• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LevityNYC

Banned
What games did you get to play. I'm sure some impressions would be appreciated.

Zombie U.

Super Mario Brothers U

Batman (which looks a lot better than the 360 version and framerate was silky smooth)

I had one preordered and I'm feeling great about my decision.

The Tablet is a LOT bigger than I expected. Feels really nice too.

I've managed to avoid a lot of media for the launch games. I think I'm going to go full blackout until launch. I want that fresh feeling of firing up the OS and being penetrated by that Nintendo charm.

Zombie U.

Super Mario Brothers U

Batman (which looks a lot better than the 360 version and framerate was silky smooth)

jack-nicholson-yes.gif

This makes me very happy.

I think my launch list at this point is now:

New Super Mario Bros. U
Zombie U
Tank! Tank! Tank! (what can I say, I'm more about the gameplay and it looks like a blast)
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Epic Mickey 2

I just really wish I could find out which of the 4 player games can use the Pro controller over the Motion+ controller. That's going to determine how many Pro vs. Motion+ combos I get. :\

jmizzal

I wouldn't get my hopes up...

why?

I dont get the Batman AC WiiU hate, last time I checked the game was universally praised when it came out on PS3/360, all they need to do is get the game running smoothly, even if the gamepad stuff isnt great, its not gonna stop it from being a great game.

Like has been said, it takes time to get engines working smooth on new hardware, even the Sonic Racing game they said everything will be ironed out by launch.

AGITΩ

Zombie U.

Super Mario Brothers U

Nice to know they fixed batman, the Demo I played back in August had so many framedips, it was like watching a video lag then catch up with where it left off in fast forward.

why?

I dont get the Batman AC WiiU hate, last time I checked the game was universally praised when it came out on PS3/360, all they need to do is get the game running smoothly, even if the gamepad stuff isnt great, its not gonna stop it from being a great game.

Like has been said, it takes time to get engines working smooth on new hardware, even the Sonic Racing game they said everything will be ironed out by launch.

This. Batman is a great game, as long as the port is at least as good as the other versions it is definitely worth a play if you haven't before. Honestly, I also think it catches a lot of flak because of Reggie's "It's not the same game, it's not the same content."

AGITΩ

Has there been any confirmation if Batman AC:AE features all the DLC unlocked in disk? Because patrolling as 1970s and TAS Batman is just fun.

Roo

AGITΩ;43212757 said:
Has there been any confirmation if Batman AC:AE features all the DLC unlocked in disk? Because patrolling as 1970s and TAS Batman is just fun.

I think Warner/Rocksteady confirmed it will have all the DLC from the other platforms (Harley Quinn's Revenge included) plus exclusive content.

AGITΩ;43212757 said:

I think Warner confirmed it will have all the DLC from the other platforms (Harley Quinn's Revenge included) plus exclusive content.

Yes, they have said it will include all previously released DLC.

http://trendygamers.com/2012/06/05/...red-edition-include-dlc-check-gameplay-video/

why?

Oh no no, I know that Arkham City is a great game, I decided to buy it the moment they announced it after playing the fantastic Arkham Assylum but my 360 died soon after. I'm skeptic the game will look much better than the other versions due to the reports that say the opposite, but I'm willing to play the game even if it looks like a Wii game (which I'm sure it does not), especially after how the original reminded me a lot of Metroid.

Oh no no, I know that Arkham City is a great game, I decided to buy it the moment they announced it after playing the fantastic Arkham Assylum but my 360 died soon after. I'm skeptic the game will look much better than the other versions due to the reports that say the opposite, but I'm willing to play the game even if it looks like a Wii game (which I'm sure it does not), especially after how the original reminded me a lot of Metroid.

To be fair, most of those reports came from E3 and the events shortly following. I don't think we have seen a ton of stuff from any recent builds of the game, but I do understand wanting to be hesitant about it because that E3 build certainly had some rough looking stuff in it.

To be fair, most of those reports came from E3 and the events shortly following. I don't think we have seen a ton of stuff from any recent builds of the game, but I do understand wanting to be hesitant about it because that E3 build certainly had some rough looking stuff in it.

The thing is that even if the latest build is much more improved they keep using the old demos that they prepared in the first place. The same situation happened with Sonic & All-Stars Racing which apparently had an unoptimized demo with poor performance but it is now the closest version to the target fps Sumo is trying to achieve.

So maybe they changed Batman's demo for NYCC or maybe not, but hopefully it ends up running as smoothly as the other versions.

Hopefully Nintendo and third-parties get stuff out to press before launch so all the technical can be cleared up with plenty of time to change pre-orders and all that good stuff.

Hopefully Nintendo and third-parties get stuff out to press before launch so all the technical can be cleared up with plenty of time to change pre-orders and all that good stuff.

In addition to the OS/UI, MiiVerse and online functions being detailed at the next Direct, it would be very smart of Nintendo to show the final builds of the launch games. It most likely won't happen, but it would help clear up confusion.

In addition to the OS/UI, MiiVerse and online functions being detailed at the next Direct, it would be very smart of Nintendo to show the final builds of the launch games. It most likely won't happen, but it would help clear up confusion.

Yeah, that definitely would be great. I can't freaking wait for the next ND, I hope that Nintendo got it right with the online this time and that they were just waiting until now to talk about it to give them a nice little hype boost going into launch.

What are the odds of getting 2013 game announcements at the next Nintendo Direct? I'm thinking pretty slim, but I hope they announce some things to get us excited for next year.

LevityNYC

Banned
Its incredible that they still haven't bothered with that. Fucking Apple have a universal achievement system and they've been doing gaming for what like...4 years?

The one thing that gives me hope for an achievement style system is that in a Gamespot video a week or so back, they were talking with a guy working on ZombiU they asked about achievements and he kinda paused for second and said "umm...yeah we can't really talk about anything like that yet."

Edit: It's in this video http://asia.gamespot.com/events/eb-expo-2012/video.html?sid=6397834 Someone much more helpful (and less sleepy) can scrub through it and post a timestamp, but just look for when they are talking about ZombiU.

What real difference does it make having a system level achievement system over one just built in to a game? The ability to see them outside of a game and compare them with friends? How often are most people doing that? I can't say I ever do.

What real difference does it make having a system level achievement system over one just built in to a game? The ability to see them outside of a game and compare them with friends? How often are most people doing that? I can't say I ever do.

I personally just like going back through previous games I have played and seeing what I have accomplished in them at a glance, comparing with friends is neat but I enjoy achievements more as a personal record of games I have played and what I did in them.

I'm afraid they just mean game-specific only achievements. Like some of the 3DS games. Resident Evil Revelations for example.

It's part of the flair of your profile, not to mention it does help the sale of a lot of games. I know a bunch of people who got The Walking Dead because the achievements are straight-forward. In my case, I see no point in buying games I already have/finished on another console unless it has achievements since I'd have something to play to.

I prefer to see them outside of the game. Not so I can compare them with friends or anything, but it creates kind of a virtual catalog of all the games you've played.

I personally just like going back through previous games I have played and seeing what I have accomplished in them at a glance, comparing with friends is neat but I enjoy achievements more as a personal record of games I have played and what I did in them.
Will games posting to your Miiverse not give you exactly the same thing?

Will games posting to your Miiverse not give you exactly the same thing?

It's totally possible, we will have to see what the implementation is on that stuff but if you can hit a button in game after say, beating it on a certain difficulty or something, and that goes straight to a wall or similar thing I think I would be satisfied with that.

LevityNYC

Banned
I like comparing it to my friends. I like a universal system to see what I've accomplished in all of my games. I like achievements that make me play a game in different ways that I normally would have... i.e. playing on hard, taking a different path, getting all of the hard to find collectables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom