• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

FyreWulff

I thought I read that Bungie is able to use the Reach engine for their future projects, is that true?
If so it might make sense as to why the rebuilt the engine while under contract from Microsoft.
Two birds, one stone.

And that Activison deal was contingent upon high ratings for Reach, so they wanted to make it as impressive as possible.

They keep referring to Reach/4 as being done on 'their previous engine' so there's a good chance the only thing the Destiny engine shares with Halo is the tag system (which is generic enough that you could have it in any engine).

The only interesting thing is if Destiny was on an evolved Reach overhaul then this would be the first time two games (again, if Destiny is an FPS) on the Blam! engine are competing directly with each other. That's more nerd trivia than a fact anyone will actually care about tho

You'd also tend to see a decent amount of employee flow between 343 and Bungie as once you'd learn the engine, you'd have a foot in the door at both of them.

edit: I sometimes wish ODST had come out after Reach on the Reach engine. Reach and ODST are really the only time a Halo game has been co-developed with the full knowledge of what the other one would be. In my opinion ODST and Reach are developmentally/thematically an extension of each other.

edit2: in other words, they work as an expansion pack of each other more than ODST does as an expansion of Halo 3.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
$10 that Mass Effect wasn't the first story to do this. All modern science fiction is derivative, if this works in the context of the story then it's really not a big deal. Being led by the lone Sentinel was really cool, but the conversation itself, too much information all at once.

Everything with flying cars ripped off Blade Runner, oh no.
Simpsons did it.

Karl2177

... Another new low for concurrent users in Halo 4 tonight. 66 650. 343i better hope that people aren't giving up Halo 4 for Lent otherwise it's going even lower.

... Another new low for concurrent users in Halo 4 tonight. 66 650. 343i better hope that people aren't giving up Halo 4 for Lent otherwise it's going even lower.

if I remember correctly, there is not other big Multiplayer game after crysis 3 (and Aliens: CM lol) so 343i have the time to do something avoid that situation before GTA V.

Wow, just realized the meeting with the Librarian in Halo 4 is a straight rip off of the Vigil Scene in the first Mass Effect. Like holy shit 343, this is bad... well mostly for you because the Vigil scene in Mass Effect fuckin rules while the Librarian scene is, well, whatever that was.

- stopped, then forced down specific path
- path leads to ancient "virtual intelligence"
- Vigils first words are of this "eventuality" that had him and Shepard meeting
- Tells that there will be grave threat soon (reapers vs composer)
- must stop Sovereign from using the Citadel as a mass relay and fucking erbody up (Didact Composer yada yada)

I could go on.
Giantbomb had a big thing on how ME, AC & Halo 4 all ended up so much of the same plot.

heckfu

Banned
Wow, just realized the meeting with the Librarian in Halo 4 is a straight rip off of the Vigil Scene in the first Mass Effect. Like holy shit 343, this is bad... well mostly for you because the Vigil scene in Mass Effect fuckin rules while the Librarian scene is, well, whatever that was.

- stopped, then forced down specific path
- path leads to ancient "virtual intelligence"
- Vigils first words are of this "eventuality" that had him and Shepard meeting
- Tells that there will be grave threat soon (reapers vs composer)
- must stop Sovereign from using the Citadel as a mass relay and fucking erbody up (Didact Composer yada yada)

I could go on.

Look up archetypes and Carl Jung. You'll see that this story has been told literally hundreds of times before.

heckfu

Banned
The point is about 3 AAA games doing it at the same time.

1) The chosen one
2) Ancient Evil/Threat
3) Ancient dead allies

I understand that, but what I was telling him that it's not a ripoff of Mass Effect, it's a ripoff of stories from generations ago. I was debating his point, not yours.

The point is about 3 AAA games doing it at the same time.

1) The chosen one
2) Ancient Evil/Threat
3) Ancient dead allies

Allllll that hype behind the Ancient Evil......

Alllllllllll. Thattttt. Hypeeeee.
Ended by a QTE Pulse grenade.

whywhywhywhy.gif

Flinch in snipers is fucking insane! Its not just a lil nuge nooo. If you get hit with a body shot you will be staring at the fucking clouds in the sky. There is no way in hell to counter that shit. By the time I move my slow ass Y axis back to normal im dead. With hundreds of common since oversights like this I don't see how the industries best of the best made this game.

I wonder if Risen can control flinch in Team Snipes?

Played one game of the new and 'improved' snipes playlist yesterday. They may have made it better but I wouldn't know because I played shotty snipes on Complex. Went plus 18 or something and still had no desire to play another game in the list. Flinch doesn't help but I'm also starting to think the Halo 4 sniper is just plain un-fun to use. I initially thought that about the Reach sniper after Halo 3's but eventually came round to it. 4 has been out for months now and it still feels a bit boring to use. It desperately needs a headshot medal, its model needs to revert back to the traditional sniper aesthetic and the zoomed in scope vision needs to change too.

Also bring back Cage for Team Snipers.

Also Abandon is rapidly becoming an insta-quit map choice in any playlist, any gametype.

FyreWulff

They need to take Complex and Vortex out of Snipers for starters. Vortex is just too damn big for 4v4 and Complex is playing hide-and-go-seek. Too much hiding.

Exile is pushing it. It could work better with some Snipers-specific changes.

Does anybody here know how to turn off automatic renewal on a gold account? I'm trying to remove a payment option from my account and it won't let me because it's associated with an auto renewal...

They need to take Complex and Vortex out of Snipers for starters. Vortex is just too damn big for 4v4 and Complex is playing hide-and-go-seek. Too much hiding.

Exile is pushing it. It could work better with some Snipers-specific changes.

Images of Cragmire just flashed through my head.

Akai__

Does anyone know, where I can get a Key for Halo 2 PC online? My local stores don't have Halo 2 for Vista anymore and I can't find anything online. Help would be much appreciated.

Omni

Does anyone know, where I can get a Key for Halo 2 PC online? My local stores don't have Halo 2 for Vista anymore and I can't find anything online. Help would be much appreciated.

My game came with two product keys actually. Can't remember which one I've used though haha :\

Is there a way to find out? (does it even matter?) If so, I'll PM you the other one?

Not sure if legal, but I think windows live keys aren't tied to any specific game and any key can unlock any game. So... it just becomes a matter of locating or buying a key... ahem

zap

Does anybody here know how to turn off automatic renewal on a gold account? I'm trying to remove a payment option from my account and it won't let me because it's associated with an auto renewal...

https://live.xbox.com/en-GB/Account?xr=mebarnav

It should come up with:
Automatic Renewal: Off (Change)
Expires on: 7/01/2014

If they don't have it on the site, you'll have to ring support. They never used to give the option to cancel auto renew online which was sleazy as shit.

Omni

It should come up with:

If they don't have it on the site, you'll have to ring support. They never used to give the option to cancel auto renew online which was sleazy as shit.

Haha. I borrowed my sister's credit card a few years ago and paid for the gold membership. I must have accidentally clicked auto renew and ever since my sister has been paying for my Live because you couldn't turn it off on the site and she was too lazy to ring up.

Akai__

My game came with two product keys actually. Can't remember which one I've used though haha :\

Is there a way to find out? (does it even matter?) If so, I'll PM you the other one?

It would be awesome, if you would give me the other key.

Not sure if legal, but I think windows live keys aren't tied to any specific game and any key can unlock any game. So... it just becomes a matter of locating or buying a key... ahem

Hmmh okay. My friend needs a key too, so I will look into this.

It should come up with:

Thanks Zap. After trying and failing to do this on my mobile (the option wasn't there as far as I could see) I used a proper browser and still had to wade through several pages until I found the buried auto renewal option. Even when I turned it off it splashed a page of all the features I'd be missing out on if I 'cancelled' before I could confirm it.

And yet still I cannot remove my payment option (it still claims it's associated with an auto renewal).

MS's business practices are still absolutely sly, pick-pocket scumbag. They're like, barely one step above those company's that used to send you a text and if you text back STOP they'd set up an auto-subscription where they'd charge you £3 per text sent to you. The funny thing is I already have renewed my gold account beyond the one month; I've got a 12 month retail card in the interim. The one month was just to tide me over and now they won't let me take a credit card off of their records? Utter patronising contempt for their paying customers.

heckfu

Banned
Thanks Zap. After trying and failing to do this on my mobile (the option wasn't there as far as I could see) I used a proper browser and still had to wade through several pages until I found the buried auto renewal option. Even when I turned it off it splashed a page of all the features I'd be missing out on if I 'cancelled' before I could confirm it.

And yet still I cannot remove my payment option (it still claims it's associated with an auto renewal).

MS's business practices are still absolutely sly, pick-pocket scumbag. They're like, barely one step above those company's that used to send you a text and if you text back STOP they'd set up an auto-subscription where they'd charge you £3 per text sent to you. The funny thing is I already have renewed my gold account beyond the one month; I've got a 12 month retail card in the interim. The one month was just to tide me over and now they won't let me take a credit card off of their records? Utter patronising contempt for their paying customers.

I've had problems forever removing payments :(

Ghazi

Yeah, after awhile of its annoyance with stuff like that I just called them and removed it. I just buy prepaid cards now, either at a store or if I want/need one ASAP I just get it off Amazon. It's much better

Contact support chat or by phone. Microsoft's sites are horrid for that stuff. I've had much luck dealing with them directly, they've been very helpful, even reversing payments for me.

Although they did steal my buddy's nice Halo faceplate when he sent it in for repairs...

It's ultimately counter productive for them because these underhand tactics put me off ever purchasing directly from the marketplace again. I'll stick to pre-paid cards wherever possible

Contact support chat or by phone. Microsoft's sites are horrid for that stuff. I've had much luck dealing with them directly, they've been very helpful, even reversing payments for me.

I don't own a landline so phoning those 0845 numbers end up costing me about the same as a one month gold account el oh el.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
It's common knowledge around neogaf, and particularly this forum, that talking like that isn't acceptable in any way. Using the phrase that the developers 'have downs' isn't ok in my book or many others. Sorry I take offense to that.

I think associating any classification of persons with 343 is more offensive to said persons than 343 looking at the thought process or lack of that went in Halo 4.

Oh my god, Team Doubles on Solari.

Out Light Rifling a BR user, grabbing Needler to take out the teammate, getting the Railgun on spawn and blowing up the freshly-respawned enemy and proceed to take out the guy going for Sticky Detonator from across the map, and ultimately ending the game by assassinating the last living enemy while he was facing me and getting a total of 23 kills.

Holy shit, I'm home.

Oh my god, Team Doubles on Solari.

Out Light Rifling a BR user, grabbing Needler to take out the teammate, getting the Railgun on spawn and blowing up the freshly-respawned enemy and proceed to take out the guy going for Sticky Detonator from across the map, and ultimately ending the game by assassinating the last living enemy while he was facing me and getting a total of 23 kills.

Holy shit, I'm home.

Now do it again. With speed boost.

Computer

First impressions are everything especially in today's ADD society most people wont even watch a YouTube video it is over 2 minuets long. Since 343 released a beta for a game on launch day Halo is nothing but a dying cause. No game type or half ass rank is going to bring players back. Its to little to late, unfortunately for 343 most players have already gave the game a 2nd and 3rd chance. This paired with the burn players got on Halo Reach, Halo will never be top dog again. Halo 4 was the last hope. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.

Top Bottom