• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peggle Dual Shot (Peggle+Peggle Nights+Q Entmt+GameBoy Features)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gotta post the 1UP review frmo GAF's very own David Ellis:

The best thing I can say about this version of Peggle is that, despite having played through both PC versions, the basic experience is still addictive. The premise may be simple, but I found myself replaying levels over and over again to see how high I could get my score. Throw in the challenge mode (with objectives like getting a certain score with limited shots), and my OCD nature found a state of Zen. It may be a bit on the pricey side for some (almost $30), but for a game that has at least 20 hours of content it?s absolutely worth it.
GRADE A
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3173058&p=39

soldat7

8bit said:
Shoulder buttons seem to be the best control method after 15 minutes. The stylus control is wretched.

The controls are fantastic IMO. I use the stylus to line up a shot and tap the shoulder buttons for fine tuning.

My only complaint is that Nights is not available from the beginning.

Just picked this up at Costco for $23. There is so much content in this game, it is mindblowing. Anyone who wants Peggle on the go NEEDS to pick this up.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
McBacon said:
popcap_games@GothOmega Peggle for Xbox360 is set to release 3/31 and for XBLA not long after!
Was one of those supposed to read 'PSN' or is there going to be both a retail and XBLA version?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Mutagenic said:
Was one of those supposed to read 'PSN' or is there going to be both a retail and XBLA version?

I'm not sure...... I think there is a Popcap collection coming to 360 retail that has Peggle.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
plus "soon after" means jack for a game that's been coming out "soon" for a year now. i hope croal was right and this is wrong but yeah

jmoe316

That Xbox disc release and XBLA release makes no sense at all. If the retail disc is coming March 31, the games are probably finished and close to manufacturing. If that's the case, why not stick it on XBLA. Why sit on a finished game? Maybe on purpose to try to get sales of the disc collection?

Gazunta

I'm going to the states next week and want to pick up a copy or three while I'm there. Is it a commonly available game? Is it available only in one type of store?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
billy.sea said:
I really hate the art of the Peggle series. They look really really..... (can't come up with a word to describe it)
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST I hope you're kidding. Peggle is one of the few game series' whose art literally elevates it. I thought I made this point pretty clearly in the OP but I guess it's too much to ask that people read that. Maybe bald space marines are more your thing?

Sorry if I sound pissed but there was some other fool on GAF spouting this nonsense a while ago without any backup whatsoever and it just REALLY got on my nerves.

I'm going to the states next week and want to pick up a copy or three while I'm there. Is it a commonly available game? Is it available only in one type of store?
Pretty much available everywhere I believe--GameStop etc.

I've been getting my feet wet with flash versions until I can play my DS version on the DSi. The first time I got a Long Shot, it felt real nice. I can see where the strategy comes into play.

AstroLad said:
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST I hope you're kidding. Peggle is one of the few game series' whose art literally elevates it. I thought I made this point pretty clearly in the OP but I guess it's too much to ask that people read that. Maybe bald space marines are more your thing?

Sorry if I sound pissed but there was some other fool on GAF spouting this nonsense a while ago without any backup whatsoever and it just REALLY got on my nerves.
When someone released their own version of Peggle on the iTunes App Store, and it has a generic space background or something, I realized how much I love the background art.

Can't wait for my copy to arrive!

mjc

Has anyone ever gotten motion sickness from this game? Everytime I played it on my PC I felt sick to my stomach afterwords for a few hours, and it sucks because I love playing it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DevelopmentArrested said:
are peggle nights and the bonus levels unlocked from the start?
No, you unlock the Q levels by getting points throughout the game and certain achievements and you unlock Nights after beating the Adventure mode in Peggle.

AstroLad said:
No, you unlock the Q levels by getting points throughout the game and certain achievements and you unlock Nights after beating the Adventure mode in Peggle.

shiiiiit i dont wanna play adventure mode again.
thanks astrolad

Kunan

Is it just me or are the sound effects decently compressed and sound kinda hollow? My Lite has taken a beating lately, so it could be the problem, but it's kind of annoying that the "plunk" of the ball hitting a peg and ode to joy are so heavily compressed, as they basically are the crack behind peggle for me.

Zoc

Hmm, fun enough, but I'm not really seeing why this is such a massive, massive success. Relies too much on chance for my tastes.

Zoc

Petrie said:
You're not playing it right. You can pass levels on chance, but you won't rack up those high scores that way.

Hmm. What opportunities to apply strategy am I missing? The order to take out the orange pegs, and trying to plan ricochets were all I really saw.

krae_man

The new gold peg thing is causing me to try and hit the purple peg on every shot. This may bite me in the ass later on in the game:lol

I dont like the lack of control over the ball in the bonus game. Its kind of in a middle ground between total control like a pinball machine and the zero control you have once in peggle once you shoot the ball.

I don't like that middle ground. I want flippers down there.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
krae_man said:
The new gold peg thing is causing me to try and hit the purple peg on every shot. This may bite me in the ass later on in the game:lol

I dont like the lack of control over the ball in the bonus game. Its kind of in a middle ground between total control like a pinball machine and the zero control you have once in peggle once you shoot the ball.

Totally agreed on the bonus game. Also some levels are WAY easier than others, where you could basically just keep going forever.

shpankey

not an idiot
krae_man said:

isn't there a bonus where you can get flippers? from the crab dude?

soldat7 said:
The controls are fantastic IMO. I use the stylus to line up a shot and tap the shoulder buttons for fine tuning.

My only complaint is that Nights is not available from the beginning.

True and true again......

I just finished Peggle now onto Nights mode

quick question for Peggle vets....

Say if I have 8 shots left and I have 1 orange peg left....assume I have no chance at 100% clearing the screen

Is it better to save those shots and just wipe out the last peg? Or keep nailing the purple peg and try to get to the Underground?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Zoc said:
Hmm. What opportunities to apply strategy am I missing? The order to take out the orange pegs, and trying to plan ricochets were all I really saw.

Plenty of people out there can get 500k+ shots (all the way up to 13+ million point shots on 11-5), finish levels in 3 or fewer balls, get 25+ million on adventure mode, finish the challenges, clear all the pegs in every level--if you can't do that, then you're obviously missing something they aren't. No one can win at slots all the time, but plenty of people can win at Peggle all the time.

My only advice would be to try the XBLA version online and if you find yourself getting your ass kicked on a regular basis, you know it's not luck ;)

The order to take out the orange pegs, when to get green pegs, trying to plan ricochets, timing for free balls, and trying to get long bounce and other style points are the name of the game. But the depth isn't in the number of things you can do, it's in the number of ways you can do them.

MikeE21286 said:
Is it better to save those shots and just wipe out the last peg? Or keep nailing the purple peg and try to get to the Underground?

Each reserve ball is worth 10,000 points. If your shot can get at least 10,000 points (purple is worth 5k with max fever multiplier) then it's worth using. If you can get a free ball reliably then it's almost certainly worth it (say if you go purple peg -> free ball -> purple peg -> no free ball, you've hit 10k in "one ball" right there).

I'd also never say never in terms of being able to clear the screen! You never know what you might be able to pull off!

Stumpokapow said:
Each reserve ball is worth 10,000 points. If your shot can get at least 10,000 points (purple is worth 5k with max fever multiplier) then it's worth using. If you can get a free ball reliably then it's almost certainly worth it (say if you go purple peg -> free ball -> purple peg -> no free ball, you've hit 10k in "one ball" right there).

I'd also never say never in terms of being able to clear the screen! You never know what you might be able to pull off!

Ok, thanks for this info.....I was never really sure how much those extra reserve balls I kept were worth

i bought this weeks ago and it is still in the plastic.

why? because i am flying from here on the East coast to Japan next month. Peggle DS is my sedative for the flight.

Proof that this game rules: when you get the pyramid on Cat Tut's stages, Splork shows up on the second screen in the background to "help out." Awesome.

I never understood teh allure of Peggle until i got it for the DS. I thought it would be a relaxing game, so i played it after i went to bed. 2 hrs later, I was still playing, trying to complete the 10th stage.

This is electronic crack, pure and simple.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm half way through Nights right now and I consider handheld the only way to play Peggle now.

Although, What does "GameBoy" content mean? I read the OP and it didn't really explain, is there a GameBoy graphics mode? That'd be sweet.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah I was looking at the (completely reliable) Amazon charts a while back and it didn't look like this was selling that well, which is a damn shame. Ah well, at least the XBLA version is raking it in.

Jswanko

AstroLad said:
Yeah I was looking at the (completely reliable) Amazon charts a while back and it didn't look like this was selling that well, which is a damn shame. Ah well, at least the XBLA version is raking it in.

So i should only buy the XBLA version if i have friends that have it right? I have Peggle for Computer, Ipod, and DS already...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Duel and Peg Party are quite fun, yes, as are leaderboards. I'm the crazy type who also doesn't mind playing through the challenges a fourth time.

Deft Beck

sykoex said:
I'm half way through Nights right now and I consider handheld the only way to play Peggle now.

Although, What does "GameBoy" content mean? I read the OP and it didn't really explain, is there a GameBoy graphics mode? That'd be sweet.

just AstroLad trolling

Bumping this because it looks like the game will stick around at the $20 price point since it's in the GameStop email for the weekend. Then again who knows.

Beergut

Just heard from my EB that the game has been discontinued.
If you can track it down, buy it now -- while you still can.
Wonderful game!

Top Bottom