• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 on Wii U to Feature Full 1080p Resolution [Up: Port Dev: No, it's 720p]

Unless Nintendo have a secret Super Wii U hidden away somewhere, and the E3 performance was just a smoke-screen, I suspect that alot of people in here will be dissapointed.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I wouldn't be that surprised if its 1080p, the game runs flawlessly at 60FPS on my PC, while almost all other games have slowdowns once in a while. I dunno what they did to make it run so smoothly, but it works...but i'm going to guess that its probably because there is no options for high quality textures, high shadows, 4x/8x AA and all that usual stuff you get on PC games.

acm2000

its 2012.... the xbox runs it in 720p, and thats 2005 hardware, if wiiu port wasnt 1080p, there would be something horribly wrong with the wiiu

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doesn't the WiiU use an ATI series 7 GPU? It should be more than enough to handle UE3 at 1080p. The CPU seems to be the weak link with the system and most UE3 games don't seem to put too much of a hurting on that aspect of the system.

The GPU reliance of the engine is likely why the PS3 struggles with UE3 games, I'd imagine.

its 2012.... the xbox runs it in 720p, and thats 2005 hardware, if wiiu port wasnt 1080p, there would be something horribly wrong with the wiiu

Not sure if trolling or serious, but I'll bite:
Up to now there has been nothing that would lead one to believe that Wii U would render games at 1080p. All released material, be it screenshots or videos, have been 720p. You're putting it like it'd be a surprise if ME3 came out with 720p, while it's clearly the other way round.

edit:
Doesn't the WiiU use an ATI series 7 GPU? It should be more than enough to handle UE3 at 1080p.

R700 alone says nothing about performance. We don't know the clock speeds, the number of shader cores (equally important!), the RAM performance..
On PC there were some R700 cards which were a lot slower than Xenos, while others were a lot faster.

Up to now there has been nothing that would lead one to believe that Wii U would render games at 1080p. All released material, be it screenshots or videos, have been 720p. You're putting it like it'd be a surprise if ME3 came out with 720p, while it's clearly the other way round.

Not entirely true, there is a 1080p Rayman legends trailer from gamescom, but you're right most of the other wii u material has been 720p.

Pfft, the game would look miles better if BioWare had used a fraction of their time and resources in releasing a hi-res texture pack and putting it in the WiiU version. I'd take 720p with good texturing any day over 1080p with those awful textures, looking at the hi-res faces and extremely pixelated and blurred clothes utterly destroys immersion sometimes .

acm2000

edit:

R700 alone says nothing about performance. We don't know the clock speeds, the number of shader cores (equally important!), the RAM performance..
On PC there were some R700 cards which were a lot slower than Xenos, while others were a lot faster.

r700 series gpu, and enough edram to handle 1080p no AA, means ue3 game bloody better run at 1080p

Bisnic

Pfft, the game would look miles better if BioWare had used a fraction of their time and resources in releasing a hi-res texture pack and putting it in the WiiU version. I'd take 720p with good texturing any day over 1080p with those awful textures, looking at the hi-res faces and extremely pixelated and blurred clothes utterly destroys immersion sometimes .

I never understood why they did that... they can make pretty good looking faces in high res, but cloth and armor textures looks like they're coming from a last-gen game. I mean, how does that happen?

xJavonta

Banned
Doesn't the extra DLC, which they include on disc for free in this one, kind of fixed it?

I don't know, I never touched the game nor watched the ending, but I'm interested to buy it.

I liked the ending. Make the decision for yourself, don't go with public opinion.

r700 series gpu, and enough edram to handle 1080p no AA, means ue3 game bloody better run at 1080p

It won't. No other third-party or even first-party 3D games run at 1080p. Only a handful of 2D games do. Arkham City, another UE3 game, is confirmed to be a 720p game. There's absolutely nothing that suggests that, expections aside, the Wii U will be able to render modern 3D games at 1080p.

We don't know anything about the GPU, only that it supports DX10 features. We are still missing the most important information, which is performance, based on clock speeds and number of shader units.

The site linked is not Nintendo Power, I would not trust them to be right on second hand info.

BTW Check the link again, they have updated it.
The source is NP, NWR just reported on it.

And hey, looks like the "fansite" actually seems to be the one giving out correct information and not rumor peddling. Trust them now? How are bridge sales?

Bisnic

It won't. No other third-party or even first-party 3D games run at 1080p. Only a handful of 2D games do. Arkham City, another UE3 game, is confirmed to be a 720p game. There's absolutely nothing that suggests that, expections aside, the Wii U will be able to render modern 3D games at 1080p.

We don't know anything about the GPU, only that it supports DX10 features. We are still missing the most important information, which is performance, based on clock speeds and number of shader units.

Arkham City is a much more demanding game than ME3 though. At least on PC... :lol

Doesn't the WiiU use an ATI series 7 GPU? It should be more than enough to handle UE3 at 1080p. The CPU seems to be the weak link with the system and most UE3 games don't seem to put too much of a hurting on that aspect of the system.

The GPU reliance of the engine is likely why the PS3 struggles with UE3 games, I'd imagine.
yea the engine still runs like crap on PS3 to this day.

TheD

The Detective
The source is NP, NWR just reported on it.

And hey, looks like the "fansite" actually seems to be the one giving out correct information and not rumor peddling. Trust them now? How are bridge sales?

They did not give correct info!

They just claimed NP said that, they had no proof!

I never understood why they did that... they can make pretty good looking faces in high res, but cloth and armor textures looks like they're coming from a last-gen game. I mean, how does that happen?
My assumption: assets budget. They couldn't do everything high-res due to memory/streaming bandwidth restrictions, so decided on, rather than making everything average, doing great faces (which are the ones mostly seen close-up during dialogues) and average/poor armors, which are mostly seen during normal gameplay, with a more distant camera.

They did not give correct info!

They just claimed NP said that, they had no proof!
720p confirmation comes from NWR. They're just "claiming" it though, and since they're an untrustworthy rumor mongering fansite, I guess we can't take that at face value. Too bad...

Bisnic

My assumption: assets budget. They couldn't do everything high-res due to memory/streaming bandwidth restrictions, so decided on, rather than making everything average, doing great faces (which are the ones mostly seen close-up during dialogues) and average/poor armors, which are mostly seen during normal gameplay, with a more distant camera.

Ah right... this is after all the same developper that deactivated weapons holstering in ME3 due to "memory issues" after adding the new dodge and heavy melee actions. Are the current consoles that weak? It's about fucking time we get to next-gen.

TheD

The Detective
720p confirmation comes from NWR. They're just "claiming" it though, and since they're an untrustworthy rumor mongering fansite, I guess we can't take that at face value. Too bad...

All screens we have seen have all been 720p, they also have a direct quote from the dev.

The other number was nothing more than a completely unsupported rumor claiming that someone else wrote something.

People still belive WiiU is just on par ? Bogles the mind

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Resolution is an easy to scale thing, all the GFX effects as well. It doesn't take that much memory.

Mass effect 3 was designed with 450MB of RAM so the dev kit 1 GB available should be more than enough.

Remember Mass Effect 3 is a cheap port, it's not going to get re-done textures or anything like that.

Don't be silly ... we know there is very low chance of hardware upscaling specifically there to be a standard for use, atleast promoted by nintendo, there is no reason for it, if for some reason there is it's probably a dev who made it work with GPU by him self if GPU even supports it.

What on earth is that ?

Where do you people got these ridicolous ideas ?

Since when does "1080p support" mean "upscaled from 720p"

My god

You just better stay away from tech talk.

What told you that ?

I've followed all the speculation threads and I did my own research to make sure, it was a lot of effort though.

The only reason to go with that is with a FPS focused title such as a racer to get 60FPS at given visuals. Pretty much developer's choice, if they want more rich visuals they go 720p to get acceptable FPS. That's all.

There was already reported that Assasins Creed 3 and Batman will have 1080p; So I have no idea what's with the problem with everyone about Mass Effect 3.

It's like this all doubt-ill information makes me confused for no reason and I definitely want to avoid that.

Can't you people get it already, it's not on par, it's a lot better console, these ports aren't even topping out the half of available RAM. Stop doubting this what was established in 2011, we've all seen the Zelda demo, and that was just an early prototype.

This dude's rambling, fanatical posts are pretty funny to read after the fact. A bit frightening as well.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Oh no! My eyes won't be able to handle the shitty 720p! How will I ever play my games!?!?!

'o_0

Oppo

Stewox. a shining future you will have here. lol.

As for the actual article/idea.... you know I get my back up a bit when I read "lazy port" there aren't any lazy ports. There may be bottom-line decisions made above the actual developers, there may be (of course) technical limitations, and there are what I would call unsuccessful ports. but developers are not lazy and they don't want to work on crap games. I think we should keep that in mind.

Also just because a machine may be more powerful doesn't mean that the devs get to toggle a few more flags like your fancy new video card and make the game better. doesn't work that way. Wii U looks to have more GPU (good) and more RAM (very good) but a slowish CPU. How that affects each individual game will vary. If its a port, the U will see largely the same issue as the PS3 - I.e. there is extra performance in there if you really want to dig fo rit, but on whole there is no mandate to do so. They have to pick the lowest common denominator in almost all cases.

All screens we have seen have all been 720p, they also have a direct quote from the dev.

The other number was nothing more than a completely unsupported rumor claiming that someone else wrote something.
Direct quote? How do we know? Where's the "proof"?

You seem to have issues understanding the definition of "rumor". NWR cited a source and issue number even, simply reporting the stated information. The info was wrong, and there were legitimate reasons to doubt it (720p media, EA being EA, questionable UE3 port performance, farmed out port, etc) but the notion that it was a "fansite" reporting a "rumor" certainly wasn't one of them. You were embarrasingly off the mark on that one.

2MF

I wish Nintendo would release the specs already so that the constant speculation would stop. The Wii was the only console for which they didn't release specs, will this become a trend? :/

Dragon

Banned
Oh no! My eyes won't be able to handle the shitty 720p! How will I ever play my games!?!?!

'o_0

2012 hardware can't run 1080p when a launch PS3 game can. Let's put that in perspective. This is an epic failure on the porting devs part. There's no other way around it, strawman it all you want.

NBtoaster

2012 hardware can't run 1080p when a launch PS3 game can. Let's put that in perspective. This is an epic failure on the porting devs part. There's no other way around it, strawman it all you want.

So it's an epic failure on Nintendo's part too for making 720p games? (Mario, Pikmin, Wii Sports etc)

It's most likely Nintendo's fault because they are bad at supporting third party.

Kacho

Can't say this is surprising news. I'm OK with 720p, though. I can tell the difference between 480p and 720p, but not between 720p and 1080p.

Top Bottom