• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
We had already known that from several of the e3 gameplay vids.

The question is, can you use the backdash to cancel out of attacks like in the DS games? Or is like SoTN where the only utility the backdash has is to move faster?

He seemed to imply that you could cancel into and out of the backdash freely via ducking or attacking.

The question is, can you use the backdash to cancel out of attacks like in the DS games? Or is like SoTN where the only utility the backdash has is to move faster?

He seemed to imply that you could cancel into and out of the backdash freely via ducking or attacking.

I had not even read the posts here about canceling whatever. LOL I had not seen the backdash, though. He was backdashing all over the place. I was watching the Zelda stream at the same time, so I don't know if you can cancel with it.

It's not as fast as backdash canceling to speed up attacks from, say, Harmony of Despair, but when Romscout was playing the game on the stream with Iga, he was crouch canceling all his melee attacks to attack faster.

Both sword and kick attacks came out faster with crouch cancels.

It's not as fast as backdash canceling to speed up attacks from, say, Harmony of Despair, but when Romscout was playing the game on the stream with Iga, he was crouch canceling all his melee attacks to attack faster.

Both sword and kick attacks came out faster with crouch cancels.

Cool. As long as there's a way to cancel out of attacks and hop away to safety I'm good. I just don't want to go back to SoTN-gameplay where all the slower weapons are fundamentally useless due to their long recovery animations leaving you vulnerable.

Cool. As long as there's a way to cancel out of attacks and hop away to safety I'm good. I just don't want to go back to SoTN-gameplay where all the slower weapons are fundamentally useless due to their long recovery animations leaving you vulnerable.

Let's not forget about the Strider sword weapon which was crazy OP in SOTN because of it's fast animation and ability to move while spamming it.

Weapon balance is always going to be nonexistent in games like these, so I guess it's not something that we should get too worked up about.

I just wish I could play it myself but where's demo ;____;

I think I filled out the survey a long time ago about which version I wanted it and picked PS4 but now I want to get it on Steam. Anyone know if I can change which version I will get?

Yes, the survey hasn't been locked down yet and probably won't be for some time. Simply follow the same email link to the Fangamer survey, that'll let you change your answers. It's worth checking out if you backed at a tier that includes your name in the credits as well, as the allowed length of the name has been expanded since the survey was first released.

Venfayth

Let's not forget about the Strider sword weapon which was crazy OP in SOTN because of it's fast animation and ability to move while spamming it.

Weapon balance is always going to be nonexistent in games like these, so I guess it's not something that we should get too worked up about.

I just wish I could play it myself but where's demo ;____;

I'm totally fine with a weapon like the Crissaegrim existing, or the shield rod + alucard shield, as long as it's pretty decently hidden and not super easy to acquire. Breaking the game was super fun as long as it's a challenge to get that strong to start with.

Dremark

Banned
You can't decide what's concerning me and what isn't :p

Local coop was one of the very first stretch-goal features, and yet we have, to my knowledge, not heard anything about its details since. I'm obviously not expecting it to be done or even playable right now, but I'd very much hope that they have already planned for it in their development and systems/software design (because jury-rigging it later on would be either expensive and time consuming or half-baked). And if so, they could provide a morsel of information on how it will work.

True, but that's the one feature I really care about ;)

Yeah. It's up to you, but I don't think it's worth worrying about at this point. If you're really I interested I think they have a forum at fangamer so you could probably ask there or on the kickstarter itself and hopefully get a reply.

Dremark

Banned
I can't be the only one who hates that back dash can be used for faster travel. It looks so dumb. Even the guy in the youtube video is doing it.

It was a "feature" in SoTN so I think most people wanted it back. Personally I was never find of having to do it, but if it moves me faster I guess I'll do it.

Foffy

Banned
I can't be the only one who hates that back dash can be used for faster travel. It looks so dumb. Even the guy in the youtube video is doing it.

...Welcome to IGA's games? They all have this.

Just hope they have boots that make you move fast, too. Previous games he's worked on included those.

It was a "feature" in SoTN so I think most people wanted it back. Personally I was never find of having to do it, but if it moves me faster I guess I'll do it.

I'm not against having a backdash for the utility of battle but it's the equivalent rolling everywhere cause it's a microsecond faster. It's not enjoyable to watch and actively ruins the design of the character and level design.

Dremark

Banned
I'm not against having a backdash for the utility of battle but it's the equivalent rolling everywhere cause it's a microsecond faster. It's not enjoyable to watch and actively ruins the design of the character and level design.

I know, I'm of the same opinion. Iirc during one of the streams or another promotional thing of the Kickstarter IGA said he didn't like that because he was proud of how well the walking animation in SoTN turned out.

But again if I can move faster with it I guess I'll use it.

Shy

Join me in the 300 club! You know ya want to.
ODWOjxA.gif

My man.

I'm very pleased with how nice this already looks at this stage. The movement, combat, interface all seem to line up with what I'd expect for a game like this, which makes me think they'll be able to dedicate a lot of time to polishing content and building out extra features, rather than trying to work the core gameplay into shape. Very exciting.

They said on the Twitch stream that they were working on it, and were hoping to get it out sometime this week. The backer update said during or after E3 though, and E3 lasts the rest of the week.

Thanks for the update, couldn't watch the Twitch stream because of work, so that's good to know :)

Junahu

I'm not against having a backdash for the utility of battle but it's the equivalent of rolling everywhere cause it's a microsecond faster. It's not enjoyable to watch and actively ruins the design of the character and level design.
Backdashing has to be faster than running the equivilent distance, otherwise it has no dodging utility. The downside of backdashing for pure mobility is that you'll always have your back to the enemies in your way.

Maedhros

Man, I was hoping that with the change to 3D, the levels would feel more alive like in other 2.5D games like Donkey Kong Returns.

But in this video they feel so static. The amount of ropes in the background don't swing with the boat movements, or even the nets where the character stands are frozen. That is sad.
You know this is an alpha demo, right? Extremely early demo at that...

You can just play the demo and give them this feedback (I know that I'll give, because I, too, want these scenarios to be more alive). Even though the amount of scenario animations so far is already better than what I was expecting.

I want to see the ropes being animated. More particle effects, blood, water splashes, etc.

I've made my feelings on backdashing known before. It needs to be faster -temporarily- to be useful as a dodge, but nearly every IGA game post-SoTN introduces enough cooldown after its use that it can't be used to move faster than default movement. (Some games also introduced means to walk even faster than the backdash ever was, but that's a different point entirely.)

Man, I was hoping that with the change to 3D, the levels would feel more alive like in other 2.5D games like Donkey Kong Returns.

But in this video they feel so static. The amount of ropes in the background don't swing with the boat movements, or even the nets where the character stands are frozen. That is sad.

What you're describing sounds way too busy for what the background for this type of game should be doing.

Venfayth

Cancelling stuff is fun. It allows for creative gameplay. If that means that it's faster than walking, I'm personally ok with that.

Anyone at the conference get to play this yet?

I was there Day 1.

I already get 1 (I think I picked Wii U physical, PS4 digital).

Haha, I picked Wii U physical and PS4 digital as well. Might think about getting a physical backer Vita copy too!

Definitely gonna upgrade to the 300 mark too soon.

Shouta

You could always kindly donate that to a fellow fan ;)

Did you come up with the idea for your weapon, I believe it was?

You bought in for a custom weapon, right? Has it been decided what it'll be?

Also, are you responsible for our new thread title

I haven't decided yet. No guidelines have come up and probably won't until later into development so I'm just stewing on it. I'd definitely love something that could be either make for more interesting combat or something so you don't have to backdash your way through a speed run, lol.

RyDAis3.gif

��

ukC67mj.gif

I haven't decided yet. No guidelines have come up and probably won't until later into development so I'm just stewing on it. I'd definitely love something that could be either make for more interesting combat or something so you don't have to backdash your way through a speed run, lol.

Kung fu rollerskates

Top Bottom