• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

BurntPork

Banned
BY2K said:
1148_1253230725640.jpg
My interest in gaming is fading. I haven't bought a Wii game for nearly 2 years, and I've only bought four DS games in the past two years. And I have a bunch of Steam games that I can't even bring myself to play, which was $150 down the drain.

BY2K

Membero Americo
WHY SHOULD WE LISTEN TO ONM NOW?

People didn't give a flying fuck about the review when it gave SS a 98%.

But OH CRAP, they say the game is EASY! SO IT MUST BE TRUE! THIS REVIEW IS SUDDENLY THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER!

Now we shall ignore EVERY OTHER GODDAMN PREVIEW that says the game has challenge!

Oxx

People expecting a Zelda game in 2011 to have difficulty similar to the NES games are being a tad unrealistic.

Platy

Minish Cap is the easiest zelda EVER (yes, even easier than .. crosobow training =P) and it is one of my top zeldas

If you have a problem with zelda dificulty, do a 3 6 hear run from the start !

In the worst case scenario you can always go back crying to the boss room for your heartpiece =P

But i don't know ... enemies that don't stand by to attack mixed with enemies that gets harder the more you advance mixed with the new combat options of motionplus .... i'm guessing this game will be at least more dificult than ocarina of time and twilight princess (master querst and cave of ordeals excluded)

Now ... if it will be Oracle/NES dificult ... only playing myself =P

BurntPork said:
It can't, since I'm too old to have nostalgia related to games...

But meh. I probably still won't be able to bring myself to sell it. :/ I just hope ONM is wrong...

I feel sorry for people like who think the only way something can be the best is if it's attached to your childhood.

It's like when people say high school/college is the best 4 years of your life, do people not realize how depressing that sounds.

Why can't something be judged as best, simply on its own merits?

BY2K said:

But OH CRAP, they say the game is EASY! SO IT MUST BE TRUE! THIS REVIEW IS SUDDENLY THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER!

Now we shall ignore EVERY OTHER GODDAMN PREVIEW that says the game has challenge!

Miyamoto had some difficulty with the game.

Regardless of whether he's a great gamer or not, he's Miyamoto and his assessment stands taller and prouder above the rest.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
BurntPork said:
My interest in gaming is fading. I haven't bought a Wii game for nearly 2 years, and I've only bought four DS games in the past two years. And I have a bunch of Steam games that I can't even bring myself to play, which was $150 down the drain.
And yet you're still here every single day.

Anth0ny

BY2K said:

It should be unanimous!

But I'm not losing hope yet. I refuse to believe it's easier than Twilight Princess.

JimWood27 said:
Could not care less about the difficulty, if it is referring to the difficulty in combat and how often you are at risk of dying. That kind of stuff is annoying to me and takes me out of the experience. It is supposed to be a grand adventure and dying every 15 minutes takes away from the adventure for me. It is why I dont particularly like the early games in the series. If it is referring to puzzles and exploration and having your hand held at every turn then, yes, I do care about that and don't want it to be easy.

To each their own, I guess.
It's called tension. There has to be a threat, otherwise the reward for success is always a hollow one. The difficulty shouldn't be insurmountable, but if you never have to focus to win or gradually improve your technique invariably the game is going to lack a true sense of progression.

jackdoe

BY2K said:

Because 98% is a score without context. By itself, it tells us nothing. However, when someone who has played the game to completion starts to talk about difficulty, then I don't see how we can't listen. Compared to previews, which only play a fraction of the game, the reviewer has actually played the game to its entirety which gives some weight behind his statements.

And calm down.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
The Legend of Zelda was my first Zelda game. And there was precisely one puzzle in TP that stumped me. The game only ever gives you one dungeon key at a time, which generally has to be used in one specific door. It's all very prescribed. I remember actually being surprised at finally being given a binary choice between a left hand path and right hand path in the Arbiter's Grounds. Don't get me wrong, TP has some clever dungeon designs, but not because they're particularly difficult.

I found the Block puzzles in TP harder than anything in OOT ( including the WT), obviously both are easy games but I can't understand someone saying there is a great difference between the 2.

Lttp was pretty challenging the first time. Sending you back to the start of a dungeon with 3 hearts every time sucked.

Pretty sure this doesn't happen.

Anth0ny

GrotesqueBeauty said:
It's called tension. There has to be a threat, otherwise the reward for success is always a hollow one. The difficulty shouldn't be insurmountable, but if you never have to focus to win or gradually improve your technique invariably the game is going to lack a true sense of progression.

I think even Miyamoto (or was it Iwata) mentioned that hard parts in games are the most memorable.

death.jpg

176699-LegendofZeldaThe-OcarinaofTimeUV10s.jpg

Remember the part in Twilight Princess where you...uh...yeah...

Don't care how hard the game is, just as long as its offering me a new experience to become accustomed to. I like feeling a bit lost at the beginning only to find myself at the end being a complete badass.

Big One

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Adjectives, how do they work?

And yes, not only have a I played OoT a dozen or more times, I happen to be in the middle of playing it on 3DS. It is by all accounts a significantly more challenging game than WW or TP. And even then it's a bit easier than I would prefer it.
Then maybe you should replay Twilight Princess, cause there are enemies in Ocarina of Time that take minimal damage from Link ala your example. However there's also enemies in Twilight Princess that take several hearts (getting hit by the dragon's fire in City in the Sky will pretty much halve your entire health). All 3D Zelda have relatively similar difficulty except for Wind Waker which is unusually easy. However a lack of difficulty doesn't tamper fun, and nothing in Skyward Sword has proven itself to be less difficult than any of the 3D Zeldas. More reports from people that have played the demos, other review sites, and impressions by people who've played the game suggest Skyward Sword is one of the harder games in the series. You can continue to delude yourself about the difficulty of Ocarina of Time, but when you trust ONM on this matter over hundreds of other people, you only have yourself to blame for that.

Went into Gamestop, saw this and snapped a photo--

IKSqn.jpg

And they let me take home one of the display cases--

PinKh.jpg

Man the actual paper is really shiny and shimmery, not sure it comes across in the pics though. Well you can kinda tell in the top pic.

SykoTech

BY2K said:

Because most Nintendo games this gen have been ridiculously easy. And if the Official Mag of all places is criticizing it's difficulty, then I feel it's probably correct.

Big One

Banned
SykoTech said:
Because most Nintendo games this gen have been ridiculously easy. And if the Official Mag of all places is criticizing it's difficulty, then I feel it's probably correct.
ONM didn't criticize it's difficulty

BY2K

Membero Americo
brandonh83 said:
Went into Gamestop, saw this and snapped a photo--

IKSqn.jpg

And they let me take home one of the display cases--

PinKh.jpg

Man the actual paper is really shiny and shimmery, not sure it comes across in the pics though. Well you can kinda tell in the top pic.

Oh dear God yes, the boxart is actually shinny!

SykoTech said:

Except they don't.

Kard8p3

Anth0ny said:
Zelda 1 and 2 did.

Lttp was pretty challenging the first time. Sending you back to the start of a dungeon with 3 hearts every time sucked.

Since then, it hasn't been too bad. OOT, MM and WW were somewhat challenging my first time around. TP was autopilot the entire way through. Since 2006, I've played every Zelda game, and none are as easy as TP.

No, I'm not asking for Dark Souls. But easier than TP? Is that even possible? That's like Epic Yarn tier.

I think WW is a whole lot easier. Not only is combat just as easy as TP but the dungeons are pretty weak overall. My first time through WW was a much easier experience than my first through TP.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
itsbeautiful.jpg

now make a youtube vid and say you got skyward sword urly :p

the comments would be hilarious and soon it will be on N4G. "Skyward Sword leaked"

haha

daakusedo

For what I've seen, skyward sword fix the most important difficulty problems of twilight princess. The little loss of hearts and boss battles(even if they were really nice), but that was already better in spirit tracks, so that's not so surprising.

Kard8p3

BurntPork said:
Oh, fuck it. I'll probably forget all of this five minutes into the game...

Of course you will. Once you take everything in the combat difficulty will be the last thing on your mind. Plus deep down I'm sure you probably knew the combat wouldn't be difficult anyway.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
marc^o^ said:
New Super Mario Bros on Wii received a 7. The DS game also got a 8.

I can take NSMBW getting a 7, but worse than the DS game? EDGE be trollin'.

brandonh83 said:
This picture brings up something my OCD-riddled brain was thinking about. I display my games on a shelf and they are alphabetical left-to-right so SS would be before TP. But with my CDs, they are alphabetical by band but then chronologically by album. So if I were to do my games that way, SS would be after TP. For those of you with similar obsessive tendencies, what do you think is the best way for series that are not numbered?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JimWood27 said:
This picture brings up something my OCD-riddled brain was thinking about. I display my games on a shelf and they are alphabetical left-to-right so SS would be before TP. But with my CDs, they are alphabetical by band but then chronologically by album. So if I were to do my games that way, SS would be after TP. For those of you with similar obsessive tendencies, what do you think is the best way for series that are not numbered?

Never came up with a solution that made me happy, to be honest :/

Big One said:
Then maybe you should replay Twilight Princess, cause there are enemies in Ocarina of Time that take minimal damage from Link ala your example. However there's also enemies in Twilight Princess that take several hearts (getting hit by the dragon's fire in City in the Sky will pretty much halve your entire health). All 3D Zelda have relatively similar difficulty except for Wind Waker which is unusually easy. However a lack of difficulty doesn't tamper fun, and nothing in Skyward Sword has proven itself to be less difficult than any of the 3D Zeldas. More reports from people that have played the demos, other review sites, and impressions by people who've played the game suggest Skyward Sword is one of the harder games in the series. You can continue to delude yourself about the difficulty of Ocarina of Time, but when you trust ONM on this matter over hundreds of other people, you only have yourself to blame for that.
First of all, I haven't made any claims about Skyward Sword's difficulty because I haven't played it yet. I simply expressed my hope that it's more difficult than WW and TP, both of which I found pathetically easy. I personally find OoT more challenging than either of those games, although in the pantheon of Zelda titles even Ocarina is on the easy side for my tastes. You can call me delusional, but the fact of the matter is that I never found myself in danger of dying in TP whereas getting too cocky in OoT can still nip me in the bud from time to time in spite of knowing the game inside out. We could be polite and call it subjective, but I honestly believe if we looked at the balance of damage inflicted to health items dropped the ratio in OoT would be definitively, mathematically less generous to the player than in WW or TP. Of course, if anyone wants to press the issue with actual empirical data that's fine with me. Otherwise we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Finally, I reject the notion that "a lack of difficulty doesn't tamper fun". Games are all about risk and reward. If there's no risk, the sense of reward vanishes with it. The whole point of interactive media is that the effort you put in directly affects the experience. If the difficulty isn't somewhat in sync with your skill set the player will never experience a genuine sense of accomplishment.

JimWood27 said:
Release order.

JimWood27 said:

holy SHIT dude you're even worse than I am, and I've fucking traded in some of my PS3 games for having the Spider-man font instead of the new design.

JimWood27 said:

Assuming you separate by format, put SS in front of TP as its a prequel.

Dascu

JimWood27 said:
Simple. Don't put your Skyward Sword case on your shelf, just keep it lying next to your Wii at all times, ready for play.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
The Legend of Zelda was my first Zelda game. And there was precisely one puzzle in TP that stumped me. The game only ever gives you one dungeon key at a time, which generally has to be used in one specific door. It's all very prescribed. I remember actually being surprised at finally being given a binary choice between a left hand path and right hand path in the Arbiter's Grounds. Don't get me wrong, TP has some clever dungeon designs, but not because they're particularly difficult.

you're the only guy i've seen that will talk about TP's linearity. they're not dungeons; they're obstacle courses. getting lost in a dungeon is zelda's main appeal for me, so naturally, TP can go off a pier. TWW gets a pass because it's special. :D

i hope this isn't considered progress over at ead. LttP and LA are much more non-linear than the N64 zeldae, and then they have it over the gamecube ones. even TWW had slightly better dungeon design than TP, as that had at least a modicum of choice. i desperately hope SS breaks this trend, or at least offers something different and better.

JimWood27 said:
strictly alphabetical for me, even though it bugs me sometimes with dates being off (castlevania DS games, etc)

In the end, it's just easier to have everything alphabetical.

Cerebral Assassin said:
Assuming you separate by format, put SS in front of TP as its a prequel.
I do, otherwise it would be an even bigger clusterfuck with previous Zelda games.

Dascu said:
Simple. Don't put your Skyward Sword case on your shelf, just keep it lying next to your Wii at all times, ready for play.
Luckily my Wii is on the same shelf in between my Wii and GC games.

Top Bottom