• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 Map Pack coming December 11

WhatRuOn said:
They can only hide it from us. The only way to "fix" the problem is to eliminate lag, the only way to do that is to can peer-to-peer, and that's something you can assume they aren't allowed to do.

Let's not turn this thread into another melee discussion thread. We've had it over and over, and I hate it as much as everyone else, but let's keep this discussion about the new maps.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
WhatRuOn said:
They can only hide it from us. The only way to "fix" the problem is to eliminate lag, the only way to do that is to can peer-to-peer, and that's something you can assume they aren't allowed to do.
They cannot only hide it from us. They can put it back the way it was. And you're a hundred percent right, there is no "fix."

Voltron64

As much as I love Halo, I have to admit to be a bit disappointed with the price. $10 seems just a bit much for 3 maps. Standoff looks too good to pass up. I will have to buy this grudgingly and MS won't see the grudgingly part. They will see me as a happy customer that's willing to get ripped off. Sad but true.

maynerd

Banned
What really pisses me off is if my friend buys the packs I bet I'll never be able to play with him via matchmaking until I buy the packs.

mollipen

Blueblur1 said:
Flame war incoming...

It's an honest question. Most Halo fans (okay, most Halo fans that I know) all agree that the single-player portion of the game really isn't all that special, and the reason for owning the game is local/online multiplayer.

I'm totally baffled by the idea that somebody would buy Halo 3 just for the single player campaign.

Drewsy said:
I'm kind of suprised (not really) that they're charging for these, I mean, the game just came out.

I think the game, as it currently is, has way too few maps. This first release really should have been free, because there's just way too much repetition of the same maps currently. Give us one free pack, then start trying to micro-transact us to death.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
shidoshi said:
It's an honest question. Most Halo fans (okay, most Halo fans that I know) all agree that the single-player portion of the game really isn't all that special, and the reason for owning the game is local/online multiplayer.

I'm totally baffled by the idea that somebody would buy Halo 3 just for the single player campaign.
I would absolutely have bought Halo 3 just for the single player campaign. It was amazingly fun; I've replayed the Ark and the Covenant probably dozens of times. And personally, I think the music and the story are fantastic.
maynerd said:
What really pisses me off is if my friend buys the packs I bet I'll never be able to play with him via matchmaking until I buy the packs.
Never fear, friend! I'm sure they'll have a "Team Preview" playlist, and not incorporate the new maps into the rest of Matchmaking. That's what they did with Halo 2, at least.

Walshicus

shidoshi said:

That's such a blatant troll. You've been here for how long and you don't know there's a tonne of us who buy the game for the single player first? The books don't sell as well as they do because people want multiplayer tips...

TDG

Banned
Wizman23 said:
People constantly crying about melee cracks me up. It's not a big deal...AT ALL. So 1 or 2 kills a game don't go your way. BIG DEAL. The people that make a big deal about it are people that barely even play it which makes it even more funny.
You know, that's what I thought for a while, but as I played it more I noticed it more.

It's bothersome, it's annoying, but it's not ruining the game for me.

Anyways, the maps look interesting, though I want more pics. I'm taking a short break from Halo 3 to finish Bioshock, and I'm going to get some new games at the end of the month, so this will likely be trhe thing to reel me in again.

800 points is a bit steep, but it's ultimately about value, which means I'll have to make a judgement as to whether this is worth it to me. It isn't for most games, but I'll likely end up buying these.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Wizman23 said:
People constantly crying about melee cracks me up. It's not a big deal...AT ALL. So 1 or 2 kills a game don't go your way. BIG DEAL. The people that make a big deal about it are people that barely even play it which makes it even more funny.
I'm a Colonel with my highest skill being a 46. I play. A lot.

I also see that for you, the melee represents 22% of your kills, followed by the AR at 21%. For me, the melee is 30% of my kills, followed by the AR at 17%. So you can see how this melee system would affect me more than you. I have a right to "constantly cry" about it. It's not "1 or 2" kills. And not only do I play more than you, but my K/D ratio is 1.25% - which is NOT good among pros, but it's much better than your K/D ratio of .96%. And many of my games are against 45+ players in Lone Wolves.

Regardless of which side you take on it, your post is quite derogatory towards people that aren't on your side of the fence, and to be honest it makes you sound pretty immature.

Cocopjojo said:
I LOL'd.

I like the way maps look. They seem to be pretty far along in development. Wonder if they would have offered these maps to me if I would have paid $10 for them up front at launch? I'll also put money on a Lockout remake coming in the Spring...any takers?

I would be worried about the melee if I played matchmaking, but fortunately I don't. BR-starts looks like they'll play good on at least two of those maps. I really like Jodrell Bank, the dusk/dawn lighting effect looks very tight. Hopefully these won't be 'pretty to look at but ugly to marry,' like Isolation and Epitaph are.

I'm sure this has been brought up already...but are they going to force you to buy these maps like in Halo 2? SORRY CAN'T ENTER MATCHMAKING SINCE YOU DIDN'T PAY FOR OUR OVERPRICED MAP PACK!

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
CajoleJuice said:
I'm sure this has been brought up already...but are they going to force you to buy these maps like in Halo 2? SORRY CAN'T ENTER MATCHMAKING SINCE YOU DIDN'T PAY FOR OUR OVERPRICED MAP PACK!
First, when downloadable content arrives, it will have its own playlist for those folks who just want to play with their new toys. Simultaneously all of the DLC maps will be rolled in to the regular Matchmaking playlists as well and then as folks are getting matched up, the game will take into account who has what maps in the matchmaking process. So you'll see Team Slayer on Standoff show up in the Team Slayer hopper as well as in the new DLC-focused playlist.
So you won't be affected at all if you don't buy them.

X26 said:
What a joke. Looks like I'll wait for them to be free, and if that doesn't happen, never
From the PR:
All three maps will become available for free download via Xbox Live Marketplace in Spring 2008, just prior to the next wave of all new "Halo 3" multiplayer maps.

OP needs updating.

GhaleonEB

Cocopjojo said:
So basically, you won't be affected at all if you don't buy them.
That's a nice surprise. I was expecting a similar schism in the population to Halo 2 until the maps became free.

I don't think I'll be picking these up until spring.

X26

Banned
Cocopjojo said:
So you won't be affected at all if you don't buy them.

From the PR:

OP needs updating.

Better than nothing I guess.

And that first map looks like The Pit, but with better lighting (other two look cool though, but not $10 cool)

Wizman23

Banned
Cocopjojo said:

I also see that for you, the melee represents 22% of your kills, followed by the AR at 21%. For me, the melee is 30% of my kills, followed by the AR at 17%. So you can see how this melee system would affect me more than you. I have a right to "constantly cry" about it. It's not "1 or 2" kills. And not only do I play more than you, but my K/D ratio is 1.25% - which is NOT good among pros, but it's much better than your K/D ratio of .96%. And many of my games are against 45+ players in Lone Wolves.

Regardless of which side you take on it, your post is quite derogatory towards people that aren't on your side of the fence, and to be honest it makes you sound pretty immature.

Do you want a cookie for having a better K/D ratio then me? Sorry I don't have as much time to invest in Halo 3 then you.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Wizman23 said:
Do you want a cookie for having a better K/D ratio then me? Sorry I don't have as much time to invest in Halo 3 then you.
Ignoring my entire post and picking out part of it to use completely out of context in order to avoid responding to any of my points?

Check.

If Bungie really had a problem with the pricing scheme, don't you think they could have convinced MS to change it?

Hell, Bungie was owned by MS and basically said, "Yeah, um, about this ownership thing. . . you're not actually going to own us anymore, thanks," but they have no say in the pricing of Halo content?

GhaleonEB

Wizman23 said:
Um, that wasn't the point of his post at ALL. :lol

Some folks play a melee-heavy game, and the issue impacts them more than those who do not.

At any rate. I'm interested to see the inside of Rat's Nest, and in knowing just how flixible the placement of man cannons are on Standoff. I'd love to see more than two be placable, but even being able to place two of them will have a big impact on the flow of the map. And having the option to add shield doors is also a cool touch; I hope that's added to some of the existing maps.

deftangel

took a programming course
Bungie said:
Christopher Barrett: Standoff, or Bunkerworld as it’s known internally was one of the maps we had originally planned as one of the Halo 3 release multiplayer maps. Because of time we ended up postponing it until DLC, and here it is!

Oh great it gets better. Not only are they charging us for maps 2 months after launch when the original game only had 11 *new* maps but this one was originally supposed to be in the launch release as well!

Bungie has always in my experience been good to their fans, how can they be so blind to this malarkey :(

mood

Maps look awesome. Day 1.

deftangel said:
Oh great it gets better. Not only are they charging us for maps 2 months after launch when the original game only had 11 *new* maps but this one was originally supposed to be in the launch release as well!

Bungie has always in my experience been good to their fans, how can they be so blind to this malarkey :(

Uh, a lot of things were probably planned out for the release of Halo 3 that had to be cut due to time. You do eventually have to meet deadlines and ship a game.

Its nice that the maps will become free also. Are there any free Resistance maps?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
professor_t said:
If Bungie really had a problem with the pricing scheme, don't you think they could have convinced MS to change it?

Hell, Bungie was owned by MS and basically said, "Yeah, um, about this ownership thing. . . you're not actually going to own us anymore, thanks," but they have no say in the pricing of Halo content?
:lol

Personally, I like to think they tried as much as possible to get a good price for us, but... I don't know for sure, obviously. And when you put it like that... :lol

DD-11

Cocopjojo said:
Yeah, but look at the entirety of their response:

I've bolded the important parts.

They don't even recognize the problem. They're trying to find a way to "fix" their "fix" for host advantage. When they say "the problem is that it looks bad and is dissatisfying," that scares me. That's not the problem. The problem is that the two strikes were not simultaneous. I don't want to get into that whole debate here, since we've already had it a thousand times - my point is just that if there was another alternative better than host advantage and better than their fix, then why wouldn't they have implemented it in the shipped game? That comment on B.net leads me to believe that rather than fixing the problem, they're trying to think of a way to hide it from us - since apparently the only problem is that "it looks dissatisfying."

Count me as in the "I don't get the big deal" camp.

It's different, it's not bad. The majority of my kills come from Melee at 22.71%. Interestingly, it's also my most common means of death, clocking in at 22.66%. Clearly, I am an in-close, melee gamer.

I can't say I prefer one method over the other, but I've never really been that frustrated by losing a melee encounter. It's fair IMO. Not everyone has the same ping so if the strikes come within the same window, why not? It takes just as much skill, timing and speed to fill the other guy with more bullets than it does to beat someone to the melee strike.

You know how the system works, so work it into your game. You shouldn't have been shot more going into it. It's not as if the game is impeding your ability to shoot the other guy. I've often been losing a firefight (by my estimation), dodged the obvious melee attempt while still shooting and ended up winning the encounter.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
DD-11 said:

It's different, it's not bad. The majority of my kills come from Melee at 22.71%. Interestingly, it's also my most common means of death, clocking in at 22.66%. Clearly, I am an in-close, melee gamer.

I can't say I prefer one method over the other, but I've never really been that frustrated by losing a melee encounter. It's fair IMO. Not everyone has the same ping so if the strikes come within the same window, why not? It takes just as much skill, timing and speed to fill the other guy with more bullets than it does to beat someone to the melee strike.

You know how the system works, so work it into your game. You shouldn't have been shot more going into it. It's not as if the game is impeding your ability to shoot the other guy. I've often been losing a firefight (by my estimation), dodged the obvious melee attempt while still shooting and ended up winning the encounter.
I understand your point of view. If you want to talk about it in the Halo thread, I'd be happy to do it. I feel bad that I've already derailed this thread, so I don't really want to talk about it in here anymore.

Striker

Thanks for the link. Standoff looks outstanding. Seems its best suited 4 vs. 4. I can see Social Slayer and Social Skirmish involved, though, too.

It doesn't seem like there isn't a new BTB map afterall, like we first thought. They aren't ranking BTB right away anyways, so I guess the point is moot. Hopefully next time around...

CajoleJuice said:
Thanks. I'm definitely waiting until they're free then.

It's not like I'm playing Halo 3 anyway.

I find it funny that my avatar has been posted more frequently in the past few weeks than at any time in the past 3-4 years I've had it off and on. GAF is definitely not getting more witty.

I'm not the only one, Kuroyume! :p

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
$10 for 3 maps, are you kidding me? :lol

I bought every single Halo 2 map pack but this is pretty blatant nickel and diming by MS. The maps don't even look that great to be honest.

Will wait till Spring.

Try being Europe based when the servers are stateside, you lose a load of kills.

On Halo 2 it was fine, Host Advantage would get you everytime, but if you stayed away from the host you were fine. In Halo 3, it's like everyone is the host.

Cocopjojo said:
:lol

Personally, I like to think they tried as much as possible to get a good price for us, but... I don't know for sure, obviously. And when you put it like that... :lol

You're right, I can't know for certain . . . I just think it's a little unfair to attribute all of the responsibility to MS when it seems pretty obvious that Bungie doesn't have a problem calling their own shots (and getting away with it). :D

DD-11

Cocopjojo said:
I understand your point of view. If you want to talk about it in the Halo thread, I'd be happy to do it. I feel bad that I've already derailed this thread, so I don't really want to talk about it in here anymore.

No, there are definitely two points of view on this. You've stated your opinion rationally and I get it. There are many things about H3 MP that bother me (too many grenades, no CTF or Slayer only hoppers, radar, too much jumping around to name a few), but I still love and play the game.

The new maps look great. $10 for 3 maps is a fine price--I'll just buy one less beer the next time I go out. Sure, I'd love to pay less, but if there's one thing I've learned is that GAF will complain about anything sold over XBL, regardless of the price.

The maps look great, I'm excited for the forge possibilities and I'm buying. Yes, yes, I'm part of the problem.

They probably just want to make up for the money they missed with the Halo 3 retail disc. The most part of that money goes to MS. Now that they are independent they make more money off their content. Bungie being greedy confirmed ;)

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
DD-11 said:
No, there are definitely two points of view on this. You've stated your opinion rationally and I get it. There are many things about H3 MP that bother me (too many grenades, no CTF or Slayer only hoppers, radar, too much jumping around to name a few), but I still love and play the game.

The new maps look great. $10 for 3 maps is a fine price--I'll just buy one less beer the next time I go out. Sure, I'd love to pay less, but if there's one thing I've learned is that GAF will complain about anything sold over XBL, regardless of the price.

The maps look great, I'm excited for the forge possibilities and I'm buying. Yes, yes, I'm part of the problem.
Yeah, I don't think $10 is too bad, either. And Foundry definitely excites me the most. I wonder what the "very special secret object" Chris Barrett is referring to in Standoff.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
DD-11 said:

THANK GOD someone agrees with me on the "too many grenades" part. My god, there is so much grenade spamming in this game it's not even funnny. And to think they went down from 4 to 2, but yet there's way more than I've seen in Halo 2.

Numbers

Cocopjojo said:

Check out the "deaths by" section on the website. That's kind of interesting.

Hero

Too expensive. Maybe if they weren't a ton of other games to be playing through the holidays. I'll wait until Spring.

I would've bit if there was a remake of Boarding Action. Can you imagine that level with mancannons instead of teleports? Awesomeness.

Sidewinder too please.

thatbox

Banned
Domino Theory said:
THANK GOD someone agrees with me on the "too many grenades" part. My god, there is so much grenade spamming in this game it's not even funnny. And to think they went down from 4 to 2, but yet there's way more than I've seen in Halo 2.
Luckily grenades are extremely weak and you can charge back up to full health in only a few seconds, amirite!?

GhaleonEB said:
I hate to be the one to open this can of worms, but whether I purchase these or not is determined by when melee is fixed. I'm holding off on much more Halo 3 MP until it is, so these maps do not tempt me otherwise. I'm hoping for a title update and another round of matchmaking changes to be included in the bungie.net update today. Fix the melee and I'm all over these, albeit a bit grudgingly. The price is really pushing it.
Pretty much how I feel about it. Ten dollars is way too much when I've already drastically scaled back my play in hopes of a melee change. Can't wait to pay ten dollars for Blood Gulch next year, either :(

I'm guessing Bungie has continued with their extortionist model that prevents you from playing any playlist with a new map in it unless you also have that map?

They could put the map pack up for 8000 points and it would still sell.

And as far as "fixing melee" is concerned, how about they remove the RANDOM 50 ft lunge that people do at times.

Edit: And upon reading the rest of the thread, seems they've changed their stance on map packs being required to play. Good for them.

Chinner

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
I'm guessing Bungie has continued with their extortionist model that prevents you from playing any playlist with a new map in it unless you also have that map?

From Bungie.net
First, when downloadable content arrives, it will have its own playlist for those folks who just want to play with their new toys. Simultaneously all of the DLC maps will be rolled in to the regular Matchmaking playlists as well and then as folks are getting matched up, the game will take into account who has what maps in the matchmaking process. So you'll see Team Slayer on Standoff show up in the Team Slayer hopper as well as in the new DLC-focused playlist.

mood

My Arms Your Hearse said:

Hey you've guessed wrong! Try again.

MarkMacD

shidoshi said:
I think the game, as it currently is, has way too few maps. This first release really should have been free, because there's just way too much repetition of the same maps currently. Give us one free pack, then start trying to micro-transact us to death.

Only certain maps are included in certain playlists, but the game shipped with eleven multiplayer maps. You really think that's too few?

Top Bottom