• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome D.I.C.E 2013 Presentation

Facism

it's a sexy game but everything points to it looking proper shallow. I'm hoping that they Assassin's Creed 2 the fucker and we get a classic in 2 years in Ryse: Father of Carthage.

eshwaaz

I'm sure he knows the difference between native 1080p and upscaled 1080p. So I'm gonna go out on a limb and believe Ryse will be native 1080p.
I dunno. I'd imagine if it were 1080p he'd just say "it's full 1080p", instead of the vague phrasing he chose to use.

Raven77

Game looks pretty bad compared to the E3 build. No doubt.

Still going to get it on launch day but sad to see that they had to make such drastic cuts to the game.

RyseComparison5.jpg

abadguy

Banned
Slighty OT but Remedy's Matias Myllyrinne has a presentation at the end of that DICE presentation where he says since Quantum Break isn't a launch title they can push the visual further than what we've seen from the game so far. HHHHNNNNNGGG

Really can't wait to finally see some gameplay on that one, as for Ryse it's looking amazing. I expect no less from Crytek.

I dunno. I'd imagine if it were 1080p he'd just say "it's full 1080p", instead of the vague phrasing he chose to use.

But doesn't "Full HD" pretty much mean "1080p"?

it's a sexy game but everything points to it looking proper shallow. I'm hoping that they Assassin's Creed 2 the fucker and we get a classic in 2 years in Ryse: Father of Carthage.

With Hannibal as the main character.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Not only that, take a look at the shadows below the ear. Much much more accurate.

I like how the armor doesn't look like aluminum foil now, on the old picture I'm looking for where it says "non-stick side".

Still going to get it on launch day but sad to see that they had to make such drastic cuts to the game.

RyseComparison5.jpg

What a dumb picture.

iblrbwqLb6QbLW.gif

Looks pretty. Lighting is better. The actual game still seems meh.
Visual pet peeve remains: The eyes move, and yet still seem to look at nothing/thousand yard stare?

I'd hold my horses on taking the "full HD experience" to mean 1080p though. It sounds more like the same PR spin Greenberg was saying.

Raven77

UNCMark

Banned
I couldnt care less about 1080p vs 900p. They'd both look beautiful...until the animations kick in. There's something really wrong with how this game looks in motion.

FordGTGuy

Banned
What exactly is "dumb" about it. The lighting, to me, does look better in the new shots. But the textures and the polygon drop is most definitely noticeable.

A nice write up can be found here - http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09/28/ryse-old-and-new-builds-compared-polygons-vs-shaders/

What's dumb about that picture is that you're not directly comparing the same pictures but splicing them together, it makes for a terrible comparison.

How can you notice a texture and polygon difference on a picture from a bad stream? This point has been repeated in this thread dozens of times yet you for some reason ignore this.

ryse1_by_raziel1992-d6odjcy.gif

senorwakko

Neo Member
I am looking forward to this game... it is nice to see a developer having pride in what they are working on and not settling Most seem so content to just get the game out on time.

SPDIF

It only looks "softer" because it's video taken from a bad stream.

I know. That's why I was asking him if the only reason he thought it looked downgraded was because of the softer look. In other words, if that was his only reason, then he'd be mistaken.

So the downgraded one is also the one that looks a lot worse. Makes sense.

In what way do you think it looks downgraded? Is it as simple as softer = worse?

hawk2025

Do we know anything yet about the length of the single player, and the other environments?

We've seen City and Jungle so far, right? Do we get to explore different-looking cities during the story, maybe a desert, open seas?

Oh man, there's SO much potential for amazing settings in this game.

ref

Why are people trying to compare fairly bad quality stream images to direct feed screenshots.

Yes, the direct feed screenshots look much sharper, but I don't think there is any argument in favor of the lighting and shaders being better in the older shots.

RyseComparison5.jpg

Show the face of the new model instead, it's a night and day comparison. The old one looked like work in progress, the shaders didn't look ready at all (low res normal maps in helmet too).

Tsundere

Banned
Why are people trying to compare fairly bad quality stream images to direct feed screenshots.

Yes, the direct feed screenshots look much sharper, but I don't think there is any argument in favor of the lighting and shaders being better in the older shots.

The new versions definitely look more realistic, thanks to the tradeoff of polys for shaders. I also think going 900p gives the game that automatic little blurriness that helps cover up the aliasing and make it look "softer".

srd4484

Banned
wow. Graphics look amazing. I probably won't be getting this game but it's great knowing how good next gen is looking.

I like how people are trying to turn this negative. This isn't from a blog a kid wrote or an unnamed source. It's from the CEO himself, trying to set things straight.

ref

The new versions definitely look more realistic, thanks to the tradeoff of polys for shaders. I also think going 900p gives the game that automatic little blurriness that helps cover up the aliasing and make it look "softer".

I don't think the blur would be that bad from that downgrade.

Eurogamer did an article about the drop in resolution, and provided two Crysis 3 screenshots, one in 1080p and the other in 900p.

There is a noticeable difference in image quality, albeit honestly, fairly subtle (as well as a even more subtle blur), but it's not even close to the difference in quality from the Ryse direct feed and stream capture comparison.

Hoje0308

Banned

Wouldn't the bigger pixels actually increase jaggies? Especially if it's being upscaled to 1080?

FordGTGuy

Banned
Show the face of the new model instead, it's a night and day comparison. The old one looked like work in progress, the shaders didn't look ready at all (low res normal maps).

iYbHxIj4lM78s.png

Dude it's a video stream screen capture...

SLY_

Banned
Folks working overtime to spoil how good this game looks. Stop lying to yourselves and admit that graphically this game looks incredible.

srd4484

Banned
Folks working overtime to spoil how good this game looks. Stop lying to yourselves and admit that graphically this game looks incredible.
That ain't happening. Thread is very quiet though. Must be a sign they know there's nothing they can say at this point anymore about the game being "downgraded"

Anonumos

Banned
The amount of mental gymnastics going on in this thread just to shit on Ryse's graphics is just sad.

Shame on you. You know who you are.

Good to hear that it's looking better! Hopefully it ends up actually being fun so i can have something on my XBO other than DR3 this year.

Get that gameplay down, Crytek!

Loofy

Though we know the PS4 has more powerful hardware, your average joe is gonna think the Xbox One is stronger when they see this game.

pixlexic

Banned
ok ryse just took my vote for best looking next gen launch game.

But that is for now. I hold the right to change it once I play all the games for myself. ;)

good job crytek

LCGeek

formerly sane
Though we know the PS4 has more powerful hardware, your average joe is gonna think the Xbox One is stronger when they see this game.

As it's been said a billion times those who master the power be it art or technicals get the credit no one else. Power is uesless when you don't wield it well.

FordGTGuy

Banned
why not just say 1080p.

Would be great if the lower triangle count can bring this game to 1080p. Would be a right compromise.

Better looking shaders, better looking character models, more stuff in the environment, rain and 1080p.... best downgrade in gaming history.

Aaron Greenberg = "native 900p" but also says it runs 1080p (upscaled)
Crytek ceo = "full HD" pretty vague...

Anything upscaled to 1080p is Full HD.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Ford your setting yourself up here man I'm telling you.

Setting myself up for buying a Xbox One and enjoying RYSE: Son of Rome, Forza Motorsport 5, Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct 3 on day one!

I love GAMING!

Sony and Microsoft are making this console generation awesome it's like Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier up in here.

Aaron Greenberg = "native 900p" but also says it runs 1080p (upscaled)
Crytek ceo = "full HD" pretty vague...

Anything upscaled to 1080p is Full HD.

You do realize since he said that they took this huge turn on optimization of triangles and shaders right?

Also why would he say the game itself is at full hd because if it were upscaled the game itself would still be native 900p.

Setting myself up for buying a Xbox One and enjoying RYSE: Son of Rome, Forza Motorsport 5, Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct 3 on day one!

I love GAMING!

Sony and Microsoft are making this console generation awesome it's like Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier up in here.

Haha well I can agree with that ;)

Top Bottom