• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New? Sonic Wii Movie

Aske

I'm surprised at some of the assumptions being made about gameplay. The videos captured of those playing it at e3 showed that they were having a hell of a time with the obstacles; and their abject failing to maintain anything close to the speed of the demo suggests to me that the gameplay is less simple than it might appear. It looks like 2D Sonic crossed with F-Zero, and I'm anticipating levels that aren't tough to clear once, but which beg repeat runs for time-attack scores. Easy to beat for casuals; tough to beat perfectly for the dedicated. I'm being optimistic, and only time will tell; but based on current info I'd say the game looks far more complex than the interactive cut scenes it's being compared to.

Scullibundo said:
Maybe I should clarify. Games in which you don't play an active part, but give the illusion of choice (press right to watch scripted path A or left scripted part B) are not games.
So essentially you're saying that every auto-scrolling level in any 2D platformer does not count as part of a real game? Just want to clarify, because that's basically what you have here, from a different perspective and more control.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Anyone else think the original, awesome Sonics were never actually that fast.

Sure you had the rollercoaster sections, and occasional burnout but generally the game wasnt really THAT fast. Just fun and imaginative. I remember playing Bubsy the bobcat as a kid and thinking 'Whoa this guy can actually run faster than Sonic'

Also I consider Tails, Knuckles and Amy part of the original Sonic 16bit canon, rather than the shitty friends, which came later.

The whole Fzero/Burnout clinging white knuckle ride thing wont work without adequete risks. It seems when you hit something you spin and lose a few rings, which really is not sufficient if they are pushing that gameplay dynamic.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
AndoCalrissian said:
So essentially you're saying that every auto-scrolling level in any 2D platformer does not count as part of a real game? Just want to clarify, because that's basically what you have here, from a different perspective and more control.

I highly doubt we'll be getting a 3D version of something like this though.

Map of Carnival Night Zone 1

Saoh

same old videos but this looks really really good :)

MUCH better than this shit
sonicugh.jpg

i'll probably get this game if it turns out good, but i like what i see so far. only hope for more enviroments.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I dunno, I think this could be a lot of fun. I'm certainly looking forward to it.

The lack of 60 fps is pretty disappointing (considering the visuals), but I'm still excited about it.

dark10x said:
I dunno, I think this could be a lot of fun. I'm certainly looking forward to it.

The lack of 60 fps is pretty disappointing (considering the visuals), but I'm still excited about it.

Seriously, I think this is one situation where I must side with dark. Lack of 60fps might hurt this game for me.

Simply focusing on Sonic has my hopes up a bit higher for this one. Maybe not having to deal with retarded friends/storyline will help the gameplay.

Squeak

Why isn't the outcry for lack of 60fps greater? If it is true (the videos look 60fps), it's absolutely a catastrophic!
On the other hand I don't understand the bashing of the music in the new trailer, it a pretty big step above the white snake rip off in the Adventure games and far far better than anything in the recent outings in the series (apart from Rush).

dark10x

If it is true (the videos look 60fps), it's absolutely a catastrophic!
Err, the videos would have to be encoded at 60 fps to be 60 fps (and that is very uncommon due to file size).

dark10x

Mr. Pointy said:
Looks like 30fps with motion blur, which has pretty much become the new 60fps ever since next-gen started.
I don't think that is the case.

The motion blur you speak of is likely impossible on the Wii anyways, so even if blur was used, it would not have the same effect as what you are referring to.

Luckett_X

Banned
Maxrpg said:
It still doesn't matter. Sonic of old was always about Left to Right, which is my point. Except Sonic Wii is now in 3D, so it's back to front.

Except now you can't turn around and backtrack. Or roll. Or any real platforming. Nor do the levels appear to have any height to them, rather replaced by the occasional turn off alternate route like a car game more than a platformer. Isn't it about time you put on your Wrong Hat and apologised profusely lest we beat you soundly with more 2d mappage/canes?

Luckett_X said:
Except now you can't turn around and backtrack. Or roll. Or any real platforming. Nor do the levels appear to have any height to them, rather replaced by the occasional turn off alternate route like a car game more than a platformer. Isn't it about time you put on your Wrong Hat and apologised profusely lest we beat you soundly with more 2d mappage/canes?
How many levels have we seen... two? Call back when the game is released. Bitch about this stuff when you know it to be true, rather than basing it all off two likely unfinished levels.

Luckett_X

Banned
Sega used up my small quantity's of 'benefit of the doubt' when they placed a desert eagle in a cartoon hedgehogs hand.

I judge things on what I have actually seen, not on magical potential idealistic views of games that may or may not come to pass.

Branduil

Luckett_X said:
Except now you can't turn around and backtrack.

You can go backwards.

Or roll. Or any real platforming. Nor do the levels appear to have any height to them, rather replaced by the occasional turn off alternate route like a car game more than a platformer.

There were several places with height. I guess jumping doesn't count as platforming anymore.

TreIII

People can spout off about old school Sonic game's platforming and what not, but there was always one fundamental thing about old school Sonic that did indeed make it a racing game at its core...and what was it? Time.

What's this? I only have 10 minutes of game time to get through a level, before I see "TIME OVER"? Oh snap, I can't dawdle around, or I'll lose a life by default!

If the devs really wanted you to fool around in the levels as long as you pleased, they probably wouldn't have forced such a constraint like the ten minute time limit on you. That "legendary part" (you all should know what I'm talking about! :D) in Carnival Night Act 2 in Sonic 3 (and Knux) wouldn't have had as much clout as it did if there wasn't a ten minute limit that was breathing down your neck, forcing you to think fast and figure out a solution to get out of there. But instead, they did, because the focus was STILL to get through the act as fast as you could. Hell, you got a decent time bonus for how fast you were able to complete the act, not how much of the act you explored! When the devs reward you for such things like a time bonus and ring bonus, I would think that would be enough of a point to show that that was what the devs had in mind for how the game was meant to be played.

So really...I don't see what the big fuss is all about. Even at the beginning, Sonic games always had an incentive on making you move your spiny, blue ass. And I think that's the fundamental thing which makes it so I can't side with FFF and his physics equations, or those who draw up maps of levels entirely, because they seemingly forget this rather important facet of the old games, while they freely talk about other details like "physics" and "platforming aspects can be supported, based on maps"...

beelzebozo said:
wow, was backtracking really a crucial element of past sonic games? i really don't remember that, guys.

Probably Sonic 3D and maybe Sonic and Knuckles.

Otherwise, backtracking wasn't always the way to go, at least for me. More about branching paths.

fable2323

Banned
Luckett_X said:

Ok, I played the game at E3 and you most certainly can backtrack. Although this was difficult as the player was running towards the camera. The levels also do have height to them. On the demo level at E3 (the arabian nights looking desert level), you actually made it up on to the side of a broken down type building that you had to shimmy across a small ledge while spikes were poking out. There definately is variety in the gameplay. However, I believe that speeding through the zones is what this game is going to be all about. There was a portion of the level I played that was a sort of open square shaped arena where enemies came out and you had to defeat them all before moving foward again. If you haven't played the game simply shut up and wait till you do. Videos and pictures never tell the truth about games.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
TreIII said:
People can spout off about old school Sonic game's platforming and what not, but there was always one fundamental thing about old school Sonic that did indeed make it a racing game at its core...and what was it? Time.

What's this? I only have 10 minutes of game time to get through a level, before I see "TIME OVER"? Oh snap, I can't dawdle around, or I'll lose a life by default!

If the devs really wanted you to fool around in the levels as long as you pleased, they probably wouldn't have forced such a constraint like the ten minute time limit on you. That "legendary part" (you all should know what I'm talking about! :D) in Carnival Night Act 2 in Sonic 3 (and Knux) wouldn't have had as much clout as it did if there wasn't a ten minute limit that was breathing down your neck, forcing you to think fast and figure out a solution to get out of there. But instead, they did, because the focus was STILL to get through the act as fast as you could. Hell, you got a decent time bonus for how fast you were able to complete the act, not how much of the act you explored! When the devs reward you for such things like a time bonus and ring bonus, I would think that would be enough of a point to show that that was what the devs had in mind for how the game was meant to be played.

So really...I don't see what the big fuss is all about. Even at the beginning, Sonic games always had an incentive on making you move your spiny, blue ass. And I think that's the fundamental thing which makes it so I can't side with FFF and his physics equations, or those who draw up maps of levels entirely, because they seemingly forget this rather important facet of the old games, while they freely talk about other details like "physics" and "platforming aspects can be supported, based on maps"...
I guess all the Mario games were racing games too, since it also had a time limit/time bonus. Mario Kart closer to it's roots than SM64? :lol

TreIII said:

You have to understand that a 10 minute time limit in a sub-3 minute act is pretty generous. Forget all the hidden star-posts and big special stage rings? You were still rewarded for exploring. It did have the speed aspect, nobody can deny that. But that's not what the game relied on alone. Remember the lightning shield's double jump? The other shields?

You say physics aren't important but that was the best part of what made Sonic such a unique platformer. Getting to new areas by taking advantage of bumps in the terrain or half pipes. Knowing how much speed you'll need to run up the wall and upside-down to make it to that item box?

Also, multi-layered levels didn't always have paths that led into one another. Take Angel Island Zone from Sonic 3. Throughout the entire level you could take at least 2 different routes that wouldn't meet up until the end of the act.

luckett... why do you insist that 'rolling' is a crucial part of a sonic game time and time again?

it's always been debatable if sonic games were about exploration or speed. this game is for the people that think they're about speed. nothing wrong with that.

there is still platforming... i'm pretty sure there are still branching paths (though don't take my word for it) and this game looks like a bunch of SA2 styled sonic levels. that's as good a 3d sonic game as i think anyone can expect.

you spend the whole time as sonic. no farting about as knuckles looking for gems. no driving wacky vehicles as tales...

it's not the glory days (URGH sonic games need to STOP HAVING SONGS and start having music again) but for many of us, it's as close to them as we're going to get until someone decides to make a game in 3d with the 2d gameplay and perspective on the next gen machines.

ElFly

I really don't remember that the time limit in the old Sonic games was that important.

I rarely died due to that. 10 minutes is a looong time on those levels.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
TreIII said:

The only times I can ever remember hitting 10 minutes were when a; I thought I left the game on pause and hadn't and b; I got trapped in some kind of glitch (I remember them described in manuals as 'there are some traps where the only way out is to wait until 10 minutes or to restart the machine!)

plagiarize said:
luckett... why do you insist that 'rolling' is a crucial part of a sonic game time and time again?

it's always been debatable if sonic games were about exploration or speed. this game is for the people that think they're about speed. nothing wrong with that.

there is still platforming... i'm pretty sure there are still branching paths (though don't take my word for it) and this game looks like a bunch of SA2 styled sonic levels. that's as good a 3d sonic game as i think anyone can expect.

you spend the whole time as sonic. no farting about as knuckles looking for gems. no driving wacky vehicles as tales...

it's not the glory days (URGH sonic games need to STOP HAVING SONGS and start having music again) but for many of us, it's as close to them as we're going to get until someone decides to make a game in 3d with the 2d gameplay and perspective on the next gen machines.

There are, as confirmed by the same link that provided the video.

TreIII

Scullibundo said:
You have to understand that a 10 minute time limit in a sub-3 minute act is pretty generous. Forget all the hidden star-posts and big special stage rings? You were still rewarded for exploring. It did have the speed aspect, nobody can deny that. But that's not what the game relied on alone. Remember the lightning shield's double jump? The other shields?

You say physics aren't important but that was the best part of what made Sonic such a unique platformer. Getting to new areas by taking advantage of bumps in the terrain or half pipes. Knowing how much speed you'll need to run up the wall and upside-down to make it to that item box?

First off, I never said that physics were not important. I said that I can't side with the arguments that some others support, which often CITE such things like physics, but to me, that's only one part of what made old Sonic games what they were. Speed had a heavy element in these games too; even when you had to slow down and possibly time your movements correctly, you were still meant to be on the up and up. To say the least, if you didn't, father time would come and bite you on the ass.

And I won't deny that ten minutes was generous. But compared to some people I know who sometimes act like Sonic Acts were little Symphony of the Night Castles in themselves, I thought that my argument had to be brought up. You weren't meant to fool around in those levels all day, moreso to memorize the ideal paths that would get you through the levels as quick as possible, while snagging as many bonuses along the way.

Also, multi-layered levels didn't always have paths that led into one another. Take Angel Island Zone from Sonic 3. Throughout the entire level you could take at least 2 different routes that wouldn't meet up until the end of the act.

Right. And I'm sure that there will probably be such instances in Secret Rings as well, such that when you pick one path, you'll possibly be "committed" to that path for the entire duration of that level. "Branching paths", to me, is just a catch-all which could describe this entire gameplay dynamic where you have to make a choice, and live with it to either the end of the act, or possibly a divergence some where in the middle.

Scullibundo said:
Maybe I should clarify. Games in which you don't play an active part, but give the illusion of choice (press right to watch scripted path A or left scripted part B) are not games.
GAF feels like ****ing McCarthyism these days, it's getting pretty ridiculous.

DO YOU SUSPECT THAT YOUR FAVORITE GAME MIGHT BE A NON-GAME? BE A SAFE AND CONSCIENCIOUS CITIZEN, AND ALWAYS REPORT SUSPICIOUS GAMES TO THE HOUSE NON-GAME COMMITTEE. REMEMBER, CITIZENS: NON-GAMING IS CONTAGIOUS. THERE IS A CHILLING DOMINO EFFECT. ONCE ONE NON-GAME SELLS, OTHERS WILL BEGIN TO SELL, SLOWLY AT FIRST BUT IN GREATER NUMBERS, UNTIL PURE AND LOYAL GAMES ARE DOOMED...FOREVER.

GAMES FROM THE FOLLOWING GENRES ARE MOST LIKELY TO DEFECT TO NON-GAME STATUS:
ADVENTURE
PUZZLE
PLATFORM
SIMULATION
MINI-GAME
HYBRID GAMES
ANY GAME WHERE YOU LEARN ANYTHING

BE VIGILANT, CITIZENS!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Chris Remo said:

DO YOU SUSPECT THAT YOUR FAVORITE GAME MIGHT BE A NON-GAME? BE A SAFE AND CONSCIENCIOUS CITIZEN, AND ALWAYS REPORT SUSPICIOUS GAMES TO THE HOUSE NON-GAME COMMITTEE. REMEMBER, CITIZENS: NON-GAMING IS CONTAGIOUS. THERE IS A CHILLING DOMINO EFFECT. ONCE ONE NON-GAME SELLS, OTHERS WILL BEGIN TO SELL, SLOWLY AT FIRST BUT IN GREATER NUMBERS, UNTIL PURE AND LOYAL GAMES ARE DOOMED...FOREVER.

ADVENTURE
PUZZLE
PLATFORM
SIMULATION
MINI-GAME
HYBRID GAMES

BE VIGILANT, CITIZENS!

"sounds like a non-game to me.."

companyexeswhisperingto5.jpg

"no no no, bill.. this one has projectiles. it's safe."

Branduil

Chris Remo said:

ADVENTURE
PUZZLE
PLATFORM
SIMULATION
MINI-GAME
HYBRID GAMES

BE VIGILANT, CITIZENS!

:D

*laughs at the people complaining about a lack of ...60 FPS :lol *

*and to the people who call this a...'non-game'.. :lol :lol *

Ohhhh, GAF... You never let me down.

Luckett_X

Banned
oh cool, closed arena's to endlessly homing attack enemies in before you can progress. phew

Also by 'level height' I don't mean "oooh I'm dead high up now!", I am referencing the level maps of the old platformers. Its one of the fundamental reasons why 3d Sonic's have never had as great level design as the classics. Many stages have 3-4 'paths' through them at varying heights. 'Height' is often what makes a platformer. You are jumping, upwards, downwards, exploring. The ledge spike avoiding shimmying also seems incredibly dull.

I havent seen any videos displaying the ability to backtrack, so I'll wait to see that, but from what has been presented so far, I find the game to be horrendously dull and uninteresting, and it is a fasttrack to irritating me reading so many "back to sonic's roots!" and "old games were just about holding right anyway!" comments.

jgkspsx

This doesn't look nearly as good as the Genesis Sonics, but it looks better than any Sonic game since 3D Blast. I'll give it a try, unless there are NOW LOADING any sur- NOW LOADING pri- NOW LOADING ses.

dark10x

jgkspsx said:
This doesn't look nearly as good as the Genesis Sonics, but it looks better than any Sonic game since 3D Blast. I'll give it a try, unless there are NOW LOADING any sur- NOW LOADING pri- NOW LOADING ses.
Yeah, that was THE worst surprise with the 360 game right there. Yeah, the game itself is flawed, but someone who enjoyed SA1 and 2 could probably enjoy the new one as well.

The loading, however, is SO bad that it pretty much destroys the game at times. The town missions had to have been crafted by the devil himself...

Top Bottom