atk), a new shield for my P (+10 Def, Fire Resist Up), and a new armor for my front line (+12 Def, +9 HP)!

Sick equipment!

So I continued mapping B7F, which turned out disappointingly small. Found the shortcut secret door that avoids most of the hazard tiles, and even the wrong end of another (eventual) two-way secret door that will connect to a new area, presumably later.

BF8 is even smaller (as far as what I can access), and I found TWO two-way secret doors (again from the wrong end), which will later lead to new areas.
Now back to B7F to take out that baddie that made the B8F healing spring dry up!

justchris

Just got to B7F last night (after a rather harrowing run through B6F, I started exploring after I knew I could take Moas & Cutters, and ended up fighting more FOEs than I expected, but didn't want to run back to town and have to do the long walk over again...yeah, I live dangerously). I mark the hazard tiles with the pit marker, just as a sort of 'this space is bad for you' type thing. But for anyone who's already been through B7F, about how many of these tiles are there? Is the entire floor covered with them? And what type of damage do they do?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out myself during lunch. They're not too huge a deal as long as you watch your health.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I'm wandering around B8F on my 5 days of hell. Day one is finally over. I should have waited till I explored B9F more to give me more space to walk around. I don't want to just walk back and forth to pass time, kinda goes against the spirit of the quest. I wish there were some FOEs here to fight. The quest would be great if there was no spring too. It's just too easy if you can keep healing. Probably the most pansy ass thing they've done. Course I could wander without the spring, but my guys aren't stupid, since they know about it. Oh well, back to it.

Just got this game yesterday (damn you, slow shipping!) and I'm loving it. The idea of "exploring the unknown" is a great hook and the minimalist story actually supports this concept really well. Only at B2F but I love how the game doesn't let you just rip through the labyrinth.

firex

I'm addicted as hell. Just barely broke into B2F and if it weren't for needing to recharge my DS, I'd be playing it now.

justchris

firex said:
I'm addicted as hell. Just barely broke into B2F and if it weren't for needing to recharge my DS, I'd be playing it now.

Heh, when I'm at home, I play while charging.

The DS is pretty much the perfect system for this style of game. Super hard, with save points few and far between. Whenever I have to stop playing I just put it in sleep mode and move on. Since I got this game, I've only turned my DS off to go to bed for the day.

noonche

Alright. I'm stuck. B12F. Little help?

I'm supposed to be finding soldier's and mapping B11F & B12F. The game's told me that B11F is 'good enough'. I've beaten up all the red-ant FOE things on B12F. And gone everywhere I can find, but it isn't enough. I must have missed a secret door, or a soldier somewhere. There's also a nest or something, but I haven't figured out what to do with it yet.

Top Bottom