• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official The Simpsons movie thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gowans007 said:
I thought it was OK, well good, as did my firneds, one bud loved it but we all agreed South Park the Movie was better by far :)

Not surprising. South Park the movie is the greatest musical ever created, is extremely poignant and is damn good as animated films go.

Larsen B

I think I've realised why this film didn't work at all for me, even on a basic level.

None of the jokes were grounded in reality or given enough depth to have a payoff. Random things happen for no reason other than "because this is funny!" The earliest seasons, the best seasons, made jokes to fit the plot. The film and latest seasons make a plot to fit the jokes.

Writer 1: Hey, wouldn't it be funny if Bart got
drunk
?
Writer 2: Haha, yeah, but why would he get
drunk
?
Writer 1: Er... because... he doesn't like Homer anymore?
Writer 2: But hasn't he not liked Homer before? And not got
drunk
?
Writer 1: I don't think that anyone who's watching this film will remember that.
Writer 2: You're right! And if we're being funny, let's have Schwarzenegger as President!
Writer 1: But isn't Rainier Wolfcastle our parody of Schwarenegger? Wouldn't McBain as President allude brilliantly to the idea of Governor Schwarznegger becoming the real President?
Writer 2: That sounds too complicated.
Writer 1: I confused myself there too. Hehe, get this: Homer puts
superglue
on his hands and
grabs his crotch
!
Writer 2: That's golden! He'd do that because he's such a dolt!

This is worse than the Phantom Menace for me.

Sanjuro

I don't care about the dislike for the film or the love. I'm seeing this due to the nostalgic greatness this show had and the importance it was of my life growing up. Was almost a daily activity after school watching Batman:TAS and then an hour block of The Simpsons. My parents are divorced so that meant weekends with the father. Would be dropped off Sunday night around seven-ish followed up by The Simpsons to basically start the week for me.

In all I'm alone very pleased with the postive reviews I have been hearing and the soundtrack I have sounds fantastic. Can't wait for tonight.

One question I need to ask. Is there any tribute to Phil Hartman at all with any of his characters in the film or say even the credits? I mentioned if this would be a good idea long time ago and people were upset at the idea. I however think it would be a really classy thing to do.

Atomic

Damn, everyone who dislikes it seems to be in the camp where they liked the earlier seasons but not the latter. I was really hoping returning writers would give the movie an old episode vibe more.

Wollan

I had a great time watching this movie tonight. Very short but for what it was it was good. Most funny scene was probably the one where the animals
watched the action take off between Homer & Marge. Their faces getting more distorted and disgusted.
Good times.

Blader

SanjuroTsubaki said:
One question I need to ask. Is there any tribute to Phil Hartman at all with any of his characters in the film or say even the credits? I mentioned if this would be a good idea long time ago and people were upset at the idea. I however think it would be a really classy thing to do.

I very much doubt that Hartman's characters are in the movie. The whole reason they were retired was out of respect for Phil Hartman.

Sanjuro

Blader5489 said:
I very much doubt that Hartman's characters are in the movie. The whole reason they were retired was out of respect for Phil Hartman.
Well Lionel Hutz is still on the show with a non-speaking role. I was thinking using archive footage of Troy McClure in the background or something. I know some people don't understand my reasoning, but I still believe he was the best contributor to the show.

Goldrusher

Larsen B said:
Yes, it does.

This ain't a penis:

b2.jpg

Rlan

Goldrusher said:
This ain't a penis:

b2.jpg

And that's not the point where they show it.

There is a point in the movie where Bart goes through a Garden, hiding his dick behind people, bushes, and sprinklers. Then he goes behind a fence where the ONLY thing you see of him is his penis.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
I seen this last night in the uk and I thought it was excellent. My jaw was sore at the end of the movie because I was laughing and grinning most of the time, the only other time that happened was borat.

Any questions feel free to ask.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I'm hopefully going to go and watch it tomorrow. I've read some bad things about the moviue from a couple of people in this thread, but its not getting my hopes down. I've got a feeling that I'm going to enjoy it.

Oh man. I want to go see this movie, but I'm really worried its just going to slam dunk the franchise into the dumpster for me. I'm such a huge fan of the first half of the simpsons' run. I'm going to be really disappointed if its just on family guy level.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Haters be darned... best movie I've seen this year after 300.

And yes, they show Bart's dick... which was in fact hilarious after they spent a minute hiding it

I give it a 8 out of 10. Just go watch it!

Fatalah

Atomic said:
Damn, everyone who dislikes it seems to be in the camp where they liked the earlier seasons but not the latter. I was really hoping returning writers would give the movie an old episode vibe more.

Me too. I checked the writings credentials of the "old writers" they brought back, and alot of their episodes were from like the late 90's. Not old ENOUGH.

FightyF

Banned
The issue I have with the "new Simpsons"...which is now like 10 years of Simpsons...is the fact that they don't focus on a meaningful show. Just a quick lame setup and punchline. Setup and punchline. There is no substance to the show.

There are no longer interesting situations. It almost seems as if the original episodes had a particular situation, and the hilarity came in seeing how the characters reacted. Now the episodes are "Lisa does something", "Marge does something", "Homer does something", etc.

Futurama remained consistently great because the characters are put into interesting situations and it's funny to see how they react and behave. Each episode has a storyline and there are elements of suspense, drama, and action.

When was the last time there was a moment of meaningful suspense in The Simpsons?

Again, the problem with The Simpsons can be summed up by 2 words, "No Substance".

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Every preview I've seen was not funny or witty in the least. Hopefully this is some new revers e psychology marketing that doesn't show you the actual funny stuff unless you watch the movie. Or something.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Put simply, this is 87 blistering minutes of pure, unadulterated, brilliant comedy gold, that stands up to the very best of the telly episodes and surpasses most of them.

What do they consider the 'very best of the telly episodes'?

BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh thank GOD, I felt like I had leprosy thinking that movie was pretty shit.

Oh you most certainly are not, sir. Farting in a pillow to give pinkeye does not a funny movie make.

Also, Somethingawful pretty much explain why the Simpsons is so mediocre nowadays (yeah it's old, but it's worth posting anyway)

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/leaked-simpsons-movie.php

Relix said:

And yes, they show Bart's dick... which was in fact hilarious after they spent a minute hiding it

They pulled it off perfectly.

Thinking back my favourite scene has to be
Homer giving the middle finger to all of Springfield while going down the Sinkhole slowly

MercuryLS

Banned
Relix said:

Best way to make me NOT want to see the movie :lol

border

MrPing1000 said:
South Park the movie is the greatest musical ever created
South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut is a collection of novelty songs at best. Not really a good idea to pit it against the classics of Broadway and Golden-Age Hollywood. Even in the category of the "cutesy-childish characters saying outrageous things" musicals, it's equaled if not bested by Avenue Q and Meet the Feebles.

neptunes

I thought it was funny, maybe it's because I came in expecting it to be pretty bad.

the penis thing was a bit weird but everyone in my theatre was laughing, no big deal.

Sanjuro

Just came back from the film...was better than any Simpsons movie I could have imagined now or in its prime. While still not A+ material, if I had to grade would be a solid B+. Honestly if you were ever a huge Simpsons fan and you dislike this film you most likely went into the film on all intents of not enjoying it.

Call me a softy but I enjoyed the Marge/Homer relationship problems and felt extremely happy at Lisa's boyfriend glee.
There were still many other moments of goodness as well.

jarosh

oh. there's an official thread. guess i should have posted my bitching here...

awful movie. not that i had any kinds of high expectations but yeah... it sucked. hard.

soulless, superficial, calculated, cringeworthy. i didn't laugh once. it got harder and harder to watch towards the end. yeah, these are the simpsons many of us have become to hate during the last ~9 seasons. if you still like the simpsons on tv this'll be right up your alley.

everything that's been wrong with the humor since season 10/11 plus all the tired and shallow plot points and stereotypes we've seen handled better in single episodes - minus the charm, the soul, the subtlety and the biting satire - plus tons of out-of-place slapstick.

YUCK

oh and here's a bunch of cell phone pictures i took for no reason whatsoever
(because i was bored)
:

sp1.jpg

sp2.jpg

sp3.jpg

Lucky

Just got back from the midnight show. I'd heard before I went that it was getting mixed reviews and that's pretty much exactly how I felt. I liked some parts and disliked others. I'll say I preferred the hand drawn animation and slower pacing of years gone by. Overall I felt that most new characters and/or motives and the plot were a little underdeveloped. I don't think they needed to do quite as much in the movie as they did.

I'm now reliving those classic Simpsons moments by watching Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie and The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie show. Yay!

Childish but I'm excited about this movie mainly to annoy the GAF elite Simpsons posse. I hope it makes a shitload of money for that fact alone.

Splatt

Watched it yesterday. I never watched the newer Simpsons episodes so i really didn't know that Homer was such a dick and a retard. Back when i watched Simpsons, Homer did do stupid and retarded stuff but he atleast knew what the consenquences were and tried his best to repair them before they escalate to unimaginable proportions. But here? Nope. I mean yeah, he did have a "change of heart" at the end of the movie, but that's only when he ****ed up the whole Springfield and lost his family. I did laugh at few jokes here and there, but that's mostly because the audince in my theatre was laughing at everything and they would eat my ass if i didn't laugh with them. They even laughed when Homer was watching Marge's goodbye VHS, which was supposed to be the only sad moment in the movie.

All in all, i did enjoy the movie as a silly "put Homer in some dangerous shit and watch him scream every 3 minutes" movie, but as a Simpson movie it dissapointed me.

6/10

Larsen B

Stoney Mason said:
Childish but I'm excited about this movie mainly to annoy the GAF elite Simpsons posse. I hope it makes a shitload of money for that fact alone.

You realise that the elite Simpsons posse will be a significant factor in its gigantic box office takings, right?

klausbert

Saw the movie. It was funny and, had some weaknesses, but i have been laughing all the time(the enthusastic audience could be a factor in that, though) and been entertained very well. 7,5/10(5 being average ;) )

Jake.

i saw it tonight. it was definitely good but nothing amazing or anything, i'd probably give it a 7.5 out of 10. some great moments (animal cabin scene, bart skating) but also too many average and 'forced' ones. i was really disappointed that so many of my favourite characters were barely in it and/or didn't say a single line. some plotholes and parts of the story that just disappeared altogether from the story (spiderpig and the irish kid) kinda annoyed me. they REALLY ****ed up with the whole mcbain/schwarzenegger/president thing. top notch animation though (especially the backgrounds) and the tom hanks cameo and itchy and scratchy short were both awesome. also the russ cargill EPA guy was voiced by albert brooks aka hank scorpio which ruled.

wasn't erin brockovich and minnie driver meant to be in it? didn't see them anywhere.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Jake. said:
and wasn't erin brockovich and minnie driver meant to be in it? didn't see them anywhere.

They both had scenes, but they were cut. There's going to be a lot of extra material on the dvd, they cut a lot.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Critics are definitely all over this: AV Club and Salon both gave it strong review, and they're both usually rather critical.

AV Club said:
Where The Simpsons' social satire once had fangs, it now sports something closer to baby teeth. Though the writers take potshots at their parent corporation, as well as one of its primary corporate competitors (here's a hint: it rhymes with Misney), there's no danger of Fox being nibbled to death by its prize piranha. But like a legendary band trotting out old hits, The Simpsons Movie benefits from a soothing sense of familiarity: The gags, themes, and ideas are familiar and well-worn, but there's joy in them all the same. Though it never regains the inspiration or comic density of its brilliant first 20 minutes, The Simpsons Movie keeps the laughs coming from start to finish, a feat as rare and wonderful in film as it has been through 18 years of television.

B+

Salon said:
I went into "The Simpsons Movie" in a lousy mood and came out on the other side of the conveyor belt, reconditioned and rejuvenated. The picture works because, despite the fact that it took nearly six years for the filmmakers to bring it to the screen, it doesn't strive for greatness. It's fleet, concise and clever in a nut-ball way. On the seventh day, God looked at all he created and saw that it was good. Then he let one rip.

I think in a lot of ways it just comes down to--if you're a member of the Elite Simpsons Posse, you just have a completely different set of expectations and standards. I won't say that they're unfairly high or unreasonable, just that they're informed by a knowledge of the history of the series and an appreciation for the innovation and novel humor and character it brought.

I'll also stick by my guns that standards for comedy movies in general have fallen precipitously over the past ten years to the point where it seems that if something isn't Wild Hogs or Norbit it will be perceived as decent to good, and if it has five or six good jokes, it will be perceived as excellent.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
SonicMegaDrive said:
Oh?

Did they really KILL Dr. Nick? I thought nobody could have lived through that, but I thought it was just done as a gag. Are they really retiring the character? :(

My guess is yes, since they weren't doing anything with him in the last couple of seasons anyway

And new characters like Colin will be included in future episodes

As one of those overly critical Simpson fans who think the series died when reaching season 10, I too was disappointed. Not that it was a bad movie. Not at all. When you're not a total Simpsons freak you'll definitely enjoy it. But as someone who knows everything there is about the Classic Simpsons there were just too many moments I thought "Noo noo, that's not right. That's not how the Simpsons do it!". Swarzenegger instead of McBain is the one I don't have to put in spoilers, but there are many many more. I think they have made the movie as accessible as possible, and that has limited the fan service in this movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom