• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Koji Igarashi's Castlevania successor be revealed this Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Castlevania has been building on folklore, classical literature/film and pop culture ever since the first game. Heck the first game was supposed to be a riff on horror movies, which is why you have the little film roll holes in the cutscenes.

Furthermore, a lot of the characters' names are based on real people or literature and film. They only won't be able to directly use characters created for and used by Konami's games (e.g. "Sypha Belnades" or "Shanoa"), or the name "Belmont". They still could do Alucard though, and even give him a silver-haired black/gold-armored design.

There's nothing Konami could do to stop a horror-themed platformer.

Foffy

Banned
The one thing I'm scared of is that if it does turn out to be a Castlevania/IGAvania in everything but name (say, about as much as Mighty No.9 is a Mega Man game), that Konami would be scummy enough to try and take it down.

We've literally had two Fire Emblem clones made by the original creator of Fire Emblem. If that can pass, so can this.

You mean horror-themed action side scroller. The platforming in Castlevania is minimal, especially in the Igavanias. They are hardly paltformers.

Let's not turn this into a genre nitpicker discussion, especially since we don't even know how exactly this game is going to be like.

Shy

Iga on monday:

scrooge_mcduck_187095685.jpg
Me on Monday.
yLy52Q4.jpg

Ainaurdur

Not sure if anyone else pasted this new one yet or not, but I love it:

"What good is choosing a weapon when I choose the hand that holds it?"

@MUWANdo

Banned
We've literally had two Fire Emblem clones made by the original creator of Fire Emblem. If that can pass, so can this.

Nintendo sued Kaga to within an inch of his life, though, and his game only "passed" in the sense that they merely forced him to substantially change it and pay Nintendo a six-figure fee rather than cancel it altogether and pay a seven-figure fee.

Foffy

Banned
Nintendo sued Kaga to within an inch of his life, though, and his game only "passed" in the sense that they merely forced him to substantially change it and pay Nintendo a six-figure fee rather than cancel it altogether and pay a seven-figure fee.

O-oh. Well, lets hope Konami doesn't have a hateful grudge against former employees.

Then again, they surely would have done something with the teaser page, no?

What game was this? This is is so interesting.

@MUWANdo

Banned
What game was this? This is is so interesting.

Tear Ring Saga for PSX, developed by former IntSys man Shouzou Kaga and published by Enterbrain. The game was originally titled "Emblem Saga" and a lot of the characters, names, etc were near-identical to FE characters/trademarks, and when Kaga did interviews for the game he basically said "this game takes place in the same universe as FE and the characters, locations, etc are all the same, even if the names are different."

O-oh. Well, lets hope Konami doesn't have a hateful grudge against former employees.

Well, we've seen what they do to employees still technically contracted by them (Kojima). After that nonsense, Konami strikes me as just the type of petty company to actually take some sort of action.

Hopefully not, though.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I haven't been keeping up, what are the rumors and what's been pointing toward them?

Just a 4ch post from before the teaser:

"It's real. Game is going to be called Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Kickstarter goes live May 11th. Main character is NotShanoa named Miriam. She has rune tattoos on her body. NotAlucard will be named Gebel.

Screen cap this."

Foffy

Banned
I haven't been keeping up, what are the rumors and what's been pointing toward them?

Someone on /v/ claimed to have the name of the game and its two protagonists named. It's a big fat rumor, but the person tried coming off as the user PORTRAITofRUIN, and if any Castlevania fan remembers that person, she leaked a lot of stuff.

I still take it with a huge grain of salt. There's no way to back it up like the IGAVANIA = Quarterwomann connection.

Which?

Is that Frenchy one from Level 5 one of them?

Tear Ring Saga and Berwick Saga.

Kirie

In addition to what @MUWANdo said there was also: "I'd post a pic but I'd get fired so fast. She has blue roses on her legs, shoulder length black hair and a stained glass sword."

But like Foffy says, best to take it with a very large grain of salt at the moment :)

Ainaurdur

It flashed up so quickly on the site and then disappeared before I could even highlight the text to try to copy, but he said something roughly about "the 11th, I suppose you can watch."

Also just now:

"We are meeting in the New World. An army of Igavania players and developers."

Edit, caught the quote I mentioned above:
"Monday morning, 11. I suppose you can watch."

Yeah, Castlevania has been building on folklore, classical literature/film and pop culture ever since the first game. Heck the first game was supposed to be a riff on horror movies, which is why you have the little film roll holes in the cutscenes.

Furthermore, a lot of the characters' names are based on real people or literature and film. They only won't be able to directly use characters created for and used by Konami's games (e.g. "Sypha Belnades" or "Shanoa"), or the name "Belmont". They still could do Alucard though, and even give him a silver-haired black/gold-armored design.

There's nothing Konami could do to stop a horror-themed platformer.

Quite frankly I don't want a bootleg Alucard in this new IP, because I'll always compare him or her to Adrian Tepes (CV Alucard) and he's one of my favorite game characters.

Just make someone who is like him in ways, and give him/her a good design and I'm happy.

Someone on /v/ claimed to have the name of the game and its two protagonists named. It's a big fat rumor, but the person tried coming off as the user PORTRAITofRUIN, and if any Castlevania fan remembers that person, she leaked a lot of stuff.

I still take it with a huge grain of salt. There's no way to back it up like the IGAVANIA = Quarterwomann connection.

Tear Ring Saga and Berwick Saga.

There's no way that the guys who made Jeanne d'Arc didn't go "Let's make a Fire Emblem clone".

"I admit I am impressed by your skill. Careful you don’t back-dash right into my trap."

"Be greedy with the moonlight now. It could be some time before you drink of it again."

Kirie

It flashed up so quickly on the site and then disappeared before I could even highlight the text to try to copy, but he said something roughly about "the 11th, I suppose you can watch."

Also just now:

"We are meeting in the New World. An army of Igavania players and developers."

Edit, caught the quote I mentioned above:
"Monday morning, 11. I suppose you can watch."

I just got these as well! Though that first one disappeared super quickly for me, so I'm glad you guys were able to copy it down.

Monday morning guys and gals :D it's happening!

I'm loving this so much! Did any of y'all play Harmony of Dissonance? It was pretty much 100% loot hunting/co-op but I spent hundreds of hours playing that game and hunting for loot. It helped ease the pain a little of not having a Igavania for so long.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm loving this so much! Did any of y'all play Harmony of Dissonance? It was pretty much 100% loot hunting/co-op but I spent hundreds of hours playing that game and hunting for loot. It helped ease the pain a little of not having a Igavania for so long.

You mean Harmoney of Despair, right?

Can't wait to backdash through the whole game.

So this. I love games with alternative movement options that, while unconventional, are faster than normal pace. It's really only old games that do this, since it can easily be seen as bad game design, but I run backwards through the entirety of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Playing SotN for the first time invoked very little forward movement at all.

It'd be a little mean to hype up this game with the Castlevania aesthetic and flat out drop the term "Igavania" and it not be Castlevania, but I'm excited nonetheless.

Game Guru

Didn't one of these result in a hefty lawsuit.

One which Nintendo lost as far as copyright infringement was concerned. Yes, there was a hefty lawsuit and a fine, but Tear Ring Saga was declared to not have been copyright infringement. It actually set legal precedent for spiritual successors of video games. As for the fine...

Tear Ring Saga for PSX, developed by former IntSys man Shouzou Kaga and published by Enterbrain. The game was originally titled "Emblem Saga" and a lot of the characters, names, etc were near-identical to FE characters/trademarks, and when Kaga did interviews for the game he basically said "this game takes place in the same universe as FE and the characters, locations, etc are all the same, even if the names are different."

It was because this sort of crap as well as having the Fire Emblem artist do the artwork for the game making the common consumer confused that it might be an actual Fire Emblem game. So long as IGA doesn't call it Castle Dracula or Transylvania and say it takes place in that particular universe, he should be fine.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hinting at a stream with no footage of the game nonetheless :lol. They'll leave it with the future!

Oh man that intro. That music. Order of Ecclesia was pretty much a perfect game.

Hah, yeah. The main theme is amaaaazing. Who composed that main theme though? I know for the other two DS entries the guest composer made the main theme songs

Huh, Iga's suddenly decided to be much more overt, lol. If this is literally referencing a stream (which the "meeting" and "I suppose you can watch" kinda makes it sound like), I wonder what it'll contain. Maybe they'll show some concept footage or music or the like?

Whatever it is, exciting stuff.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I swear to god if IGA doesn't crack a whip in the Kickstarter video..!

Just got:

There have been talks of blood, and diseases..vampirism? Main character is bitten and has to kill the vamp to cure herself and on the way you gain cool vampire powers and cool alchemy stuff for weapons and magic glyphs?

It makes sense, you're a vampire hunter, how can you protect your friends from vampires if you have the vampire curse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom