• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/28 - 5/4

Pachael

Nintendo games don't get swamped by anything, which is their biggest advantage. On the flip side, Sega, well, not really.

Either way, I'm hoping like heck that Sega does Valkyria a good localisation and marketing effort when it comes to US/EU shores, but I'm not confident that will happen (like what happened in Yakuza)

Vinnk

Cheesemeister said:
No. Seems Media Create's webmaster is still napping due to Golden Week, which is already over.

I'll nudge him.

Anyway, these must be the least exciting Golden Week numbers I have ever read.

I guess TV games were a fad.

31./43. [NDS] Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo)
32./25. [PSP] Star Ocean 2: Second Evolution (Square-Enix)
33./39. [NDS] Harvest Moon: Shining Sun and Friends (Marvelous Entertainment)
34./00. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS (Bandai-Namco)
35./36. [NDS] Animal Crossing Wild World (Nintendo)
36./35. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 5 (Konami)
37./19. [NDS] Detective Saburou Jinguuji DS: Inextinguishable Heart (ArcSystemWorks)
38./27. [NDS] Phoenix Wright 4 (Capcom)
39./44. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond (Pokémon)
40./31. [NDS] Phoenix Wright 3 (Capcom)
41./00. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
42./41. [NDS] Phoenix Wright 2 (Capcom)
43./49. [NDS] More Brain Age (Nintendo)
44./50. [NDS] Kanji Test 2 (Rocket Co.)
45./00. [NDS] Pokémon Pearl (Pokémon)
46./00. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
47./48. [NDS] DS Bookkeeping, Level 3 (Square-Enix)
48./16. [PSP] Vantage Master Portable (Falcom)
49./00. [NDS] Case Closed! The Missing Professor and the Puzzling Tower (Bandai-Namco)
50./00. [NDS] Powerful Pro-kun Pocket 10 (Konami)

NDS - 32
WII - 10
PSP - 4
PS2 - 2
PS3 - 2

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. PSP   -   100,870 |    92,411 | 1,594,203 |  9,195,797
2. WII   -    71,518 |    48,796 | 1,310,912 |  5,927,072
3. NDS   -    52,542 |    42,435 | 1,292,024 | 22,465,075
4. PS3   -    10,177 |     9,107 |   392,847 |  2,034,523
5. PS2   -     8,802 |     7,108 |   206,808 | 21,133,845
6. 360   -     1,725 |     1,283 |    53,729 |    561,070

s_20080428.png

asmodeal

The infamous bump of golden week and what an incredulous increase of 1000 ps3, that's just woah, words are not enough.

Nocebo

PSP hardware kicking ass for a while now. Pretty impressive. I wonder if titles like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear will do the same for PS3. But I secretly hope WiiFit will pass PS3, for comical reasons.

Vinnk

Nocebo said:
PSP hardware kicking ass for a while now. Pretty impressive. I wonder if titles like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear will do the same for PS3. But I secretly hope WiiFit will pass PS3, for comical reasons.

I can kind of see something like Monster Hunter happening with PS3. FFXIII and MGS4 being the only games that chart and people buying the system for them alone. But really that is not the type of growth Sony wants.

Right now they are selling the razors (used to be giving them away) and only Capcom is selling the blades. And for most people, 1 blade a year is plenty.

Eventually this model could make Sony some money (once they sell the systems at a profit) but it is clearly not what they were aiming to do.

Innotech

Banned
Vinnk said:
I can kind of see something like Monster Hunter happening with PS3. FFXIII and MGS4 being the only games that chart and people buying the system for them alone. But really that is not the type of growth Sony wants.

Right now they are selling the razors (used to be giving them away) and only Capcom is selling the blades. And for most people, 1 blade a year is plenty.

Eventually this model could make Sony some money (once they sell the systems at a profit) but it is clearly not what they were aiming to do.
do you think MH3 will keep the PSP selling like this for the duration of its life or will it ever slow down like DS did?

Terrell

Vinnk said:

Yeah, I think that's what a lot of people seem to be missing... for all the Monster Hunter sales on PSP, there's little to no software growth across the PSP catalog like we saw with major Nintendo software on DS eventually raising the sales bar for the rest of the titles in the catalog. Seriously, it makes 3rd-party sales on Wii seem like a COLOSSAL TRIUMPH in comparison. Unless the numbers push up drastically for anything else, it's like a hollow sales bump with minimal positive effect.

But hey, at least it keeps Capcom's bank accounts well-fed. Nothing wrong with that, I guess.

now that i think of it. is it anyway possible that the slowed down PS3 sales are due in turn to people waiting for MGS4 bundles or am i giving the masses to much credit?

well either way once it hits we can expect a definite surge. especially since silver is being added as a color option.

Nocebo

Vinnk said:

Good point. But for some people hardware selling is enough to claim victory *coughtabriscough* :lol Perhaps a Monster Hunter like situation will turn out better for PS3?

Vinnk

Innotech said:
do you think MH3 will keep the PSP selling like this for the duration of its life or will it ever slow down like DS did?

It all depends on wether or not Monster Hunter starts to experience series fatigue. Right now that is the game everyone is buying. Before that it was Monster hunter 2 (and a temporary bump from CC:FFVII). The new redesign helped too and that has had a much longer bump than anyone expected.

If kids are still nuts about Monster Hunter by the time 3 is out it could see continuing high sales. But MH will need to keep brining in new players. If only the current MH players buy 3 then it won"t do much on the software side.

The series is hot right now. My elementary school kids are seeing their big brothers playing it and think it looks cool. I have heard kids talk about wanting to play it. Meanwhile the Jr. High and High school kids are currently playing it and don"t seem to be getting sick of it.

COuld we be witnessing the birth of the next pokemon? Time will tell.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vinnk said:
It all depends on wether or not Monster Hunter starts to experience series fatigue. Right now that is the game everyone is buying. Before that it was Monster hunter 2 (and a temporary bump from CC:FFVII). The new redesign helped too and that has had a much longer bump than anyone expected.

If kids are still nuts about Monster Hunter by the time 3 is out it could see continuing high sales. But MH will need to keep brining in new players. If only the current MH players buy 3 then it won"t do much on the software side.

The series is hot right now. My elementary school kids are seeing their big brothers playing it and think it looks cool. I have heard kids talk about wanting to play it. Meanwhile the Jr. High and High school kids are currently playing it and don"t seem to be getting sick of it.

I dont think anything will ever duplicate Pokemon

Innotech

Banned
Vinnk said:

how much of this could translate to the wii? It seems that Nintendo picked up this franchise at a very opportune time for the wii.

Nocebo

Innotech said:
how much of this could translate to the wii? It seems that Nintendo picked up this franchise at a very opportune time for the wii.
They say MH Portable is successful because of it's portability. So it might not do that well. On the other hand Wii owners might be starving for some good RPGs.

PSP and Wii are going very strong indeed. And SMG :D .

battleMAUS said:
now that i think of it. is it anyway possible that the slowed down PS3 sales are due in turn to people waiting for MGS4 bundles or am i giving the masses to much credit?

well either way once it hits we can expect a definite surge. especially since silver is being added as a color option.
Posibility is very slim. Bigger franchises have been launched on PS3 already.

Apart from that it'll give it a boost for sure. I mean with PS3 barely reaching 10k during golden week and the possibility of the numbers going down even further, MGS not giving PS3 a boost would be unthinkable.

gconsole

perfectchaos007 said:
Eh, lets not go that low. How about somewhere in the middle like the next Yu-Gi-Oh

The only thing that prevent MH from being Pokemon of PSP is its zero popularity in the west. I can imagine MH sale at the same level as Pokemon in japan if it release something like MH red, MH blue, etc. You see how this sequel sale

MH 2 - 0.6 M
MH 2P - 1.7 M
MH 2PG - 1.9 M

~ 4.2 M

That's crazy number.

Hammer24

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Apart from that it'll give it a boost for sure. I mean with PS3 barely reaching 10k during golden week and the possibility of the numbers going down even further, MGS not giving PS3 a boost would be unthinkable.

So what would you expect for MGS launch week? More than 25k?

Vinnk

Hammer24 said:
So what would you expect for MGS launch week? More than 25k?

More than that. How many bundles are they making? The MGS fanbase in Japan is not huge, but it is very devoted. They will snap these bundles up.

Just like the Gundam bundles. Those were pretty much gone after 3 weeks.

Minna no Golf on the other hand had bundles on the shelves 4 months after it came out.

Casual vs. hardcore.

And if it for some reason does only sell 25k that week.. I mean.. come on.. it's over.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Innotech said:

Nintendo didn't pick up the franchise.

There are a number of reasons why MH went from PS2 to Wii; the most important one is that it's easy to port or make simultaneously a game for the Wii and PSP.

Capcom makes just one game, sells like crazy on two consoles and goes home laughing with money on the pocket.

So don't expect a big MH game coming on PS3 or DS (maybe a spinoff for DS to test potential market). That would be a waste of money.

And yes, the Wii version will sell very good. This is mainly because it will come out before the PSP version, so anyone wanting to experience a new MH will have to buy it (and this will help Wii sales).

Sales should not compare to PS2, because when MH was released on that platform, the series weren't popular.

jarrod

Banned
manueldelalas said:
Nintendo didn't pick up the franchise.
Actually they did... Iwata even admitted the reasoning behind pursuing MH was they wanted more "core" games for their growing base.

The "so it's easy to port to PSP" line is pure speculation that's not really supported by anything concrete or known. The truth is, Nintendo went out of their way for MH3 and market forces likely helped them in securing it.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
jarrod said:
Actually they did... Iwata even admitted the reasoning behind pursuing MH was they wanted more "core" games for their growing base.

The "so it's easy to port to PSP" line is pure speculation that's not really supported by anything concrete or known. The truth is, Nintendo went out of their way for MH3 and market forces likely helped them in securing it.

So, how do you explain that many PSP and PS2 games released are also coming to the Wii?

I'll tell you. Porting to the Wii from PS2 is the same as porting to the Gamecube from the PS2.
And porting from the PS2 to PSP, is a really easy process, a thing you can tell from the many ports that are on the PSP from games that were on PS2.
By association making a game simultaneously for Wii and PSP is very easy, because most developers have those tools, because the process is mainly the same they did last generation.
Further proof is found in the fact that many PSP games end on the Wii and many Wii games get ported to the PSP. This doesn't happen between the PSP and any other next gen console.
QED.

But you are right, because I forgot the Nintendo megaton announcement when saying MH was a Wii exclusive. In any case I do believe that the ease to make a game simultaneously for Wii and PSP was the thing that ultimately triggered the decision to make it for the Wii instead of PS3.

Capcom makes one game, sells two.

battleMAUS said:
Im pretty confident a silver PS3 already launched together with Yakuza 3 - without a huge impact on sales.

Hammer24

Banned
Vinnk said:
More than that. How many bundles are they making? The MGS fanbase in Japan is not huge, but it is very devoted. They will snap these bundles up.

So what are you expecting, from your experience?
I just can´t make up my mind. On one side, MGS has never been that big in Japan, and the PS3 is anaemic - but on the other hand there is this hardcore fanbase.

manueldelalas said:
So, how do you explain that many PSP and PS2 games released are also coming to the Wii?

I'll tell you. Porting to the Wii from PS2 is the same as porting to the Gamecube from the PS2.
And porting from the PS2 to PSP, is a really easy process, a thing you can tell from the many ports that are on the PSP from games that were on PS2.
By association making a game simultaneously for Wii and PSP is very easy, because most developers have those tools, because the process is mainly the same they did last generation.
Further proof is found in the fact that many PSP games end on the Wii and many Wii games get ported to the PSP. This doesn't happen between the PSP and any other next gen console.
QED.

But you are right, because I forgot the Nintendo megaton announcement when saying MH was a Wii exclusive. In any case I do believe that the ease to make a game simultaneously for Wii and PSP was the thing that ultimately triggered the decision to make it for the Wii instead of PS3.

Capcom makes one game, sells two.

I've seen many a shovelware ported from the PSP to the Wii, but rarely have I seen a game developed on the Wii first(or was exclusive) ported to the PSP, which I suspect is a result of marketforces.

It is far easier to port an existing shovelware game from an almost dead platform(hardware and software, worldwide and before PSP hardware got revived in Japan) to a successful console that blindsided you than vice versa. Publishers have not been very kind to the PSP lately when it comes to multiplatform releases.

But who knows, this is Monster Hunter after all. A series that defined the PSP(and Capcom's current cashcow) in Japan so it probably is one of those rare exceptions.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Vinnk said:
More than that. How many bundles are they making?
IIRC I read somewhere it's 100k - though that sounds quite a bit higher then what I remember of Gundam/Yakuza bundles which were 10k afaik.

The new redesign helped too and that has had a much longer bump than anyone expected.
I suspect the popular accessories like TV add-on helped too. On that note I am curious to see what that key/touch-pad accessory will be like when it's finally released (supposedly this year). If done right - it COULD serve to promote gaming side of the system further - but for all I know it could be near useless or too clunky even for non-gaming use.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
titiklabingapat said:
I've seen many a shovelware ported from the PSP to the Wii, but rarely have I seen a game developed on the Wii first(or was exclusive) ported to the PSP, which I suspect is a result of marketforces.

It is far easier to port an existing shovelware game from an almost dead platform(hardware and software, worldwide and before PSP hardware got revived in Japan) to a successful console that blindsided you than vice versa. Publishers have not been very kind to the PSP lately when it comes to multiplatform releases.

But who knows, this is Monster Hunter after all. A series that defined the PSP(and Capcom's current cashcow) in Japan so it probably is one of those rare exceptions.

Well, most 3rd parties put only shovelware on the Wii...

But the case of MH is different, because the game is being developed on the two consoles simultaneously. So it is not a port. And yes, there have been many games made simultaneously (God, I hate to write that word...) for the Wii and PSP.

Top Bottom