• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paging *ALL* PS3 owners (with 2.40) - Did 2.40 brick your PS3?

European launch 60 GB model.

---1. Did this update brick your PS3?
---2. Define "brick" in your case
---3. If it did brick your system, how many times did you reboot your PS3 before it bricked?

1 - No.
2 - N/A
3 - N/A

tanod

when is my burrito
Speevy said:
~150 users, not one brick because of the update so far.

Seriously. Kind of smacks of FUD right now. I wouldn't put it past MS's viral marketing organization to do something like this around a big update for PS3.

Some one mail Kotaku and tell them the problem is alot wider then they reported!

Seriously now, after reading the thread on the Playstation forums where Kotaku got the "story" it seems the few guys having the problems got they're update download disconnected serveral times, which means the file probably got saved incorrectly, hence the problem.

I don't believe there's actually anything wrong with 2.4.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Would have been easier to only ask people whose PS3 bricked to post.
Which doesn't seem to be anyone here unless I missed a post.

What I'd like to know is how many times you've turned the system on and off.

womfalcs3

Banned
US 60-GB launch model

1. No
2. N/A
3. N/A

Personally, I think the issue is with incompatible themes, and not the firmware itself.

Nizz

1. No. I have a 60g (US) bought in June of 2007. I just turned it on about 10 minutes ago and it started up, I saw the wavy bar for a sec, then it went to my MGS 4 theme.
2. NA
3. NA

Mrbob

Metalmurphy said:
Some one mail Kotaku and tell them the problem is alot wider then they reported!

Seriously now, after reading the thread on the Playstation forums where Kotaku got the "story" it seems the few guys having the problems got they're update download disconnected serveral times, which means the file probably got saved incorrectly, hence the problem.

I don't believe there's actually anything wrong with 2.4.

Yeah updating firmware is a tricky thing, and usually bricks happen because of user error. As in they turn off the power before the firmware update is done finishing, or they have bad luck where the power gets cut off as the firmware update is installing.

Once those critical information in the console is corrupted it is toast.

sun-drop

no probs here.

launch day 60GB ps3, downloaded at work and then installed from file - haven't had a single issue. runs smooth as silk

spwolf

dallow_bg said:
Would have been easier to only ask people whose PS3 bricked to post.
Which doesn't seem to be anyone here unless I missed a post.

What I'd like to know is how many times you've turned the system on and off.

that way people would see 3 posts and be like...woa, 100% people got their bricked

:lol

Alcahest

Metalmurphy said:
it seems the few guys having the problems got they're update download disconnected serveral times, which means the file probably got saved incorrectly, hence the problem.

impossible. before the ps3 actually launches the updating process, it checks the md5 of the downloaded firmware file. If it were corrupted in ANY WAY, md5 wouldn't match and ps3 would refuse to start updating.

jbueno

1. No
2. N/A
3. N/A

80 GB model, bought in January 2008, installed FW2.4 last night, played a few demos, disc PS3 and PS1 games, no problems so far.

Speevy

Banned
Alcahest said:
impossible. before the ps3 actually launches the updating process, it checks the md5 of the downloaded firmware file. If it were corrupted in ANY WAY, md5 wouldn't match and ps3 would refuse to start updating.

Well maybe someone injected special nanomachines into md5 so it would be tricked into thinking the corrupted file was actually working. It's the Patriots.

Top Bottom