• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakaguchi tweets on The Last Story (30 hr game, team PvP, New Game+)

Shiggy

Bisnic said:
Stop making Last Story threads when there is little chances it will be released outside Japan!

It hurts our western hearts.

You should be more optimistic. Nintendo has not announced any games for their next business year yet.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
zerokoolpsx said:
Subtitles only? Some people would be turned off reading all that text.

I think this is one of the biggest disconnects I have with "modern" gamers. Too much text? Its like how did gamers live before voice acting!

Ricker said:
I saw a quick like 10 second video yesterday and it looked exactly like Vindictus hehe...keeping fingers crossed on this one for an eventual N.A. release...

Yeah, there's a little bit of Vindictus vibe going on with this game.

Path of Radiance has like four voiced lines in the whole game, and they're hardly terrible on the level of anything that would stand up as a classically bad dub. It is somewhere between foolish and disingenuous to use that as a starting point for what a Nintendo localization of TLS would look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxtrJtmhWRQ&feature=related

Yeah, I know this is Radiant Dawn, but it's still Fire Emblem and it does have much more dialog compare to POR. Just watch it and cringe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuI5d2-eFLE

Look, the death of Ike mother was so traumatizing that it made his balls drop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPyU82sOluM&feature=related

ivysaur12

Banned
The fact that it's almost 2011 and we're nervous about a major Nintendo release not getting localized is extremely disappointing. That was somewhat acceptable with the SNES, not now.

.la1n

BlueTsunami said:
I think this is one of the biggest disconnects I have with "modern" gamers. Too much text? Its like how did gamers live before voice acting!

Going by this standard why did we ever create cars that had better gas mileage. Why bother upgrading from caves & shacks to modern houses. Let's just all be content with the lowest common denominator. Hooray.

Please keep in mind I have been gaming since the Atari and do understand where you are coming from to an extent, it's just that by continuing that line of thinking then nothing would ever evolve because we would all sit around content with mediocrity.

ymmv

Banned
RpgN said:
You guys have such an apologist attitude towards Nintendo. They're not a small company, if Atlus, SE and the rest can do it, why shouldn't they? They're starting to sound like Namco, just not release it because, and the fans expect that now anyways. 12000 lines should hurt, like really? You're making it so easy on them to go ahead with not releasing it.

Battered spouse syndrome.

Cow Mengde said:
Yeah, I know this is Radiant Dawn

I just saw the whole of this game a month ago, thanks. Radiant Dawn is different in that it has like twelve lines of voiced dialogue instead of four. :p My point remains that it's irrelevant as a comparison point for how a Nintendo game with actual voice acting will be localized.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
.la1n said:
Going by this standard why did we ever create cars that had better gas mileage. Why bother upgrading from caves & shacks to modern houses. Let's just all be content with the lowest common denominator. Hooray.

Please keep in mind I have been gaming since the Atari and do understand where you are coming from to an extent, it's just that by continuing that line of thinking then nothing would ever evolve because we would all sit around content with mediocrity.

Thing is, I'm not saying voice acting is bad but given the choice between a game that requires subtitles to be localized or no game at all, the choice is clear.

Boney

Banned
charlequin said:
I just saw the whole of this game a month ago, thanks. Radiant Dawn is different in that it has like twelve lines of voiced dialogue instead of four. :p My point remains that it's irrelevant as a comparison point for how a Nintendo game with actual voice acting will be localized.
Is there a good track record regarding voice actors with Nintendo though?

Apart from Star Fox (64) maybe...

pvpness

I learned from this thread that you can link reading with the lowest common denominator. Crazy.

I don't care if they sub it. Don't care if they put terrible voice acting in it. I just want it. Bring it to me Nintendo!

Boney said:
Is there a good track record regarding voice actors with Nintendo though?

Literally the only RPG with a meaningful quantity of voice acting that Nintendo has ever published in the US was Baten Kaitos Origins, which was localized by 8-4 and has one of the best localizations (both text and voice) literally ever. Given that Nintendo has increasingly leaned on 8-4 for their RPG localizations rather than handling them in-house (Glory of Heracles, recent Fire Emblems) having them handle TLS (if it were brought over) would be a fairly obvious choice.

Wazzim

Banned
Fuck them if it doesn't get localized, Sakaguchi is awesome and so are his games.
Like someone said, just do it like Yakuza 3, quick, cheap and efficient.

Boney

Banned
charlequin said:
Literally the only RPG with a meaningful quantity of voice acting that Nintendo has ever published in the US was Baten Kaitos Origins, which was localized by 8-4 and has one of the best localizations (both text and voice) literally ever. Given that Nintendo has increasingly leaned on 8-4 for their RPG localizations rather than handling them in-house (Glory of Heracles, recent Fire Emblems) having them handle TLS (if it were brought over) would be a fairly obvious choice.
I see, just yesterday I was talking how I haven't played Origins.

PSGames

Does anyone have any estimates of how much it would cost to localize a game like this? I mean it couldn't cost that much to hire a few translators right? And they would surely make it back from the sales of the game.

Im pretty sure the Last Story will get worldwide release.

BTW Nintendo only (usually) dubs in other european laguages, when the voices cant be tranlated with subtitles and they are needed to play the game.

An example is Rythm Heaven.

Kurtofan said:
Why wouldn't they?
They hire a team by country, like other developpers do.
They can leave it in English , but it will bomb.

WRPGs like Bioware's are translated and dubbed in all languages,if Nintendo wanted they could translate everything.

Not in spanish, because if they do, they would need to make another one for latin american spanish.
Yeah....
fuck them.
Theres even italian voices, for fucks sake.

Nintendo is so cheap. If they really can't localize their games, its a bit ridiculous. How the hell does Atlus do it. Persona dosen't sell amazing, but they still localize all that dialogue. I'm sure Nintendo with all it's resources could find away to do it and still be profitable. That of course depends on the game actually being decent.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Bel Marduk said:
I don't remember Baten Kaitos Origins being translated badly.

That's b/c it was done by 8-4 not Nintendo.

30 hours of gameplay sounds AWESOME. Perfect length for an RPG, too much of the genre is filled with such bloat nowadays.

leroidys

The absolute lack of games for wii in '11 (that we know of at least) gives me more hope for a localization. I doubt that they're going to rely on Zelda, mario sports, and Rhythm heaven for the entire year. Who knows though.

Vinci

Danish
I hope this gets localized. Hearing the admittedly fair whines about Nintendo's shit localization record this generation is getting tiresome.

djtiesto said:
That's b/c it was done by 8-4 not Nintendo.

30 hours of gameplay sounds AWESOME. Perfect length for an RPG, too much of the genre is filled with such bloat nowadays.

Like charlequin said, 8-4 would definitely be a good contender for outsourcing the localization.

Pyrokai

I am prepared to never be able to play this game. It hurts, but it's more likely than this game coming outside of Japan.

I can't believe the quality of nintendo's localizations has come under question in this thread. Their localizations as a whole are second to none. True, the Fire Emblem games were a sloppy exception, but like already said, the "story" and dialogue in those games are such an afterthought to begin with. Also, they were (are) a series that nintendo has really had no faith in to sell in NA. I'm not surprised that little effort was put into the localization. But, speaking about voice acting specifically, the only NOA published game (localized) I can think of with a meaningful amount is Baten Kaitos Origins, which was amazing. I don't question the quality of the localizations, now their decisions on what to localize and when on the other hand....

Kurtofan

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Not in spanish, because if they do, they would need to make another one for latin american spanish.
Yeah....
fuck them.
Theres even italian voices, for fucks sake.
I'm glad Quebec is relatively small.
But yeah Italian but no Spanish is kind of wtf? (even if I like the Italian language)

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So Demon Souls was made by From but it was a Sony property. Atlus was able to licence it to release it here and take all the risk (and I bet Sony got a little kick back too). Why can't Atlus do the same thing for Xenoblade? Its made by Monolith and sure Nintendo funded the project for Japan. Nothing to stop them from licensing it to Atlus for release here other than they want to spite their "core" fan base. Its like Earthbound, they could have released the GBA game here, or let Atlus do it, but they choose not to because if it is a moderate hit, they look like fools.

thefro

Game is now completed!
Notice: #thelaststory has been completed. The completion date is not exactly today...but it has been finished. (H. Sakaguchi)

Gooch tweeted on his Japanese account that the game has been in development for 3 1/2 years and it has been nearly 4 years since they came up with the concept.

Amir0x

Banned

Boney

Banned
thefro said:
Game is now completed!

Gooch tweeted on his Japanese account that the game has been in development for 3 1/2 years and it has been nearly 4 years since they came up with the concept.
Sweet Jesus.

I wonder how this ended up being on Wii though.

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
Wii fans better pull through and save Mistwalker from extinction
:lol

There's a better chance of me winning the lottery and save them directly. And I don't play the lottery.

Amir0x

Banned
Boney said:
:lol

There's a better chance of me winning the lottery and save them directly. And I don't play the lottery.

i know. i actually don't have a dog in that fight... Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were both kinda bad. it's just finally it seems in Last Story they have something interesting and decent but at this point they are just not possibly going to survive much longer with all the bombs :lol

PSGames

Well Nintendo funded the development so Mistwalker is already paid. It's up to Nintendo if this becomes a hit or not with a decent marketing campaign.

Amir0x

Banned
PSGames said:
Well Nintendo funded the development so Mistwalker is already paid. It's up to Nintendo if this becomes a hit or not with a decent marketing campaign.

seems they're marketing the shit out of this in Japan

Kifimbo

Well, Nintendo trademarked The Last Story in NA and Europe, so at some point they were seriously thinking of bringing the game outside of Japan.

Amir0x

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:
SUBS ARE FINE JUST BRING IT OVER.

Sakaguchi: "I think Last Story specifically has a lot of appeal for Western Audiences too. There is a compelling online mode, for example."

Miyamoto: "Yes, yes... online modes are fun."

Sakaguchi: "So when we developed the game we clearly had all audiences in mind, regardless of the territory."

Iwata: "yes, it was very smart to do that."

Sakaguchi: "Incidentally, I meant to ask when we are going to do that."

Miyamoto: (laughs)

Iwata: (laughs)

Boney

Banned
Well if Nintendo were smart, they'd realise that Last Story is gonna bomb not because of the game itself, but because there's no audience there for it, and quickly secure another contract for 3DS or Wii2. Sony could do this too.

I'm just crossing my fingers now.

PSGames

Yeah launching a new IP at the end of a console generation is never a good idea. This should have been a launch title for 3DS.

Amir0x

Banned
PSGames said:
Yeah launching a new IP at the end of a console generation is never a good idea. This should have been a launch title for 3DS.

it's not the end of the console generation

Top Bottom