• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Nintendo: 3DS eStore simultaneously available and not available day one

I used to have all of my games ripped to a card when I still had my DS Lite, but I found that having all of my games a button press away led to me not finishing any of them, or even playing one title for more than 15 minutes at a time. Same thing happens when I play games on my ipod touch, or when I play DSiWare games. Oddly I don't have a problem on console games though (XBLA/WiiWare/PSN) or on my PC. I don't know what it is about portable stuff that does that to me.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Jetku said:
Early adopters will mostly be hardcore gamers, who are perfectly capable and would want to update the firmware.

Later systems will have the eShop pre-installed. I really don't see an issue..

Youre on the ball there. There is no issue really. Launch units will need to be updated which is exactly with te majority of the owners will do on day 1. For the rest there will be plenty of instruction as what to do and why to do it.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
JodyAnthony said:
I used to have all of my games ripped to a card when I still had my DS Lite, but I found that having all of my games a button press away led to me not finishing any of them, or even playing one title for more than 15 minutes at a time. Same thing happens when I play games on my ipod touch, or when I play DSiWare games. Oddly I don't have a problem on console games though (XBLA/WiiWare/PSN) or on my PC. I don't know what it is about portable stuff that does that to me.

Hahaha yes, I have the exact same problem here. It's more sieve on my iPhone than anything else though.

carlo6529

I take it the way they will release downloadable gameboy titles will be similar to how they released them for the virtual console; one gem everything month or two.

carlo6529 said:
I take it the way they will release downloadable gameboy titles will be similar to how they released them for the virtual console; one gem everything month or two.

Probably all depends on how popular the service is.
I think, being on the 3DS and being on a much better store infrastructure will help to increase sales.
The Wii VC was just a huge mess.

Amir0x

Banned
lugging around multiple UMDs is a hassle but bringing about multiple DS-sized cartridges is really no skin off my back

i can stack like five of them into a super tiny container of some sort, which i have

Amir0x said:
lugging around multiple UMDs is a hassle but bringing about multiple DS-sized cartridges is really no skin off my back

i can stack like five of them into a super tiny container of some sort, which i have

Hell, I can fit 5 into a normal DS game case.

I rarely carry around more than one game at a time with my dsi (which goes with me just about everywhere) but when I do need to carry multiple games, I have one of those Hori things

5vVCi.jpg

carry 16 games in the case, plus the game that is in my DSi. The case thing is about half the size of the actual console.

(I mostly just store all my games in those things in alphabetical order, with the actual game cases stored away in a closet)

Before getting a flashcard I got a few of those, and highly recommend them. Actually I've seen they make them to store 24 instead of just 16 now.

I hope they're quick on such a thing for 3DS games--with that extra tiny bit of plastic to prevent fitting into a regular DS, it also won't fit into these cases.
jarosh said:
but who knows, maybe this whole classics thing has been scrapped :(
Well, as long as 3DSWare exists and Nintendo doesn't have an irrational hatred of the idea, someone is going to be doing it.

Hobbun

JodyAnthony said:
I rarely carry around more than one game at a time with my dsi (which goes with me just about everywhere) but when I do need to carry multiple games, I have one of those Hori things

5vVCi.jpg

carry 16 games in the case, plus the game that is in my DSi. The case thing is about half the size of the actual console.

(I mostly just store all my games in those things in alphabetical order, with the actual game cases stored away in a closet)

I really like that game case, where did you get it?

donny2112

Billychu said:
They could just be thrown into 3DSWare (unlikely)

I consider it very likely that they are thrown in with 3DSWare or just were missed. They aren't going away. Too easy to do, but it's not a VC-type game, as it requires additional coding. Might as well throw 3-D versions of old games into 3DSWare for that reason.

Emitan

donny2112 said:
I consider it very likely that they are thrown in with 3DSWare or just were missed. They aren't going away. Too easy to do, but it's not a VC-type game, as it requires additional coding. Might as well throw 3-D versions of old games into 3DSWare for that reason.
They're existing games. It makes more sense for them to be in the section of the store dedicated to selling old games.

presumably some of these cases won't fit 3DS games. i'm sure a lot will, but some won't. i have a Mario Kart case that holds eight games, that's kind of like a compact, but i don't think 3DS games are going to fit in it.

Hobbun

How much different in size is the 3DS games compared to the DS games? I thought they were relatively the same size?

Ulairi

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
No, totally. On a relates note, I was thinking I would trade in my sweet portable CD player and my awesome vinyl slipcase full of CDs for one of those newfangled MP3 players... Ah, who am I kidding; that shit will never catch on.

The gaming experiences that I'll be able to get on the 3DS will be quite different than the experiences that are predominately offered on mobile devices (iOS, Android, webOS, etc). If someone buys a 3DS it's because they want a very different experience than what's offered on their iTouch.

I read your editorial and I think you've jumped the gun a little bit about how much of a detriment it will be to Nintendo. Aren't there about 150 million DS systems in the world? I don't think the 3DS is going to be that successful but I still think it will be very successful.

Hobbun said:
Amazon, search for hori 16 ds case. Best accessory I have ever bought for a console. I have 4 full with one more halfway filled. All of my ds games in less space than a Childs shoebox

I'd post a link but I'm on my iPod

Hobbun said:
Search Amazon for Hori DS card case and you'll find various colors in both 16 and 24 capacity variants.
Billychu said:
They're existing games. It makes more sense for them to be in the section of the store dedicated to selling old games.
They're new versions of old games. I think it makes more sense to put them with newer products rather than the section for emulating the originals in their original form. Unless the 3D versions really are just using an emulator with different depth settings for the layers, though that would lead to some sub-standard results.
Hobbun said:
How much different in size is the 3DS games compared to the DS games? I thought they were relatively the same size?
Very very similar. There's an extra tab of plastic on one of the top corners so you can't insert it into an original DS system, and presumably that tab will also cause problems fitting into cases for old DS games.

justchris

Honestly, I always figured it was a 'won't be ready for Japan Time launch, but with the extra month between the Japanese and Western launches it'll be done, you just have to download it' sort of thing.

Amir0x

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
So here's the official word from Nintendo of America.

Just saw this post buried here.

I don't understand why this is so hard to give a definitive answer about. I mean, you don't have to reveal any details about the service itself but geeze the system is out in just a little while in Japan heh

Medalion said:
How is this even news?

I expected this to be there day 1

You mean it was once said it was gonna be delayed?!

Yes. It was heavily implied coming out of the Amsterdam/New York show thing that the 3DS eStore and internet would not be there on day one, but would come in a update at some undefinable point in the future.

We still don't have 100% clear answer. Eurogamer got this answer from Nintendo, Chris and Wired got this other non-committal answer.

Amir0x said:

I don't understand why this is so hard to give a definitive answer about. I mean, you don't have to reveal any details about the service itself but geeze the system is out in just a little while in Japan heh

Yes. It was heavily implied coming out of the Amsterdam/New York show thing that the 3DS eStore and internet would not be there on day one, but would come in a update at some undefinable point in the future.

We still don't have 100% clear answer. Eurogamer got this answer from Nintendo, Chris and Wired got this other non-committal answer.
Maybe Nintendo read Wired's article and decided not to give them exclusive info anymore (I miss the smileys)

Amir0x said:

I don't get the secrecy and ambiguity either, but I'm still betting that the eShop firmware update will make launch - if NoA thought that wasn't likely to happen, then why wouldn't their spec sheet have included it alongside some of the SpotPass features in the "may not be available at launch" category?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Father_Brain said:
I don't get the secrecy and ambiguity either, but I'm still betting that the eShop firmware update will make launch - if NoA thought that wasn't likely to happen, then why wouldn't their spec sheet have included it alongside some of the SpotPass features in the "may not be available at launch" category?
May bet is that there's a confusion between the store itself and 3DS exclusive down-loadable games. The store could be up day one with VC and DSiWare, but without a "3DSware" title ready for launch. Hence the comments about the DD games for the 3DS being "announced at a later date".

Lonely1 said:
May bet is that there's a confusion between the store itself and 3DS exclusive down-loadable games. The store could be up day one with VC and DSiWare, but without a "3DSware" title ready for launch. Hence the comments about the DD games for the 3DS being "announced at a later date".

Yeah, that's also possible. I think that might just be the case for Japan, seeing as DSiWare wasn't a launch feature there, either; a 3DSWare reveal could happen during the GDC keynote, with 3DSWare being available in all territories by March 27. But who knows?

sfried

Amir0x said:
Via Eurogamer

Thought this would be its own thread considering how big the Wired article topic got turning on this very point:
This is the point where I could say "See, I told you GAF!" but I won't stress it out knowing the "nature of the internets". If only more people actually listened to Kohler in Retronauts, you would've realized he's not (and admittedly) infallible. People report things. They make mistakes. See Kotaku and 3DS battery life for more (mis)information.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Amir0x said:

Because it's Nintendo, if they ever give a straight answer to anything people any to know I'd be surprised.

ataboada

While we are on topic, has anyone heard anything about the movie channel that they were supposed to have? Come to think of it, Netflix would be mighty nice on the 3DS.

Amir0x

Banned
Father_Brain said:

good catch. good point.

sfried said:
If only more people actually listened to Kohler in Retronauts, you would've realized he's not (and admittedly) infallible. People report things. They make mistakes. See Kotaku and 3DS battery life for more (mis)information.

Trust me I don't hold Kohler to any sort of standard that approaches something like "infallible." In fact, one might say I doubt the veracity of his opinions on anything regarding Nintendo. ;)

Anyway, what's this Kotaku 3DS battery life misinformation thing? God this battery life shit keeps getting more confusing. EVERYBODY has weird answers on the subject now

Tempy said:
Too bad Xevious NES is a terrible choice to decide to port over.
I played that at E3. It's actually one of the best choices to port over, because depth has a meaning in gameplay. You aren't just shooting ships that come on the screen, you are also bombing things on the ground. And in the 3DS version, the ground is WAY WAY WAY back in the distance.

Kobun Heat said:
So here's the official word from Nintendo of America.
What's the source of your statement? I've never heard of Charlie Scibetta...

ataboada said:
While we are on topic, has anyone heard anything about the movie channel that they were supposed to have? Come to think of it, Netflix would be mighty nice on the 3DS.

They've said that they're working with studios, but no solid details yet.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Bankoiia said:
Really? I thought for sure all games for virtual handheld would be in 3D.

Nope, just the "Classics 3D" branded titles.

Sipowicz said:
has there been any word on full game installs?

From game cart to SD card? Nah, it's nintendo I seriously doubt it.

Tron 2.0

This is why I love system launches.

Things that are incredibly unimportant are parsed and analyzed to death.

And then the system is released and after a few weeks we can look back on this thread and others like it and laugh at ourselves.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Tron 2.0 said:
This is why I love system launches.

Things that are incredibly unimportant are parsed and analyzed to death.

And then the system is released and after a few weeks we can look back on this thread and others like it and laugh at ourselves.

I gotta admit, I do enjoy this short time before a launch. Its all part of the fun.

Top Bottom