• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 5 Demo up on US Marketplace.

Ploid 3.0

I'm downloading this now. I haven't played RE4, or Gears whatever. I have played Deadspace and loved it. I loved RE2, but hated Code Veronica and it was the last straw for RE for me. I never loked tank controls, but back in psx days I took what I could get. I'm going in with stupidly low expectations. I'm surprised I'm even downloading it. Doubt I'm buying so don't add to the imaginary sales chart yet.

Wow... I mean I'm not one to say these controls are THE BEST EVER. Yet I honestly think some people in here are fucking CRAZY!... CRAZYYYYYYY!

Teknoman

Everyone complaining about the sunny setting does realize that its getting darker as you progress right? Compare lighting in Public Assembly to Shanty Town...which I assume is pretty soon afterwards.

The inside of the buildings are pretty dark too...

Teknoman said:
Everyone complaining about the sunny setting does realize that its getting darker as you progress right? Compare lighting in Public Assembly to Shanty Town...which I assume is pretty soon afterwards.

The inside of the buildings are pretty dark too...

I think your preaching to the wrong choir in here. It seems these guys are dead set on putting -1 Sales ever other post. :(

For those who care:

GAMEPRO Germany review

+ great character models, fantastic special effects
+ Varied areas
+ Interesting story
+ Outstanding AI
+ Gigantic boss battles
+ 18 hours of gameplay (story mode)
+ lots of bonus material
+ High replay value

- Framerate hickups (PS3)
- No puzzle solving

93%

Fortinbras said:
For those who care:

GAMEPRO Germany review

+ Varied areas
+ Interesting story
+ Outstanding AI
+ Gigantic boss battles
+ lots of bonus material
+ High replay value

- No puzzle solving

93%

Ahhh shit. No puzzle solving. -1 sales "unfortunatly" :lol

Sectus

Fortinbras said:
+ lots of bonus material
+ High replay value
That sounds re-assuring. If I remember correctly, my first playthrough of RE4 was around 16 hours.

Fortinbras said:
- No puzzle solving
That's a bit disappointing. Although I suppose it would have broken the flow of coop gameplay anyway.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Fortinbras said:
For those who care:

GAMEPRO Germany review

+ Varied areas
+ Interesting story
+ Outstanding AI
+ Gigantic boss battles
+ lots of bonus material
+ High replay value

- No puzzle solving

93%

FUCK YES!!!!!!

Sectus said:
That sounds re-assuring. If I remember correctly, my first playthrough of RE4 was around 16 hours.

That's a bit disappointing. Although I suppose it would have broken the flow of coop gameplay anyway.

Unless you had to hold off a legion of monsters while your partner had to figure out a puzzle.

Baby Milo

Kolgar said:
I'm one of those people, and I think it's because the RE5 demo puts you into such chaotic circumstances in both sample levels. Enemies are thrown at you and after playing such next-gen games as Dead Space and Gears of War, that old relic of RE4 control style just feels really dated here.

I also don't like the real-time crap, where the game no longer pauses to let you combine herbs or peruse your inventory. That pause is one of the things that made the horrible control scheme acceptable in RE4, and it's absent here.

My gripes further include the atmosphere (goodbye, "Resident Evil," hellooo generic African Action game) and the emphasis on co-op play. No, I don't really want to share ammo and health and cover Sheva's ass all the while. It's one departure from RE4 that hasn't grown on me.

And I totally agree with the comments above about the weapons lacking punch. How unsatisfying to pop away at all your attackers with that pea-shooter pistol. Once again, Capcom shouldn't have just lifted this part of the game straight from RE4, but endowed it with some next-gen punch.

After all this time to build a next-gen game, RE4 sure feels like a last-gen game with spiffier graphics.

this is exactly how I feel

FrankT

Fortinbras said:
For those who care:

GAMEPRO Germany review

+ Varied areas
+ Interesting story
+ Outstanding AI
+ Gigantic boss battles
+ lots of bonus material
+ High replay value

- No puzzle solving

93%

Sounds good save the framerate issues in the review copy as the demo here for the PS3. 18 hours is just great. Add on top of that co-op and there will be plenty of playtime out of this for sure.

Majmun

I think puzzle solving in co op would be pretty awesome. Such a shame. The first RE game without puzzles? MEH.

----1sale

will buy it anyway since it seems to be quite a long game, and good too + it's resident evil *sigh

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Is there some way at all to enable some sort of crosshair instead of using the laser sight?

I had to skip RE4 because of my poor sight issues and this doesn't look like it includes any sort of option. Can't see the laser at all :[

Erebus

Fortinbras said:
For those who care:

GAMEPRO Germany review

+ Varied areas
+ Interesting story
+ Outstanding AI
+ Gigantic boss battles
+ lots of bonus material
+ High replay value

- No puzzle solving

93%

Does it say anything about the running-and-shooting configuration? :p

I don't have the magazine. I read about the review in another German discussion forum.

This is all I've got:

* 4 control settings
* Precise aiming
* Context-sensitive action buttons

I'll try to get more info soon.

Morts

Are they not going to show Chris being decapitated when you get caught by the chainsaw guy? What the hell?

And does anyone else's left thumb hurt after playing the PS3 version?

Gino

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I think your preaching to the wrong choir in here. It seems these guys are dead set on putting -1 Sales ever other post. :(
I suppose saying -1 sales is kind of stupid but I thought Gaf was here for discussing games. Obviously a lot of people are not liking the demo and have valid opinions.

Wowbagger

Control type A is just broken. I look around with L when not aiming and have to look around with R when aiming?!? How the hell does that make sense? Why couldn't everything be on L for people used to the (awesome) RE4 GC controls? I realize there is control type B for RE4 vets, and it works nice enough, but I kinda liked using the shoulder buttons for attacks. They should've offered fully customizable controls.

Gino

Morts said:
Are they not going to show Chris being decapitated when you get caught by the chainsaw guy? What the hell?

I'm sure that's just for the demo. The demo for RE 4 didn't show it either.

Morts said:

Are you running with that button or using X?

I liked the demo, co-op was fun. SP felt a bit like a chore at the chainsaw part but overall it was ok. Controls work but could be much better, real-time inventory wasn't very good IMO. Team AI is passable and enemy AI was SLOW to attack, you can run circles around them. They do navigate the environments decently though.

Overall they have changed the RE4 style game more that I thought, I expected RE4.5 but really its moving away from the RE4 style altogether.

I will definitely buy it but I don't feel like I am getting a sequel to RE4 really.

Sectus

Wowbagger said:
Control type A is just broken... I move and look around with L, not using R at all, but the second I want to aim, I have to switch to R and then L does nothing. WTF... I look around with L when I'm not aiming and have to look around with R when aiming?!? How the hell does that make sense? Why couldn't everything be on L for people used to the (awesome) RE4 GC controls? I realize there is control type B for RE4 vets, and it works nice enough, but I kinda liked using the shoulder buttons for attacks. They should've offered fully customizable controls.
Sure you're not playing with Type B controls? With Type A, the left stick is used for movement and aiming.

Erebus

Fortinbras said:
I don't have the magazine. I read about the review in another German discussion forum.

This is all I've got:

* 4 control settings
* Precise aiming

Cool keep us posted.

Zenith

Banned
Fortinbras said:

This is all I've got:

* 4 control settings
* Precise aiming

link?

Gino said:
I suppose saying -1 sales is kind of stupid but I thought Gaf was here for discussing games. Obviously a lot of people are not liking the demo and have valid opinions.

True but theres alot more then just opinions going on in this thread. I'm talking about some of the extreme remarks and comments and "I'm right, your wrong" mentality.

Zenith

Banned
Not quite how I envisioned this battle.

bigbadboss1.jpg

bigbadboss2.jpg

bigbadboss3.jpg

bigbadboss4.jpg

http://www.residentevil.com/5/kijuju/imgs/gallery/3d/RE5_3Dsh3_HairyBarry.mov

Dead

well not really...yet
Just downloaded the demo. Controls totally ruined it. It feels like it takes all of Chris' weight just to move the aiming, even at fastest speed. Not to mention how hard it is to run + move the camera at the same time.

Also hate how the enemies are copy and pastes of RE4s. I thought this was going to feature traditional Zombies again like in Degeneration (unless they show up later) :(

Played the demo a few times, first I need to ask a question. Anyone have weird invite issues on the PSN. Any time I send out an invite to a friend my screen stays dark as if it never came out of the PSN menu. And if a friend invites me, when I accept the invite my game just stays in the loading up game screen.

Anyway I did play the demo about 10 times. My first reaction is that something is off about this game. And no it has nothing to do with the controls, RE4 scheme works just fine (expect that some idiot decided to make shoot square and run X, WHAT THE FUCK!!!!). The other schemes are completely useless, I tried them, what a mess, control A works great.

The partner AI actually turned out just fine. Sheeva has never died on me, she has helped me out many times, she basically sticks with me so she does what I do. Its like an extention of me, I am very happy with the way she is handled. Wonder how it will be in boss fights but here its great.

My thing with the demo is that something feels off when you shoot someone, its as if the bullets don't feel they are hitting. A shotgun blast to the head wont blow it up anymore. Just regular bullets don't seem to have the same oomph as RE4. Also the demo is a bit chaotic, it seems like the enemies just come from anywhere, like endless spawn points.

In RE4 the enemy placement was very specific. Compare the first village with this area and the RE5 area seems sloopy in comparison. The design is not as refined as the village area, the village had better beats to the action, it felt like it progressed well, here its just carnage. The village itself was designed beautifully with many places to hide or use to get between you and the enemies, here its more like a square arena with all sorts of stuff that explode.

My favorite part of the demo was Shanty Town, that at least progressed well, loved the partner split with one covering and the other in the building. Chainsaw guy takes a hell of a lot more hits but he is slow with that attack, really slow.

Real time inventory switching took a while to get used to. At first I just grabbed as much as I can and didn't have time to look at what was in my inventory. Now I can manage to get to a spot in the area where I can quickly adjust my inventory, its simple but it works.

I noticed that the camera was a bit different, I feel like Chris maybe takes up more of the screen, I think that adds to that weird feeling of something being off. I like the different melee attacks, I even saw some special ones like I did a neckbreak with Chris.

I have played co-op with some friends and yeah its a blast. Its a really fun game to play with another player, that will probably be the shining grace for many people.

So yeah I am having a lot of fun with it. Did the demo impress me anywhere near as much as RE4 did way back, of course not. I dont feel like this game will be better than RE4but I am much more at peace with the co-op aspect to the game, its not going to be a pain in single player.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
MiamiWesker said:
Played the demo a few times, first I need to ask a question. Anyone have weird invite issues on the PSN. Any time I send out an invite to a friend my screen stays dark as if it never came out of the PSN menu. And if a friend invites me, when I accept the invite my game just stays in the loading up game screen.

Anyway I did play the demo about 10 times. My first reaction is that something is off about this game. And no it has nothing to do with the controls, RE4 scheme works just fine (expect that some idiot decided to make shoot square and run X, WHAT THE FUCK!!!!). The other schemes are completely useless, I tried them, what a mess, control A works great.

The partner AI actually turned out just fine. Sheeva has never died on me, she has helped me out many times, she basically sticks with me so she does what I do. Its like an extention of me, I am very happy with the way she is handled. Wonder how it will be in boss fights but here its great.

My thing with the demo is that something feels off when you shoot someone, its as if the bullets don't feel they are hitting. A shotgun blast to the head wont blow it up anymore. Just regular bullets don't seem to have the same oomph as RE4. Also the demo is a bit chaotic, it seems like the enemies just come from anywhere, like endless spawn points.

In RE4 the enemy placement was very specific. Compare the first village with this area and the RE5 area seems sloopy in comparison. The design is not as refined as the village area, the village had better beats to the action, it felt like it progressed well, here its just carnage. The village itself was designed beautifully with many places to hide or use to get between you and the enemies, here its more like a square arena with all sorts of stuff that explode.

My favorite part of the demo was Shanty Town, that at least progressed well, loved the partner split with one covering and the other in the building. Chainsaw guy takes a hell of a lot more hits but he is slow with that attack, really slow.

Real time inventory switching took a while to get used to. At first I just grabbed as much as I can and didn't have time to look at what was in my inventory. Now I can manage to get to a spot in the area where I can quickly adjust my inventory, its simple but it works.

I noticed that the camera was a bit different, I feel like Chris maybe takes up more of the screen, I think that adds to that weird feeling of something being off. I like the different melee attacks, I even saw some special ones like I did a neckbreak with Chris.

I have played co-op with some friends and yeah its a blast. Its a really fun game to play with another player, that will probably be the shining grace for many people.

So yeah I am having a lot of fun with it. Did the demo impress me anywhere near as much as RE4 did way back, of course not. I dont feel like this game will be better than RE4but I am much more at peace with the co-op aspect to the game, its not going to be a pain in single player.

I have this same issue...

Wowbagger

Sectus said:
Sure you're not playing with Type B controls? With Type A, the left stick is used for movement and aiming.

Maybe I'm mixing up A and B. Anyway, I'm quickly getting used to square/x. I miss the huge A button on the GC controller, though. Someone should make a custom DS3 with square and cross shaped and placed just like on a GC controller. :)

Teknoman

No puzzles? I...wow. Im still getting the game because its still fun, and puzzles arent really a deal breaker (Silent Hill Homecoming doesnt have much in the way of puzzles either) but still.

Did RE4 have any real puzzles? Or just strategic key/medal/whatever finding? I forget.

Erebus

MiamiWesker said:

I think this applies only to the first level of the demo. Basically you have to survive until the helicopter shows up.

But I do find most of your points valid. It's not a perfect game and many will get disappointed mostly because of the huge hype that surrounds the title in the last few years. However, if someone is willing to overlook some of its quirks he'll undoubtefully have a great time playing through RE5 (especially in co-op).

Kagari said:
I have this same issue...

Really, ok so I am not alone. Are you redownloading your demo?

I had the JPN demo first and downloaded the US one while playing the JPN one, had all sorts of weird freeze ups, did that happen to you as well?

I just want to figure out what is up.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
MiamiWesker said:
Really, ok so I am not alone. Are you redownloading your demo?

I had the JPN demo first and downloaded the US one while playing the JPN one, had all sorts of weird freeze ups, did that happen to you as well?

I just want to figure out what is up.

I had the issue with the JP one... downloading the US one to see if the issue remains.

GAMEPRO Germany review

+ Varied areas
+ Interesting story
+ Outstanding AI
+ Gigantic boss battles
+ lots of bonus material
+ High replay value

- No puzzle solving

93%

As a huge RE fan I recognize that the plots have generally been terrible, but I've always had a great interest in what happens with the characters/story in general. To find that some random reviewer finds a story which has Chris/Wesker/Sherry to be interesting probably means it'll tickle all of the right spots for me as a big time RE fan. Also the 18 hours of gameplay for the story mode sounds fantastic. It should be a nice meaty co-op experience and even if it isn't it should be a few hours longer than some of my co-op experiences this gen which is fine.

Teknoman

Apparently from the PS3 topic, I see that I wasnt the only one who realized RE4 had next to no puzzles as well.

So looks like RE5 will be RE4 on steroids for the most part. Hell Silent Hill Homecoming really had no puzzles...and thats saying something for an SH game.

[Nintex]

I think this game will surprise us just like RE4 did, I'm wondering what the other locales are. I don't want to know about them before the release though... :(

Sectus

Teknoman said:
No puzzles? I...wow. Im still getting the game because its still fun, and puzzles arent really a deal breaker (Silent Hill Homecoming doesnt have much in the way of puzzles either) but still.

Did RE4 have any real puzzles? Or just strategic key/medal/whatever finding? I forget.
Red/Green/Blue light puzzle in the church. The small puzzle behind the church with all the symbols. Should be a bunch more I'm forgetting. RE4 probably had the least and easiest puzzles of the entire series though.

Top Bottom