• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda am open to Malicious being ported as a $20 budget retail game, looks pretty neat, plus I like seeing boxes on shelves.

But I'd definitely be even happier if they made a new core IP, they've made some casual stuff before with their DS games, ugh.

Isn't Sony bringing it over? Won't that keep Malicious from being localized should it get ported ala Samurai Warriors 3 and to an extent Symphonia?

Otherwise I can see this being a good match for D3, I don't see Aksys releasing it as a budget game.

How long do we expect this era of the Dudebro to continue? Much like platformers, fighters and sandbox(es) before it all of these genre's surges end. Can the CoD way of doing things carry us through another generation of consoles? Or should we look to the new masses of gamers that were lured in by the Wii. WOuld easing them into core gamers be less of a task than capturing the elusive dudebro? Even if Wii U provides the superior experience that bros seek, will it be enough to tear them away from gamerscores and friend's list? No matter what the next xbox has under the hood its ace will be the service(s) that MS/XBL provides. For NCL to fight that battle seems like a losing battle. They have an oppurtunity to create something new and compelling that appeals to a broader audience than XBL (and definately PSN).

The actual tilting for Skydiving does not start until the camera changes. If you try tilting before that, even half a second before that, it does not count. When that camera changes, wherever the wiimote is currently angled in 3D space is the new base zero.

Once I figured that out, I got to the bird's nest in one try.

But no, 100% broken. 100%. Literally impossible to do.

SO TRUE.
Once I realized that the position I held the controller in before leaping affected how much I had to tilt the controller for movement I began to hold the wiimote upright before every jump and it has been really smooth controls ever since. Sure it can be a little annoying at first but I just want to say I found the skydiving controls to be very well implemented once I came to fully understand them! (not really on topic, I know @_@)

AzaK

Do you think we'll see cloud saves on Wii U?
Unfortunately I think Nintendo thinks clouds are still only those fluffy white things in the sky. :)

How long do we expect this era of the Dudebro to continue? Much like platformers, fighters and sandbox(es) before it all of these genre's surges end. Can the CoD way of doing things carry us through another generation of consoles? Or should we look to the new masses of gamers that were lured in by the Wii. WOuld easing them into core gamers be less of a task than capturing the elusive dudebro? Even if Wii U provides the superior experience that bros seek, will it be enough to tear them away from gamerscores and friend's list? No matter what the next xbox has under the hood its ace will be the service(s) that MS/XBL provides. For NCL to fight that battle seems like a losing battle. They have an oppurtunity to create something new and compelling that appeals to a broader audience than XBL (and definately PSN).
It can easily survive another console cycle or more, especially with budgets so high; they need mainstream games and that's where the money is. I don't think Nintendo will steal them all but as bgassassin suggested, with dual controller Madden they may get part of that market. Apart from that I think like you Nintendo will be hoping there's a whole slew if games of various types that are so unique on the uPad that people will want it (Like the Wii). A lot of the mass consumer market in the "casual" realm along with the Nintendo hardcore should be into it like noones business. Pick up some dudebros from other platforms along the way and they should do quite well.

One thing that would be intresting would be if Nintendo allows cross platform online play. One wonders if WiiU player would have a field advantage over users of more standard controls schemes? Just going by the Ghost Recon WiiU video, I can see WiiU vastly improving team work, battlefield management and communications. An online Battallion Wars set in the Days of Ruin setting with units having actual functions (kinda like Chromehounds) to perform while fighting a persistant war. Timesplitters 4 map creation would be pretty awesome too. It would almost certainly be a stripped down Crytools with an intuitive interface.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Because it doesn't work. The falling controls are 100% broken and another case of unnecessary motion control.

I also just started playing, and I agree.

Although the intro felt shorter than TP's to me, and I didn't mind TP's. *shrug*

How long do we expect this era of the Dudebro to continue?

I feel like we can't compare "dudebro" games to fighters or platformers of the past. The gaming market is larger now, and the amount of coexisting demographics has also expanded. If games were movies, CoD is your typical superhero blockbuster. Superhero films will eventually fade out of popularity, but summer blockbusters will still be made. Same goes for "dudebro" games.

What people need to reshape their thinking about is not how to topple the dudebro trend, but how to recognize that what is immensely popular and what is actually "the best" is not the same. For the most part, other mediums fully understand that concept. It seems that in videogames there is a severe overemphasis on the sales of something equating to it's quality. Neogaf probably has the most forward thinking community in regards to looking past those things, but even when taking that into consideration we still go nuts over NPD figures and general sales tracking.

We should focus less on sales and understand that "dudebro" games being the most popular does not mean that game enthusiasts consider them to be the finest offerings available, and just because we may feel that millions of people may be better suited playing a less recognized game doesn't mean that the masses who make up that summer blockbuster "dudebro" market are interested in playing the latest niche titles. Just as your average Lady Gaga fan isn't going to be interested in listening to Fleet Foxes, your average CoD fan isn't going to be interested in playing No More Heroes and that is totally fine because the existence of one is NOT encroaching on the existence of the other. There is a market for both and the overlapping audience between them is narrow.

Wow... more long winded than I'd hoped for. :/

watershed

Banned
Does anyone think we'll see some kind of fighting game from Capcom with Nintendo exclusive characters for the wii u launch? Capcom and Nintendo are real buddy buddy these days I'm thinking something like how they had SSFIV 3D for the 3ds launch but done better and not just a port.

snesfreak

Banned
Does anyone think we'll see some kind of fighting game from Capcom with Nintendo exclusive characters for the wii u launch? Capcom and Nintendo are real buddy buddy these days I'm thinking something like how they had SSFIV 3D for the 3ds launch but done better and not just a port.
Super Street Fighter IV Super Turbo Arcade Nintendo Edition

Boerseun

Banned
You are the 1%.

And as for convincing dudebros to play, they need to draw them in with the graphical capabilities - which is why the gap between the WiiU and NEXTBOX is so crucial: for a little while, nintendo will be the leaders in technology, and they need to play on that.

Call of Duty games sell 1 million+ on Wii each. I am convinced there are others who, like myself, own multiple platforms and could conceivably buy these games on those platforms. For reasons of personal preference, we still end up buying the Wii versions, with controls being in my opinion likely the most important feature driving us to make our purchases.

As long as Nintendo and others keep the Wii Remote and Nunchuck as the standard FPS configuration on Wii U, I can see Wii FPS fans making a seamless transition to the new console, while surely, as you say, new 'dudebro' types may buy Wii U based on the idea that it offers the most bang for your buck. And hopefully those new purchasers end up loving the controls as much as the rest of us do, so that they stick around even when the next Xbox with its (probably marginally) better graphical capabilities arrives.

TunaLover

I'm expecting a Street Fighter IV game, and Monster Hunter 5

Sadist

Nintendo vs. Capcom Power Stone Edition.

I wish :( They'll probably port Street Fighter vs. Tekken or something like that. And Dead Rising 3.

PetrCobra

Call of Duty games sell 1 million+ on Wii each. I am convinced there are others who, like myself, own multiple platforms and could conceivably buy these games on those platforms. For reasons of personal preference, we still end up buying the Wii versions, with controls being in my opinion likely the most important feature driving us to make our purchases.

Yeah, and it's probably the only good reason I can think of (even though for me it's also the main feature and a part of me cannot understand why most people don't just use PC where the controls are not crippled compared to playing on a gamepad). Everything else is either the same or there is more of it on the other platforms. This needs to change. People want their leaderboards, achievements, patches, whatever... and of course the graphics - Nintendo needs to give them what they want. Of course, not everyone will be convinced to switch their COD platform just based on the features they already have elsewhere and one of the strongest points is still the userbase which is much bigger on PS360.

I'm just looking forward to that window, albeit a short one, where cross-platform game adverts will have "WiiU footage" across the bottom. Should be a nice bit of advertising/Nintendo pie.

SO TRUE.
Once I realized that the position I held the controller in before leaping affected how much I had to tilt the controller for movement I began to hold the wiimote upright before every jump and it has been really smooth controls ever since. Sure it can be a little annoying at first but I just want to say I found the skydiving controls to be very well implemented once I came to fully understand them! (not really on topic, I know @_@)

My "Oh, fuck - THAT'S how it works" moment came with puzzling out the tightrope walking. I'd been using the Remote in a horizontal position but no matter how far I rolled it side to side, it never seemed responsive enough and it would take me half-a-dozen falls to get across a single rope.

Then I tried holding the Remote up, as though I was holding Link (with the tip of the Remote being his head) and it worked perfectly. One of the few moments in the game where using motion wasn't intuitive - a simple prompt to hold the Remote in a certain way, like the Smooth Moves "stances" would have got around this with no trouble.

I am still shocked a Nintendo Vs. Capcom collaboration hasn't occurred, what with Nintendo/Iwata willing to be somewhat more aggressive recently (Monster Hunter on 3DS). I'd think such a game would easily become a best-seller if Smash is any indication, and it would strengthen ties between the two companies.

I think it'd also be a good opportunity for Capcom to explore an interface that doesn't require technical input motions, or at least use the tablet in a similar fashion to the 3DS touch screen in SSFIV. (The "Simple" modes in MVC3 is similar to what I'm talking about, but it shouldn't lack the depth or options of the "Normal" control scheme.) This would open the genre up to a wider audience (for more sales) and fit with Nintendo's overall theme/ideology for its games and products.

In the absence of Nintendo Vs. Capcom, I think Capcom should make some sort of "Super Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom" for launch, or at least a fancy port of UMVC3. Throw in some features to emphasize Nintendo's supposedly rocking online network to help instill confidence, and voila.

Also, port/update of Street Fighter X Tekken.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
My "Oh, fuck - THAT'S how it works" moment came with puzzling out the tightrope walking. I'd been using the Remote in a horizontal position but no matter how far I rolled it side to side, it never seemed responsive enough and it would take me half-a-dozen falls to get across a single rope.

Then I tried holding the Remote up, as though I was holding Link (with the tip of the Remote being his head) and it worked perfectly. One of the few moments in the game where using motion wasn't intuitive - a simple prompt to hold the Remote in a certain way, like the Smooth Moves "stances" would have got around this with no trouble.

I really can't believe anyone would have trouble with this. Unless you're told otherwise, there's really no reason to assume that you need to hold the remote in any other way.

I really can't believe anyone would have trouble with this. Unless you're told otherwise, there's really no reason to assume that you need to hold the remote in any other way.

Well, when I first started playing SS I would come to the tightrope sections holding the Remote beside me in a horizontal position - that's just the way I was holding it during normal play. As there's no indication from any of the onscreen prompts to change the position of the Remote - the only onscreen indicator shows the Remote from above, with arrows pointing out from either side, which can be read in a couple of different ways - it was natural to keep holding the controller in the same position. It was only when I got frustrated with the poor response and started to experiment that it became obvious that the controller needed to be reoriented to respond correctly.

BurntPork

Banned

*bangs head on wall* Well, that explains a lot.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Well, when I first started playing SS I would come to the tightrope sections holding the Remote beside me in a horizontal position - that's just the way I was holding it during normal play. As there's no indication from any of the onscreen prompts to change the position of the Remote - the only onscreen indicator shows the Remote from above, with arrows pointing out from either side, which can be read in a couple of different ways - it was natural to keep holding the controller in the same position. It was only when I got frustrated with the poor response and started to experiment that it became obvious that the controller needed to be reoriented to respond correctly.

Completely horizontal? How did that not break your wrist? :p

Off to the side is one thing, but obviously in a tight-rope section you'd want to keep the remote as straight as possible. It's really no less intuitive than anything else.

Unless you really do mean completely horizontal, in which case that just means you're silly.

*bangs head on wall* Well, that explains a lot.

Wow, really? Oh, you guys.

Completely horizontal? How did that not break your wrist? :p

Off to the side is one thing, but obviously in a tight-rope section you'd want to keep the remote as straight as possible. It's really no less intuitive than anything else.

Unless you really do mean completely horizontal, in which case that just means you're silly.

Trying to demonstrate what I mean without resorting to crappy MS Paint pics is tricky!

I normally play the Wii curled up on the couch with the Remote + Nunchuk sat on my lap so, when I was playing SS, I would (unless I was in a swordfight) have the Remote sat nearly flat on my knee pointing toward the screen. As I said, that would be my "default" position when I came to the tightrope sections so my first instinct was to follow the arrows and roll the Remote left and right, like turning a key, to keep Link balanced.

Unless I missed a prompt somewhere, it wasn't immediately obvious that I needed to tilt the Remote upward so the tip faced the ceiling - hence the frustration and eventual experimentation!

EDIT:

...and "beside me in a horizontal position" isn't really quite what I meant - "on my lap in a horizontal position" would have been more accurate.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Trying to demonstrate what I mean without resorting to crappy MS Paint pics is tricky!

I normally play the Wii curled up on the couch with the Remote + Nunchuk sat on my lap so, when I was playing SS, I would (unless I was in a swordfight) have the Remote sat nearly flat on my knee pointing toward the screen. As I said, that would be my "default" position when I came to the tightrope sections so my first instinct was to follow the arrows and roll the Remote left and right, like turning a key, to keep Link balanced.

Unless I missed a prompt somewhere, it wasn't immediately obvious that I needed to tilt the Remote upward so the tip faced the ceiling - hence the frustration and eventual experimentation!

EDIT:

...and "beside me in a horizontal position" isn't really quite what I meant - "on my lap in a horizontal position" would have been more accurate.

I think I understand what you're getting at now, but not holding the remote at all when playing seems weird and foreign to me! And when I'm holding, it's closer to an upward position, making the tightrope sections seem like a no-brainer.

Either UMVC3 or TVC2 with Toon Link.

Who knows, but honestly I think that is the group Nintendo is targeting when they say what they are. They just wouldn't identify them the same way.

Nintendo vs. Capcom Power Stone Edition.

Yes. :)

I wish :( They'll probably port Street Fighter vs. Tekken or something like that. And Dead Rising 3.

Yes. :(

Haven't there been plenty of complaints about Nintendo doing too much "hand holding". :p

I think I understand what you're getting at now, but not holding the remote at all when playing seems weird and foreign to me! And when I'm holding, it's closer to an upward position, making the tightrope sections seem like a no-brainer.

It's still in my hand, just it and my hand are resting in my lap unless I need to make more "active" movements like in swordplay or throwing bombs.

I can certainly see how holding the Remote more upright would put you in a natural position for the tightrope sections, but it just wasn't how I had been playing and it didn't "click" for a wee while.

Haven't there been plenty of complaints about Nintendo doing too much "hand holding". :p

I would have quite happily sacrificed the umpteenth "HEY YOU'VE GOT A FUCKING BUG OF SOME KIND!" text box for a simple "hold the Remote vertical" prompt ;-)

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Do you think we'll see cloud saves on Wii U?
Why would you want it? People are already pissy about the idea of only licensing the software they buy, I can't see anyone wanting to licensing their save files too.

A fighting game seems to be the standard launch title from Capcom these days. One with Nintendo characters is a different story...

Last January, SF4 producer Yoshinori Ono was asked about including Nintendo characters into the game and jumped straight into talking about Capcom vs Nintendo. He later apologized for starting the confusion but then left the door open that it might still happen. And this wasn't the first round of teasing from Capcom... I would say its safe to say the guys at Capcom want to make it.

I like kinda like the sound of NES-style gaming returning. Don't be wusses. ^_^

Heh. Usually I'm in favour of solid difficulties, and not handholding the player with prompts for everything, but this seemed like one of the few occasions when a simple "change your stance"-type instruction would have sufficed.

Mind you, this is also probably the point at which someone is going to check the manual and tell me the instructions were there...

AzaK

I would have quite happily sacrificed the umpteenth "HEY YOU'VE GOT A FUCKING BUG OF SOME KIND!" text box for a simple "hold the Remote vertical" prompt ;-)
The only thing that's grating on my nerves a lot is everyone treating me like a moron and explaining things that are far far too obvious.

The worse case for me so far is
that old biddy saying " you probably worked it out already but you need to go back in time"
. No shit Sherlock!!

Wow, is this the Wii-U thread or the Skyward Sword thread? :p

So anyways, I'm betting that at E3 they aren't going to announce the price of the system - they'll wait a couple months for that. Mainly so they can see what the other next-gen systems are like and set their price accordingly.

I think the price gets announced at E3, but not during the conference.

Heh. Usually I'm in favour of solid difficulties, and not handholding the player with prompts for everything, but this seemed like one of the few occasions when a simple "change your stance"-type instruction would have sufficed.

Mind you, this is also probably the point at which someone is going to check the manual and tell me the instructions were there...

LOL. I'm just messing with ya.

From Capcom I'm expecting warmed over Dragon's Dogma and SFXT ports. Maybe they'll reach back earlier too, I could see RE5Gold, UMVC3, SSF4AE and maybe a DR2 Collection all still being possibilities.

New stuff probably won't happen until RE6, Basara 4 or MH4G in 2013.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
But this is assuming Wii-U launches in Nov 2012. If they launch Sept/Oct range they can't & won't wait to announce the price.
E3 would still be about 4 months before launch in that case. They'd still have plenty of time to make a finalized launch announcement. They're going to be intentionally vague just to judge reactions and demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom