• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Far Cry game?

3 gets my vote. 4 just felt like a retread.

Primal was unique, and I applaud Ubi for taking a chance on a setting like that. Hopefully they continue to take risks.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Just picked up Primal on the steam sale. Playing it on Survivor but without permadeath.

It's fantastic and without the minimap etc it feels quite different from 3 and 4.

120v

FC3 is pretty much the standard bearer for "Far Cry"... it refined what came before, set the template for what would come after. so it's probably the best starting point.

though its age is starting to show, FC4 may be a better starting point. depends on your tolerance for "old" games, especially if you're not playing on PC

funny this thread comes up because i just now started Primal last night (a LTTP thread may follow later). only played a few hours but so far pretty solid, looks gorgeous too. may be my new favorite

Just picked up Primal on the steam sale. Playing it on Survivor but without permadeath.

It's fantastic and without the minimap etc it feels quite different from 3 and 4.

I actually haven't started it yet just because the setting puts me off, but this type of comment may force me to it.

Courage

I have a love/hate relationship with 2, but very few open world games have come close to emulating its world design and emergent gameplay, except maybe MGS V.

I think 3 is one of the better modern Ubisoft open world games, and I've been interested in playing Primal.

Bolivar687

Banned
Far Cry 3 is fun and I enjoyed the story a lot more than I thought I would but it's not really the successor to Far Cry 2, if that's what you're looking for.

Metal Gear Solid V is the open world action game that carries on the idea of dynamic objectives and having the complete freedom to decide where, when, and how you tackle each challenge.

rainz

Seems like no one can really agree hah..
I've been playing through 3 for the first time lately and am liking it. Has some of the best psychedelic/trippy scenes I've seen in a game as well, if you like that type of stuff.
Cant speak for 4/Primal as haven't played them yet. FC2 went on way too long for what it was from memory.

breakfuss

For me it's 3. Had a lot of fun with that and enjoyed the story. Sure, 4 is more refined but it felt like a retread.

shridz

Neo Member
Farcry 3 and 4 are in my books as good as each other. And they are vastly better than far cry 2. Far cry 2 had a lot of ideas that sounded neat on paper, but in practice they just turned out to be frustrating.

Far cry blood dragon is just pure fun. It is short and a blast to play through.

I did not play primal, but it's gameplay is based on the most boring side missions of far cry 4, so i have no interest in trying it.

I would say buy 3 and 4. Both are worth the bang for your buck.

leng jai

Primal is great for about 4 hours of pure scavenging and exploration. The story/characters are almost non-existent and the mission design/combat is repetitive as hell. The game is incredibly pretty even though it lacks a proper weather system.

wenaldy

I used to hate FC2 because of the annoying checkpoints, super human enemy, goddamn malaria and unrealistic weapon degradation. But the game is hardcore compared to the "user friendly" FC3 and FC4. The original installment is still best tho.

I've heard that there are mods which do a good job alleviating some of FC2's issues such as respawning checkpoints.

I definitely enjoyed FC3 with Ziggy's Mod.

antitrop

Seems like no one can really agree hah..
I've been playing through 3 for the first time lately and am liking it. Has some of the best psychedelic/trippy scenes I've seen in a game as well, if you like that type of stuff.
Cant speak for 4/Primal as haven't played them yet. FC2 went on way too long for what it was from memory.

The "Advanced Chemistry" mission from Far Cry 4 is the best psychedelic mission in the series.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'd get 4, 3 is kind of an unoptimized piece of trash at times. At least for me, thick forests with tons of fire and enemies is a locked 60 but god damn if you enter a village with christmas lights that shit drops to 30 easily.

J_Viper

I'd give it to FC4 if it weren't for those awful stealth oriented missions that plagued the latter half of the main campaign. It was those moments when I knew the AC3 lead was in charge of this game as well.

PaulloDEC

I've actually enjoyed all the Far Cry games. It's a pretty consistent IP I think.

I've got more fond memories of 2 than the others, but I did play that when I was a fair bit younger. Cool game, though.

3 has the best story. 4 best gameplay. Get both 3 and 4.
3's story was horrible and the only reason so many people like it is because of Vaas.

My favorite for the brief amount of time I played it co-op was 4. Not sure how Primal is though because I never picked it up.

Darkangel

I think I liked Far Cry 3 the most.

It took the open world gameplay concept from Far Cry 2, but actually made it fun to play. The storyline borders from "kind of cool" to "so bad it's almost good." It's still a really nice looking game on PC, I'm surprised there isn't a "definitive edition" port yet.

Tropical Islands > Central Africa and Asian Mountains.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
I actually haven't started it yet just because the setting puts me off, but this type of comment may force me to it.

5 hours in so far, tried to take over an outpost a few times but just got wrecked each time because you have exactly the same health as your enemies.

It's fantastic on Survivor.

2 will always be my favorite. The game was always so tenses between malaria fevers and guns jamming a fire fight good be going great and then all of a sudden you're on the back foot. You could be traveling through the jungle just hunting diamonds when you stumble on to a patrol. But despite the difficulty there was the ally system. Far cry really came in to its own with 2. A lot of what I came back for in later games were introduced with 2. But no other far cray has ever matched that sense of tension and atmosphere for me.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
One thing I loved about FC2 was the little mini-map. One of the most immersive and most seamless integrations of a waypoint system I've ever used. Do the other games do anything similar?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yo, Far Cry 2 with colour is gorgeous. Redownloading that shit right away.
One thing I loved about FC2 was the little mini-map. One of the most immersive and most seamless integrations of a waypoint system I've ever used. Do the other games do anything similar?

Nah, they use a map screen and UbiTowers to show more shit on the map.

I'd say the original and 2 in terms of scope, but
the first half of CRYSIS is the best Far Cry game ever, and you'll call my opinion cheating :D

In terms of fun though? Nothing comes close to this

RogpY5z.jpg

Escape From L.A. (SET IN THE GLORIOUS FUTURE OF 2007!) with Dinosaurs Dragons. NEVER miss a chance to play this.

Also, there's a sale of FC4's season pass on steam right now. What do you say GAF, worth it?

ryseing

I'd say the original and 2 in terms of scope, but
the first half of CRYSIS is the best Far Cry game ever, and you'll call my opinion cheating :D

In terms of fun though? Nothing comes close to this

RogpY5z.jpg

Escape From L.A. (SET IN THE GLORIOUS FUTURE OF 2007!) with Dinosaurs Dragons. NEVER miss a chance to play this.

Also, there's a sale of FC4's season pass on steam right now. What do you say GAF, worth it?

Valley of the Yeti is good. Didn't play the other content.

I hated #1

Couldn't get into #2 because the shooting controls just didn't feel good.

#3 was amazing and I loved every minute of it.

#4 was just more of #3 but IMO that isn't a bad thing at all

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Far Cry 2 vs. Far Cry 4

Pretty interesting video I came across. I had my gripes with Far Cry 2 when I played it, but I remember really digging the atmosphere and the "ruggedness" of it all. The narrator touches on some of that and compares it to Far Cry 4, which kinda looks like CoD several times.

Karak

We covered it a great deal in the primal thread back then but no huding primal is fantastic.
Easily the best Far Cry for me as well.

gogosox82

Blood Dragon is the best imo with FC 4 being a close second. FC 3 should be higher but you have to play one the shittiest and unbelieveable main characters ever put in a video game and the story doesn't revolve around Vaas and takes a weird turn that makes little sense at the end. FC 2 was really good for about 10 hours and then it gets extremely repetitive and boring. Only redeeming quality is the Map editor.

injurai

Banned
FC2 > FC1

The rest I found to be rather dull and at times terrible. 3 is especially bad. Haven't played Primal, looks cool but I hear it's not all that great.

Maddrical

It feels like asking this questions is like asking "Best Soulsbourne game?" there isn't really a definitive answer because the games from 2 onwards (but especially 3 onwards) are all quite similar, so it's then down to personal preference about what you value most in a game.

injurai

Banned
It feels like asking this questions is like asking "Best Soulsbourne game?" there isn't really a definitive answer because the games from 2 onwards (but especially 3 onwards) are all quite similar, so it's then down to personal preference about what you value most in a game.

1 is basically Crysis. 2 is quite unique.

3 and on are the ones that are all pretty much carbon copies.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
3 has perhaps the best friend character of any video games ever...
j5X6QiS.jpg

This is SAM

Sam is the man. And you will regret your words and deeds or whatever...

3 is great for a fun ass time.
2 is great cause it's kind of grueling and insane
4 is great cause it's more of the same from 3. Plus tiny helicopters.

awww fuck i forgot Primal. So different.. such tiger. Much blood drugs. Play it last as a palette cleanser.

(fyi if you hadn't said you have already played 2 i would say 2 cause hot damn that game is immerses you ... like 5 feet under mud. And holds you there while you squirm. I love it. )

jettpack

FC2 easily.

I like its setting the best. I think its combat is the most challenging. I dig the structure and environments. The systems based craziness is where that game shines for real though. I liked 1 for what it was at the time, however it doesnt hold up at all (crysis does tho). I liked 3, havent played 4.
far-cry-2--20080715051140344.jpg

Do y'all remember the Ubisoft Farcry game's on Console before farcry 2? Far Cry Instincts and Far cry Instincts predator?
latest

Top Bottom