• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Man God said:
The only two N64 racing games left that I'd want to see both have liscensing issuues.

Episode One Podracer and BAR.

Bah, the N64 has dozens of amazing racing games. It's really great to see Cruis'n USA because I'm hoping its a sign of more Western developer support on the VC -- this is, I am pretty sure, the FIRST American-developed game on the VC! The only other Western titles are from Rare... so it's a great sign.

Of course, most third-party N64 games require controller paks to save, so this may not be a sign of that. Because the Cruis'n games were published by Nintendo, they have on-cart saving, unlike the rest of Midway's N64 games (with the single exception of Body Harvest). That is unfortunate. But even so, it's very good news... the N64 is the best racing game platform ever, and that certainly was not true just because of Wave Race, Mario Kart, 1080, and F-Zero (and BAR and Episode I Racer). It was also because of the Top Gear games, the Rush games, the Cruis'n games, Hydro Thunder, the Extreme-G games, Wipeout 64, etc, etc.

evilromero said:
Searching Youtube for some Wonder Boy vids. Man, Cruin'n? I can't wait till Midway is fully on board and gives us Rush.

The Rush games will require controller pak (memory card) support. We'll have to wait until Nintendo adds it for them.

Because yes, as much as I will defend the Cruis'n games for being fun arcade racing titles (and they are), they aren't anywhere near as great as the Rush games are. Even so, Cruis'n is fun... but $10 is a lot for the first one.

Not to ruin anyone's parade, but until we see Dracula X stumble onto pce or some other announcement, THE GAME AINT IN OUR HANDS YET. I'm seeing a whole lot of "yes finally Dracula X is here!" but what's to say the game comes out in Japan and then is nowhere on the horizon for NA?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
A Black Falcon said:
Because the Cruis'n games were published by Nintendo, they have on-cart saving, unlike the rest of Midway's N64 games (with the single exception of Body Harvest).
I sooooo want Body Harvest. I rented it once and never got very far, but I think I'd appreciate it much more now.

RedBoot

Should have launched SMS with Fantasy Zone instead of Wonder Boy. Or hell, launch with both plus Crusin', to mirror (kinda) the European releases.

I do hope that other SMS games will be 400 like Sega announced. I can see it with Wonder Boy since it is the same as Adventure Island, but the rest should be 400.

Ranger X

Iam Canadian said:
Besides, didn't Super Mario Bros. 3 have a similar chip?

Yeah it had a chip 'cause samples could be heard in the music. Castlevania3 though is using a custom mapper by Konami that is a bit more advanced than other NES games and there's also a chip for its sound. Nintendo probably need some assistance from Konami on emulating this one properly and maybe Konami didn't took time to help yet or didn't bother.

Also, the reason why we have shit sound in the US version is because for some reason no custom stuff was allowed to release here at the time. We also got an inferior version of Contra because the Jap version had custom stuff.

Meesh

With Castlevania X due on Japans VC soon, is it a far cry to hope for FF4 and FF6 sometime in the futute?

Hey, even though I already own them, I wouldn't mind flushing more money down the crapper just to play them on the VC.

BooJoh

Evilink said:
With Castlevania X due on Japans VC soon, is it a far cry to hope for FF4 and FF6 sometime in the futute?

Hey, even though I already own them, I wouldn't mind flushing more money down the crapper just to play them on the VC.
I wouldn't say it's a far cry...

More of a pipe dream, or maybe a fanboy delusion.

Ranger X said:
Yeah it had a chip 'cause samples could be heard in the music. Castlevania3 though is using a custom mapper by Konami that is a bit more advanced than other NES games and there's also a chip for its sound. Nintendo probably need some assistance from Konami on emulating this one properly and maybe Konami didn't took time to help yet or didn't bother.

Also, the reason why we have shit sound in the US version is because for some reason no custom stuff was allowed to release here at the time. We also got an inferior version of Contra because the Jap version had custom stuff.

What I've read is that the sound thing is because the US system actually doesn't have the correct pins to support the additional chips needed for custom sound hardware... they removed those pins from the US NES and instead added pins directly connecting the cartridge port to the expansion port underneath the system.

... yeah, lots of good that did!

(This makes me wonder about games like the Japanese Castlevania 3 when played in US NES systems via cartridge adapters... would the sound work properly in them? The Wikipedia article, for instance, doesn't mention if there are any compatibility problems like that... it just mentions the removal of the pins. It seems that there should be problems, but I just don't know.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_System

#
# 60-pin vs. 72-pin cartridges. The original Famicom and the re-released AV Family Computer both utilized a 60-pin cartridge design, which resulted in smaller cartridges than the NES, which utilized a 72-pin design. Four pins were used for the 10NES lockout chip.[29] Ten pins were added that connected a cartridge directly to the expansion port on the bottom of the unit. Finally, two pins that allowed cartridges to provide their own sound expansion chips were removed. Many early games (such as Stack-Up) released in North America were simply Famicom cartridges attached to an adapter (such as the T89 Cartridge Converter) to allow them to fit inside the NES hardware. Nintendo did this to reduce costs and inventory by using the same cartridge boards in North America and Japan.

bridegur

Cruisin' USA? Good grief, what a sham. Is there any chance Beetle Adventure Racing will ever be released on the VC, or will the licensing issues keep it off?

A Black Falcon said:
What I've read is that the sound thing is because the US system actually doesn't have the correct pins to support the additional chips needed for custom sound hardware... they removed those pins from the US NES and instead added pins directly connecting the cartridge port to the expansion port underneath the system.

(This makes me wonder about games like the Japanese Castlevania 3 when played in US NES systems via cartridge adapters... would the sound work properly in them? The Wikipedia article, for instance, doesn't mention if there are any compatibility problems like that... it just mentions the removal of the pins. It seems that there should be problems, but I just don't know.)

Tried it years ago, and none of the extra sound channel music made it through. Thank goodness for my AV Famicom.

That bit about the 10 pins connecting to the expansion slot at the expense of the 2 for the extra sound chip stuff is juicy if not puzzling.

cartman414 said:
Tried it years ago, and none of the extra sound channel music made it through. Thank goodness for my AV Famicom.

That's what I thought. Any games with additional sound chips wouldn't work correctly in a US system. That's too bad...

That bit about the 10 pins connecting to the expansion slot at the expense of the 2 for the extra sound chip stuff is juicy if not puzzling.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy (and unfortunate)... what in the world were they going to attach to the thing? I mean, especially given that those 10 pins didn't exist on the Japanese Famicom? Significant loss with absolutely no gain... :(

DavidDayton said:
Wait... should we assume the 500 is a typo? I thought we were told 400 in a prior press release....
You know, we definitely have had typos in Nintendo's PR before. My memory is hazy, but wasn't TMNT originally listed at 500 Wii Points and then ended up being 600? I won't be totally convinced that the game isn't 400 points until it's posted on the Shop Channel for 500 points. Maybe Chris and Eileen aren't up to speed on Master System pricing. :lol

RedBoot said:
Should have launched SMS with Fantasy Zone instead of Wonder Boy. Or hell, launch with both plus Crusin', to mirror (kinda) the European releases.
Yeah, for purposes of global symmetry at least, it should've been two Master System titles + Cruisin' USA. Black Belt and Fantasy Zone are already out in Japan, so it really shouldn't have been too much extra hassle. Sorta pitiful. But NoA seems pretty locked in to two games a week now.

EphemeralDream said:
Not to ruin anyone's parade, but until we see Dracula X stumble onto pce or some other announcement, THE GAME AINT IN OUR HANDS YET. I'm seeing a whole lot of "yes finally Dracula X is here!" but what's to say the game comes out in Japan and then is nowhere on the horizon for NA?
Given the rate that import titles are making it to our shores, your post is probably a needed corrective. Unless Hudson and/or Konami realize how wanted the game is (I would hope both companies would, but you never know), it might be quite a while before the game ends up North America and/or Europe.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I'd expect Dracula X almost solely on the grounds that Hudson seems to actually know what its fans want, and Konami has been supporting the Virtual Console pretty heavily. Besides, even if they don't use the Dracula X Chronicles translation, it's not like the text is really that critical anyway.

If I had known Wonder Boy would hit VC I wouldn't have bought Adventure Island all that time ago. :p

Still, I'm just happy we'll see 2 eventually (soon hopefully!)

Ranger X

A Black Falcon said:

Oh shit so we received a "gimped" NES?? WOW, i seriously didn't know that. I wonder if it's the real real thing that happened...

Anyhow, maybe they favored the port under the machine because they though the NES disks (or whatever they were called) woud take off...

jarrod

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Bah, the N64 has dozens of amazing racing games. It's really great to see Cruis'n USA because I'm hoping its a sign of more Western developer support on the VC -- this is, I am pretty sure, the FIRST American-developed game on the VC! The only other Western titles are from Rare... so it's a great sign.
Nope, though it's the first American N64 game.

Other American VC releases include...

Comix Zone (GEN) Sega Technical Institute
Eternal Champions (GEN) Sega interActive
Kid Chameleon (GEN) Sega Technical Institute
Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball (GEN) Sega Technical Institute
ToeJam & Earl (GEN) Johnson Voorsanger Productions
ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron (GEN) Johnson Voorsanger Productions
Vectorman (GEN) BlueSky Software

...and other non-RARE western made games...

Ecco Jr. (GEN) Novotrade Interactional
Ecco the Dolphin (GEN) Novotrade Interactional
Ecco: The Tides of Time (GEN) Novotrade Interactional
International Karate (C64) System3
Mega Turrican (GEN) Factor 5
Super Turrican (SNES) Factor 5
Sonic 3D Blast (GEN) Traveller's Tales
Uridium (C64) Graftgold

...and finally co-developed east/west games...

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (GEN) Compile/Sega interActive
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GEN) Sonic Team/Sega Technical Institute

Capndrake

neight said:
Does anyone know if Mega Man is going to make it onto VC? Why is it on Europe's VC but not in the US...
box-l.jpg

JSnake

Okay, second world of DoReMi. I get to this level on the board which is really just a house and some old man yells at me with moon runes and my little guy gtfos and now what. :(

Somnid

I noticed the photo channel 1.1 is under code HAZA in the US (though it doesn't look like there are pictures there). Does Europe and Japan use the 'A' region code as well?

Jiggy

JSnake said:
Okay, second world of DoReMi. I get to this level on the board which is really just a house and some old man yells at me with moon runes and my little guy gtfos and now what. :(
You have to go back and get all the musical notes from the levels that still have stars on them.
Edit: The super special musical notes that incite the little animation thingy, where there's only one per level. >_>

neight said:
I know about that. I had thought the games in those used a blur filter but apparently only the Gamecube version does this. I'll get the Xbox version.
I have both versions and they look almost the same. What's the story on this blue filter?

neight

Banned
The Lamonster said:
I have both versions and they look almost the same. What's the story on this blue filter?
The Gamecube version supposedly has a blur filter to make them easier to look at. Like the sprites in Puzzle Fighter HD. The character sprites in Puzzle Fighter HD are filtered through a blur filter so that it won't look pixellated in HD.

Where I'm getting my info from about Mega Man Anniversary on GCN. Wiki for Mega Man 7. Don't know if the rest of the games have this blur too. The main Wiki for Mega Man Anniversary only makes a general comment about the blur.
# In the Nintendo GameCube version, the screen looks blurry. It is an anti-aliasing technique. The PlayStation 2 and Xbox versions do not use this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_7#Port

JSnake said:
Try reading the manual
PS you don't have to collect all the musical notes, Jiggy37 is just trying to mislead you.

neight said:
The Gamecube version supposedly has a blur filter to make them easier to look at. Like the sprites in Puzzle Fighter HD. The character sprites in Puzzle Fighter HD are filtered through a blur filter so that it won't look all pixellated in HD.

Where I'm getting my info from about Mega Man Anniversary on GCN. Wiki for Mega Man 7. Don't know if the rest of the games have this blur too. The main Wiki for Mega Man Anniversary only makes a general comment about the blur.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_7#Port
Interesting. I'm going to boot up both versions and compare. Except I'm going to use Mega Man 3 because I don't give a shit about MM7 or how it looks :lol

results in a few mins

Mega Man: Anniversary Collection running on Wii and 360 both connected to a 42" 1080p plasma TV via component cables

GameCube title screen
cubetitle.jpg

Xbox title screen
xboxtitle.jpg

GameCube gameplay
cubeneedleman.jpg

Xbox gameplay
xboxneedleman.jpg

GameCube menu
cubemenu.jpg

Xbox menu
xboxmenu.jpg

jarrod said:
Nope, though it's the first American N64 game.

Other American VC releases include...

Comix Zone (GEN) Sega Technical Institute
Eternal Champions (GEN) Sega interActive
Kid Chameleon (GEN) Sega Technical Institute
Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball (GEN) Sega Technical Institute
ToeJam & Earl (GEN) Johnson Voorsanger Productions
ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron (GEN) Johnson Voorsanger Productions
Vectorman (GEN) BlueSky Software

...and other non-RARE western made games...

Ecco Jr. (GEN) Novotrade Interactional
Ecco the Dolphin (GEN) Novotrade Interactional
Ecco: The Tides of Time (GEN) Novotrade Interactional
International Karate (C64) System3
Mega Turrican (GEN) Factor 5
Super Turrican (SNES) Factor 5
Sonic 3D Blast (GEN) Traveller's Tales
Uridium (C64) Graftgold

...and finally co-developed east/west games...

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (GEN) Compile/Sega interActive
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GEN) Sonic Team/Sega Technical Institute

Well, Mean Bean Machine is just a graphical alteration of a Japanese game, not really a true co-development... and the C64 games (and Mega Turrican) are Europe only. But yeah, if I'd been thinking I'd have remembered Super Turrican and the Sega games... I was mostly thinking of N64 games. Sega has done a good job of releasing its Western stuff here.

"The second Western-developed game for a Nintendo platform on the VC after Super Turrican (which is also a very recent release" would be accurate, though, and is almost as important... but all those Genesis games certainly are too.

Ranger X said:
Oh shit so we received a "gimped" NES?? WOW, i seriously didn't know that. I wonder if it's the real real thing that happened...

Anyhow, maybe they favored the port under the machine because they though the NES disks (or whatever they were called) woud take off...

One problem was the removal of the two pins that allowed extra sound via the cart port.

The pins were originally designed for the Famicom Disk System, I believe -- the FDS has additional sound features, and it attaches to the Famicom via the cart port. Those pins allow the connection. Obviously, they were planning for the US Disk System to attach to the bottom expansion port, and not trough the internal cart port (with the slot-loading cart port of the NES, that change would make sense). But we never got the Disk System, and the change removed the ability for mapper chips to use its features.

Also, though, Nintendo also didn't allow third-party companies to use their own mapper chips in the US or Europe, while in Japan third-party companies could not only use their own mappers, but actually manufacture carts. So Konami had a whole series of its own mappers in its Japanese games -- but the US versions had to remove those and use standard Nintendo mappers that were generally less powerful. So the US versions of a bunch of games were inferior -- Contra, Castlevania III, etc.

Somnid said:
I noticed the photo channel 1.1 is under code HAZA in the US (though it doesn't look like there are pictures there). Does Europe and Japan use the 'A' region code as well?

The only other exceptions I know of are import titles.

FAQN: Ninja JaJaMaru-kun
FB2N: Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
JCAN: DoReMi Fantasy
NAJN: Sin and Punishment

Jiggy

nincompoop said:
Try reading the manual
PS you don't have to collect all the musical notes, Jiggy37 is just trying to mislead you.
I forgot that musical notes were also the "100 to a 1up" thing. D: I'm talking about those special musical notes where there's one per stage. Don't know what they're called.

But eesh, that's a pretty horrible mistake of me to make. D: Sorry about that...

Somnid

Cheesemeister said:
The only other exceptions I know of are import titles.

FAQN: Ninja JaJaMaru-kun
FB2N: Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
JCAN: DoReMi Fantasy
NAJN: Sin and Punishment

I've noticed this too:

N = JP to NA
L = JP to PAL
M = NA to PAL

This is why I'm wondering if this 'A' region has counterparts for Japan and PAL or if it's possibly universal.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
The Lamonster said:
Mega Man: Anniversary Collection running on Wii and 360 both connected to a 42" 1080p plasma TV via component cables

Maybe its the angle you took the shots but the GCN ones do look a bit better :/

lsslave said:
Maybe its the angle you took the shots but the GCN ones do look a bit better :/
some of the lines in the energy bar are clumped together in the Xbox version. it also looks more stretched.

However, the Xbox version was sharper and more colorful - plus the controller feels better and is wireless (compared to the GameCube 4-5 ft wire, ugh)...so I decided to stick with the Xbox version in the future.

BooJoh

The Lamonster said:
some of the lines in the energy bar are clumped together in the Xbox version. it also looks more stretched.

However, the Xbox version was sharper and more colorful - plus the controller feels better and is wireless (compared to the GameCube 4-5 ft wire, ugh)...so I decided to stick with the Xbox version in the future.
In those shots, the GCN version actually looks more vibrant and colorful, but the sharpness of the Xbox version seems preferable. Xbox especially looks better on the title screen. But the stretching is just bad... shouldn't it be able to run in the native 256x224 NES resolution and look fine on any TV?

A Black Falcon said:
Well, Mean Bean Machine is just a graphical alteration of a Japanese game, not really a true co-development... and the C64 games (and Mega Turrican) are Europe only. But yeah, if I'd been thinking I'd have remembered Super Turrican and the Sega games... I was mostly thinking of N64 games. Sega has done a good job of releasing its Western stuff here.

"The second Western-developed game for a Nintendo platform on the VC after Super Turrican (which is also a very recent release" would be accurate, though, and is almost as important... but all those Genesis games certainly are too.

One problem was the removal of the two pins that allowed extra sound via the cart port.

The pins were originally designed for the Famicom Disk System, I believe -- the FDS has additional sound features, and it attaches to the Famicom via the cart port. Those pins allow the connection. Obviously, they were planning for the US Disk System to attach to the bottom expansion port, and not trough the internal cart port (with the slot-loading cart port of the NES, that change would make sense). But we never got the Disk System, and the change removed the ability for mapper chips to use its features.

Also, though, Nintendo also didn't allow third-party companies to use their own mapper chips in the US or Europe, while in Japan third-party companies could not only use their own mappers, but actually manufacture carts. So Konami had a whole series of its own mappers in its Japanese games -- but the US versions had to remove those and use standard Nintendo mappers that were generally less powerful. So the US versions of a bunch of games were inferior -- Contra, Castlevania III, etc.

Yep. Salamander, in addition to allowing a 3rd option over Life Force's 2, also came in a clear blue cart.

The VRC7, which was used in Lagrange Point, used an FM chip.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
All versions of MMAC look like ass. Compare any MMAC shot to the VC shots of MM or MM2, it's not even close.

That being said you can't really beat MMAC on value or the fact that it has legit ports of the two arcade games. You can even get used to shitty looping music and reversed buttons for the going price, which these days is somewhere between eight and twenty dollars US.

cartman414 said:
Yep. Salamander, in addition to allowing a 3rd option over Life Force's 2, also came in a clear blue cart.

The VRC7, which was used in Lagrange Point, used an FM chip.

The main question I can't find an answer for is, exactly which FC games have missing features when run in a NES... games with third-party mappers that use them for graphics and don't use the two sound pins would work fine in a NES. But which ones use the sound pins and which don't? Is there any way to tell short of trying the games in an actual NES?

BooJoh said:
In those shots, the GCN version actually looks more vibrant and colorful, but the sharpness of the Xbox version seems preferable. Xbox especially looks better on the title screen. But the stretching is just bad... shouldn't it be able to run in the native 256x224 NES resolution and look fine on any TV?
I intentionally stretched the Xbox version because I had no choice with the already stretched GameCube version. I wanted to make a good comparison - so the stretching thing shouldn't be an issue.

Top Bottom