• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl *SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

MaximumCarnage said:
This has probably been asked a few times somewhere in this thread but

What is the state of the pros from Melee? Are people like Ken, Isai, Azen, Chu Dat.... going to keep playing competitively.
I think I read somewhere on Smashboards that Ken is doing one last Melee tournament and calling it quits.
But what about everyone else.

Azen and Chu already have the game and Chu hosted a tournament last weekend I believe. Azen is a beast with Ike.

Haven't read much on Ken who was supposedly quitting like a year ago. Isai never wanted to leave 64 so who knows :lol

Morts

How many copies are Gamestops going to be getting? I found it odd that there were over 100 preorders before me but I was still assured to get the game at the midnight launch.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
ShockingAlberto said:
According to Smash Boards (I think), if you have someone on your Wii list that owns Smash, the game will automatically add them to your Smash list.
I would like to know this as well. Would be great if the game automatically recognized your friend list and added them.

edit: also, does anyone who has played the game know if you can combo into Final smashes? For example if you are playing as link and do a sword slash combo and then immediately activate your FS, kinda like buffering supers in SF...

Firestorm said:
Azen and Chu already have the game and Chu hosted a tournament last weekend I believe. Azen is a beast with Ike.

Haven't read much on Ken who was supposedly quitting like a year ago. Isai never wanted to leave 64 so who knows :lol

I am really wondering if the same players will dominate for this game. I really want them to because its a lot of fun watching them.
But all that time aquiring the skill to wavedash and L cancel cant be used for this game but hopefully new glitches will be found :D .
I was wondering can you still tech in Brawl?

scottnak

MaximumCarnage said:
I am really wondering if the same players will dominate for this game. I really want them to because its a lot of fun watching them.
But all that time aquiring the skill to wavedash and L cancel cant be used for this game but hopefully new glitches will be found :D .

I'm sure there will be a bunch of new guys you'll have as much fun watching man...

And "teching" is still in. It's officially called "Ukemi" by Sakurai! (Check the dojo!)

Firestorm

MaximumCarnage said:

It probably will be. They weren't good because they could wavedash and l-cancel. They were good because of how well they could apply those skills. Hell, Isai was amazing at Melee even though he cared more about 64 and Azen is tops at just about every single game he plays.

You can still tech. The timing is different.

Nabster92

Morts said:
How many copies are Gamestops going to be getting? I found it odd that there were over 100 preorders before me but I was still assured to get the game at the midnight launch.

Well the gamestop next to my campus said they're getting just enough for their preorders and they said they have 375 preorders...and they're apparently doing 3 minute timed matches for only the first 25 people to line up and get in the store at 9, but i think its 4 player matches.

dankir said:
Anybody in Montreal find an early copy?

All I can tell you is that Walmart on Decarie doensn't have it. I'm not sure anyone will, actually. I ended up just preordering at the EBgames next door and they say they're only getting their copies on Sunday.

Firestorm

Ysiadmihi said:
This full minute of "practice time" before an online match is really getting old.

It's for while you wait for the others to make your selections. Like that guy doing the streams the first few days the game was out and kept taking so damn long to pick his character!

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Firestorm said:
It's for while you wait for the others to make your selections. Like that guy doing the streams the first few days the game was out and kept taking so damn long to pick his character!

Actually, both of the guys I'm fighting are on the practice stage at the same time. It forces a countdown.

It could be waiting for a 4th player but...man it's annoying regardless.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
My mate just got Smash here in AU (US copy) I'm sure he'll be in here soon enough to show it off. Gonna try it on my modchip tonight :lol

Ysiadmihi

Banned
tabsina said:
Anyone know how long you can play the masterpieces timed demos?

It varies. Some games like Earthbound and OoT have 5 minutes, while F-Zero and Ice Climbers has under a minute...

They're useless, just another thing to unlock.

Firestorm

Ysiadmihi said:
Actually, both of the guys I'm fighting are on the practice stage at the same time. It forces a countdown.

It could be waiting for a 4th player but...man it's annoying regardless.

Oh for With Anyone I'm sure it's just looking for a 4th player.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Another annoying thing is that the game decides to add CPUs in random matches...randomly. One battle you'll play 1v1 against a person, the next it decides it's going to put CPUs in for no reason.

Nabster92

Ysiadmihi said:
Another annoying thing is that the game decides to add CPUs in random matches...randomly. One battle you'll play 1v1 against a person, the next it decides it's going to put CPUs in for no reason.

How easy is it to tell you're playing a cpu?

Has anyone seen a Chillin Fox video yet. I searched youtube, and it says Azen v. Chillin (not even sure if thats true or not), but Chillin isnt playing with fox.

Or better yet, anyone seen a "pro" level fox in action yet?

Nester

Nabster92 said:
How easy is it to tell you're playing a cpu?

Not at all. I have played two random games online recently. Both had a grey box as the 4th player searching for one and the countdown went all the way down. Got into the game and one game had me against two guys and a CPU, the next had me against two guys by ourselves. It seems random.

I'm enjoying myself, and I'm sure it'll be less of an issue once there's more US players on filling up all 4 slots.

Ysiadmihi said:
It says they're a CPU when the match starts.

Yeah, after the practice screen you can tell at least if you're playing against people and CPUs but It'd be nice to just have you against whoever it can find and skip the CPU option.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
SpeedRazor said:
Yeah, after the practice screen you can tell at least if you're playing against people and CPUs but It'd be nice to just have you against whoever it can find and skip the CPU option.

The most annoying part is the randomness of it. I would be less annoyed if it did it every match. At least then you'd get used to it after awhile...

Who at Nintendo thought this was a good idea? Who plays online to fight bots?! The more I think about it the more pissed I get D:

Nester

Ysiadmihi said:
The most annoying part is the randomness of it. I would be less annoyed if it did it every match. At least then you'd get used to it after awhile...

Who at Nintendo thought this was a good idea? Who plays online to fight bots?! The more I think about it the more pissed I get D:

Yeah, I don't get it. After the first and second match I thought they put the CPU in for the first game only and all matches after that it cut out the CPU but I just turned the game back on for a random match and got two other players, Snake and Ike with no CPU.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
SpeedRazor said:
Yeah, I don't get it. After the first and second match I thought they put the CPU in for the first game only and all matches after that it cut out the CPU but I just turned the game back on for a random match and got two other players, Snake and Ike with no CPU.

I think I was fighting you if you were playing a few minutes ago. Are you getting any lag while playing? I'm finding it damn near impossible to recover after attacking since my actions are so delayed...Wolf's up-B is hell to use with lag.

Nester

Ysiadmihi said:
I think I was fighting you if you were playing a few minutes ago. Are you getting any lag while playing? I'm finding it damn near impossible to recover after attacking since my actions are so delayed...Wolf's up-B is hell to use with lag.

I haven't played anyone that has used wolf yet, so it might not have been me.

There's no one playing random team battle yet. :(

Edit: Well that was random. Had a one on one Wario vs Wario match. I did terrible...trying to get used to Wiimote + Nunchuck after only playing with the Wavebird so far.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
All right! Snake codecs! Makes up for a lousy day at work. :/

By the way, what portion of Earthbound do you get to play in the Masterpiece demo? Do you just start from the beginning or is there a save file that starts you elsewhere in the game?

ShockingAlberto said:
According to Smash Boards (I think), if you have someone on your Wii list that owns Smash, the game will automatically add them to your Smash list.

Hmm, really? That would be pretty cool. Can anyone confirm?

Nemesis_

My US full English copy arrived today to me in Australia. :lol Happy to have it at least 4 days before the ship date in a country where it won't probably come out till June. :D

Pics or it didnt happen: -
(Taken on a shitty Nokia E65, which has no flash or proper correction for low light situations =()

28jl8jp.jpg

i4mt8i.jpg

1567cow.jpg

t0gf3c.jpg

1zoafwx.jpg

334p4ds.jpg

642y3c.jpg

So far, only unlocked Marth. More soon hopefully. I've only been playing SSE for about 3 hour straight. Now to try out Classic and Event modes.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Is it possible that that "phantom CPU players" in online Play Anyone mode are the result of someone linking into a match, then disconnecting too close to the start of a match?

Ydahs

Blizzard said:
Hacked movesets:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZDgjjDnWLM
The pikachu in the first one is the stuff of nightmares...

Eeek!

Nemesis556 said:
My US full English copy arrived today to me in Australia. :lol

So far, only unlocked Marth. More soon hopefully. I've only been playing SSE for about 3 hour straight. Now to try out Classic and Event modes.

Lucky you. I'm one of those who has to wait until June :(

Impressions on SSE? IGN didn't like it too much and I'd much rather have the opinion of a GAFer.

VOOK

Ydahs said:
Impressions on SSE? IGN didn't like it too much and I'd much rather have the opinion of a GAFer.

Good for about a couple of hours, then the next few hours are more of the same. Characters are too slow and clunk except for the fasat ones.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
ShockingAlberto said:

I really, REALLY doubt that's true at all... it would seem to defeat the purpose of the codes. However, if it's true, I'm heavily impressed AND it seems to indicate the tide being turned just a bit.

But...well... it can't be true.

VOOK

Me and Nem just had a battle over Wi-Fi, we are in the same suburb and it lags like a peice of shit.

Nemesis556 said:
My US full English copy arrived today to me in Australia. :lol Happy to have it at least 4 days before the ship date in a country where it won't probably come out till June. :D

What the? I live in the UK, where the hell is my copy!!?? Where did you order from?

Nemesis_

Bad news guys. Seems that I can't hear David Hayter at all during Brawls. There's a few grunts, but it's not him.

Also, all the taunts for Snake are the same thing, the Box taunt. Are there others in the Japanese version?

Finally, completed the Classic mode on Normal with Link, No Toon Link or Jigglypuff. Which is odd. I got Gannondorf by completing Classic on Hard though.

tabsina

VOOK said:
Me and Nem just had a battle over Wi-Fi, we are in the same suburb and it lags like a peice of shit.

damn it.. i guess i'll have to just wait for australia to release it

oh, vook or nemesis, can you please clarify about the thing where if you are already wii friends, it lets you add them automatically in brawl? or is it too late for that?

Nemesis_

Another update. I tried to unlock Wolf using the SSE method.

(Ruins Level, taking the second door)

and it didn't work. I've yet to complete SSE though, so maybe these "backdoors" into character unlocks are only opened when you complete the game.

One things for sure though, the unlocks may have been screwed around with a bit.

VOOK

tabsina said:
damn it.. i guess i'll have to just wait for australia to release it

oh, vook or nemesis, can you please clarify about the thing where if you are already wii friends, it lets you add them automatically in brawl? or is it too late for that?

I added two guys to my list tonight, Nem and another but I dont think Nem’s new Wii is on my list and either is the others guys. None of my other Wii codes were accessible from the list it was all manual.

Funny thing happened when we played multiplayer my Wavebird was killing my Wi-Fi signal to the extent that it made the game like a sideshow. If I let go of the controls worked 100% but send a signal and bam it cuts the game.

DavidDayton said:
I really, REALLY doubt that's true at all... it would seem to defeat the purpose of the codes. However, if it's true, I'm heavily impressed AND it seems to indicate the tide being turned just a bit.

But...well... it can't be true.
Good thing you didn't ban bet that because it's been confirmed: http://revver.com/video/716094/wiwiw/ (at about 4:13)

Hopefully, other developers can use this for WFC and give us the unified Wii code we've wanted since the beginning. That and give the Wii code a purpose aside from sending messages.

Nemesis556 said:

Pics or it didnt happen: -
(Taken on a shitty Nokia E65, which has no flash or proper correction for low light situations =()

28jl8jp.jpg

i4mt8i.jpg

1567cow.jpg

t0gf3c.jpg

1zoafwx.jpg

334p4ds.jpg

642y3c.jpg

What the fuck,how the hell did you get it so early!?

Nemesis_

I contacted a seller in the US who claimed to have a copy, paid him, and it got shipped. Just arrived earlier than expected I'm assuming.

Didn't you guys have copies leaked over there anyway? Why hasn't anyone in AMERICA got the game early, when an Aussie already has it (and has completed 50% of Subspace btw :lol )

EDIT: Snake DOES talk in SSE, and from what I heard it WAS David Hayter. Sorry for the false alarm guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom