• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega threatens legal action against YTMND

Jacobi

Banned
Chao said:
Elkastone got serious here. Please Sega, hire this guy and your Sonic games will be 10x times better than they are now.
I think she is the female version of the guy who married Peach
or a joke character
but there is far too much work in her videos

Cdammen

Psyduck.gif

This thread is filled with funny and freaky stuff :lol

Bildi

Fularu said:
Oh THANK YOU Kind sir for putting me in *my* place for using the french word because I'm used to! Wow you sure served me right there.

I'm sorry, but even if I used the wrong *legal* terms for the stuff I cited, but when you do something with the intended point of HARMING a company through so called "humour", it is attackable on a legal standpoint.

And there have been cases where "parodies" or "mocking" an intelectual property has led to rulings. Thankfully we don't all live in uncle sam's country eh?

Since you mentioned that "there have been cases where "parodies" or "mocking" an intelectual property has led to rulings", otherwise known as a legal precedent, here are some legal precedents against your argument from an authoritative legal database: http://www.somethingawful.com/legal/

Now you can come up with some to support your argument. That way we can all play courtroom drama!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bildi said:
Since you mentioned that "there have been cases where "parodies" or "mocking" an intelectual property has led to rulings", otherwise known as a legal precedent, here are some legal precedents against your argument from an authoritative legal database: http://www.somethingawful.com/legal/

Now you can come up with some to support your argument. That way we can all play courtroom drama!

SA hasn't actually been sued, though. Those are all legal threats by complete and utter idiots pretending to be lawyers (or just poor lawyers). Whether or not any or all of those cases would have ruled against SA is undecided because Lowtax is smart enough to know that they don't intend on following through with the lawsuits to begin with.

If you want ACTUAL legal precedents, you can check Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music Inc or Suntrust v. Houghton Mifflin both within the last ten years. Both of which affirm the right to parody, which is explicitly stated in US copyright law anyway.

KINGMOKU

This is all assinine anyway. Even if in a strange universe YTMND did go belly-up, another webtsite would just pop-up with the sole intent of making Sega's life miserable.

It's protected speech, period.

Sega gets what they deserve, plain and simple.

Bildi

Stumpokapow said:
If you want ACTUAL legal precedents, you can check Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music Inc or Suntrust v. Houghton Mifflin both within the last ten years. Both of which affirm the right to parody, which is explicitly stated in US copyright law anyway.

Dude, we were only PLAYING courtroom drama! You're citing REAL legal things!

Still, someone from the other side needs to respond with their legal artillery so we can get some real action.

To be honest I don't see how anything in the rest of 2007 will be better than this, specifically the response. Editors, get your 2007 highlights draft fired up early.

Top Bottom