• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
This is one hell of a thread, for a hell of a game - excellent job Aladuf and m0dus!

Can't believe it's only two weeks away now - so close yet so far!

Wes said:
5mg50m.gif

:lol

Right-click, save as!

fourzerotwo said:
Epic thread (no pun intended). My hype train is in full force, just scored (as in minutes ago) my very own Gears of War 2 cog tag:

2970595152_ccf476d6e6.jpg

Can't wait. It unlocked a wallpaper from the new trailer (when they're in the pod), I'll post it on my flickr for all to use.

Update: Here it is - http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/2969817383_59d788f85a_o.jpg

So awesome...

Got my Cole and Sniper Locust figures some months back, but I had no idea that they made larger ones like that Marcus holding the tag - Mario holding the Lancer and smiling is a nice touch... :lol

And thanks for the wallpaper! My new laptop is now complete with it! :D

I just realized I'll be out of the country on vacation when Gears 2 releases! FUCK!!!!!! Man, I have shitty vacation planning skills. :lol

GhaleonEB

Awesome OP. Both of them. :lol

I'm just now getting into Fable II, and will go into Gears 2 pretty blind - which should make for a fun play through. I'll be doing co-op and the co-op Horde mode, skipping the MP (hated Gears 1 MP). Should be great.

DoomGyver

Well I have bad news, people who are already playing Gears 2 online have once again found out how to do the "Weapon slide" glitch. It's a different combo of buttons now, and I won't say what it is.

EPIC, Fix it, NOW.

Full Recovery said:
Well I have bad news, people who are already playing Gears 2 online have once again found out how to do the "Weapon slide" glitch. It's a different combo of buttons now, and I won't say what it is.

EPIC, Fix it, NOW.

*sigh*

Nothing to be done about it until its patched. I'll take a look at how accepting the community is of the glitch and if it becomes overused then I'll adapt and probably make use of it myself.

Pretty disappointing... :(

DoomGyver

Dark FaZe said:
*sigh*

Nothing to be done about it until its patched. I'll take a look at how accepting the community is of the glitch and if it becomes overused then I'll adapt and probably make use of it myself.

Pretty disappointing... :(

Oh it will be overused, just give it a couple weeks after launch. It appears that you don't even have to slide into cover anymore, you can slide in any direction you want sans cover.

Anything less than a day 1 patch to fix this and reset the leaderboards is Epic fail.

JimiNutz

Banned
Holy shit awesome fucking thread man!
Finally got my 360 back from MS a couple of days ago which is a relief. Blasting through Dead Space at the mo but once I'm finished will be playing nothing but Gears in preparation.

Full Recovery said:

EPIC, Fix it, NOW.

Pardon my ignorance, but I never went online with Gears 1, so what exactly is "Weapon Slide"

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I know GAF and a lot of the rest of the internet likes to hate on Gears 1 multiplayer, but it was my go-to game for well over a year, and the first few weeks it was out, as my buds and I got used to the unconventional (at the time) camera & controls and weapons... it's among my most memorable and most fun multiplayer gaming memories of all time.

CAN NOT WAIT.

Arnie

Great thread Aladuf, Modus's artwork is amazing.

Not long to go now, can't wait. Im with Full Recovery, I hope they get the weapon slide fixed, that was a particularly infuriating glitch in Gears 1. Never the less Gears 2 will be my personal GOTY.

The View are on Fire!!!!

Aladuf

Banned
Am I the only one who heard about weapon slide being back and wasn't disappointed to hear so? That is useful as hell to do when you have some chumps who like to camp with their sniper or whatever just waiting to pop your head off because they got to their weapon first. It happens on Canals always now and I have been thinking for a while that it'll happen on River just as much due to how each house where snipe/torque is set up across from each other.

Dax01 said:
Is that tied to any specific difficulty?
I'm not sure but I doubt it.

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
I'm guessing they played on Hardcore.
Actually, my guess would be that they probably played on Casual. Some reviewers who might not have too much time to play a game would probably not go for anything that could be too difficult. I have no idea really but that's my guess.

Aladuf said:
Actually, my guess would be that they probably played on Casual. Some reviewers who might not have too much time to play a game would probably not go for anything that could be too difficult. I have no idea really but that's my guess.
True. I was just guessing by all those previews of Horde where the press kept saying how they played on Hardcore or what not.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Solo said:
GOTY 2008, barring an "epic" letdown.
If LBP wasnt coming out. Will definitely be the best 360 game though.

I dont think they can justify giving gears game of the year. The market is saturated with shooters and something as original as lbp with the sharing feature and creation is pretty much a shoe in for goty. No matter how good gears is its still a shooter. It may be polished as hell but its still a shooter.
No matter what still picking up gears 2 day one.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Chinner said:
this post is embarassing to read.
The beauty of only having 1 console. Unless you have a PS3 then this isn't worth the talk.

Let's not derail the thread with argument though.

Hellraizer said:
LBP defense force in a Gears thread, huh? While yes, both games have so much in common. ;)
I think both games have a passionate following. It only bothers me when people who have only 1 console start claiming GOTY.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hellraizer said:
LBP defense force in a Gears thread, huh? While yes, both games have so much in common. ;)

It was just a comment on his goty assumption. Like I said gears 2 day one!!!! I got time to bust some heads too but like I said lbp is truly original. This is a great successor to gears 1 and will win many awards its just not bringing something new on to the table. I am no lbp defense force and I have all current gen consoles so no hidden agenda here.

MThanded said:
If LBP wasnt coming out. Will definitely be the best 360 game though.

I dont think they can justify giving gears game of the year. The market is saturated with shooters and something as original as lbp with the sharing feature and creation is pretty much a shoe in for goty. No matter how good gears is its still a shooter. It may be polished as hell but its still a shooter.
No matter what still picking up gears 2 day one.
LiquidMetal14 said:
Not played LBP yet? MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHA :D

lawls

h3ro

Great work Aladuf and m0dus! Lets keep LBP out of this thread, we all know that my disco skeleton SackBoy could kick Marcus' ass... :p

I ordered my copies online, but I really want the Gold Hammerburst... hmm what to do?

MThanded said:
It was just a comment on his goty assumption. Like I said gears 2 day one!!!!
Well every official thread for a big game has a good amount of "GOTY" posts, that doesn't make it a fact, it's just an opinion. ;)

IMO, there is no need to argue about it. (think of the derail potential ;) )

Aladuf

Banned
h3ro said:
Great work Aladuf and m0dus!

I ordered my copies online, but I really want the Gold Hammerburst... hmm what to do?
Cancel those damn online preorders and get your ass to Gamestop at midnight. :D

Arnie

RockmanWhore said:
Wow, GoW1's character design was already pretty shitty, but Epic have outdone itself this time :lol
No it isn't.

I can appreciate the LBP posts, however just because the idea is new and exciting, I don't think the gameplay experience for me will top Gears 2. After the levels have been created and shared, the experience itself is still the same. Its a platformer, a genre of which I am not a great fan of on home consoles. Plus I find the jumping slightly inprecise. Still an amazing achievment and a valid GOTY for some people.

Like Aladuf says I can see the usefulness of the weapon slide on maps such as Canals and River, but I still think that picking up a power weapon should be a risk. The amount of times I have tried to defend the sniper on War Machine but an enemy has flown in and weapon slid it, it can be extremely irritating. I do hope eventually Epic fixes it.

In terms of maps, I am eager to play on Hail. The centre cover point looks like it could hold some really great moments, plus we havn't seen a great deal of footage from that map yet.
h3ro said:
ordered my copies online, but I really want the Gold Hammerburst... hmm what to do?
I am going to attempt to grab a few extra codes for GAF distribution when I attend my local midnight launch. Although this is my intention so it is not necessarily concrete yet. So if you don't want to cancel your pre-orders, come on this thread on the 7th and I may have some codes...

Aladuf

Banned
Hellraizer said:
Well every official thread for a big game has a good amount of "GOTY" posts, that doesn't make it a fact, it's just an opinion. ;)

IMO, there is no need to argue about it. (think of the derail potential ;) )
Exactly, every game that has a big following will be saying "GOTY" all over the place. I'm not going to go into any thread where people have said that and start arguing against them because I think my game is better for whatever reason.

Personally Gears 2 is going to be my GOTY, I've played Gears 1 nonstop since December 2006 and now this one will take me to whenever Gears 3 comes out. That's not to say that other games this year haven't been great or won't be great but they won't offer to me what Gears will. Plenty of other games I've played this year have GOTY potential, stuff like Burnout Paradise, MGS4, and once I get my hands on it today LBP are right at the top.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I can't believe it was two years ago when I was giving the tremendous opportunity to go down to Chapel Hill and see Gears 1 before launch and meet many of the very creative people from Epic. I remember driving home in the early morning hours and calling friends and sharing how I just saw what could possibly be the best game of this generation. If possible, I think I would have quit my job and gone to Epic and begged for a job. I was truly impressed with the professionalism and creative synergy that was very apparent among the dev team.

Fast forward to today and I am getting that same feeling all over again. Seeing the developer interviews and snippets of video have pretty much sent me into mega-hyped mode. But more than anything, I simply cannot wait to play co-op and multiplayer with the many GAFfers that took part in the Wednesday night bloodtacular sessions. In addition, I see many new names on this board who clearly have embraced the Gears universe, and with the mega-creative skills of Modus, this thread is a testament to what Gears inspires in all of us cogheads. To put it simply, I am ready. See you all online soon. Get the caffeine drips ready!

DenogginizerOS said:
Fast forward to today and I am getting that same feeling all over again. Seeing the developer interviews and snippets of video have pretty much sent me into mega-hyped mode.
This. Those VidDocs are pieced together extremely well. Hearing and seeing how much the devs care about their game and universe makes me appreciate the Gears franchise even more.

Tieno

More than anything I'm looking forward to Horde. Maybe I'll prefer it over regular MP, cause I love co-op. If the featureset is there Gears 2 might become my favorite MP game.
LiquidMetal14 said:
The beauty of only having 1 console. Unless you have a PS3 then this isn't worth the talk.

I think both games have a passionate following. It only bothers me when people who have only 1 console start claiming GOTY.
Ok, I'll say it "GOW2 GOTY" Now what are you going to do?

h3ro

Is it too early for a thread in the Online Thread area? I need to add some GAFers to my new gamertag... :D

I am going to attempt to grab a few extra codes for GAF distribution when I attend my local midnight launch. Although this is my intention so it is not necessarily concrete yet. So if you don't want to cancel your pre-orders, come on this thread on the 7th and I may have some codes...

Thanks, that would be awesome! Don't forget me! :D

Aladuf

Banned
h3ro said:
Is it too early for a thread in the Online Thread area? I need to add some GAFers to my new gamertag... :D
It might be a bit too early idk (and I'm sure as hell not making another thread), but if you want to add some of us who normally play together then check out the thread I have in the Online forum for our nightly Gears 1 matches. That's a good amount of the guys in there. If their GT's aren't listed then you can just PM me for them or of course you can PM them.

edit: beaten by the former Junior D:

WrikaWrek

Banned
RockmanWhore said:
Wow, GoW1's character design was already pretty shitty, but Epic have outdone itself this time :lol

Character Design in GOW is amazing, and in GOW2 it's even more amazing. But yeah, opinions and all that shit, but nevermind the fact that the grand majority of gamers and devs share the opinion, so i'm just gonna say you have shitty taste.

And yeah, PS3 fanboys bringing the LBP shit into a GOW2 thread, disgusting. It's Uncharted all over again.

Chinner

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:

Don't try to pin this on me. You were the one trying to start a shit flinging contest. I suggest you leave the thread untill you've matured abit.

Top Bottom