• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light |OT| Beware the Night

lucius

Started on Hard, perfect game for me also plays great with remote play. I wish they were more games like this.

Shoyz

Child of Light is incredibly
somber..
Motivation through the entire game is to return home for her dying father's sake. Tells her he'll die if she doesn't come back, then does so.
Similarly reunited with her mother, who she mentions having lots to talk to her about. Misses her opportunity to talk to her, she disappears. When you regain control, she's standing where her mother was..
She was betrayed by and killed the last of her family, her sister and step-mother.
The child partner who's parents were eaten.
And the partner I managed to miss until post-game, the second clown who you find just prior to him committing suicide(?).

What a depressing game!

Very fun to play apart from that awful difficulty spike mid-game, that area of the game where every enemy has 100% counter-attack rate and interruptions are essentially just giving them an early attack.

R&D

Banned
I didn't know a demo was available! I tried it right away last night, and my suspicions were correct. It's not for me. Soporific music, slow and uninteresting exploration/traversal. What I didn't expect is the world feeling lifeless, it looks like a painting but it's also as static as one. The dialogs in verses are forced, they are adding useless phrases just so that it rhymes. And the silent protagonists add to the lifelessness of the world. Zelda handles this better. The few fights I had were lacking in damage feedback, your attacks look weak and don't connect with the ennemies. The overall atmosphere is depressing. I'll pass unfortunately.

Beat the game last night on Wii U. Missed a couple of coffers and maybe 1-2 stardusts, but not much.

Anyone completed a New Game+ run able to let us know if there was any additional story developments if you run through a second time? There seemed to be quite a few things left unexplained regarding the confessions in particular. I'd also be interested to know if it's possible to
avoid having the betrayal happen, or somehow have events play out differently so that she either remains in your party or rejoins later
. I assume the answer to that is no, but I figure there's no harm in asking.

w00zey

I need to disagree with people in this thread saying the ds4 touch pad is better than the right stick. Just for reference I did played it on remote play before I tried the touch pad. Perhaps that is why I don't like the touchpad. It works so great with the touch screen on the psv. The ds4 touch control doesn't even come close and am actually a bit befuddled as to why it would be so lauded in this thread as the best way to control icculus or whatever his name is. Too each their own I suppose.

Loved this game, might even be my favorite game this year thus far. Looking forward to doing New Game+.
Same. I've avoided this thread for fear of spoilers but I've been itching to see GAF's response to the game. Glad to see it's been generally well received. CoL deserves it.

w00zey

Same. I've avoided this thread for fear of spoilers but I've been itching to see GAF's response to the game. Glad to see it's been generally well received. CoL deserves it.

I've really enjoyed it. I have a feeling there aren't any real spoilers though as the story is more akin to a child's storybook. Still I can't help but really enjoy the battle system. That said, man you can get caught out of rhythm and have to really work hard to get on the right side of the timeline.

My gf just loves playing as Igniculus. Perfectly suited for the Wiimote to just pick up, slow enemies, heal the team, collect goodies. I never thought a turn based RPG would have a real time co-op system that works as well and is as fun as Child of Light. It's also flat out beautiful to look at. Easily my favorite game of 2014 so far.

Ricker

Just fought a Boss that I would of probably failed on hard...so normal is fine for me...also is there a way to switch Oculi's equipped on your gear in battle...since I didnt see how,it didnt help me in some fights since I had lets says water damage on my sword and some where weak against it and some strong...

Also whish I could invert the little blue guy's control when you do those matching puzzles,missed a few because of this(going up when I want to go down at first).

Besides that,awesome little game so far.

lt519

I've really enjoyed it. I have a feeling there aren't any real spoilers though as the story is more akin to a child's storybook. Still I can't help but really enjoy the battle system. That said, man you can get caught out of rhythm and have to really work hard to get on the right side of the timeline.

Getting ambushed with an already weakened team on hard is pretty much a death sentence. Pulling out a victory against 3 enemies, starting behind on the timeline, and with one character at 1 HP are some of the most satisfying RPG battles I've ever enjoyed.

evolkimchi

Neo Member
I beat the game and enjoyed it for the most part. Frankly, the horrible and poorly rhythming dialogue ruined the story for me. To the point where I couldn't bear it and ended up skimming through the cutscenes. Did anyone else have the same issue? I'm beginning to think that I'm on the minority here.

Pandacon

Just beat this last night. I really enjoyed it a lot, the art the dialog and the gameplay all came together for me. I played the game on hard up to the last battle, because getting interrupted all the time was annoying me. I mean, my only complaint would be the interrupting mechanic, no fun when the timing works so all your turns are constantly negated. Not to mention how much items trump trying to use spells for recover and buffs since the cast time is so much shorter, several of the characters I never really used for these reasons.

All in all, it was a good game.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving this game despite getting hit with the PS4 save bug (play demo, bought full game, played for 3 hours or so before realizing it doesn't save and you have to exit and reopen the game to get it to work).

I'm a little into chapter 6 (was on chapter 5 when I realized it wasn't saving--so would be a lot further if I didn't have to replay all that).

I love the art design, and the battles are fun--and I'm not a huge RPG fan. Remote play is great as well since it doesn't use many buttons thus no need for the touch screen for shoulder buttons or stick clicks etc.

Trumpets

It certainly looks the part;
they managed to imbue
this little game with better art
than Saga Frontier 2.

The music waxes prettily
and fully compliments
the atmosphere, but shittily
you rarely get a sense

of a living world of fairytale;
it's all a little thin,
An RPG of modest scale
and too much saccharine.

Finally, the rhyming script
is mostly pretty lame.
A lovely bird whose wings are clipped,
it fails to soar. A shame.

K' Dash

1. Does anyone know if there's DLC planned?

2. Are they going to fix the saved video and broadcasting sound bug?

I need more of this game.

baconcow

Does anyone know the pre-order DLC for the PS4? All I noticed was a golem and some occuli stones. Was there anything else I didn't notice (some sort of Aurora healing spell)? Also, what is up with the 600+ combinations (I am only aware of 51)?

K' Dash

Does anyone know the pre-order DLC for the PS4? All I noticed was a golem and some occuli stones. Was there anything else I didn't notice (some sort of Aurora healing spell)? Also, what is up with the 600+ combinations (I am only aware of 51)?

The preorder DLC was the Golem and come Occuli, the healing spell is from a DLC pack.

Special C

Any differences between the XBO and PS4 versions?

Just the way you control your firefly companion. PS4 uses the touchpad and XB1 uses the right analog. It's been said in this thread that each one is better than the other. Personally I'm playing on Xbox and it controls great.

Just the way you control your firefly companion. PS4 uses the touchpad and XB1 uses the right analog. It's been said in this thread that each one is better than the other. Personally I'm playing on Xbox and it controls great.

You can use the right stick on the PS4 as well or the touchpad. I use the right stick as it's more easily accessible.

jf DOOM

Beat the game last night. Loved everything about it until about 50% in then the combat started to get tedious for me. The last 2 bosses were great though.

taco543

I loved this game and I 100%ed it the other day but I don't want to run through again because on ps4 my app crashed 3 times deleting my save each time, I had to keep downloading my save from the cloud thank god for ps plus. Overall minus the save crushing bug it's an awesome, fun, and beautiful game.

robot

Is it worth using permanent stat boosts on secondary characters or should I just beef up Aurora? I'd hate to use them on characters that may leave.

I'm currently on Chapter 7 and I'm really in love with this game. Such a simple yet fun and charming game. I don't know about the console versions but playing it on PC at 60fps is a pure bliss. I would gladly pay 30-40€ for it but the fact that it cost only 15... it's a steal. Folks, BUY this game!

EDIT: I'm playing it on Hard and the game is still pretty easy but challenging enough to make me use a lot of strategy. I was worried when starting it on Hard because I'm one of those that do not like very hard games and always plays on Normal but it turned out that Hard mode is actually equivalent to other games' Normal mode.

K' Dash

Is it worth using permanent stat boosts on secondary characters or should I just beef up Aurora? I'd hate to use them on characters that may leave.

Personally I used almost all of them on Aurora, except for the magic ones, those I gave them to my black mage and some to my healer :)

Ugh, I really want to play the demo on PC, but Uplay is being a bitch. It opens up Uplay, but nothing loads. The Uplay window stays blank :/
I don't want to try it on PS3 since I don't think it'd feel right. This game looks so good.

Skeleton

Banned
I have just beaten the massive spider that was messing around with the heart of the Giant, I completely love this game, I have unlocked a bunch of the "all" casts and attacks, so so good to block all from attacking.

This game is great I have to say,
In this beautiful world I want to stay.
I really hope I can save the day
in his bed I no longer want the king to lay.
With magic and force I will keep the darkness at bay.

;)

Vitor711

I beat the game and enjoyed it for the most part. Frankly, the horrible and poorly rhythming dialogue ruined the story for me. To the point where I couldn't bear it and ended up skimming through the cutscenes. Did anyone else have the same issue? I'm beginning to think that I'm on the minority here.

The writing has no rhythm/meter. It's difficult to follow as a result and flows poorly.

I really like everything else about the game but the awful dialogue is dragging it down. In fact, it's making it so that I keep putting off going back to the game. Was not expecting that at all. Quite liked the idea of it being written in verse but the execution is severely lacking.

Regarding the battle system, I thought if you attack or cast something on the enemy while they're in the cast section of the bar it should interrupt them or throw them back into waiting mode but it only seems to do that sometimes?

Dragon

Banned
Regarding the battle system, I thought if you attack or cast something on the enemy while they're in the cast section of the bar it should interrupt them or throw them back into waiting mode but it only seems to do that sometimes?

There is no enemy in the game that I know of that will not be interrupted when they're in the cast state. There are enemies that have automatic counters against magic or physical attacks when they are interrupted though.

I haven't come across any situations where that wasn't the case. You've seen your characters attack an enemy while it is in the cast bar and they weren't interrupted?

If that is the case, maybe there are a few enemies who are immune to it or have a spell like the one your characters can cast that make you un-interruptable

Played the first few chapters with the gf on a lazy Sunday afternoon and I gotta tip my hat to Ubi for implementing a co-op role that wasn't overwhelming but also felt important to the second player. My girlfriend does not play RPGs (though she's tried her hand at NNK but there was too much going on for her) and was skeptical of CoL but quickly adapted to the battle system and felt like she was really helping out, especially since properly timing Igniculus' Glow can be critical when faced with a full array of enemies.

I'll likely only play this when she's over so I probably won't be finishing it anytime soon, but I have really enjoyed what I've played so far.

Top Bottom