• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Lebron said:
Nah, Nicki Minaj hah.
is she really? I don't see that in her wiki bio. I see Indian - Trinidad roots.

but I'll take your word for it.

btw, I like her real last name much more than "Minaj". Maraj (pronounced "Mirage", i assume) sounds much cooler. less like you're hoping someone attached a sexual connotation to your personhood.

Lebron

I just seem to recall reading her mother had some Chinese ancestry. Though that entire population is pretty ethnically mixed as far as ancestry goes, so not surprised.

The point is, I could not make a deal with her. Now Kimora Lee? Samson couldn't hold me back.

Imm0rt4l

Lebron said:
I just seem to recall reading her mother had some Chinese ancestry. Though that entire population is pretty ethnically mixed as far as ancestry goes, so not surprised.

The point is, I could not make a deal with her. Now Kimora Lee? Samson couldn't hold me back.
oh she could get it.

Fox the Sly

spindashing said:
http://imgur.com/LMuId.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://imgur.com/ZTfcm.jpg[IMG]

damn.[/QUOTE]

Daaamn! :D

[QUOTE=spindashing]
and for halloween...

Ciara dressed up as Storm from the X-Men ... which accidentally looks like Nicki Minaj..

[IMG]http://imgur.com/XIH0I.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

...eh.

[QUOTE=Dreams-Visions]you know, this happened to me once. Freshman year, high school. I was at the mall with mom looking at...some shit, I dunno. Anyway, as we're walking around, I spot this specimen. hazel eyes. Body like you'd see in a babe thread. Everything was right. she was wearing a full length, skin-tight aqua blue dress. I'll never forget it. She was also with her mother...turned out her father was black, mom white. She was like...the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen. I subsequently followed her around the mall for probably 20 minutes before going into an emergency council session with my mom.

"Hey mom...I need you to do me a favor.......

...I need you to go and find a way to start a conversation with that girl's mom. About anything, I don't care what...I just need an excuse to meet her..."

Mom held me down like the very best of wingmen. Scored the digits. At the time, I was really too scared to do anything with them but we became good friends when she transferred to my high school. she was also a 4.0+ honor student and cheerleader. but brahs...she was so fine, I pinch myself to this day about her. Natural beauty. She won a few beauty contests, pledged AKA and is now married in Chicago. I think she works as a news anchor or something and I check in on her every now and then. but she was the only girl I literally stopped and followed...just to get more glimpses. :lol

edit: found a pic

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/29xxm4k.jpg

Wow...! *right-click, save as...*

DY_nasty said:
My grandma is laughing about something. No doubt I've fucked up somehow. May as well go out like a G... "Grandma, who was that girl that was sitting in front me? Was that so&so's new wife?" (I thought I was slick) "Oh nooooooooo baby. You remember Reggie right? He's the churches replacement drummer right now."

That's my name. :D

On another note, is Black Christian GAF aware that the Sabbath is not Sunday, but rather Saturday? And that Sunday worship dates back to the ancient Babylonian worship of the sun?

Dreams-Visions said:
I'm in the same boat: 30, fairly successful I'd say, no kids, debt-free, single as a Wendy's burger. prime target, I guess. But it's funny to observe.

You sound just like me bra minus the dept free part ( I spend way too much money on frivolous things), but I did meet this fine ass Turkish chick this past week so hopefully that goes well :D

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Fox the Sly said:
On another note, is Black Christian GAF aware that the Sabbath is not Sunday, but rather Saturday? And that Sunday worship dates back to the ancient Babylonian worship of the sun?
I dare you to step to the altar and say it.

Better yet, grab the mic and tell everyone the truth about Christmas.

Fox the Sly

DY_nasty said:
I dare you to step to the altar and say it.

Better yet, grab the mic and tell everyone the truth about Christmas.

Oh man... not to get off-topic from fly ass sistas, but John 15:18-21. :lol

Fox the Sly said:

You wanna walk into church and say that shit? :lol
Even if it is technically true, you don't want a phalanx of old black women in big-ass hats trying to drop your casket that Sunday, bro.

Also, I think this blasian stop-and-stare thing is law or something.
When I was 18, me and my boy (also 18) were walking in East Flatbush, Brooklyn from a Staples (by Tilden and Flatbush) carrying a box with an office chair he bought for his room. We saw this blasian chick - about 5 foot 10 inches tall, slender with the clearest skin, epic titties out of a low-cut blouse, curvy hips you could drift around and crash on, this wavy golden brown afro and these eyes that I can't even explain - and we got stuck staring at her so, so hard that:

- my boy stopped short and stumbled on the curb
- I walked right into the lamppost/street sign post on the crosswalk corner and broke my glasses...which then caused us to spin around and swing the box into the sidewalk.

The woman was amongst a bunch of people that laughed at us.
I took a bow and laughed too. I don't give a fuck; that was probably the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen to that date...and if there was a way I could extract the image from my brain right now, I'd wager she's probably still up there in the rankings too.

Black x Asian is a hell of a mix.

DY_nasty

captmcblack said:
Black x Asian is a hell of a mix.
Best mix.

I really need to just sit down one day and spend a few hours to locate the blasian capital of the world...

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Himuro said:
Next Fox the Sly thread: "I just got home from the hospital after being jumped by people at my church"

"Hey bros, how do you remove a church hat from your spinal column?"

Lebron said:
Really? I have to be the one that post the Denyce Lawton picture? *sigh* Ok
http://imgur.com/TTl6O.jpg

Those Blasians...
2yxniw2.gif

I have a question for Black GAF...

Have any of yall been to the mother lands??? I'm going with some family friends to Ghana next summer... I have never been nor do I have any real Ghanaian roots. How should I prepare my self? I uncomfortable around my people as it is... now ill be around Africans. :lol :lol :lol ( I have been raised around whites, and asians all my life... somethings just don't come easy to me) :lol

Lebron

I looked at this girls pictures so much I've developed a headache..

I would like to visit Egypt one day(Cairo, Thebes, Alexandria). Other than that, not really interested in anything else. America is my motherland like Pinko Marx said.

My motherland is Haiti - and I've been there before.

I'd love to go to Africa, though - I've dated a Kenyan girl before (bitch was crazy/possessive, but she took a dick like a champ) and an Ethiopian girl (she thought that I should be honored to breathe the same air in the same space as her, lol) before and they used to tell me stories about how awesome Africa is...so I'm curious.

DY_nasty

The only connection I have to Africa is some kind of blood disease that causes me to get migraines every once in a while...

I may go, but I won't be visiting my 'motherland'. I'd much rather go back to Alaska.

Imm0rt4l

DY_nasty said:
The only connection I have to Africa is some kind of blood disease that causes me to get migraines every once in a while...

I may go, but I won't be visiting my 'motherland'. I'd much rather go back to Alaska.
Sickle cell?

I believe my father has sickle cell, while I don't have it, I'm told I have resistance/immunity to malaria because it.

DY_nasty

Imm0rt4l said:
Sickle cell?

I believe my father has sickle cell, while I don't have it, I'm told I have resistance/immunity to malaria because it.
Naw, Thalassemia (not the severe, won't live past 30 w/o a blood transfusion kind though)

And because I worked out so much when I was younger, if I go a while without any kind of athletic activity and then try and hop back into the gym, I get crippling headaches.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
captmcblack said:
My motherland is Haiti - and I've been there before.

I'd love to go to Africa, though - I've dated a Kenyan girl before (bitch was crazy/possessive, but she took a dick like a champ) and an Ethiopian girl (she thought that I should be honored to breathe the same air in the same space as her, lol) before and they used to tell me stories about how awesome Africa is...so I'm curious.
My brother went back last year. Africa, has some of the nicest people.
And I might, inevitably have to too ( if am 25 and I still haven't settled down. lol).
Only the strongest of us can turn down a marriage proposal by a somali girl ( really, i gotta say, she was pretty damn hot. I think I still have the picture somewhere here....). All I have to do is call the number, agree to the thing..and I'm set. But I won't. For some reason, I can't.

I might cave though.

Lebron

http://generation-x.net/viewVideo.php?video_id=4718&title=SELLOUT_AND_THE_BLACK_COMMUNITY

Thoughts? I know with my parents and my Uncle they're seen as the "sellouts" in the family since they made it out the hood and are living in the suburbs. A few of my cousins get on us too about it, like we should feel bad we were born in the suburbs or something. I'm like, what the flipping fuck, hah. There seems to be some mindset that if you make it out of the hood you're a sellout, or if you make it out and don't comeback often or some shit. Anyone else had experience with this?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Himuro said:
What is your opinion of arrange marriages, Veidt?
Depends on the type.

We don't really have arranged marriages in our culture ( as in, you are to be wed to someone from the moment you're born). Neither can there be a marriage without the consent of both parties involved.
So I'm pretty much on a no-no. And most African countries are like this.

However, the family tends to steer you in a direction. You'll have your parents sometimes tell you of a certain girl they know or your cousin will tell you she wants to hook you up with a friend of hers ( while your parents are secretly behind it all!).

A have a Bengali friend, her parents don't even want her to study, and have already arranged her for marriage to someone. That's asian culture. Poor girl started going on about how African Muslims tend to be more liberal in things (though this is generally true) or as she put it "the perfect mix of culture and religion". Forced marriage is forbidden in Islam by the way. It's just that in some countries, the culture dominates the religion.

http://imgur.com/Ffd5v.jpg
Black GAF, that is me by the way, nice to meet you all.

Lebron said:

Those Blasians...

This is some cheat code shit. I like my women top-heavy, so she's already an A+

Some choose to live there, but they're not ignorant people or anything, they just lack the money or they prefer living where they lived their whole life. Nothing wrong with that.

I think the older generation treats stuff like this with tad more respect and doesn't treat being successful with selling out.

But quite honestly, I've always preferred the hood and inner city living to suburb living. Suburbs are so fucking fake and full of vapid ass people.

I think it depends on where you are, I hate the hood because you can always tell when you hit that shit. Streets get rockier, you start to see mini-marts with rims, DVD guy and his blanket, the busted-ass chinese food (hit or miss), etc We live in a better area now, not going back. We both want a house with a yard, where you must drive miles to see a 7-11.

Of course, women skew all this. Once dated a girl who lived off Crenshaw, straight hood, even though she was worth it in spades--got eyed pretty hard the first 3 times I came to get her. Same with a gorgeous latina that lived in LB.

I know that suburbs can be fake, but the quietness is what I appreciate more.

Different story, how many times you go to see the hot movie and have it ruined?
Fox Hills, I remember going to see a movie with a friend of mine there (he had no idea what he was getting into), and listening to a full 2 hours of shouts at the screen and babies crying and sheer stupidity. I was laughing so hard--that was the last time we went to that theater.

Fox the Sly

Himuro said:
Fox the Sly is staring the sun in the face. DON'T BRING THAT SHIT UP TO BLACK PEOPLE THEY DON'T WANNA HEAR IT MAYNE

Trust me, I know. :lol

captmcblack said:
You wanna walk into church and say that shit? :lol
Even if it is technically true, you don't want a phalanx of old black women in big-ass hats trying to drop your casket that Sunday, bro.

I don't go to church anymore. Instead of going to a church and disrupting their service I'd just set up my own makeshift camp somewhere and teach.

Himuro said:
Next Fox the Sly thread: "I just got home from the hospital after being jumped by people at my church"
DrFunk said:
"Hey bros, how do you remove a church hat from your spinal column?"

:lol :lol :lol

On a serious note, if you ain't ready to die for the truth (or whatever is it you believe in) then you ain't fit to live. Christ and many of his disciples were put to death and I'm no greater than them. Too many dudes is soft these days and letting women hen-peck them, it's damned shame. That's not a dig at any of you btw, but I see it all the time in my day to day. smh

Veidt, are you Ethiopian?

Lebron said:

Those Blasians...
I know I will get flamed but I don't find homegirl appealing. Sure she has boobs and I love the asian + black mix but something about her doesn't sit right about me, I dunno.

And as far as going to my motherland, I've been to Haiti 3 times in my life. I'd like to go to Africa someday too.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
pages and pages of women.. sigh... I love me women.... love asians.. blacks.. and blasians but is that all we are reduced to now?

SnakeSlashRO said:
I have a question for Black GAF...

Have any of yall been to the mother lands??? I'm going with some family friends to Ghana next summer... I have never been nor do I have any real Ghanaian roots. How should I prepare my self? I uncomfortable around my people as it is... now ill be around Africans. :lol :lol :lol ( I have been raised around whites, and asians all my life... somethings just don't come easy to me) :lol

How to prepare yourself?
Music-wise: Get acquainted with British hiphop and grime: thats what all the clubs will be playing.
People-wise: People will be friendly. Exaggerate your accent and the friendliness will increase, just be careful with how you get charged for food. A couple of relatives have dropped too much money when buying food or the touristy stuff. Haggle your brains out, because they'll try and pull a fast one on you.
If you have any more questions or need more info, PM me

BlackNMild2k1 said:
I can feel my heart beating in my dick.

dot, feather or both?

I'm assuming you mean Native American Indian and not Far East Indian.

No, I mean Indians from India.

magnificent83 said:
Music-wise: Get acquainted with British hiphop and grime: thats what all the clubs will be playing.

Dizzee Rascal is my shit.

Lebron said:
http://generation-x.net/viewVideo.php?video_id=4718&title=SELLOUT_AND_THE_BLACK_COMMUNITY

Thoughts? I know with my parents and my Uncle they're seen as the "sellouts" in the family since they made it out the hood and are living in the suburbs. A few of my cousins get on us too about it, like we should feel bad we were born in the suburbs or something. I'm like, what the flipping fuck, hah. There seems to be some mindset that if you make it out of the hood you're a sellout, or if you make it out and don't comeback often or some shit. Anyone else had experience with this?
I've not experienced that, no.

DY_nasty

Fortunately, most of my family 'made it out' before the stigma really took root. There's still a lot of old thinking in some parts of my family though. I told one of my aunts that I was out of school, looking for an internship and she immediately went to old Jimmy about working some crops for a few months. I wanted to slap her... In high school, I got a lot more of it as an individual though.

Just got back from helping out my grandmother at the polls this evening. This divide between generations is just tiresome for me now. Of course I'd be the only young black male there and I would be even dumber by showing up wearing this army shirt so every angle there was to pitch was pitched at me. This one old woman (had to be in her 80s), black, pulled me aside twice to tell me how happy she was to see me in the community helping out blah blah blah I have a daughter who has plenty of other daughters (Yeah, I said wtf. She just tried to put ALL of her clan on me at once) but then she went on about getting me a job until I deployed. Laughed it off... just glad she wasn't one of those aggressive, persistent old folks.

Voting was at a middle school so I was stuck around some of the kids, girls basketball practice just got out... holy fuck, raise your fucking kids, the last thing I want to hear while eating my food is a bunch of 14 yr old girls talking about which boy in gym class has the biggest dick and head game.

I want to help out a little more in the community out here, but I'm already getting more and more second thoughts about it. I've already been soured to 'helping out' after my experiences with volunteer work out in Charlotte. I really just want to lay low and be outta here.

DY_nasty said:
Fortunately, most of my family 'made it out' before the stigma really took root. There's still a lot of old thinking in some parts of my family though. I told one of my aunts that I was out of school, looking for an internship and she immediately went to old Jimmy about working some crops for a few months. I wanted to slap her... In high school, I got a lot more of it as an individual though.

Just got back from helping out my grandmother at the polls this evening. This divide between generations is just tiresome for me now. Of course I'd be the only young black male there and I would be even dumber by showing up wearing this army shirt so every angle there was to pitch was pitched at me. This one old woman (had to be in her 80s), black, pulled me aside twice to tell me how happy she was to see me in the community helping out blah blah blah I have a daughter who has plenty of other daughters (Yeah, I said wtf. She just tried to put ALL of her clan on me at once) but then she went on about getting me a job until I deployed. Laughed it off... just glad she wasn't one of those aggressive, persistent old folks.

Voting was at a middle school so I was stuck around some of the kids, girls basketball practice just got out... holy fuck, raise your fucking kids, the last thing I want to hear while eating my food is a bunch of 14 yr old girls talking about which boy in gym class has the biggest dick and head game.

I want to help out a little more in the community out here, but I'm already getting more and more second thoughts about it. I've already been soured to 'helping out' after my experiences with volunteer work out in Charlotte. I really just want to lay low and be outta here.

Way too common out here.

About the community, It's great work for those who can take it, but I am not one of them on the grassroots level.

Top Bottom