• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/12 - 11/18 2007

tanod

when is my burrito
Grecco said:
Moku is more of an Xfan than a Ninthing though at least recently

That's news to me. His "SMG 9.5 review meltdown" performance got him a Hero of the Web on GFW radio.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
JoshuaJSlone said:
This has become a weekly favorite recently, but here is (Famitsu) Wii 2007 and PS2 2001-2003 in November.

Official Famitsu numbers being a bit behind these early rounded things we get, this week would be week 4 on that list; well ahead of PS2 2001 and 2002. I'm not sure what was pushing PS2 so much in earlier November 2003; GCN and GBA software was at the top of the charts. Late November had Hot Shots Golf 4, though.

Interesting. Thanks for the fresh dose of perspective. Will you agree that next week needs to be big for Wii?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Crusade said:
I've disturbed the hive. Obviously I can't talk about Sony doing well, even when they are doing well when it comes to Media-Create threads?:D

You are doing something very wrong when spwolf's posts are more sensible than yours.

linsivvi

Parl said:
6y0shmv.jpg

:lol :lol

Only people who frequent MC threads can associate this pic with a particular video game.

Lightning

Banned
Dante said:
Awesome to see PS3 doing well, can't wait to see if GT5P gives it a nice spike.
I think that the fact it's December should boost sales or prevent any major drops. I am looking forward to see how GT5P sells software wise mostly. It should do very well.

WinFonda

Go Heavenly Sword!

PS3 is selling quite well these past few weeks. I hope we see this neck and neck battle with the Wii for a long time to come in Japan.

Hesemonni

Banned
WinFonda said:
PS3 is selling quite well these past few weeks. I hope we see this neck and neck battle with the Wii for a long time to come in Japan.
:lol

And then you woke up and faced the reality.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hesemonni said:
:lol

And then you woke up and faced the reality.

I think people on both sides need to just shut it for a few weeks and see what happens.

Lightning

Banned
schuelma said:
I think people on both sides need to just shut it for a few weeks and see what happens.
I agree. All this situation has done is prove that there are VERY few members can handle success of any other consolec other then the one they support.

Nolan.

If Sony's really serious about taking the no1 spot in Japan then those numbers aren't much. Though they are better than the grim numbers they were doing before. I think it kind of proves that pricing really F'ed them up though.

Lobster

Banned
*Guaraná said:
This week Famitsu numbers:

1. Dragon Quest IV (DS) - 602,000
2. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS2) - 305,000
3. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS3) - 145,000
4. Mario Party DS (DS) - 97,000(454,000)
5. Mega Man Star Force 2 (DS) - 84,000
6. Final Fantasy XI Altana (PS2) - 83,000
7. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii) - 67,000
8. Dinosaur King - 7 Pieces (DS) - 53,000
9. ぱちんこ必殺仕事人III パチってちょんまげ達人13 (PS2) - 42,000
10.Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - 37,000

other new games
11.ワンタメ ミュージックチャンネル どこでもスタイル (DS) 34,000
18.FFXI360 13000
20.WE360 12000
外.AIR (PSP) 6900
外.Dokapon Kingdom (PS2) 6800
外.四八 6500
外.Final Fantasy XI: The Vana'diel Collection (PS2) 4600
外.Medal of Honor: Airborne (360) 3500
外.Final Fantasy XI: The Vana'diel Collection (360) 3200
外.Gegege no Kitarou (Wii) 2000
外.Kouenji Joshi Soccer 2: Koi wa Nebagiba Kouenji (DS) 1600

DSL 116,000
PSP 89,000
PS2 15,000
PS3 58,000
Wii 47,000
360 5,800

NO NO NO!

Capcom WTF? Did you not reship Umbrella Chronicles or something? It better be 12 :mad:

Oh and Mario and Sonic did better then I expected.

PSP is selling too much compared to the softwaresales on the platform.
Weird situation for softwaredevelopers. Huge userbase, but nobody buys games for it (only the expensive big-budget games like FF and MH).
Should a developer put effort in the PSP or not??

Ruud_Luiten said:
PSP is selling too much compared to the softwaresales on the platform.
Weird situation for softwaredevelopers. Huge userbase, but nobody buys games for it (only the expensive big-budget games like FF and MH).
Should a developer put effort in the PSP or not??

Yes, it should. Not as into the DS, but definitely PSP is a big opportunity for developers now in Japan.
But there is a big risk: PSP software sales have little correlation with hardware. I'm the first that don't understand these absurd PSP sales with only 4-5 games in the top 30.

Lobster

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Yes, it should. Not as into the DS, but definitely PSP is a big opportunity for developers now in Japan.
But there is a big risk: PSP software sales have little correlation with hardware. I'm the first that don't understand these absurd PSP sales with only 4-5 games in the top 30.

Its might be the new design effect. All that needs to be seen is if it can stay there longer without games.

Jiggy

Any week where DS returns to outselling all three home consoles is just fine by me.

On a separate note, maybe I missed it while skimming five pages, but how are those DQIV first week numbers in relation to the first weeks of other DQ remakes? I'd like to be able to say "Excellent numbers for a remake of an excellent game," but without any real context I can't quite do it.

iidesuyo

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Just two weeks ago, Castelvania on PSP did well (for CV standards). Also there weren't that many highlights released recently, since most developers have jumped the DS train when the PSP was trailing way behind DS in weekly sales. This may change in the mid-future. I don't think the last word is spoken, PSP is a future-proof machine that can still be improved in every regard.

ksamedi

I highly doubt there has been as much software sales for the PSP as hardware sales, even if it did, I can't asume that the existing userbase bought nothing. This means the PSP lites are selling to existing PSP owners.

Luckyman

Banned
Why is anyone excited over how much WiiFit sells hardware. That market won't do much for Wii´s pathetic software sales in HC games.

diddlyD

Banned
hey look another 90,000 psp's sold. hey look another 0 units of psp software sold. wtf are all these people buying psp's for? its some worldwide phenomenon. i think the ps3 is starting to catch the disease too, at least in the US.

diddlyD

Banned
ksamedi said:
I highly doubt there has been as much software sales for the PSP as hardware sales, even if it did, I can't asume that the existing userbase bought nothing. This means the PSP lites are selling to existing PSP owners.

so, existing psp owners, who already have no games for the system, rush out to buy the new model? the situation makes no sense no matter how you look at it. maybe psp games are accidentally being tracked as hentai dvd's or something.

ksamedi

Luckyman said:
Why is anyone excited over how much WiiFit sells hardware. That market won't do much for Wii´s pathetic software sales in HC games.

Hardcore software sales are not pathetic. I think the Musou games would do much better if they were on Wii for instance.

ksamedi

diddlyD said:
so, existing psp owners, who already have no games for the system, rush out to buy the new model? the situation makes no sense no matter how you look at it. maybe psp games are accidentally being tracked as hentai dvd's or something.

Atleast the PSP sales were lower back then, now we can all confirm that PSP hardware is bought without games.

ksamedi is right of course, PSP sold 90k units and Air was released, hence Air should have sold 90k x 5 (each customer must buy 5 games per system), thus 450k.

But you know, this is Famitsu, they are undertracking Air by 443k, MC will have Air at 450k, just you wait. As in wait for the real data, not false data from that magazine with awesome reviews!

diddlyD said:

What are they being accidentally tracked as in the US? PSP games not selling is a worldwide phenomenon.
I do think existing PSP owners are grabbing the new model. I did, and so did my friend, but we also buy games for it, so we're the odd men out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Most of the people I know with PSPs really love them when they first buy them, but quickly switch back to their iPod for photos, videos and music, get fed up with the web browser and either use their laptops or nothing at all, and buy games only occasionally. I think when people trot out the "YARR PSP SELLS GAMES DON'T MUST BE PIRATES", they're ignoring that Sony's convergence strategy is not a total failure; many people who buy PSPs do not do so for the games, pirated or not.

ksamedi

Stumpokapow said:
Most of the people I know with PSPs really love them when they first buy them, but quickly switch back to their iPod for photos, videos and music, get fed up with the web browser and either use their laptops or nothing at all, and buy games only occasionally. I think when people trot out the "YARR PSP SELLS GAMES DON'T MUST BE PIRATES", they're ignoring that Sony's convergence strategy is not a total failure; many people who buy PSPs do not do so for the games, pirated or not.

Why would anyone buy a PSP for anything else but games? The funny thing is that you could be right, but with such a horrible interface for anything but gaming I would find that quite surprising.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ksamedi said:
Why would anyone buy a PSP for anything else but games? The funny thing is that you could be right, but with such a horrible interface for anything but gaming I would find that quite surprising.

Well, even discarding my anecdotal data--look at Sony's North America advertising. Goofy indie rockers dancing around and showing road trip pictures to each other. That's what the PSP's image is to a lot of people. An iPod-style media device.

Look at the box, even. You see the PSP with the cross media bar--photos, music, and videos are all more visible than games. Actually, I have no idea what the PSP slim box looks like, so it might be different, but certainly my early PSP the packaging sold it as a media device rather than a gaming system.

Grecco

Stumpokapow said:

Im confused. Your saying alot of people arent using the media convergence of the PSP and this is why its software sales suck?

Stumpokapow said:
Well, even discarding my anecdotal data--look at Sony's North America advertising. Goofy indie rockers dancing around and showing road trip pictures to each other. That's what the PSP's image is to a lot of people. An iPod-style media device.

Look at the box, even. You see the PSP with the cross media bar--photos, music, and videos are all more visible than games. Actually, I have no idea what the PSP slim box looks like, so it might be different, but certainly my early PSP the packaging sold it as a media device rather than a gaming system.

So, the next thing to say is that PSP is not a true videogames handheld system, but only an hybrid.

So here's a different way of looking at PSP software sales. I first took the DS and PSP percents from Famitsu's software pie data. Then I created a "Pseudo-PSP" out of DS's data, projecting what DS's percent might've been, adjusted to having the same hardware numbers as PSP at that time.

Looking at the result, PSP actual does beat Pseudo-PSP for about the first 17 weeks. From then on, very rarely. In the last year, Pseudo-PSP is frequently double or triple PSP actual. Whatever the reason, PSP is just not a machine big on software.
20071128pseudopsp.png

ksamedi said:
Hardcore software sales are not pathetic. I think the Musou games would do much better if they were on Wii for instance.
I wish we had a chance to find out how the regular ones would do. PSP has just had its fourth (?) announced, Xbox and X360 get multiplatform releases of most PlayStation versions, while Wii has had Samurai Warriors Wave.
iidesuyo said:
I doubt that. Then the PSP wouldn't pull great numbers week after week.
Well, I know all 6 million of them didn't upgrade on the first week.

Lightning

Banned
BishopLamont said:
You guys are failing to see his point. The PSP is marketed in much the same way as the PS3, media first, games second. That's the problem.
The PS3 is starting to get marketed correctly though, much more game orientated ads coming for the system. PS3 software salse are decent considering the userbase so PS3 owners are buying games. The same cannot be said for the PSP.

Talamius

I'm wondering if we'll see the same discrepancy between the PS3 Famitsu and MC numbers we saw last week. What could account for that?

Lightning said:
The PS3 is starting to get marketed correctly though, much more game orientated ads coming for the system. PS3 software salse are decent considering the userbase so PS3 owners are buying games. The same cannot be said for the PSP.

Yes but for the past year the PS3 is seen as the "Blu-Ray player". Will it get rid of this stigma? One can only hope.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Grecco said:
Im confused. Your saying alot of people arent using the media convergence of the PSP and this is why its software sales suck?

I'm saying a lot of people are buying the PSP for its convergence uses... and then after discovering that they aren't that fantastic (they aren't awful either, for sure) they stop using them for that.

I'm saying that looking at the PSP's hardware base and saying "Here are <x> million people who should be buying games but aren't. Why not? PIRACY!" might be a little bit misguided because it ignores the fact that above and beyond the usual bums who buy the system and then barely use it, there are a ton of people who aren't buying this system for the games to begin with.

Lightning said:

I also think that the PS3 is a better media device for its niche than the PSP is for its. Whereas I believe the iPod is categorically superior to the PSP in terms of its media uses at a similar pricepoint (PSP ~= iPod Nano price. PSP + Good memory stick ~= iPod price. Approximation, I know), I can't think of many home entertainment products that are better than the PSP.

If you want to get much better, you'd have to build a Media Center PC which would be in the $1000+ range varying largely on whether or not you want to use it to rip stuff or just play stuff and whether or not you have pre-existing storage solutions. If you wanted Blu-Ray / HD-DVD, you'd have to pony up for the $200+ drives. The PS3 is a GREAT value proposition as a media player.

Busaiku

JoshuaJSlone said:
I wish we had a chance to find out how the regular ones would do. PSP has just had its fourth (?) announced, Xbox and X360 get multiplatform releases of most PlayStation versions, while Wii has had Samurai Warriors Wave.
While not exactly Koei's Musou games, Basara Heroes may be able to tell the fate of potential Wii Musou games in the future.
It's out this week right?

ksamedi

Busaiku said:
While not exactly Koei's Musou games, Basara Heroes may be able to tell the fate of potential Wii Musou games in the future.

The Wii version hasn't showed up on Amazon while the PS2 version did. Both are going to sell low numbers though (uuh or not). Capcom is expecting 200k worldwide from the Wii version.

So I did the same thing with Wii and PS3 as I did with DS and PSP. Depending on how you look at it, things are either up for Wii or down for PS3. For most of the first half year or so even adjusted Pseudo-PS3 was beating PS3 actual handily, but over the last few months they've stayed pretty even, so the userbases seem to be equally active lately.

You can see PS3 spikes at the end there, since the latest software pie data we have is for the week including the 40 GB introduction; probably the new few will be PS3-strong as well.
20071128pseudops3.png

Busaiku said:
Beats me. Is that the Capcom one that has no chance of localization? :(

Busaiku

ksamedi said:
The Wii version hasn't showed up on Amazon while the PS2 version did. Both are going to sell low numbers though.
Yeah, going by Moor-Angol's site, they're not quite (ok pretty far from) the sellers as Musou, but it would probably be a better barometer than Musou Katana (which seems to have been a poor effort, but I'm not completely sure on that).

Grecco

BishopLamont said:
You guys are failing to see his point. The PSP is marketed in much the same way as the PS3, media first, games second. That's the problem.

Well PSP hasnt been marketed as a media machine for months. Its been marketed as a game machine probably since December last year. I dont buy the whole Blame Marketing thing. When it comes to PS3, blame sony for trojan horsing Blue ray in the first place.

Stumpokapow said:
I'm saying a lot of people are buying the PSP for its convergence uses... and then after discovering that they aren't that fantastic (they aren't awful either, for sure) they stop using them for that.

I'm saying that looking at the PSP's hardware base and saying "Here are <x> million people who should be buying games but aren't. Why not? PIRACY!" might be a little bit misguided because it ignores the fact that above and beyond the usual bums who buy the system and then barely use it, there are a ton of people who aren't buying this system for the games to begin with.

If people bought it for media then stoped using it, i would think they would at least buy games to make use of the investment no? Piracy is so easy on the PSP, that its pretty obious its a big part as to why its software sales are so mediocre. Imagine if the media was solid state and didnt need memory sticks? PSP software would be doing so much better.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
BishopLamont said:
Yes but for the past year the PS3 is seen as the "Blu-Ray player". Will it get rid of this stigma? One can only hope.

I really really hope so.

Top Bottom