• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing announced! (Ryo revealed! Yay three Shenmue fans!)

Ludi said:
no, its because ps3 owners dont get extra characters from the start!
muhahahaha

j/k, i think banjo is a fitting enhancement

Eh, I'll be buying the PC version. You can have your googly eyed monstrosity, I'll take the 60fps gameplay, thankyou.

Ben2749 said:
"Sega nullifies anything non-Sega"? I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're being ironic (especially given your argument that Banjo shouldn't be present because "is a N64 spawned character which has zero relevance to the Saturn and basically did not even compete with anything Saturn".

If so, good one. Very witty.

You're logic as to why the inclusion of Banjo is OK, places Banjo and Sonic on a level playing feel as to the worth of the character, think about that for one second. You're inferring Banjo and Sonic are equals, really now.

wRATH2x

Banned
Ben2749 said:
Don't take the above too personally; it wasn't directed at you or anybody here in particular, but rather the whole "Sonic shouldn't be in a car" mentality that some people refuse to drop. You clearly don't like it, but you just now said "Oh well" and will be getting it anyway. I'm talking more about the kind of people who rufuse to let it go, and are boycotting the game for that reason alone.
I didn't personally, this is gaf and I like Nexus Zero. You come to expect these replies.

And yeah your right, my opinion is more of questioning than being outright flabbergasted.

OMG Aero

brain_stew said:
You're logic as to why the inclusion of Banjo is OK, places Banjo and Sonic on a level playing feel as to the worth of the character, think about that for one second. You're inferring Banjo and Sonic are equals, really now.
Banjo's recent games have been far better than Sonic's recent games. The only thing Sonic has over Banjo as a character for me is that he has been around longer.

Wrath2X said:
I didn't personally, this is gaf and I like Nexus Zero.

Well now I feel like I've kicked a puppy. I don't actually think you're retarded, but like Ben said, slightly more politely, the outrage over this is mental! Agh sorry not 'mental' I meant crazy! Aggh

wRATH2x

Banned
Nexus Zero said:
Well now I feel like I've kicked a puppy. I don't actually think you're retarded, but like Ben said, slightly more politely, the outrage over this is mental! Agh sorry not 'mental' I meant crazy! Aggh
Its coo I still love you!

brain_stew said:
Eh, I'll be buying the PC version. You can have your googly eyed monstrosity, I'll take the 60fps gameplay, thankyou.

Yikes, so you really do just have horrible double standards. Just because you don't like Banjo doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people who don't love him. And if you're talking about their influence and recognizability, remember that this game has other characters besides Sonic, most of whom are relatively low-key compared to the Brawl roster. How many people are familiar with the zombie characters from House of the Dead? Hell, just how many people are going to be familiar with Ryo, Ulala, and BD? Sonic's appearance in Brawl was fine because he was just as iconic as most of the cast. Similarly, Banjo is just as iconic as most of the cast here.

Oh, and as mentioned above, Banjo's recent track record has been a lot better than Sonic's. He may have only had one new game in the last ten years, and while it wasn't to everybody's taste, it was still a brilliantly designed game with plenty of innovation. Also, a lot of people have replayed through the brilliant first two Banjo games (or even played them for the first time) on XBLA recently. Compare that to the countless crappy Sonic games we've seen over the past few years, and looking down on Banjo as being not good enough to co-star with Sonic starts to seem absurd. The only reason people (myself included) still hold Sonic in high regard is because of the older games.

S0L said earlier in this thread not to hold out hope for Segata Sanshiro.

Besides, don't we now know the full roster? Hopefully not, but I was under the impression the last few characters had been leaked a few days ago.

Damon Bennet said:
This is really one of my most wanted games

At the moment, it's certainly mine. And that's saying a lot, considering there are a lot of games I'm currently looking forward to in the next few months. But I'm an absolute sucker for franchise crossover games, and this is pretty similar to Brawl in regards to speculation, fanservice, and anticipation. I'm particularly looking forward to knowing what the final soundtrack will be, as the one for Sega Superstar Tennis was awesome, and based on what we've heard so far, the tracks will be a bit more diverse this time round (isn't "Can You Feel the Sunshine?" from Sonic R confirmed to be in it?).

Here's a recap of the final roster (because it seems like nobody has posted it yet):

From Sonic the Hedgehog:

* Sonic the Hedgehog
* Miles "Tails" Prower
* Knuckles the Echidna
* Doctor Eggman
* Amy Rose
* Shadow the Hedgehog
* Big the Cat

From other Sega properties:

* AiAi from Super Monkey Ball
* Amigo from Samba de Amigo
* Ryo Hazuki from Shenmue
* Beat from Jet Set Radio
* Alex Kidd from the Alex Kidd series
* Billy Hatcher from Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
* Zobio and Zobiko, the zombie couple from The House of the Dead EX
* Ulala from Space Channel 5
* B.D. Joe from Crazy Taxi
* Jacky Bryant with Akira Yuki from the Virtua Fighter series
* Bonanza Bros.
* ChuChu Rocket
* Opa-Opa from Fantasy Zone

Console-exclusives:

* Banjo-Kazooie (Xbox 360)
* Miis (Wii)

A solid roster. There are plenty of other characters I'd still happily welcome, sure, but they'd be bonuses. Newcomers Ryo, Billy Hatcher, Chu Chu Rocket, and Banjo & Kazooie are more than enough to keep me happy.

Presuming that we do get DLC characters though, my top picks would be:

Alberto (I'm assuming that Sega can't use Ferraris in this, but surely they can think of a way to make it work; they used Ferrari lookalikes in early OutRun games)
Vyse, from Skies of Arcadia
Gilius (I don't care for the Golden Axe games, but I liked him in SST)
Toejam & Earl
Axel, from Streets of Rage

I really hope we see tracks from some franchises that don't have any character representation, like in Sega Superstars Tennis. If only because I'll pitch a fit if there isn't an OutRun track. >:-( And I swear to God, Magical Sound Shower, Passing Breeze, and Splash Wave had better all be present.

GrayFoxPL

Just out of curiosity, what did you think about Sonic and Snake's inclusion in Brawl?

I had no interest in it, but Star Wars in Soul Calibur or Master Chieffette in Doa made me twitch.

I don't know how I could prove that I have nothing against bonus content for 360, but look at it this way:

What if this wasn't a game but an art book. "Sega All Stars Artbook" - honestly, how many of you would want it if it had "+ Banjo bonus!" slapped on the cover? How many of you purrists, and I know we have some crazy anal purists here, wouldn't go batshit and throw "FFFFFFF" all the way?

If the exclusive was something like Nights then fuck yeah. Smart move. For me Banjo can't be anything more then result of a phone from some marketing "genius" at Ms. But that's just me.

Ben2749 said:
A solid roster. There are plenty of other characters I'd still happily welcome, sure, but they'd be bonuses. Newcomers Ryo, Billy Hatcher, Chu Chu Rocket, and Banjo & Kazooie are more than enough to keep me happy.

Presuming that we do get DLC characters though, my top picks would be:

Alberto (I'm assuming that Sega can't use Ferraris in this, but surely they can think of a way to make it work; they used Ferrari lookalikes in early OutRun games)
Vyse, from Skies of Arcadia
Gilius (I don't care for the Golden Axe games, but I liked him in SST)
Toejam & Earl
Axel, from Streets of Rage

I really hope we see tracks from some franchises that don't have any character representation, like in Sega Superstars Tennis. If only because I'll pitch a fit if there isn't an OutRun track. >:-( And I swear to God, Magical Sound Shower, Passing Breeze, and Splash Wave had better all be present.

Maybe can we expect a Sega Saturn DLC Pack ?

With Nights, Segata Sanshiro, a Dragon, ...

I'm sure that a lot of people who wrote in this thread would buy it.

Legendary

Neo Member
That would be nice, indeed, but some extra tracks wouldn't be bad either. Also, it's looks like the release date is final in Europe (26 February).

Vgamer

NinMicroSega said:
Here's a recap of the final roster (because it seems like nobody has posted it yet):

Really nice roster. I am looking forward to this game despite just getting Mario Kart Wii for Christmas!

Legendary said:
That would be nice, indeed, but some extra tracks wouldn't be bad either. Also, it's looks like the release date is final in Europe (26 February).

Fuck, I thought I head somewhere it was the 10th. Oh well. There's plenty of other games coming out in February to tide me over. It's just that this is my most anticipated.

I forgot to include Segata Sanshiro in my above list of wanted DLC characters. If Sumo Digital could manage to get the rights to use him, I'd happily take him over all of the characters above put together.

Gagaman said:
Maybe Jacky and Sarah couldn't get along what with Sarah brainwashed to kill Jacky and everything..
Wait VF has a plot?

I thought the "story" in VF was you play the role of an arcade denizen in Japan and travel around and beat everyone in a video game. The characters are just plotless vehicles you just choose to play with.

I had no idea. :( I kinda liked what I was believing before. More fighting games need to ease off the seriousness of their storylines.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Jacky kinda makes sense, since his profession is supposed to be an Indy car racer.

Then again, nobody plays Virtua Fighter for the story.

TEJ

Blueblur1 said:
Apparently, no one acknowledges PSO anymore. Fail.

Characters from the original Phantasy Star series deserve to be in well before PSO.

Man, i'd love to see Alys Brangwin make it in.

Honestly, for all the bitching I find it hard to be disapointed with a lineup that includes Opa, Opa, the Bonanza Bros. and B.D. Joe, I mean those first two picks are completely irrelevant these days but Sumo still threw them in to give us old SEGA fans a kick.

I just read the article for myself that leaked the most recent bunch of characters, but how do we actually know there aren't more? People are talking as if that's the final roster, but where did that assumption come from?

Also, do we know if all of these known characters are available right off the bat, or are some unlockables?

Rlan

Ben2749 said:
I just read the article for myself that leaked the most recent bunch of characters, but how do we actually know there aren't more? People are talking as if that's the final roster, but where did that assumption come from?

Also, do we know if all of these known characters are available right off the bat, or are some unlockables?

Official PR has stated "All your favorite racers: Choose from 20 different characters from the Sonic & SEGA universe including Sonic, Tails, AiAi, and Amigo". 20 being all those characters bar the platform specific ones.

An even better question would be: Why is Shadow in this game (or Sega Superstars Tennis) at all? Seriously, nobody whose opinion matters likes him, as he's the embodiment of what is wrong with recent Sonic games. I'd rather see a member of Chaotix or E-102 (if E-102 were a character, it would also mean that the entire cast of Sonic Adventure would be playable).

Diablohead said:
Spoofing his own shitty game where he drove his bike and other vehicles while using guns.

I know that. I only posted that as a response to the idiots who ask that same damn question over and over. They don't realize how stupid that question is.

EDIT: And yes, Shadow wasted a very valuable spot that could have been used for another character. Too bad Sumo said they had to appeal to the new crowd more than the old, but we still got some good ones. So no complaining, please.

NinMicroSega said:
I know that. I only posted that as a response to the idiots who ask that same damn question over and over. They don't realize how stupid that question is.
:lol ah sorry I just saw your post and gave an answer without reading back any.

S0L said:

Looks like the German ads made the mistake of including 3 battle areas to the total track roster... but we now know there will be a battle mode!

Rlan

Ben2749 said:
An even better question would be: Why is Shadow in this game (or Sega Superstars Tennis) at all? Seriously, nobody whose opinion matters likes him, as he's the embodiment of what is wrong with recent Sonic games. I'd rather see a member of Chaotix or E-102 (if E-102 were a character, it would also mean that the entire cast of Sonic Adventure would be playable).

Yes, how dare they try to sell copies of their game.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Ben2749 said:

Please tell me whose opinion matters, because I would sure like to be enlightened.

You'd think I had slandered your mothers the way some of you are reacting. Of course I don't sincerely believe that every single person who likes Shadow is irrelevant and uninformed, and of course he has an audience here; I was just voicing my own hate for the character. If there are any genuine Shadow fans here, then I apologize if I offended you, but I wasn't aware the Political Correctness Police were on patrol. Relax.

NinMicroSega said:
Apparently, the ones whose opinions actually mattered got owned by SEGA Europe's AAUK.

I do think that's unbelievably cheeky though. When games like Shadow the Hedgehog (a blatant attempt at appealing to the "extreme gangster" crowd) and Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 (a horrible and broken unfinished mess) exist, Sonic Team cannot argue that they haven't changed the way they do things, or their target audience. The problem most people have with Sonic games isn't that the presentation is "kiddy"; it's that Sonic Team exploits the fact that their fanbase largely consists of kids in order to release less than stellar games. After all, why spend time and money making AAA games, when you can instead release a lesser game more often, that will each make roughly the same amount?

Rlan

alexkidd.jpg

Man, he looks so much better than he did in Superstar Tennis

sega-superstars-tennis-20080228024348435-000.jpg

AHH GET IT AWAY :lol

Edit: He does still look kind of weird though. His clothes now look like he's wearing a yellow jumpsuit with the red Velcro'd onto his body. Looking back at old games and artwork he always had blue shoes until Enchanted Castle as well.

I never saw why people complained about Alex Kidd's appearance in SST, but comparing both of them directly, I have to agree that the S&SASR model looks a lot better.

Top Bottom