• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is Lost worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I recently decided to re-watch it also. I'm on the fifth season and find it to be enjoyable albeit very flawed entertainment.

The journey is better than the destination. The entire experience of watching it is fantastic and loads of fun, but the end of it all was so bad.

Even if it ended poorly, that does not negate how great it was for so long.

Don't be silly, this is GAF. On GAF, an entire film that was amazing for 120 minutes becomes fucking putrid and unwatchable if the last five minutes don't deliver. An entire career of hits becomes middling if your last entry is lacklustre.

Browsing around Netflix I saw Lost. Its 120 episodes long and since I am bored I started watching it. Barely 10 minutes into the very first episode. I like to commit myself to series and I don't want to waste time in a shitty series; I've heard a lot about it but have no idea if its good, bad, until what season should I watch, etc. Enlighten me GAF

PS: Arrested Development is fantastic. :p

Seasons 1 is great.
Season 2 clearly has growing pains and is really where the shows faults cement themselves in for the long haul.
Season 3 starts out like shit but gets good in the middle and fantastic at the end.
Seasons 4 and 5 are where the show becomes itself.
Season 6 makes no sense.

iJQpLhSwOqX2x.gif

Don't be silly, this is GAF. On GAF, an entire film that was amazing for 120 minutes becomes fucking putrid and unwatchable if the last five minutes don't deliver. An entire career of hits becomes middling if your last entry is lacklustre.

True. Just look at Sam Raimi.

Also, dont forget that once you achieve enormous critical and commercial success (especially commercial success) you are immediately a hack and all that you do and all that you have done (no matter how much it was loved before) is immediately garbage.

I shudder to think of the backlash Joss Whedon will receive from the internet if he finally achieves massive commercial success with an original project. (tries to contain laughter at the thought of him achieving massive commercial success with an original idea.)

Great gif, or greatest gif?

how does season 6 not make sense? I can't get where people (some) get lost at. I'd say watch it, but what i would really tell you is not to listen to anyone's opinions and watch for yourself.

WillyFive

how does season 6 not make sense? I can't get where people (some) get lost at. I'd say watch it, but what i would really tell you is not to listen to anyone's opinions and watch for yourself.

The show asks a lot of it's audience to keep up with stuff, it's not really for everyone.

JGS

Banned
It's definitely worth it. Best finale ever too.

It's better now because you don't have to suffer through half seasons and can wipe it all out.

If the episode seems like it's going to suck, it probably is. These are few and far between though.

Would list it as one of my top 3 television shows of all time. It had some issues later on towards the end, but I am really glad I saw the whole thing. Great characters and lots of WTF moments. Just watch it...and steer away from spoilers.

Hansel

Banned
Nope.

I would rather watch every episode of Saved by the Bell, Saved by the Bell: The College Years, and Saved by the Bell: The New Class then ever have to watch another episode of Lost.

Edit: Oh, and "Good Morning, Miss Bliss" (whatever that is)

Fall in love with the characters and their struggles. Don't get your hopes up to high about the mythology. Personally, the greatest show on television ever. Never missed an episode.

It isn't that people got lost in season 6. It is the fact that the ending was monumentally stupid and never really answered anything.

The show asks a lot of it's audience to keep up with stuff, it's not really for everyone.

And the audience did keep up with it. The writers did not. The audience had no problems staying with the story. That was part of the fun. Unfortunately, the writers dug themselves a hole so deep there was no way to satisfactorily explain so many mysteries.

.GqueB.

Banned
OP Id recommend leaving this thread. It will soon devolve into a debate about whether or not the ending was decent or not. Spoilers will be had.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I fell off the wagon after season two. I was never part of the Lost community so I missed out on that aspect of the show. I just couldn't keep up with it's formula of offering up a 10,000/1 ratio of questions to answers. It really felt like the writers didn't plan very extensively past the first season and started mad libbing the story to keep an aura of mystery going that they weren't quite sure how to solve.

OP Id recommend leaving this thread. It will soon devolve into a debate about whether or not the ending was decent or not. Spoilers will be had.

Listen to this advice! One of the reasons I enjoyed LOST so much was because I had no expectations whatsoever and had avoided any information having to do with it. The OP is lucky he doesn't have to deal with waiting weeks and months for the next episode or season. Being LTTP on this show was great in that I could watch the first 5 seasons uninterrupted.

LOST is totally worth it even if the later seasons don't stand up to the first few.

It's one hell of a ride that is so desperately trying to be emulated by new shows yet they still just don't quite have that LOST feeling; I really hope a show eventually hits that note with me again, but in order for them to do so they can't keep just plain ripping off of LOST.

how does season 6 not make sense?

Constantly changing the goalpost for the season's MacGuffin.
Just outright slaughtering characters we either just met or who are important to the shows mythology.
Not explaining Widmore or his connection to Ben (i.e. why can't they kill each other), not explaining the pregnancy junk.
Silly - if not completely moronic - motivations for characters with enough knowledge of the bad guy to switch sides.
Ben just going along with Sam Locke (MIB's name was Samuel) even after he was asked to kill Jacob and Sam Locke attacked Richard.
Jacob just going "eh".
Jacob just now appearing to everyone.
The fucking cork.
IT'S PURGATORY LOL BUT THE ISLAND ACTUALLY HAPPENED TOO

I did, however, highly enjoy the
Jacob backstory
episode.

Take into mind that I have no problem with not every mystery being solved. In fact, I'm happy that some were not. But season six was a culmination of everything bad about the show. It was them trying to go for the optimal ending that everyone would enjoy, and thus it fizzed out.

Meier

Honestly, I wouldn't bother. There are plenty of better series on there to get into. Friday Night Lights for one if you haven't watched it yet. If you want some mystery, they have all of the X-Files too.

The first season is decent, but the show falls off a cliff quality-wise after that.

The writing mostly sucks, much of the primary cast cannot act (Fox, Garcia, Lilly, Holloway), and the score is overbearing garbage throughout.

There are so many great dramas on television, why waste time with this one?

Tron 2.0

Honestly, I wouldn't bother. There are plenty of better series on there to get into. Friday Night Lights for one if you haven't watched it yet. If you want some mystery, they have all of the X-Files too.
It's interesting that you recommend X-Files. Both shows went off the rails, but I found the overall narrative of LOST more satisfying.

The beauty of X-Files is it isn't so plot driven, though.

EDIT: I think LOST is worth it. But if you're in it to learn the secrets of the island, you will be disappointed.

I think it is very much worth it.

There's not really anything else like it, and the characters are written well enough that they will make it worth watching, despite what you may feel about the rest of the show's content.

Xenon

No, It's kinda like watching Highlander and Highlander 2 back to back. Well except, Highlander lasts 25 hours and highlander 2 lasts 96 hours :\

BTW, I've always wanted to watch Alias but after Lost I'm worried about wasting my time. Is it worth watching?

Going through it for the third time myself. On season 3. Man I love this show.

Also recently finished watching it for the third time with a friend. Still liked it a lot.

BTW, I've always wanted to watch Alias but after Lost I'm worried about wasting my time. Is it worth watching?

It was a pretty decent show but I must admit I suddenly quit watching it. Was not really that great and realized there was a lot of other shows I would rather watch.

Of course it is.

It's gorgeous, it's got several top tier protagonists who help carry all six seasons, and you've got Yung Giacc doing the work of his career.

I happen to be someone who loved the finale and the final season (even if some of the island stuff in the sixth season was superfluous, it led to Sayid's best storyline).

It's probably a tarnished experience by now, though. So many people have tarred the series with their opinion of the end of the show that I can't imagine being able to go into it with an open mind now if you've never seen it before.

Tron 2.0

...BTW, I've always wanted to watch Alias but after Lost I'm worried about wasting my time. Is it worth watching?
The first 2.5 seasons of Alias are great. The show ran five seasons.

"The passenger is...your sister." The five most horrifying words uttered in relation to television right after "7th Heaven is being renewed." Nadia sucks.

It's good for a while but you will notice when the producers ran out of stuff to keep them on the island and it starts to become a terrible show. You will know when you get there.
It's when they find the other people living on the island.

VALIS

No. At least from my perspective. Everything entertaining about the show for me had to do with the mystery and mythology, and when that was revealed to be, well, let's just say not as complex or well thought out as I'd have hoped, it tarnished the entire series.

A lot of Lost's defenders say, "it's all about the characters anyway!" That's fine... for them. That's not why I watched the show or once liked it.

No. At least from my perspective. Everything entertaining about the show for me had to do with the mystery and mythology, and when that was revealed to be, well, let's just say not as complex or well thought out as I'd have hoped, it tarnished the entire series.

A lot of Lost's defenders say, "it's all about the characters anyway!" That's fine... for them. That's not why I watched the show or once liked it.

Yeah, I knew the mythology was headed to shit the first time they saw the statue's toes. I knew, at that instant, that the show would veer away from all the cool DHARMA shit and into something way lamer.

And I was a hundred percent right about anything statue related. But luckily they kept DHARMA stuff totally integral to the show all the way to the end of S5 (which I was not expecting) and, since
Juliet created the Afterlife Pocket by setting off the bomb
, half of S6 was tied to it to, of a fashion.

But yeah; Hurley, Miles, Juliet, and Sawyer were integral in me having the interest to stick around.

jett

D-Member
The show is kind of like having a profound and moving discussion with a genius professor but eventually you realize that the professor is actually just a deranged hobo who likes to ramble on and on, and the only reason you are talking to him is because you have no friends.

hahahaahah

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have 10 episodes left and I say yes. People said it got bad the last few seasons but I've loved every minute of it. I can see a bit of a quality dip between earlier and later, but it's not bad.

VALIS

Yeah, I knew the mythology was headed to shit the first time they saw the statue's toes. I knew, at that instant, that the show would veer away from all the cool DHARMA shit and into something way lamer.

And I was a hundred percent right about anything statue related. But luckily they kept DHARMA stuff totally integral to the show all the way to the end of S5 (which I was not expecting) and, since
Juliet created the Afterlife Pocket by setting off the bomb
, half of S6 was tied to it to, of a fashion.

But yeah; Hurley, Miles, Juliet, and Sawyer were integral in me having the interest to stick around.

And I should be fair and say that even though the mystery and mythology were why I watched and liked the show, there were some great moments away from that, particularly every episode that revolved around Ben and/or Locke. Those two were phenomenal all series long. The
staged suicide
episode with the two of them was outstanding.

I have 10 episodes left and I say yes. People said it got bad the last few seasons but I've loved every minute of it. I can see a bit of a quality dip between earlier and later, but it's not bad.

They were really good at injecting cool shit into 4 and 5 (Kopter Kids and DHARMAville, respectively). S6 lost a bit of that zazz, but it still has the momentum of heading for the final episode.

Xenon

It was a pretty decent show but I must admit I suddenly quit watching it. Was not really that great and realized there was a lot of other shows I would rather watch.

dead souls said:
Alias takes longer to go off the rails than Lost did, but it still gets pretty damn bad by the third season.

Tron 2.0 said:
The first 2.5 seasons of Alias are great. The show ran five seasons.

Ok, I had a feeling that was going to be the case. I have a hard time starting shows I know will end up shit or got cancled before the story was concluded.

I will agree that Lost had some great characters and did a good job with their developement early on. The problem was by the end I didn't care about any of them.

Honestly, the one giant thing you'll be missing out on is the week-to-week discussion and speculation. If you can watch this with a group of friends or family, I would highly recommend doing it so you can have some discussion.

Ok, I had a feeling that was going to be the case. I have a hard time starting shows I know will end up shit or got cancled before the story was concluded.

I will agree that Lost had some great characters and did a good job with their developement early on. The problem was by the end I didn't care about any of them.

Not even Miles??

5jrcs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom