• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed By Sony (finally): Fumito Ueda Has Left Sony; Under Contract To Finish TLG

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Honestly, now that we have that Ico/SOTC compilation, my interest in this has waned. If it's a great game, I'll buy it, of course... but if it ends up a disaster, it won't sting that badly.

Reversed

Hopefully the games doesn't lose consistency. Like, "oh this part at the beginning was so beautiful, but what a rushed ending TLG had."

Takao

Banned
Hopefully the games doesn't lose consistency. Like, "oh this part at the beginning was so beautiful, but what a rushed ending TLG had."

I don't think Ueda's pacing is the reason why the game is taking so long. Not having a single piece of the game outsourced when you have a team of 50? That's a reason for having the game take ages.

If he is gonna stay in the games industry and this is just SCEJ being fed up with him and him being fed up with SCEJ I hope he joins another studio instead of starting his own.

Dude had all the money and a abundance of time with team ico but failed to deliver a game.

He doesnt need to be in a 2 year dev cycle but I get the feeling he would be a lot more productive if he had more rules to follow and better producers keeping his vision in check.

I am sure if he wants to stay making big games after TLG then he will be getting plenty of options.

Plus Microsoft will fund anything if it means Don Mattriick can make fun of sony on stage at E3.

The whole thing is a major fuck up on SCEJ's part. They should have stepped in when development was first going off the rails and tried to sort it out.

This could allow for younger developers within SCEJ to prosper and get the chance to have their ideas made into games. A change at the top isn't always a bad thing, even if Ueda is a legend in the Japanese dev scene. Hopefully TLG doesn't suffer, but I will be cautiously optimistic on what SCEJ does in the next few years

AAK

Yeah, no game developer is 7 years worth of dev time good.

Sony's money could be distributed towards a much more effective endeavor.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You think it was SONY that wanted Ueda out? I suspect you may be reading this backwards.

You think Ueda wanted Sony out? The company that bank rolled him for 15 years with absolutely no restrictions on what he could do?

Hex

Banned
One game in seven plus years?
He can go fuck himself.
Outside of drama whore and trolling purposes this is a non issue until he puts something out again.
Someone started buying into their own hype a bit much I believe.

I'm going have to side with Sony with this, as great as he is, you have to produce in a timely fashion, 7 years between games? It's ridiculous

And all the budget and resource needs were at his disposal, he can say goodbye to that

V_Ben

Banned
Ok, that's that over and done with then. Ueda can go and find himself and make strange little projects without public pressure beating down on his back, and Sony can allow some new blood to have a go at making a game in that team. I'm really excited to see what the team will do with a new leader.

Duderz

Banned
You think it was SONY that wanted Ueda out? I suspect you may be reading this backwards.

Large corporation with job security gives you carte blanche on your dev team and the games you create - they aren't blockbusters, but they are what you want to make. 2 mildly successful games later, you start work on another project, and years later still nothing to show.

Game creator wants out, or corporation wants results, and thus terminates you. I'm reading this backwards? Honest question, I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

Hyuga

Banned
Plus Microsoft will fund anything if it means Don Mattriick can make fun of sony on stage at E3.
The whole thing is a major fuck up on SCEJ's part. They should have stepped in when development was first going off the rails and tried to sort it out.
What the hell are you even talking about?

V_Ben

Banned
Yeah, I mean, probably?

Right, he would have totally stayed if they gave him more restrictions on his games, and a tighter budget. I think there was too much pressure from internal and external sources to finish the game, and so he's off once his contract is up to relax and enjoy himself. Creating the third game in a succession of well loved titles likely isn't relaxing.

KingK

If it was Ueda who opted to quit Sony, he must either be leaving the game industry entirely or stupid. I guess there's also the chance that he just wants to make small indie games or something.

But seriously, the dude got literally whatever he wanted at Sony, so I cannot imagine him leaving only to go work for another publisher.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
They'll be fine, Sony Japan could use a restructuring though they are creative they've lost their way and very few games come out of it. They should focus on rpgs and other "niche" games, that seems to be their forte

Horrible news, not surprised after all the 'rumours', but to me this is the worst news I have heard this generation. :(
I just hope he continues making console games, and not settle for mobile games. Best case scenario, he starts his own independent company and continues to create console games, though at a smaller scale and with a more frequent release schedule ala thatgamecompany.

THE:MILKMAN

This could allow for younger developers within SCEJ to prosper and get the chance to have their ideas made into games. A change at the top isn't always a bad thing, even if Ueda is a legend in the Japanese dev scene. Hopefully TLG doesn't suffer, but I will be cautiously optimistic on what SCEJ does in the next few years

I think sadly the way the likes of ND and SSM pump out quality AAA games in 2-3 years is the main reason this has happened IMO.

I think Sony just want their studios in Japan to get more efficient. Sony are struggling financially, and the cost/benefit of allowing an internal team to take 5+ years is not sustainable.

sleepykyo

I am sure if he wants to stay making big games after TLG then he will be getting plenty of options.

I don't Sony is really in Microsoft's line of sight anymore. Not for this generation. And even next generation seems to be more about keeping Nintendo in check than Sony.

I don't think that Sony wanted Ueda out, but I do think that they wanted TLG finished and he didn't like having pressure put on him. There's a good chance that the PS4 will be announced before TLG is released which is pretty damn amazing (and not in a good way).

I think it's a combination of both. Sony probably pressured Ueda to finally deliver something after 7 years and just a 3 minute trailer to show for it, Ueda couldn't but either didn't want to quit midway through the project or was bind by contract to finish the project.

Niks

I don't think that Sony wanted Ueda out, but I do think that they wanted TLG finished and he didn't like having pressure put on him. There's a good chance that the PS4 will be announced before TLG is released which is pretty damn amazing (and not in a good way).

How long has the game been in development?

Top Bottom