• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

I got to go watch that bird demo again

sparks.gif

those sparks look like OMG o_O

BlackJace

My question is how HD-ifying Nintendo games will make it astronomically better. There's no question certain classic franchises will benefit from it, Metroid being a prime
see what I did there?
example. I honestly would gasm over a new Metroid Prime game running on a beefy engine.

But what about other franchises such as Mario Kart or Kirby? Sure HD would give them an extra gloss of paint, but will it be enough?
Eh, I guess it's up to the devs to use their creativity.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
For the legit part, go back 2 or 3 pages before to a post of lherre, or to Speculation Thread part 2 with a clarification post of mine.

Concerning UE4, i talk about it in Thread 2, in the 10/20 last pages i guess, nothing really groundbreaking.

But yeah, take everything (and this rumor about an upgrade of the Wii U to support it) with a grain of salt.

nickcv

My question is how HD-ifying Nintendo games will make it astronomically better. There's no question certain classic franchises will benefit from it, Metroid being a prime
see what I did there?
example. I honestly would gasm over a new Metroid Prime game running on a beefy engine.

But what about other franchises such as Mario Kart or Kirby? Sure HD would give them an extra gloss of paint, but will it be enough?

galaxy was mind blowing without the need of HD... artistic direction is not something that nintendo lacks...

hatchx

Banned
Like a known philosopher named Bieber said one day: never say never. And with a reasonable overworld (not GTA-sized of course), the budget and development time will be controlled. The fictional universe of this franchise ooze of craziness and ASK to spread elsewhere than only races, with the Ashi anime, story modes & other medias.

But yeah, in the worst case, a classic F-Zero with solid online mode + track editor. It's better than nothing, but it will be too conservative in my opinion :p

I agree with ya man, I want the F-Zero world to expand for sure. I just don't know...did GX even crack 500k worldwide?

I'd rather see Mach Rider reinvented as an open world game, but with a mix of Road Rash chain whipping motorcycle action. It'd also be cool if the motorcycle had some simple platforming mechanics, like the ability to jump, skid crazily, and jump up and ride of the side of a building.

BlackJace

galaxy was mind blowing without the need of HD... artistic direction is not something that nintendo lacks...

I agree its just that I hope Nintendo won't go the route of "Here, we have HD 1st Party games." And boom that's the Wii U.

I really want them to knock my socks off with dat controller.

hatchx

Banned
see what I did there?

I see what you did there ;)

Interesting question, and one I've considered. The 2D Mario Bros, too, is something that I wonder how it will jump. Here is what I think.

New Super Mario Bros

Let people draw new levels with the tablet. Easy enough for kids. Select water than draw water. This will burry Little Big Planet in UI.

I liked the idea that two worlds would be built into the Wii U, for free for every customer, then they would add an additional world (maybe 10 levels + boss + 10 new level editor options) per month. It would cost five dollars per month and would operate on a subscription basis. You could play with friends online or offline, and it would track how many unique online levels you have beaten giving you a ranking of sorts. It would be complex, but could be a very lucrative business model that lasts them the entire generation. I'd be happy if they re-used assets from NSMB if they want this route.

Mario Kart

This is a tricky one, but I do think a big boost in visuals would be cool. Also, the tablet allowing a rear-view mirror of sorts. Also give us an amazing orchestrated soundtrack. Why not pump production values sky high? The wii version outsold Galaxy 3:1.

Also, DLC, and lots of it. A new GP/classic GP + 2 characters every 6 months would keep me interested for an entire generation.

Kirby

God knows. This series can go any way with creative gameplay. I'd imagine something cool using the tablet.

nickcv

Interesting question, and one I've considered. The 2D Mario Bros, too, is something that I wonder how it will jump. Here is what I think.

New Super Mario Bros

Let people draw new levels with the tablet. Easy enough for kids. Select water than draw water. This will burry Little Big Planet in UI.

I liked the idea that two worlds would be built into the Wii U, for free for every customer, then they would add an additional world (maybe 10 levels + boss + 10 new level editor options) per month. It would cost five dollars per month and would operate on a subscription basis. You could play with friends online or offline, and it would track how many unique online levels you have beaten giving you a ranking of sorts. It would be complex, but could be a very lucrative business model that lasts them the entire generation. I'd be happy if they re-used assets from NSMB if they want this route.

Mario Kart

This is a tricky one, but I do think a big boost in visuals would be cool. Also, the tablet allowing a rear-view mirror of sorts. Also give us an amazing orchestrated soundtrack. Why not pump production values sky high? The wii version outsold Galaxy 3:1.

Also, DLC, and lots of it. A new GP/classic GP + 2 characters every 6 months would keep me interested for an entire generation.

Kirby

God knows. This series can go any way with creative gameplay. I'd imagine something cool using the tablet.

the day we'll see a level editor in super mario will be glorious
for our grand grand children

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I agree with ya man, I want the F-Zero world to expand for sure. I just don't know...did GX even crack 500k worldwide?

I'd rather see Mach Rider reinvented as an open world game, but with a mix of Road Rash chain whipping motorcycle action. It'd also be cool if the motorcycle had some simple platforming mechanics, like the ability to jump, skid crazily, and jump up and ride of the side of a building.

With the revival of Kid Icarus, i'm confident that even with moderate sales of the previous titles, they can consider such an expansion of F-Zero gameplay/universe for one game, a test to probe the market with a superhero/villain BTA Nintendo style, with all the racing part at the core obviously. It's far more likely that they will take the easy route of course, but it will be a missed opportunity, really.

And yay for Mach Rider x Road Rash ! A Knight Rider vibe + Mad Max + hilarious chain kicking of opponents from Road Rash, but with a more streamlined setting than yours, i keep the hub/open world thingy for F-Zero :p

I'm amazed at how many posts this thread has accumulated in two days

Should this indicate to me that this is the most hyped GAF console in a while, or it will it be the same deal when we are three months out from knowing anything at all about Nextbox/PS4?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
lol at the comments, goddamn french people are hard to please, because the actual interface will undoubtedly be uglier.

LOL, i didn't read them, the article is rather positive ("clear & classy"). But yeah, we like to moan and grumble :(

sorry :(

but...

but...

We make good food and have built Eiffel Tower, c'mon ! ><

hatchx

Banned
With the revival of Kid Icarus, i'm confident that even with moderate sales of the previous titles, they can consider such an expansion of F-Zero gameplay/universe for one game, a test to probe the market with a superhero/villain BTA Nintendo style, with all the racing part at the core of course. It's far more likely that they will take the easy route of course, but it will be a missed opportunity, really.

And yay for Mach Rider x Road Rash ! A Knight Rider vibe + Mad Max + chain punch from Road Rash, but with a more streamlined scenery than yours, i keep the hub/open world thingy for F-Zero :p

Yeah, Nintendo needs their own post-apocalyptic setting.

BlackJace

New Super Mario Bros

Mario Kart

Kirby

Thiiiiis guy has the right idea.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I don't think that's the only correct answer. I mean Sega did dev the best F-Zero, GX.

F-Zero GX is like going to a really expensive restaurant and ordering french toast, scambled eggs, bacon, and orange juice. Nintendo invented french toast in 1998. Now. Who do you think paid for that really expensive breakfast in 2003? That delicious stuff alongside the french toast.

No matter what team develops it today though. It be radically different team than whoever last developed it.

nickcv

i have to say that the chosen quote in the title was a setup XD

anyhow i told you guys that was the way it was going to end up!

F-Zero GX is like going to a really expensive restaurant and ordering french toast, scambled eggs, bacon, and orange juice. Nintendo invented french toast in 1998. Now. Who do you think paid for that really expensive breakfast in 2003? That delicious stuff alongside the french toast.

No matter what team develops it today though. It be radically different team than whoever last developed it.

Cooking Mama WiiU hints? I read and decoded

LOL, i didn't read them, the article is rather positive ("clear & classy"). But yeah, we like to moan and grumble :(

sorry :(

but...

but...

We make good food and have built Eiffel Tower, c'mon ! ><
your people have much to make up for, and it's your duty to take initiative.

hint
hint

So what is a reasonable expectation to have as far as first-party game reveals at E3?

Right now, I'm expecting at least a Mario and Smash Bros. trailer. It just makes sense to show off Mario in HD first (if we're not counting the Zelda tech demo) followed by a glimpse of all the major players at once via Smash.

Right?

shnord

Neo Member
I took pride in keeping up with the previous threads pretty well even if I didn't post much, but I'm having trouble keeping up now. It's too tiring for me! *passes out*

So tasty.

Which reminds me, I asked this a while ago in the previous thread but got no response (unless I missed it) so I'll ask again: Do we know for sure that the bird demo really is rendering the scene twice? Whenever the bird flies somewhere else, the subscreen view simply fades into the next area. It's possible the subscreen view is just a looping panoramic video, or even a panoramic image with sprites (ie the petals) and water effects overlayed. Or certain regions of the image are smaller looping animations. Stuff like that.

P.S. Wave Race would be crazy with water as shown in the CryEngine video that was posted a little ways back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTCTlLhzNTc&t=3m42s

P.P.S....

...I just wanted to say P.P.S.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wasn't it like this too for the DS and the Wii?

Didn't a lot of people on GAF expected it to fail and they succeeded like no other console?

(I wasn't on GAF at the time.)

Roo

Mario Kart

Oh God no...
I'm glad they're not giving signs about whoring DLC
and I hope they stay that way...
if anything... for free

Good thing they didn't do DLC for MK7

Top Bottom