• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I bet you can't find me a single JRPG protagonist that fits my dumb criteria

technically, Zidane from FF9 should have facial hair since he's a monkey boy but since the power of PS1 isn't able to render that, too bad.

the typical japanese 'obsession' of having whiny sissy like pretty boy protagonist in their games is well-known. Heck, Kojima created Raiden out of spite because some female jap gamers teased that they don't want to play a game starring a 'gruff man' like Solid Snake. Thus, Raiden was born.
Has there ever been a more misguided focus group in history than that one? As if MGS won over millions of schoolgirls because the main protagonist was a whiny bleach blond clean shaven scrawny young man.

It boggles my mind then and it still boggles my mind today.

So....

Freshly-Picked_Tingle%27s_Rosy_Rupeeland_Coverart.png

Haruka

Sanada Yukimura from Sanada Juu Yuushi (to the right).

hqdefault.jpg

This game is a straight up Dragon Quest clone. They still managed to put an coming-of-age story in there because you are commanded by your father to gather troops and stop Tokugawa Iesayu.

Did I win?

Dragon Quest thread?

Dragon Quest thread.

char_52368.jpg
For the millionth time: that guy is a side character, he doesn't count. The main central male protagonist of DQVIII (the only DQ I ever played but that's besides the point) is still a young man with nary a single hair in his face.

It has to be the main character.

lord_lad

Banned
Has there ever been a more misguided focus group in history than that one? As if MGS won over millions of schoolgirls because the main protagonist was a whiny bleach blond clean shaven scrawny young man.

MGS is more popular in the west than Japan....thus the creation of Raiden to cater to the japs..

lord_lad

Banned
Sanada Yukimura from Sanada Juu Yuushi (to the right).

hqdefault.jpg

This game is a straight up Dragon Quest clone. They still managed to put an coming-of-age story in there because you are commanded by your father to gather troops and stop Tokugawa Iesayu.

Did I win?

you just won a marvel no-prize from Stan Lee!

Victrix

*beard*
Damnit, I was just going to say!
But yeah, I agree. Between VaanBalthier, Ashe and Basch, anyone of them could be considered protagonist if you argue hard enough.

2/3 beards ain't bad.

Matsuno games are a huge exception though, all of his games skew older - Ogre Battle, Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre, FF12. Crimson Shroud probably has the most 'youthful' main group of any of his games.

But really this is sort of a misguided thread to begin with, yes, jrpgs typically have young men/women as their leads. Just like western action games typically have middle aged bald dudes.

It's a cultural thing. I do think it's kind of interesting that a lot of purely western rpgs often have no primary main character at all, you can create them entirely from scratch. From that perspective, the mighty bearded womanizing Geralt is actually something of an exception compared to an elder scrolls or dnd game where you are whoever you want to be.

Ratrat

And yet the 3 sequels following it, which the protagonist is 40-70 appearance-wise, sold worse.

Because 16-20s make sense.
Youngsters going on adventures and living out a dream of adventuring through a naive look of the world.
When you hit 30s, the reality of life becomes much harsher.

And with an older age, a lot of JRPG refocus their story and character development based on it.

Not really.
It just means that in real life, people don't wear facial hair.
How many people do you work with have facial hair? Probably the minority when you look at the overall workforce.
And now look at the highest stage of society, how many politicians have facial hair? Barely none.

So I don't think you should expect facial hair characters to be in that many games.
It is just not common in real life, and shouldn't be expected for a game character to have one.
I don't buy that. Especially when the game is complete fantasy. If you can make an excuse for monsters or aliens or big breasted 15 year olds dressing like prostitutes you can make up a reason why the jrpg protagonist is 30.

I don't see Geralt from TW3 being 16 and he's the protagonist of a wrpg and embarking on a big adventure.

Toxi

Banned
Wait, does Dunban count? You do play as him in Xenoblade Chronicles' progloue.

latest
No. The OP is looking for central protagonists, not just any playable character. The central protagonist of Xenoblade Chronicles is Shulk.

Lots of party members in JRPGs have facial hair, but it's strangely rare for the hero himself to have any.

the same question can be directed to every western-developed shooter...

why do they have to star a gruff voiced muscle bound space marine with a hidden past

i rather more western studio embrace the wise-cracking swash-buckling type character like nathan drake than Marcus 'I am so badass and have so much muscle, i can't make a facial expression' phoenix.
Oh but of course! But one question at a time. Now I'm focusing on pointing out jrpgs and their lack of ideas (sometimes). Western developers have their own issues that are worth noting too.

Like I said in a previous post: this thread is my answer to the bald angry white straight dude with a gun chin down and eyes up you see in western games.

Rurunaki

Jrpg protags onsists of guys who are naive and looks at adventure as something wonderful. They are targetted towards the Shonen group hence the lack of facial hair. This is offset by a grizzled veteran side character that acts a mentor.

Young people play these games, not old salary men hence the protags being designed that way. Easier to emphatize with.

Edit: closest we can get to a mature protag is Balthier and he practically takes over the game. If not him, then choose one from the Final Fantasy 6 cast. Outside Terra and Celes, Edgar Sabin Locke and Cyan are the protagonists of the game.

He should have been the protagonist!! I loved him when I started and was really disappointed when I got Shulk afterwards.

Well he was for me,
since I never played past the prologue. Don't kill me XenoGaf.

No. The OP is looking for central protagonists, not just any playable character. The central protagonist of Xenoblade Chronicles is Shulk.

Lots of party members in JRPGs have facial hair, but it's strangely rare for the hero himself to have any.

There's gotta be a few obscure old jrpg which had main characters with facial hair. OP also dismisses SRPG which doesn't help.

Jrpg protags onsists of guys who are naive and looks at adventure as something wonderful. They are targetted towards the Shonen group hence the lack of facial hair. This is offset by a grizzled veteran side character that acts a mentor.

Young people play these games, not old salary men hence the protags being designed that way. Easier to emphatize with.
I hate this paradigm. I was 14 once too and no videogame character I found more badass than Solid Snake and he certainly wasn't a 16 year old naive boy with whom I should feel identified with.

Then again I'm not Japanese so that might have something to do with this.

Toxi

Banned
I don't get why people keep talking about age. Do young people not grow facial hair? I had my first full goatee at seventeen. And it certainly isn't odd to see people in their 20s sporting beards.

Depends on how you define JRPG.

If you mean traditional turn based combat: Berethor from Lord of the Rings: Third Age. The combat is FFX copy paste.
T5qnWbs.jpg

mclem

For the millionth time: that guy is a side character, he doesn't count. The main central male protagonist of DQVIII (the only DQ I ever played but that's besides the point) is still a young man with nary a single hair in his face.

It has to be the main character.

o3kPnTu.jpg

I hate this paradigm. I was 14 once too and no videogame character I found more badass than Solid Snake and he certainly wasn't a 16 year old naive boy with whom I should feel identified with.

Westerners tend to be more obsessed with the masculinity look.

Gotta be that tough grizzled look.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Because 16-20s make sense.
Youngsters going on adventures and living out a dream of adventuring through a naive look of the world.
When you hit 30s, the reality of life becomes much harsher.
And with an older age, a lot of JRPG refocus their story and character development based on it.

For what it's worth, this is one of the biggest deterrents for me in many role playing (irrespective of region) games, or games in general actually. The notion that only young teen (or borderline teen) folk can embark on adventures, riddled with their naivety, has naturally withered in appeal as I've gotten older and learned the same lessons they relearn with the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the face.

I'm far more interested in stories that revolve around a character not adventuring "because they're young and have much to learn", but because they find themselves in a complex situation that forces them to make tough decisions and have the developed the intellect to approach those decisions with the depth possessed by a mature adult.

It's about context, and the context for a young person adventure is so frequently lazy in its excuse. When age becomes a factor, and the difficulty of their journey more pronounced, the story as a whole for me becomes much more intriguing.

This is doubly so for characters who have history that can integrate into the story too. When your protagonist is so young you're quite often dealing with a blank slate. A boring entity shaping their identity throughout the story, much like a coming of age adventure. Older characters can not long be challenged with whatever the adventure and struggle is going forward, but be burdened by the past that lead them to develop into the person they are at the beginning.

Much of this is why I like Papa Nier so much. He's an tired old dude fighting to survive and save his daughter, not some wanky young shit on an adventure to get his first kiss and defeat mean mr teacher.

Rurunaki

Do not mix american culture with Japanese culture. For all we know, they associate facial hair with being a degenerate.

Look into their culture of Bishounen as well.

Golnei

I don't get why people keep talking about age. Do young people not grow beards? I had my first full goatee at seventeen. And it certainly isn't odd to see people in their 20s sporting facial hair.

Since uniform regulations prevent them from wearing anything resembling facial hair in school, the Japanese game industry is very serious about not turning the youth of Japan into delinquents with patches of ill-fated attempts at stubble. The moral character of the nation is at stake.

retroman

This is what the title screen from Miracle Warriors looks like:

MiracleWarriors_title.png

A whopping two moustaches out of four! Not bad, huh?

Now, this is what the in-game cast looks like:

cast.gif

Two of the characters (including the protagonist) wear face-covering helmets, possibly to prevent their fabulous moustaches from getting dirty during battles.

PsionBolt

Christ. I should've known.

Mario doesn't count, cmon! The entire reason he was given a mustache to begin with was because in 1981 Miyamoto couldn't draw a mouth on the character, but I digress.

Mario isn't a jrpg protagonist. He's started in some spin offs but you know what I meant by jrpg protagonist!

Ok new rule: a male protagonist with facial hair that STARTED and/or ORIGINATED from a jrpg.

You should tighten up those restrictions a bit more, because Paper Mario still passes this one. He was made specifically for a JRPG, never having appeared before that. (The upcoming Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam demonstrates that he's considered a distinct character / person from normal Mario.)

lord_lad

Banned
Nintendo needs to make Link hit puberty and grows up so that he can grew a facial hair..........and finally 'get it on' princess zelda.

That man deserve some 'fair rewards' from the princess for saving her so many times through so many incarnation. Link and Zelda having a 69 will be the game of my dreams.

Victrix

*beard*
Nintendo needs to make Link hit puberty and grows up so that he can grew a facial hair..........and finally 'get it on' princess zelda.

That man deserve some 'fair rewards' from the princess for saving her so many times through so many incarnation. Link and Zelda having a 69 will be the game of my dreams.

That's a post

Zolo

Zelda isn't a JRPG. =p

Haunted

Is that what the kids of today actually want?

No more of this pure-blooded "I want to get stronger!" adventuring bullshit.

syeefoo

Neo Member
Facial hair.. hmm .. sideburns count right?

I remember Raidou(?) from Devil Summoner having distinctive sideburns

Top Bottom