• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to Take Part in Kyoto Games Event

Somnid

Iwata has made several TGS keynotes. There's no reason why they couldn't have done it then or at their own sperate event. Afterall, Nintendo is in charge of planning these, they can hold one whenever they want.

wsippel

Banned
Blackbird| said:
It would be pretty stupid to announce the price drop two weeks after it actually happened, no? ;)

It's also not exactly uncommon for Nintendo to announce stuff via press releases a few days prior to conferences, to get them out of the way.

Koren

kpop100 said:
Dunno if this was posted, but apparently there was a spread in today's Kyoto newspaper about Nintendo. Here is a scan of the history of Nintendo. For those observant you'll notice a couple systems conveniently missing.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2lvmx3q.jpg

Gamecube and Virtual Boy
No doubt it's simply a matter of space... The journalist put into the timeline some memorable things, and didn't try to be exhaustive.

Notice that the Gameboy Advance is also missing, and it's far from a thing you'd like to remove from the timeline.

So, no conference this year... I never understand Nintendo, no tgs, no fall-conference, 2 titles for 2009 and 2 for 2010...

What about all the rumours related to Cmex? Maybe the announces is under embargo?

I'm really disappointed.

gerg

jay said:
I remember the carefree days of youth when I actually believed this.

There was actually a time when people didn't prematurely jump to baseless conclusions? What progress.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Shadowlink said:
Nintendo is having a media briefing this week? Any information about it?

There is something Thursday in Japan, but from the initial description seems like a normal retailer thing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
schuelma said:
There is something Thursday in Japan, but from the initial description seems like a normal retailer thing.

That's how it always looks!

Hype+1 billion trillion

Brawl 2 trailer or bust!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Shadowlink said:
Don't hype yet. We're not sure how big this will be and there are no Yoshi Island Wii rumors.

There's a console Pokemon rumor, that's enough for me.

I found this petition: http://tinypetition.com/Nintendo
petition said:
Nintendo...wake up and give us the hype!!!
Hello,guys,videogamers and,especially,Nintendo lovers.
So...what is this petition for? Simple:who on earth would not desire to see Nintendo trying to create hype on its game,instead of announcing them like 6 months before release,or announcing them and almost forgetting
to talk about them until the release?I\'m one of the people who desire a change.I\'m talking about create hype for games as they did for Brawl.Do you remember?Continuos news on the site,and an unbelievable attention on it.
And don\'t you think that this way of create hype would be even better with the implementation of this system for the most wanted games,maybe adding forums related to them,and links for news on Facebook accounts.
So,I(and i don\'t think to be the only one in the world)would desire seeing Nintendo announcing games even if they are not almost ready to be completed,and with a continuos flow of videos,images and hype as they did with Brawl.Maybe,not five announcements for week and only one,but the important thing is that they must change theri comunication policy.
It would be better also for Nintendo reputation in videogaming world,don\'t you think so?And it would make a better videogaming world,with Nintendo fans not forced to wait in this way infos about their beloved games.
So,here you are my petition.
I will send it to NoA if a great number of people will sign it...maybe,things will change if we will be enough.

gerg

I still don't get this fascination with knowing that a game will come out in X months time. That Nintendo does or doesn't announce matters has no bearing on what they're actually doing.

Also, lol at the petition.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The hype game doesn't work when you aren't intertwined in the technology business. Nintendo had a moment of playing along to that in the mid-90's, but since then they shifted to an entertainment focus, which is closer to themselves and where the money is for them. They're doing the right thing by not trying to play along to the hype.

It's been a mistake to attend E3 and all these shows lately, they seriously have to drop out of that completely.

gerg said:
I still don't get this fascination with knowing that a game will come out in X months time. That Nintendo does or doesn't announce matters has no bearing on what they're actually doing.

Also, lol at the petition.

Most of it has to do with list wars.
Though, I do get a charge out of watching trailers for stuff like Other M and Sin and Punishment 2.

Azelover said:
The hype game doesn't work when you aren't intertwined in the technology business. Nintendo had a moment of playing along to that in the mid-90's, but since then they shifted to an entertainment focus, which is closer to themselves and where the money is for them. They're doing the right thing by not trying to play along to the hype.

It's been a mistake to attend E3 and all these shows lately, they seriously have to drop out of that completely.

Drop out of E3...really? :lol

duckroll

I warned you guys it would be a worthless event, I basically told you everything that could be expected there way before Nintendo even announced their finalized plans. But do you listen? Nope. Never change, your responses and endless optimism are very entertaining to read! :lol

duckroll said:
I warned you guys it would be a worthless event, I basically told you everything that could be expected there way before Nintendo even announced their finalized plans. But do you listen? Nope. Never change, your responses and endless optimism are very entertaining to read! :lol

Just asking, but has Nintendo ever went SURPRISE before?

duckroll

Hero of Legend said:
Just asking, but has Nintendo ever went SURPRISE before?

Yeah, every time they release a first party non internally developed game in Japan, it's SURPRISE! The lack of sales as a result though, is no surprise to anyone. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
duckroll said:
Yeah, every time they release a first party non internally developed game in Japan, it's SURPRISE! The lack of sales as a result though, is no surprise to anyone. :lol

OH SNAP

duckroll said:

Sorry for not being specific, but I was actually referring to if they scheduled some event, and it turned out to be much bigger to us than expected? :p

duckroll

ethelred said:
I'm taking the week off.

Don't worry, though. I'm still laughing on the inside.

I don't blame you. Next week we're going to have to be dealing with the first day sales of Strange Journey. I'm kinda scared personally... ^^;

duckroll

Hero of Legend said:
Sorry for not being specific, but I was actually referring to if they scheduled some event, and it turned out to be much bigger to us than expected? :p

As far as surprises are concerned, maybe you should send your good friend Ken-from-XSeed another email asking about the status of Arc Rise Fantasia. It seems to have vanished off release lists from Nintendo, and there are many of us wondering what's going on. Maybe you can surprise us, with your deep friendship with Ken. Thanks in advance!

Dascu

duckroll said:
As far as surprises are concerned, maybe you should send your good friend Ken-from-XSeed another email asking about the status of Arc Rise Fantasia. It seems to have vanished off release lists from Nintendo, and there are many of us wondering what's going on. Maybe you can surprise us, with your deep friendship with Ken. Thanks in advance!
2vngc5j.gif

duckroll said:
No one wants to listen to you anymore. I'm not playing Blue Dragon anymore. :p

duckroll said:

I've definitely been keeping in touch with him, in fact most recently he confirmed that Sky Crawlers will not share voice actors due to the game not using similar characters... I guess that was obvious to fans as they figured that already? :p

But yeah, I'll definitely ask about that.

Also, he's not sure about anything else coming up, he seems to know as much as we do in terms of future MMV projects for Wii and such. Maybe they're actually left in the dark until the public unveilings and THEN they get to talk with MMV about localization possibilities? That's normal right?

ethelred

jj984jj said:
Me too, especially after that Famitsu estimate was pretty low.

The thing that those Famitsu estimates are really good for is roughly gauging what the initial shipment of a game is going to be. I don't know that their predictive skills for the total forecasts have been proven all that accurate. With that being the case, their estimates aren't alarming to me. They're anticipating a first shipment of 80k-110k. Personally, I expect that Atlus will mostly sell through their first shipment and then get another one, and going off their sales history, I think a first week of around 100k sold would be very good and would put the game's total sales in a solid position.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
The thing that those Famitsu estimates are really good for is roughly gauging what the initial shipment of a game is going to be. I don't know that their predictive skills for the total forecasts have been proven all that accurate. With that being the case, their estimates aren't alarming to me. They're anticipating a first shipment of 80k-110k. Personally, I expect that Atlus will mostly sell through their first shipment and then get another one, and going off their sales history, I think a first week of around 100k sold would be very good and would put the game's total sales in a solid position.
I thought the same, if initial sales are on the high-end of their first shipment estimate then it should be fine. No matter which way you spin it though LTD sales lower than EO2 would not be a good thing so hopefully they're totally off with their total forecast, I think they are.

duckroll

I feel that Strange Journey needs to clear 150k for it to be anything close to a "success" as far as gamers are concerned. What I mean is, despite the fact that the game will most likely be profitable if it sells just 100k, for there to be a clear indication to Atlus that there is a ready and willing core fanbase on the DS for traditional SMT it needs to outsell spinoffs like Raidou, Devil Survivor and of course EO. SMT3 sold over 200k in Japan, and while that might not be attainable for SJ (I hope it is though), for it to sell significantly lower than that would be a disaster for us fans.

Maybe this discussion is more suited for the MC thread though...

TunaLover

duckroll said:

You mean this list?

notrace2.jpg

Becuase there only 2009 titles on it, even Valhalla Knights ES isn't listed, ops! a XSeed game that is in the shelf already :lol . I though you knew ARF was delayed to 2010. I was wrong.

duckroll said:
I feel that Strange Journey needs to clear 150k for it to be anything close to a "success" as far as gamers are concerned. What I mean is, despite the fact that the game will most likely be profitable if it sells just 100k, for there to be a clear indication to Atlus that there is a ready and willing core fanbase on the DS for traditional SMT it needs to outsell spinoffs like Raidou, Devil Survivor and of course EO. SMT3 sold over 200k in Japan, and while that might not be attainable for SJ (I hope it is though), for it to sell significantly lower than that would be a disaster for us fans.

Maybe this discussion is more suited for the MC thread though...
So this media briefing will pretty much talk about sales and the upcoming games for 2009? I'm hoping you're wrong but you're probably right.

Sadist

duckroll said:
It's 4am on Monday now.
I didn't mean that :lol

What I was trying to say, that whole Pokémon Wii from Gamefreak, couldn't that be announced in the near future on the Pokémon show? As in, not yesterday hehe. Don't take me for an total blind fool. :p

Hero of Legend said:
I've definitely been keeping in touch with him, in fact most recently he confirmed that Sky Crawlers will not share voice actors due to the game not using similar characters... I guess that was obvious to fans as they figured that already? :p

But yeah, I'll definitely ask about that.

Also, he's not sure about anything else coming up, he seems to know as much as we do in terms of future MMV projects for Wii and such. Maybe they're actually left in the dark until the public unveilings and THEN they get to talk with MMV about localization possibilities? That's normal right?

Hope Im not asking too much but can you also ask about Rune Factory 3?

The fanbase for the RF series doesn't know much of anything about it. It could pretty much mean the difference between like a year long wait (Natsume who localized RF2 and RF1 which took a whole fucking year) or 3-4 months ( Xseed's RFF )

Black-Wind said:
Hope Im not asking too much but can you also ask about Rune Factory 3?

The fanbase for the RF series doesn't know much of anything about it. It could pretty much mean the difference between like a year long wait (Natsume who localized RF2 and RF1 which took a whole fucking year) or 3-4 months ( Xseed's RFF )

I actually mentioned it in an e-mail a bit after it was unveiled, I think he ignored it though. :( I'll ask again though. :)

Hero of Legend said:
I actually mentioned it in an e-mail a bit after it was unveiled, I think he ignored it though. :( I'll ask again though. :)
Thanks!

Hopefully he has something to say about it now that its going to be released in Japan in a few weeks. The forums seem to really be hoping they handle it because of how well RFF was handled in not only translation and VA but also the timely release.

Just ordered RFF! :D

Top Bottom