• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Yamato 23

Even if you might have some certain feelings about the opening of the episode, the rest of the episode is such a fucking ride that by the end of the episode, it feels like the entire rules of the series and of old fans' expectations of the franchise have just gone out the window.

Why can't it be Sunday?!

I forget, did you ever watch the original 1974 series?

Jex

You talking to me or madp (or both since I have similar tastes to him)? Either way, don't sweat it. If I got bothered by anything back then, it was my own fault and was probably just a side-effect of where my life was at that point. Besides, it's not like I was the best at responding to criticism or the tastes of others 3 years ago (god, has it really been that long?). Eventually, I just decided to have fun with it and created that monocle/mustache list. That was more productive than getting worked up over opinions on Japanese cartoons.

I also doubt madp has a problem with you. You post some very well-thought out stuff, and I know he respects that regardless of individual tastes, as do I.

Specifically you as I don't believe I've really commented on MadPierrot's tastes (either in a positive or negative light).

Edit: Whoops, double post. I keep forgetting that this isn't the thread with 1 new post per second anymore.

I guess I won't watch the original anime seasons and instead read the original manga before the move/name change to another magazine. It'll probably be tomorrow as I've got a buddy coming over in 10 minutes to do co-op graces f.

cajunator

Banned

Nice stuff coming out for KlK. Im reasonably hyped now.

If the bottom of its mouth is the skirt and means its tongue rests next to her… OH MY GOD!

Of course it does. The tongue has to go somewhere!

Cake Lovers Unite!

itadakimasu~

yummy cakey

Wrong Yuno. (Though at least the correct Yuno also appears on the page!)

I approve of the inclusion of Servant x Service under Favorite Anime.

There is no wrong yuno!

Project X Zone 1-41 (END)

lWruBlh.jpg

We don't have Samurai-Cowgirls, unfortunately.

So I spent a better part of 50 hours doing the same thing over and over again, which was doing super neato combos and whatnot. It eventually drove me crazy because the battles in like 3/4 of the game are TOO FUCKING LONG and I never want to play them ever again. There were lots of cute girls and gratuitous butts and boobs so it wasn't a complete waste.

SUPER OFFICIAL BEST GIRL LIST:

Xiaomu = Erica > Saya > Kaguya > Neneko > KOS-MOS = T-elos > Estelle > Tron Bonne > Devilotte > everyone else from games I haven't played or don't really care about

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

So I spent a better part of 50 hours doing the same thing over and over again, which was doing super neato combos and whatnot. It eventually drove me crazy because the battles in like 3/4 of the game are TOO FUCKING LONG and I never want to play them ever again. There were lots of cute girls and gratuitous butts and boobs so it wasn't a complete waste.

Xiamou = Erica > Saya > Kaguya > Neneko > KOS-MOS = T-elos > Estelle > Tron Bonne > Devilotte > everyone else from games I haven't played or don't really care about

I can agree to this.

cajunator

Banned
It did, but you're not going to like it. :(

https://twitter.com/samumenco/status/377291566248783872/photo/1

Here's the cover for the ED single of Samurai Flamenco:

LjsVGYx.jpg

I like but do not love these designs. They are pleasing but nothing special.

HOLY SHIT. I envisioned an idea like this before but I seriously never thought it would be possible. This is going to open up so much potential for amazing stuff.

Xiamou = Erica > Saya > Kaguya > Neneko > KOS-MOS = T-elos > Estelle > Tron Bonne > Devilotte > everyone else from games I haven't played or don't really care about

Erica is some unfair goddess level of cuteness.
Its kind of ridiculous.

cajunator

Banned
Finally hit home?

I can relate. the show doesnt actually affect me like it seems to affect others. more like "yeah Ive been there Tomo, hang in there".

Definitely see some of my old self in her though. The show doesnt make me cringe though. Its more like just a reflection on how I used to be and how much I changed from it. Its fascinating.

Mr.Jeff

The thing that makes The Natural episodes different is that it's about the world and the characters living in it rather than the larger arc about how the three leads become Singles. That's not to say that I don't like The Animation or The Origination, but it's nice to see them just *be* without having to worry about their exams and so forth.

That said, The Natural is also when it gets fairly
supernatural with the Cait Sith stuff
, so... there's that. lol
Oh no I get that but the problem is that a lot of the antics blend into each because there's no progression. It either goes off on a supernatural tangent, quietly melancholy or it's comedy highjinks with some moral lesson at the end. There's nothing wrong with that but it's 26 episodes of it with little to no variation.

In the other series you have the same style of show but because it progresses to some form of conclusion it feels like a more cohesive show.

Just wait until you experience Izayoi/cuilan time! lol
Cuilan's mostly harmless and drops in links into a conversation which he doesn't necessarily expect comments to. Izayoi is busy in the middle of NTR trist so hasn't been spamming anything.

Xiaomu = Erica > Saya > Kaguya > Neneko > KOS-MOS = T-elos > Estelle > Tron Bonne > Devilotte > everyone else from games I haven't played or don't really care about

That reminds me, I should watch the Yumeria (never played the game) anime because Neneko is adorable.

Jex

Naw, just the movies. But I know what happens in S1 and S2 and this series rides the line between remake and reboot pretty carefully. No one really knows how this will end, at least!

Yeah there's actually a pretty large number of fairly clever changes despite the fact that at first it appears to be an almost literal remake. The original series is fairly painful to sit through thanks to the dry direction, thin characters, cartoony villains and slow overall plot progression. Some of the changes are clearly their to catch old fans out and keep them on their toes while most of the changes flesh out the protagonists/antagonists/story/crew.

All these changes don't just make it superior to the original though, they go as far as to make it a legitimately excellent series in it's own right. I'm also impressed by the variety of story-types the show manages to explore e.g.
the episode which takes place entirely inside a variety of hallucinations.

Then, of course, there's the fanservice.

Upotte!! 6

This went places... AGAIN! Seems like watching this has paid off after all!

Which led a train reaction of two guns being in lesbians with FNC, Aug (lol Augu~), and Sig.

And Galil is here and attached to another gir-- I mean gun.

cajunator

Banned
Upotte!! 6

Which led a train reaction of two guns being in lesbians with FNC, Aug (lol Augu~), and Sig.

FNC is just the best. Definitely the cutest.
Its all faux yuri though.

Joe Molotov

Upotte!! 6

Gun registration? Silly Japan, don't you know that only leads to tyranny?

cajunator

Banned
Has anyone noticed the weird way that NISA labels their artboxes? Some of the titles are facing the left and some facing right. It looks weird side by side.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah there's actually a pretty large number of fairly clever changes despite the fact that at first it appears to be an almost literal remake. The original series is fairly painful to sit through thanks to the dry direction, thin characters, cartoony villains and slow overall plot progression. Some of the changes are clearly their to catch old fans out and keep them on their toes while most of the changes flesh out the protagonists/antagonists/story/crew.

All these changes don't just make it superior to the original though, they go as far as to make it a legitimately excellent series in it's own right. I'm also impressed by the variety of story-types the show manages to explore e.g.
the episode which takes place entirely inside a variety of hallucinations.

Then, of course, there's the fanservice.

The fanservice really is the one thing that stands at as unnecessary. But, that's how you make anime for a 2013 audience I suppose.
(The less said about the OP they use for the TV broadcast, the better.)

But yeah, it's really perfect because it has classic science fiction stories like the one you mentioned that are somewhat episodic, but has a throughline that is actually interesting and serialized without relying on TWEEEEEESTS. The fact that the one "big" twist is something that all the old fans would have known anyway - and ends up being fairly downplayed - is great. The fact that the humans aren't all perfect is great too... in fact, Shawn Ryan tried to do that exact same premise in a TV show last year and failed miserably at it, and he's one of the "auteurs" of television!

In an age where reboot typically means shit (thanks JJ Abrams), Yamato really becomes something special with this update.

Oh no I get that but the problem is that a lot of the antics blend into each because there's no progression. It either goes off on a supernatural tangent, quietly melancholy or it's comedy highjinks with some moral lesson at the end. There's nothing wrong with that but it's 26 episodes of it with little to no variation.

In the other series you have the same style of show but because it progresses to some form of conclusion it feels like a more cohesive show.
I guess it depends on what you are in for. I personally like the world building and the :firehawk, so that probably tickles my fancy more than it would someone else. The characters, as Singles, are more confident than when they were just trainees, but they're still not ready to graduate and think about the future yet.

Cuilan's mostly harmless and drops in links into a conversation which he doesn't necessarily expect comments to. Izayoi is busy in the middle of NTR trist so hasn't been spamming anything.
Izayoi is NTRing Tera or whatever with FF14. lol

Your list is missing too many good girls..
Well You put xiaomu in top so i'll forgive you.

Upotte!! 5

Well that went "places".

I mean shit. She's nuts.

Nuts ? Are you sure ? Maybe she is the only normal character in a sea of crazy ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom