• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS4 resolution scaling and frame rate question? (No spoilers)

Chiggs

Gold Member
commariodore64 said:
Drake looks poor in comparison - seriously. MGS4 cut scenes are REALTIME in game engine - and the models are much more detailed. Not saying Drake is a slouch - but play MGS4 for an hour and go back to Drake to spot all of it's flaws...

Uncharted hardly looks poor; it's just that its obnoxious screen-tearing can really detract from the overall experience. That said, I agree with you. MGS4 > Uncharted.

commariodore64 said:
but play MGS4 for an hour and go back to Drake to spot all of it's flaws...

Thats a good idea. I am relying on memories from 3+ months back for my comparison. The 60fps jumps in MGS4 do annoy me though, I wish it was locked @ 30, and there is the occasional poor texture. But this really is just nitpicking....

ElyrionX

MGS4 is probably the best looking game this gen yet. Gears, Uncharted and COD4 all come close enough but MGS4's look is remarkably clean and detailed.

itxaka

Defeatist
rubso said:
HD is 1280x720

MGS4 is 1024x768 (sub-HD)
NG2 is 1120x585 (sub-HD)
according to the pixel counter @ b3d.

I hope that helps :).

I´m getting more confused every day with resolutions.

Is the second one (768´) the one that is taken to determine if it´s 720p or lower?
Or is the pizels count (like multiplying 1024 * 768 vs 1280 * 720) and that determines if it´s HD?

Anyway, anything looks good on my 40" hdtv after 2 years with a 19" 720 monitor :D

Rolf NB

itxaka said:

Is the second one (768´) the one that is taken to determine if it´s 720p or lower?
Or is the pizels count (like multiplying 1024 * 768 vs 1280 * 720) and that determines if it´s HD?

Anyway, anything looks good on my 40" hdtv after 2 years with a 19" 720 monitor :D
There's no standard procedure to assert the HD-i-ness of non-standard resolutions.
There's legacy SD (480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, all with arbitrary width due to their history as analog signals), there's 720p (1280x720 square pixels) and there's 1080i/1080p (1920x1080 square pixels). As for standard HD resolutions, nothing else really exists. The next official step up is 1440p.

These games simply scale whatever their internal render resolution is to produce a well-formed HD output signal.

Scaling artifacts would be much more obvious if not for the AA. E.g. check out the Haze demo for a game that is obviously upscaled.

acm2000

ok, so are people rating this games graphics on the cutscenes or gameplay? because gameplay is a bit crap, and no contest what so ever for uncharted, cutscenes, maybe, i guess MGS4 has a face only a mother (crazed fan) can love or something

edit: ive watched it in 720p gamersyde videos and on a 1080p tv in dixons

karasu

acm2000 said:
ok, so are people rating this games graphics on the cutscenes or gameplay? because gameplay is a bit crap, and no contest what so ever for uncharted, cutscenes, maybe, i guess MGS4 has a face only a mother (crazed fan) can love or something

Yeah. Sure.

maskrider

acm2000 said:

Play the game and feel it yourself in its true glory than any recorded video for game play, it is about the whole package, not just a single part of it. I am not a fan of the series and I am stunned by the presentation and immersion after playing it just a little (only up to Act II).

acm2000

maskrider said:
Play the game and feel it yourself in its true glory than any recorded video for game play, it is about the whole package, not just a single part of it. I am not a fan of the series and I am stunned by the presentation and immersion after playing it just a little (only up to Act II).

i watched it on a big ass tv in dixons, i have no interest in playing it, it bores me, i just dont see what the fuss is about, its the usual case of rose tinted glasses, same thing happened with halo 3

Firewire

Banned
acm2000 said:

Seriously play the game if you can. My jaw dropped when I began playing last night, I was thinking WOW this looks so much better than the video's I'd seen before its release.

maskrider

acm2000 said:
i watched it on a big ass tv in dixons, i have no interest in playing it, it bores me, i just dont see what the fuss is about, its the usual case of rose tinted glasses, same thing happened with halo 3

Yeah, no interest and yet you keep posting about it. Ok then, rose tinted ... ?!!! Well, whatever.

Nif

itxaka said:

If I understand correctly, the p is the vertical pixels, but with standard HDTVs 720p's assumed to be in a 16:9 aspect ratio and have 1280 horizontal pixels. What you get with some games is more vertical pixels but fewer horizontal. It gets stretched by the PS3 or the TV to look widescreen, but it's still not rendering 1280x720.

To determine if it's HD or not, you multiply the two and see the totals, I guess.

Firewire

Banned
acm2000 said:

If you have no interest in it, the game bores you and you think everyone has rose tinted glasses why would you even post in a MGS4 thread?

Zophar

acm2000 said:
except MGS4 is actually good

acm2000

Firewire said:
If you have no interest in it, the game bores you and you think everyone has rose tinted glasses why would you even post in a MGS4 thread?

because thats what this thread was made for? although andrewfee did go a bit skitz over the resolution thing :lol

Firewire

Banned
acm2000 said:
because thats what this thread was made for? although andrewfee did go a bit skitz over the resolution thing :lol

But you just said you watched some of it on a big screen. You haven't really experienced it have you? Do you know what resolution that screen outputs at or if it was using a HDMI cable?

I also wouldn't put much faith in the ability of the salesmen to properly calibrate the TV, it could have been hooked up over composite cables for all we know.....

acm2000 said:

Umm, not really. The OP is asking a question about the games resolution. You're going on about how the games bores you and what not.

acm2000

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I also wouldn't put much faith in the ability of the salesmen to properly calibrate the TV, it could have been hooked up over composite cables for all we know.....

erm, see below, its usually showing off bluray in 1080p blah blah please buy our over priced tvs

Firewire said:
But you just said you watched some of it on a big screen. You haven't really experienced it have you? Do you know what resolution that screen outputs at or if it was using a HDMI cable?

its a big ass 1080p sony tv, which is setup playing bluray movies at 1080p to try flog them, only it has MGS4 on it atm to try flog that instead

DigitalSoul said:
Umm, not really. The OP is asking a question about the games resolution. You're going on about how the games bores you and what not.

i was told to play it, i was simply replying

Woo-Fu

Banned
acm2000 said:

If our glasses are rose-tinted yours would appear to be opaque.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Atomspike

acm2000 said:
Duuuuuuude!:lol

MGS4 has one of the best lighting engine along with Uncharted and GTA4 , simply amazing!

Banned
amar212 said:
Get yourself a decent TV guys - and there will be nothing to worry about.
By ‘decent TV’ do you really mean ‘magic TV’ ?

This isn't a display problem, it's an issue with the game. Even if you have a 1024x768 native display (such as many 42ʺ plasmas) it's not possible to get the PS3 outputting that resolution. The PS3 is upscaling the game whether you're running it on a 720p or 1080p display so it is always going to look soft and there will be flicker/shimmer no matter what you're playing on.

dallow_bg said:
Games prove more and more that it takes more than the resolution to get a clean image.

I used to care about the native res of games, and ever since NGII, I don't anymore.
MGS4 is just further ammunition.
I think the problem is that people don't really understand what resolution does for a game. Halo 3 had lots of aliasing because it was lower resolution, had no anti-aliasing, and had lots of contrast and texture/shader detail.

MGS4 on the other-hand won't suffer from this to nearly the same extent as it is relatively low contrast and the colour palette tends to be fairly limited.

The problem with the resolution in MGS is that it forces the game to be upscaled which brings a lot of problems. Now, most people with flat panels are used to this anyway—there are virtually no 1280x720 displays out there now, and very few games run at 1920x1080.

If, however, you are used to playing games without scaling e.g. playing 720p games on a CRT monitor as I do, then it is very obvious when something is scaled.

Diablos said:
No, it doesn't, and that pisses me off.
The 360 can output 1024x768 if you're using a VGA lead. If MGS4 were on the 360, I could just set it to output 1024x768 and adjust the geometry on the CRT to correct the aspect ratio and enjoy a perfectly sharp rendition of the game, rather than being forced to scale it to 1080p.

h3ro said:
What special technique did Kojipro use to get this game to look be output in 1080p without having to resort to unchecking 720p/1080i in the XMB?
No special technique really. As the game has to be scaled on the PS3, it might as well scale to the maximum resolution for the best image quality. It is a good thing that the PS3 will output 720p if the game is native 720p, rather than scaling everything to 1080p as the 360 does.

I can't believe the didn't cap the framerate either. It's bad enough that it's 30fps, but 30 jumping to 60 every so often is very jarring.

kitch9

Banned
andrewfee said:
It's a real shame that the PS3 can't just output 1024x768 — you'd be able to get a 1:1 mapped image on 42ʺ Plasmas, and it would look a lot better for people playing on CRT monitors. (which is pretty much just me, I think :lol)

The reason it looks clean is because it's such a low-contrast game, so you won't see the aliasing.

Honestly, aliasing doesn't really bother me though. I'd much rather have 1280x720 with no AA than a non-standard resolution with. Temporal AA is horrible though — that's the same thing DMC4 did and it ended up looking like I was playing the game on a crap LCD as a result.

Which is why it's so ridiculous. Even 720p isn't that high a resolution and yet they're struggling to have a consistent framerate at 1024x768. That's the resolution I was playing PC games at back in 1998…

Everybody who has played the game says it looks amazing....Myself included. Its gorgeous, and blows away most if not all 720p titles.

I can't stop thinking of tits when I read your posts......

Dunno why.....

acm2000 said:
Actually this is the thread for discussing resolution & framerate according to OP. That said - you want the 'let's be different just to be different' thread over at GameFaqs...

Cdammen

andrewfee, thanks for the info. I didn't know about some of the stuff you mentioned and that CRTs make scaling artifacts even more pronounced. Just wanted to say that it was a great post.

I find it funny that kitch9 tries to counter your well-founded argument with an opinion.

So here's my opinion (he he)... the game looked great on my friend's 32", 720p HDTV :)

Banned
Cdammen said:
andrewfee, thanks for the info. I didn't know about some of the stuff you mentioned and that CRTs make scaling artifacts even more pronounced. Just wanted to say that it was a great post.
It's not that CRTs make scaling artefacts more pronounced, it's that as a CRT owner, you're used to seeing everything as a ‘native’ resolution image so edges look pin-sharp whether it's 480p, 720p or 1080p.

When the image is scaled, there aren't sharp edges any more. With a flat-panel, unless you're using Blu-Ray, you are almost always sending it non-native images that have to be scaled so you're used to having a softer image regardless. If it's scaled up from 1024x768 to 1920x1080, 1280x720 to 1920x1080 or anything else, there's not going to be a huge difference in sharpness. (though it can affect other things, such as aliasing)

On the CRT you're not used to seeing scaling artefacts at all, so it's very obvious.

Shawn

Banned
I have a question:

If I'm using a 1080p TV and I have my PS3 using HDMI, can anything be done to make MGS4 pixel perfect without any scaling whatsoever?

kitch9

Banned
Cdammen said:

I find it funny that kitch9 tries to counter your well-founded argument with an opinion.

So here's my opinion (he he)... the game looked great on my friend's 32", 720p HDTV :)

Well-founded argument?

The majority here who have played the game thinks it looks great....(This is gaf remember!)

Then we have a couple of guys, one who has seen the game in a shop window who thinks it looks boring, and another frantically counting pixels in screenshots as he hasn't actually got the game. Then to pad his argument he starts turning into a martyr for all the poor crt owners who might be suffering scaling artifacts.

What the fuck does it matter?

It looks sharp on my 1366x768 screen, with little alaising. I'm a gaming addict and have played a lot of games on all formats, and this game is right up there with the best looking of them.

The presentation is unmatched and ALL formats however, its slick has hell.

Banned
Shawn said:
I have a question:

If I'm using a 1080p TV and I have my PS3 using HDMI, can anything be done to make MGS4 pixel perfect without any scaling whatsoever?
Nope. The only way to get a ‘pixel perfect’ image of MGS4 would be if the PS3 had the option to output 1024x768, and you were viewing on a CRT monitor or a 1024x768 native display. (such as older 42ʺ Plasmas with non-square pixels)

vpance

Here's a good idea to reduce scaling for anyone without a 1:1 capable no-overscan display. I saw it mentioned by Quaz on B3D. Just adjust the overscan options in the menu and shrink the image so more of the game gets displayed on the screen. I wish more games had this option. My panel overscans like somewhere between 5 to 10%.

Shawn

Banned
andrewfee said:
Nope. The only way to get a ‘pixel perfect’ image of MGS4 would be if the PS3 had the option to output 1024x768, and you were viewing on a CRT monitor or a 1024x768 native display. (such as older 42ʺ Plasmas with non-square pixels)
But wait a second...

What if the 1080p TV had an option in the user menu that said something like "1:1" or "do by dot"?

For example, the new 1080p Pioneer plasmas have a "Dot By Dot" mode in the menu. Wouldn't this mean that if I feed the TV a PS3 game with a resolution of 720p or 768p, or whatever, the game will be pixel-perfeect, but will be displayed in a "box" on the screen -- you know, with black borders on the top, bottom, left and right of it??

Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding something here.

MoxManiac

Shawn said:
But wait a second...

What if the 1080p TV had an option in the user menu that said something like "1:1" or "do by dot"?

For example, the new 1080p Pioneer plasmas have a "Dot By Dot" mode in the menu. Wouldn't this mean that if I feed the TV a PS3 game with a resolution of 720p or 768p, or whatever, the game will be pixel-perfeect, but will be displayed in a "box" on the screen -- you know, with black borders on the top, bottom, left and right of it??

PS3 doesn't natively output 1024x768. It gets scaled regardless.

Banned
Shawn said:
But wait a second...

You still wouldn't be able to get a pixel-perfect image there.

The PS3 is rendering the game at 1024x768 internally.
The system then upscales that to 1920x1080 and sends it to your display.
There's only 1024x768 pixels worth of information there, but it's still sent as a 1920x1080 image to the screen.
If you enable a 1:1 or ‘Dot by Dot’ mode on your TV, it treats it as having a 1920x1080 image, it doesn't know that it's really only a 1024x768 image being stretched out.
Even if it did know it was a 1024x768 image being stretched out, there's no way to convert it back to 1024x768 without losing image quality.

Imagine you had an image that was alternating black/white pixels. Looking at a small portion of that image, rendered at 1024x768 it would look like this:
245nimt.png

If you rendered it at 1024x768 and scaled it to 1920x1080, the same section now looks like this due to the scaling:
ojqut2.png

Notice how it's no longer an evenly spaced black/white alternating grid, it's all been blended and stretched — that's what scaling does to an image which is why it looks soft. More often than not, there is also an additional blur filter applied as well, as very fine details don't scale well and can flicker badly, further reducing the sharpness of the image.

Shawn

Banned
I guess I'm wondering why TV makers cannot program their 1080p flat-panel HDTV's to be "intelligent" enough to somehow recognize lesser resolutions being sent to it and put a border around the image so that it doesn't have to be scaled or stretched, therefore making it pixel-perfect...

Do you know what I mean?

Does that make sense?

Banned
Shawn said:
I guess I'm wondering why TV makers cannot program their 1080p flat-panel HDTV's to be "intelligent" enough to somehow recognize lesser resolutions being sent to it and put a border around the image so that it doesn't have to be scaled or stretched, therefore making it pixel-perfect...

Do you know what I mean?

Does that make sense?
It's being sent 1920x1080 though, not 1024x768.

Very few HDTVs have a true 1:1 mapping option though—usually it just disables overscan. Most people don't want to see a window that only fills half the screen when using 720p content.

That's why I still use CRT monitors—you essentially get a 1:1 image no matter what resolution you send it.

crunker99

Rainy Dog said:
As for the framerate, based on my few hours with the game last night it mostly stays at 30fps, with sporadic but welcome jumps to 60fps and occasional but unwelcome dips to 20-25fps. Didn't find the varying fps jarring though and no idea whether forcing the rendered resolution assists as didn't feel the need to found out. All cutscenes seem to be 60fps regardless of resolution.

have to disagree, as i said in my review, when the game jumps fro pm 60fps showing snake alone to 15-20 fps when 5 or more enemies are doing something, it is certainly annoying (annoying is a generous term here). the game has graphical issues, minor though they may be, face the facts

game is fantastic don't get me wrong, i own all consoles too, mg online is great the game is the top ps3 game to date for sure but that doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye to its issues and give it a perfect score pass, like a certain site did YET AGAIN

shoulda been locked at 30 hes right

SS4Rob

FYI - I created this thread to discuss the technical side of the MGS4 presentation - resolution, frame rate, etc. I was simply noticing that my 1080p TV was telling me I was receiving a 1080p image, and I didn't believe (it simply doesn't look 1080p), and I wanted to see if there was a way to get a consistent higher frame rate. Everyone who has contributed something technical to the discussion, I thank you.

All of that said, the game obviously looks great regardless of what it is doing internally, especially on close ups of some of the characters on my 1080p set. But I would have preferred a native resolution, but I'll take 1024x768 anamorphic being that if they had rendered any higher there would have been more frame rate issues. I am the type who will lower resolution to get a higher frame rate, and don't mind when the game occasionally jumps to 60fps.

I used to play Quake 2 at 320x240 on my old Rendition because it was a silky 60fps, and was floored when I was able to play it with two Voodoo 2s at 1024x768! I remember saying "nope, no need to play at a higher resolution than this ever!" In fact, on my puter hooked to a CRT I keep everything at 1024x768... ironic huh? :)

methos75

Banned
Spectral said:
Next lets talk about the sound quality.

Don't get me started, for a game that has uncompressed audio, I have noticed it doesn't sound as robust and full as other uncompressed audio equipped games like Uncharted and Lair on my set-up. Sounds good no doubt, just not as good as those two IMO.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Spectral said:
Next lets talk about the sound quality.

I think the audio might be 1280x720, but I can't be 100% sure. I tried counting the pixels, but I have a large tuft of ear hair and mad wax build up, so the authenticity of my enumeration might be suspect. I'll do a little trimming and swabbing later and let you guys know.

vpance

There's a cutscene in the game (amazing scene too) where you can't zoom in and pan around. I assume it's a movie and they couldn't do it in real-time cuz of all the camera work and stuff going on. Not directly a framerate thing, but just something I noticed.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
commariodore64 said:
Drake looks poor in comparison - seriously. MGS4 cut scenes are REALTIME in game engine - and the models are much more detailed. Not saying Drake is a slouch - but play MGS4 for an hour and go back to Drake to spot all of it's flaws...
I don't really agree. MGS4 DOES look incredible (and becomes impressive over time), but Drake is simply doing more. The textures are much more detailed, the shadows are higher resolution, the shaders more complex, the data streaming is superior, etc etc.

Still, MGS4 has its own look. There isn't really anything else quite like it and the end result is one of the finest looking games I've ever played. It looks so much better than the media suggested it would.

Honestly, aliasing doesn't really bother me though. I'd much rather have 1280x720 with no AA than a non-standard resolution with. Temporal AA is horrible though — that's the same thing DMC4 did and it ended up looking like I was playing the game on a crap LCD as a result.
MGS4 absolutely does NOT suffer from the same blurry issues as DMC4. When the game kicks up to 60 fps, it does not blur, and the normal 30 fps looks perfectly solid.

Forsete

Always-honest said:
5.1 upscaled mono dude...

Yep, I heard they were using old gramophone audio-clips unscaled and rendered in Dolby Digital. Supposedly PS3 cant handle proper DD 5.1.

Seriously, best use of 5.1 ever in a game? Its really striking how great the audio is.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
dark10x said:
It looks so much better than the media suggested it would.

Agreed. There's quite a bit going on that gets lost in stills. Lots of technical muscle in the fabric simulation, smoke and debris effects, and mustache motion capture that you simply can't make out from captured frames.

Forsete said:
Yep, I heard they were using old gramophone audio-clips unscaled and rendered in Dolby Digital. Supposedly PS3 cant handle proper DD 5.1.

Seriously, best use of 5.1 ever in a game? Its really striking how great the audio is.
it's amazing. but i need to pay more attention to it in a second run.

dark10x said:
I don't really agree. MGS4 DOES look incredible (and becomes impressive over time), but Drake is simply doing more. The textures are much more detailed, the shadows are higher resolution, the shaders more complex, the data streaming is superior, etc etc.

Still, MGS4 has its own look. There isn't really anything else quite like it and the end result is one of the finest looking games I've ever played. It looks so much better than the media suggested it would.

MGS4 absolutely does NOT suffer from the same blurry issues as DMC4. When the game kicks up to 60 fps, it does not blur, and the normal 30 fps looks perfectly solid.

I really wish they locked it at 30FPS, I can see the random spikes to 60FPS really bothering me.

Top Bottom