• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coolest way to kill/beat a boss in a videogame

BouncyFrag

Letting Iron Tarkus do all the work:
A25q_Mq.gif

In New Super Mario Bros for the original DS, you can get a Mega Mushroom into your reserve stock. The easiest way is to grab a Mega Mushroom in a tight spot that doesn't break when you expand. Bring it to the Final Bowser fight, and activate it. Then just hop onto Bowser (walking into him bumps him back), and you casually knock him into the lava. Mushroom Kingdom saved.

Not my video:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xPNpqSyPs4g

Fadobo

Since Psycho Mantis was already mentioned I want to ad "Flamerus Rex" from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. As a child, that boss was so hard. Finding out you can almost instantly kill him with a life spell blew my mind.

Probably something by Platinum games; beating Ray in the opening chapter of Metal Gear Rising, punching the head off the giant robot in Vanquish or one of the various boss fights from Bayonetta (I haven't finished it).

angrygnat

One of the most satisfying boss kills was Kai Leng in ME3. Not particularly hard, it's just by that point in the game I really wanted that POS to die.

Shojx

Though they weren't always the way to land the final blow, I thought the reaction commands in Kingdom Hearts 2 were really cool additions to the boss fights. They were stylistically awesome, and the one at the very end of the final boss is one of my favorite moments in the KH series.

Hypron

Metal-Gear-Rising-Revengeance.jpg

Blade Mode to deflect right hook, Blade Mode to deflect left hook, Y+B for the backhanded stomach stab, mash X for the clinch and then headbutt that motherfucker in his indestructible nanomachine forehead, and now comes the Zandatsu. Slice the heart once, slice it twice, slice it again, KEEP FUCKING SLICING OH MY GOD FUCKING MASH EVERYTHING!

WE'RE DONE HERE

Yep. This was just the perfect way to end that fight, it's great. Platinum are really good at this, the protect the earth QTE in The Wonderful 101 is hilariously done and the "don't fuck with a witch" scene in Bayonetta is great as well.

Otherwise, killing Sir Alonne in Dark Souls 2 without taking damage results in a really cool death animation (he commits seppuku).

Nemesis_

Bayonetta had a pretty fantastic sequence at the end where you basically summoned a demon with your hair and used it to punch the body of "god" into the sun.

NEO0MJ

Are we supposed to know this?
I mean the moon from Majora falling is great and all but seriously what am I looking here?

In Hyrule Warriors there's a spacial hookshot that lets you drag down them oon in order to crush your opponents.

Final boss of Ninja Gaiden (NES). Using the spinning slash special art you can defeat it in one attack -- by jumping towards it you will slash through it's head and body and feel like a total badass. *sidenote: my memory is really messed up, as I remember the boss being a giant dragon that you had to jump off a ledge to attack, but looking at YT videos that's not very accurate.

Trying to remember, but wasn't there a giant alligator boss for RE 1 or 2? You could either try to kill it with bullets, probably wasting all of them, or run away. The secret was getting it to eat a gas tank then making it explode.

Atram

Oh a Wonderful 101 Thread

tumblr_nayn7xsBOj1se9xd2o1_500.gif

tumblr_mzq8drHMpk1qb0wv3o2_r2_500.gif

and many other Gifs.

This Game has deliverd the most funny way to kill the End Boss, .

In Deus Ex, you can find kill phrases for two of the bosses that when spoken cause them to explode (they are cyborgs).

Deus Ex.
Incredibly satisfying to beat this guy with him taunting him while you trying to reason with him knowing all the time that you can kill him just by saying a killphrase.
It's not even funny how incredibly unsurpassed DE is even 15 years after it was released. The story and choices it offered shock me even now. The only slight I have against the game was the ending which carried over to Human Revolution as well. FFS...

Forkball

In Dishonored, the final boss
basically just stands there and lets you kill him. It sounds boring, but there are so many ways to dispose of him that it's actually pretty fun. I reloaded my final save to take him out in numerous ways. In the low chaos ending, he is in the middle of a lengthy monologue and doesn't see you come in. The first time, I just waited for him to turn around and blasted him with a clean shot to the face. After a few reloads, I messed around with putting a land mine behind him, assassinating him from jumping of a chandelier, making him kill himself with his own bullet via mind control etc.

The Hermit

In New Super Mario Bros for the original DS, you can get a Mega Mushroom into your reserve stock. The easiest way is to grab a Mega Mushroom in a tight spot that doesn't break when you expand. Bring it to the Final Bowser fight, and activate it. Then just hop onto Bowser (walking into him bumps him back), and you casually knock him into the lava. Mushroom Kingdom saved.

Not my video:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xPNpqSyPs4g

Amazing!

My answer is SOTC though...

sotc.jpg

If this boss was remade today would it be a QTE fest. Jesus what a game

Using the knife to kill Krauser in Resident Evil 4. Made so much sense given the context of the character. I'm surprised no one else has posted this one yet.

ricki42

Not sure if these count as boss fights, since there are several in the game and most respawn, but I quite enjoyed climbing on the bigger monsters in Dragon's Dogma.

hepburn3d

On my first play-through of Mass Effect 2 I unlocked the Nuke Launcher and the next mission I went on happened to be the one where you go to Tuchanka and do the rite of passage for Grunt. I had no idea what was going to happen in the mission but I held onto the Nuke Launcher (since it only held one round). Towards the end of the mission the Thresher Maw appeared - I was freaking out but I managed to remember the Nuke Launcher. I did not know what to expect from the weapon but I took aim and launched a perfectly-aimed shot right into the Thresher Maw's face. The nuke detonated and completely obliterated the Thresher Maw in one massive explosion. As the mushroom cloud rose into the sky I was in disbelief - I had never one-shot a boss before - much less one as impressive as the Thresher Maw. It made the Nuke Launcher seem godly. That was definitely one of the most memorable boss kills I've had.

This. Except I had no idea how powerful this Nuke was going to be. I unloaded it on a Mech. I almost killed myself and my squad as well as the Mech and every other enemy that was unlucky enough to be round this thing. Such a shame they didn't bring this weapon back for 3, was amazing!!

If your charm/intimidate states were high enough in the original Mass Effect, you could avoid the first part of Saren's boss fight entirely by convincing him to kill himself. Not only do I appreciate that Bioware offered a way to avoid direct confrontation, the fact that you have to max a certain stat to even be able to do this means that I'm guessing a lot of people played through the game without ever seeing this or realizing it was an option

Tate in Shinobi for PS2. You basically chain attacks on minor enemies around the boss and if done swiftly enough you can kill the boss in one hit. Really tricky to pull off for a lot of the later bosses though IIRC.

This right here.

A Tate in Shinobi is glorious. It becomes a puzzle in itself to figure out how to Tate a boss in one hit most of the time except for Hiruko who takes 2 or 3 depending on if the game wants to throw you a bone.

Top Bottom