• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2014 Thread: Speedrunning For Charity - January 5th-11th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coonce

feasel is so good at explaining what he does.

I love this murder of crows that's after the bacon in lara's pockets

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
For those of you who never played the old TR games, these games are FREAKIN HARD. Not even just because of the controls/camera, but there's all kinds of traps and platforming perils.

Coonce

For those of you who never played the old TR games, these games are FREAKIN HARD. Not even just because of the controls/camera, but there's all kinds of traps and platforming perils.

he's playing on a keyboard too, i remember the ps1 controls were impossible to use, the jumping doesn't feel responsive at all and requires stupid timing, it's impressive to see him get around with ease.

RagnarokX

Oh the days when Tomb Raider was good and full of skill-based gameplay. How I miss you.

Zabant

These two are great, legit witty and very informative despite the fact they're probably sick and tired of seeing this game.

And not at all awkward like, well let's be honest, a LOT of the runners so far.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
There is more skill involved in the first room of the first tomb raider game than the 2013 effort.

This run is just making me sad again...but in an awesome way.

I remember replaying the demo for Tomb Raider II over and over again when it was first released. It was the entirety of the Venice stage and so great.

Blizzard

Banned
These two are great, legit witty and very informative despite the fact they're probably sick and tired of seeing this game.

And not at all awkward like, well let's be honest, a LOT of the runners so far.
Yeah, I've never played this game and it's fun to watch and listen to them talk about it. I wish I could stay up to see all of it, but I really should sleep soon.

Sub_Level

Want to play TR2 at some point. Really enjoyed the original. But so far this game seems lighter than even TR '13 on tombs lol. Underwater level now.

Want to play TR2 at some point. Really enjoyed the original. But so far this game seems lighter than even TR '13 on tombs lol. Underwater level now.

It is all a little hazy but I remember the games as:

TR1. Exploring tombs
TR2. Swimming underwater pulling levers... shower
TR3. Killing stuff and getting completely lost in big environments
TR4. Tombs again! But not as exciting
TR5. Dat black outfit
Underworld. Nice water.

RagnarokX

Tomb Raider 2 starts out with a great tomb level and then gets sidetracked for too long with the venice and offshore rig levels, which aren't great. After that it's awesome. Sunken ships, ancient catacombs, epic palace, alternate dimension.

Keep in mind that he is skipping the shit out of the levels. Even the venice and offshore rig levels feature puzzles to solve.

Coonce

1. Exploring tombs
2. Swimming underwater pulling levers
3. Killing stuff and getting completely lost in big environments
4. Tombs again! But not as exciting
5. Dat black outfit
Underworld. Nice water.

that level design is unparalleled.

Gambit61

I was totally expecting something like this when he made that dive.
Mj6sH1D.gif

Nibel

Huge kudos for playing this with binary inputs/keyboard

I remember playing this on PC as a kid as well and boy a LOT of precision is necessary for a lot of jumps and paths

Sub_Level

^Yeah, Vampire is up afterwards.

Duke Nukem 3D is another game where the character will yell if they fall too great of a distance even if they're landing in water and lose no health.

TR1. Exploring tombs
TR2. Swimming underwater pulling levers... shower
TR3. Killing stuff and getting completely lost in big environments
TR4. Tombs again! But not as exciting
TR5. Dat black outfit
Underworld. Nice water.

Have all of them on Steam, will have to try them all!

Zabant

Tomb raider with two english dudes talking about the crystal maze?

It truly is Brit Hour right now, loving it.

Also, Channel 4. Nobody watched CM on sky.

RagnarokX

That blade trap sound effect always sounded like "she's bouncing" to me.

Lara goes to the bottom of the ocean to retrieve an artifact that will open a door in the monastery... and the cave on the other side of the door has a skylight :p

I'm afraid that if I watch the Bloodlines speedrun I'm going to have to play through the game yet again.

Can you mod out the entire sewer part?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I'm afraid that if I watch the Bloodlines speedrun I'm going to have to play through the game yet again.

Can you mod out the entire sewer part?

I know there's a console command to skip the hotel, but I think the fastest way around the sewers is just to noclip, lol.

Gonna pass out now, but will get caught up when I wake up.

Storm360

How story heavy is Vampire? I have it in my Steam library but never got around to playing it, safe to watch the SR or will it have spoilers?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
How story heavy is Vampire? I have it in my Steam library but never got around to playing it, safe to watch the SR or will it have spoilers?

Vampire is fairly story/narrative/theme heavy, but I don't know how much the run is going to skip/mash through the dialogue, which is where most of it comes from.

There are also some key unskippable moments that transition into combat and the like, which will probably get spoiled, though a good deal are optional and will most likely be skipped.

Personally, I'd probably play it yourself before watching the SR, but like I said, it's gonna depend on how much they mash through. Watching the run will show you some rough spots of the combat mechanics, lol.

On the other hand, a full playthrough of Bloodlines (exploring, etc.) will probably take at least 10-15 hours without a guide.

You're going to have no idea what is going on, but I'd still say itll be spoilery.

Plus without the unofficial patches its going to be buggy as hell.

Welp he plowed right through Ocean House. That level made me jump 5 feet out of my chair at one point. Great example of Half-Life-like scripting in that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom