• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who are your favorite black Nintendo characters?

g0441e414.gif

Blastoise, bruh got the Mark Henry glare on LOCK!

The character from my avatar! Iris!

She's the best Pokemon Champion ever.

Well, maybe she's not "black". I'm not sure what her ethnicity is supposed to be. But she does look like might be supposed to be of African ancestry. Like a lot of people, I don't think it's all that important as some people make it out to be. She is brown. Is brown close enough?

How brown she is kind of depends on which picture or thing it is. She's pretty brown in my avatar, and I think that's supposed to be official artwork. Some fanart seems to make her totally white. While occassionally some fanart makes her even darker than she looks in the official art. It also seems like they straightened her hair when she became champion.

Before she became champion her hair looks kind of thick and what some people call "afro textured hair" or "nappy hair". Maybe it's not supposed to be, but it really looks that way. Moreso than almost any other anime character.

Actually, it seems like she's almost the only black anime character ever. Or brown I guess. There's some of the other brown characters from Pokemon who seem like they might be black. And there's two black characters from Soul Eater. Unfortunately I've forgotten their names. One of them is a student who uses fists for a weapon, and one of them is a teacher at the academy. And there's Ayukawa Miyuki from Basquash!. But there's not many others...

Azure J

Daisy and Captain Syrup before the nerfs.

Bowser and Ludwig currently.

Edit: Hold up, Toad counts? I'll mention him here too then.

213372bu

Banned
The character from my avatar! Iris!

She's the best Pokemon Champion ever.

Well, maybe she's not "black". I'm not sure what her ethnicity is supposed to be. But she does look like might be supposed to be of African ancestry. Like a lot of people, I don't think it's all that important as some people make it out to be. She is brown. Is brown close enough?

How brown she is kind of depends on which picture or thing it is. She's pretty brown in my avatar, and I think that's supposed to be official artwork. Some fanart seems to make her totally white. While occassionally some fanart makes her even darker than she looks in the official art. It also seems like they straightened her hair when she became champion.

Before she became champion her hair looks kind of thick and what some people call "afro textured hair" or "nappy hair". Maybe it's not supposed to be, but it really looks that way. Moreso than almost any other anime character.

Actually, it seems like she's almost the only black anime character ever. Or brown I guess. There's some of the other brown characters from Pokemon who seem like they might be black. And there's two black characters from Soul Eater. Unfortunately I've forgotten their names. One of them is a student who uses fists for a weapon, and one of them is a teacher at the academy. And there's Ayukawa Miyuki from Basquash!. But there's not many others...

What is this even..

Black isn't an ethnicity. It's the color of your skin.

Because people have "nappy hair" or "afro texture hair" doesn't mean they're black.

Are brown people black?

My brain can't even compute.

ELMA X
9LHgrVr.jpg

Nintendo is trying, even if this is the same Japan meme of Black human with white hair we see in anime and manga

I can't find the Rihanna video but you can be black in Xenoblade. That is a good start for me

What is this even..

Black isn't an ethnicity. It's the color of your skin.

Because people have "nappy hair" or "afro texture hair" doesn't mean they're black.

Are brown people black?

My brain can't even compute.
I'm sorry if I said something offensive. I find the whole thing a little bit confusing.
I'm super sorry if I did.

A lot of people seem to use "black" to mean someone who has African ancestry. And yes, you're very right, people can have that kind of hair without being black.
I was kind of using the term in the way that people tend to call Obama "black". Even though he's kind of light brown. As in, having African ancestry or having stereotypical "African" hair and things like that.
Perhaps it's racist to do that, though. And I shouldn't. People said a lot about how Asians shouldn't have physical features stereotyped in the other thread about Asian fetishism. And I think that's probably.

I'm also so used to people saying things like "Obama is black" and by black they mean "Obama is ethnically of African ancestry" or "Obama has brown skin and afro-textured hair and has stereotypical African features".
That I ended up feeling like maybe it was appropriate to do myself. But it probably wasn't and I probably shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry.

If I said something offensive and I should go back and edit my post, I will. And please teach me what you feel is the appropriate way to talk about this subject and not do something insensitive or do or promote anything racist.

She's not a Nintendo character but the series has always been in Nintendo consoles and she deserves more love:

shantae_dance_by_lunaclefairy-d6mjnng.gif

Shantae's too good, she's also a main character.

213372bu

Banned
I'm sorry if I said something offensive. I find the whole thing a little bit confusing.
I'm super sorry if I did.

A lot of people seem to use "black" to mean someone who has African ancestry. And yes, you're very right, people can have that kind of hair without being black.

If I said something offensive and I should go back and edit my post, I will.

No, I just gained a pet peeve after some lecture in some class after they explained the difference between African-American and black.

It isn't offensive, it was just weirdly worded, but you don't have to worry she is black.

You don't have to question yourself in your post, it's ok lol.

The term black is suppose to represent your "race" and is based on looks. Those with dark brown skin, and even light brown skin, could be considered black. Some Indians even connect themselves with being the race "black" on their job applications and governmental papers.

There was controversy over it, and it was one of the reasons "African-American History Month" has turned to "Black History Month", as many Black individuals from the Dominican Republic/Haiti/Costa Rica had made some significant accompishes and weren't being acknowledged, despite being racially profiled and discriminated against the term black during times of hardship.

Ropaire

Banned
This thread is gross and insensitive, but I would like to point out to some people on the first page that Reggie is Haitian.

If I said something offensive and I should go back and edit my post, I will.

I don't think you said anything offensive... Black can refer to an ethnicity or to just a skin color depending on context. in the context of this thread, I think most people would go with ethnicity.

Gamerloid

She does gain an afro when electric shocked!

Soul Eater guy you're talking about is Kirikou Rung. The teacher was Sid Barett.

I'm still lost about Brock though.

ExodusRex

Neo Member
Reggie always looked more Mediterranean to me. I just assumed he had a Spanish ancestry. Fun fact: Black people have less Neanderthal DNA on average than white people making them a more pure human specimen. Ain't genetic science fun? I wish I could reanimate Adolf and laugh in his face.

Top Bottom