• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 7, 2013 (Feb 11 - Feb 17)

The market is either dead or seems wide open for someone to do well besides the 3DS. Either Nintendo will recover and and do well with the Wii U this fall, Sony will have strong launch and good momentum, or both, but I just can't see the market staying completely dead outside of the 3DS for a long time.

JoeM86

I know it seems far fetched right now, but if a Mario Kart U + Mario 3D U + price drop combo happens this fall, I don't see that not working. And I don't see anything on PS3/PS4 selling better.

It could destroy future consumer faith in Nintendo though

miksar

I know it seems far fetched right now, but if a Mario Kart U + Mario 3D U + price drop combo happens this fall, I don't see that not working. And I don't see anything on PS3/PS4 selling better.
Even if it happens, I see its effects jeopardized by 3DS. I mean this thing is a monster and could pottentially have the biggest console Christmas ever if Nintendo and 3rd parties come up with a great line-up and bundles. Because of it I predict that Japanese in general will not pay much attention to home consoles this year.

The market is either dead or seems wide open for someone to do well besides the 3DS.
There's certainly room for a home console, right now its the PS3 to a small degree. Next-gen is up for grabs. Western market will force one home console to do well in Japan.

It could destroy future consumer faith in Nintendo though
Why? Price drop after 1 year is normal.

Even if it happens, I see its effects jeopardized by 3DS. I mean this thing is a monster and could pottentially have the biggest console Christmas ever if Nintendo and 3rd parties come up with a great line-up and bundles. Because of it I predict that Japanese in general will not pay much attention to home consoles this year.
Home consoles and handhelds have always coexisted. It can be done, if Nintendo puts in the effort. Look how the Wii was selling despite DS' success or GBA despite PS2's.

BadWolf

I wonder how long they can keep banking on the same few IPs to pull them through.

They seriously need to create some new one's. Not like Wii Sports but IPs like Mario, Zelda etc that can be carried over from generation to generation and platform to platform.

How and why did they release the Wii U without a steady stream of library? And they said they learnt from 3DS' launch.

Because their development teams ran into some delays. That's all there is to it, really. They had launch window titles planned but they were pushed back.

Laguna

Banned

3DS will get the most attention, but it seems you are ignoring that it will also affect PS3 and PS4 sales and I agree that a possible Mario Kart+Mario 3D holiday lineup in Japan will be more popular than anything their direct competitors can come up with.

JoeM86

How could a price drop would destroy consumer faith in Nintendo? We heard similar stuff when the 3DS price drop was announced and this didn't happened.

Why because something cost less a year after it was released? Shouldn't that be the norm with any electronic device?

Because people would stop buying consoles at launch and just wait the few months for a pricedrop. The 3DS DID have an effect on this. I often see people just say they want one but are waiting for the price drop this year

Man, the Wii U.

Those sales are too good for Nintendo after what they've done to that console.

Less Wii Street U, more account systems and actual games.

Because people would stop buying consoles at launch and just wait the few months for a pricedrop. The 3DS DID have an effect on this. I often see people just say they want one but are waiting for the price drop this year
They're waiting on the price drop coz there's no games and the price is high. Its pretty simple really.

graphique07.png

jwhit28

So people are waiting for a price drop this year. Nintendo should avoid dropping the price why?

Just don't bring an overpriced release again and this will not happen.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

WiiU has a NSMB and a Monster Hunter and will have access to a DQ, yet is selling behind the PS3 right now, an old console. You're applying too much of the 3DS and DS success to the console equivalent. The Wii was an anomaly due to its casual reach and focus, and those people then also got the Mario's for that system they own already. WiiU just aint gonna claim that sort of install base. Its back to Gamecube-land.

lherre

Accurate
I will launch a question here (where the sales experts are :) )

What effect will have a ps4 launch with a "main" Final Fantasy game with it? I'm not saying it will be the case of course, but it will be interesting (and with main FF i'm sure you all know what title is). Altough FF games are a bit down currently. But a fight with this vs mario titles will be curious to see.

JoeM86

So people are waiting for a price drop this year. Nintendo should avoid dropping the price why?

They're already losing money on each system sold. To drop the price will likely increase sales, sure, but it'd be at severe detriment to the company's financials. While they'd likely recover, it'd just put them back in the red right after they managed to climb out of it

miksar

3DS will get the most attention, but it seems you are ignoring that it will also affect PS3 and PS4 sales and I agree that a possible Mario Kart+Mario 3D holiday lineup in Japan will be more popular than anything their direct competitors can come up with.
PS4 sales will be awful. I don't see any possible launch PS4 game making a big impact in Japan unless it is an up-port of something huge like FFXIII Versus and still one game won't be enough as New Super Mario Bros. U already showed. Sony has become too Western-centered, and I can't honestly blame them.

What effect will have a ps4 launch with a "main" Final Fantasy game with it? I'm not saying it will be the case of course, but it will be interesting (and with main FF i'm sure you all know what title is). Altough FF games are a bit down currently. But a fight with this vs mario titles will be curious to see.

Completely price dependent and whether said game is still on the PS3. In general I wouldn't bet on FF alone if I was Sony to somehow be able to compete with the slaughter the 3DS is going to do this fall. If Sony wants the PS4 to do well they need to have a varied launch lineup (Tales, Yakuza,...er I struggle to think of a big home console franchise.) and then make sure that it continues afterwords. Looking at what the rumored prices are, along with who could actually have a launch game, along with the 3DS I see the PS4 falling flat on it's face in Japan. Sony may surprise me tonight though.

jwhit28

They're already losing money on each system sold. To drop the price will likely increase sales, sure, but it'd be at severe detriment to the company's financials. While they'd likely recover, it'd just put them back in the red right after they managed to climb out of it

No that doesn't really make sense with Nintendo when a sale of the console almost guarantees sale of Nintendo software. There are plenty things they can do. Ditch the stands and cradle, offer a digital game with a $250 Base set. They can afford it and when they have enough quality software released to increase the excitement around a price drop they will do it.

No matter how new it is, the level of tech or what games are on it, when you walk into the video games aisle the Wii U is still the most expensive product there.

I may have missed it in the last direct, but did they actually show Wii Sports or was it just Wii Party?Also the Wii Sports team just got done with Animal Crossing and Nintendoland. Unless they hand it off to another team or the game is barely anything new which I think would be a mistake.
Wii Sports U has probably been in development all along (hey Golf demo), I don't think EAD2 is quite so segmented in their R&D as you're indicating. They originally delivered Animal Crossing DS, Wii Sports and Wii Play all within a year too.

But Wii Party U is a soft you bought when you already own the system. I don't think it will sell the console. And it will in a certain manner end up as bad advertising because it looks visually cheap as fuck. Expect a lot of "WiiU as powerful as Wii".
Like I mentioned earlier, I think it may be more about reaching a tipping point than bursting out with a lone system seller. Wii U isn't going to go lile Wii did, that's already abundantly clear.

Have any of you actually talked to casuals about the Wii U and their opinion of it? While anecdotal, I have and most are really confused, if not turned off by the Wii U.

Let's take my wife for example. She loves the Wii, but because of the Wii remote and playing games like Wii sports bowling and just dance with her niece. She also likes the kinect at times.

When she saw an ad for the Wii U, she asked "Is that a new Nintendo unit?" And I said "Yes." "What's the difference?" and I say "greatly improved graphics and a tablet stytle controller being the centerpiece" and she says "no thanks, I want more with the Wii remote games. I don't need another tablet."

I did tell her the Wii remotes work but honestly are not the centerpiece like it was with the Wii. Which goes on to tell me that all the popular casual titles for the Wii may not translate over to the Wii U with the gamepad being the new centerpiece. Also the price didn't help either.
I'm just looking at Japanese sales, there's still a sizable audience for this sort of software in the region on tvs. Wii's done, so where does that audience go next? PS3? Wii U? PS4?

It will be interesting to see which console asserts itself in Japan - unlike with the Wii, the Wii U's slow start really leaves an opening for Sony. In the end, more than 20 million consoles were sold this gen in Japan so there is still a sizable market to take advantage of.

No that doesn't really make sense with Nintendo when a sale of the console almost guarantees sale of Nintendo software. There are plenty things they can do. Ditch the stands and cradle, offer a digital game with a $250 Base set. They can afford it and when they have enough quality software released to increase the excitement around a price drop they will do it.

No matter how new it is, the level of tech or what games are on it. When you walk into the video games aisle the Wii U is still the most expensive product there.

That quote from Reggie was later debunked. It takes more than that for the Wii U to profit.

Edit: Misread the post. Sorry about that. Ditching the stands and cradle might not achieve very much though.

Celine

There won't be a main FF at the PS4 launch (it's highly unlikely).

* Only exception I could see if it is a port from a PS3 version.

lherre

Accurate
There won't be a main FF at the PS4 launch (it's highly unlikely).

* Only exception I could see if it is a port from a PS3 version.

I'm assuming the last rumors putting the development in ps4 for almost 2 years (exactly the time it wasn't shown again to the fans).

Because everyone expecting a price drop no matter what is really bad for anyone's economy.
Ah, and because they're loosing money for each console they sell, so loosing more money per unit it's not a great plan of business no matter how you look at it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'm assuming the last rumors putting the development in ps4 for almost 2 years (exactly the time it wasn't shown again to the fans).
This would be weird since SE never launches their high profile games at launch, they normally wait for the user base to grow a lil bit and it would definitely sell less than on PS3. Would love it to be a PS4 game but it's unlikely.

Kenka

First, I would say this is possible in theory only, S-E will never line a main FF up for a console launch unless it is an online title who would benefit from early exposure in the machine's lifecycle, like FF XI on X360. Secondly, I think the impact of online FF titles on hardware purchase decisions is nothing in comparison to Mario's. When a Mario is launched you have millions of people lining up to buy the hardware to play it. OK, the timing to say that is not optimal with WiiU's sluggish start but I still think the point is relevant.

In short: Mario drives hardware sales while Online FF doesn't. Hence, in a console war, the former wins in terms of appeal. And forget about Versus being a launch game for PS4.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This would be weird since SE never launches their high profile games at launch, they normally wait for the user base to grow a lil bit and it would definitely sell less than on PS3. Would love it to be a PS4 game but it's unlikely.

I wouldn't call Versus an high profile game.
and could be multiplatform with PS3 even.

Btw, impressive 3DS both hw and sw wise...and Wii U able to beat both Vita and PSP!!! WOW

:lol:

What software? There will be a little bump when Pikmin 3 releases but we won´t see a real system seller until october/november. That´s a glorious 8 months of 10k a week.

I don't think anyone outside of a piddly selection of people will care about pikmin3. Its definitely not a system seller.

Magicpaint said:
It will be interesting to see which console asserts itself in Japan - unlike with the Wii, the Wii U's slow start really leaves an opening for Sony.
If the PS4/WiiU were launching alongside each other as PS3/Wii did, sure. But having a head start can change everything. 3DS started off much slower than DS, but Vita still had tougher launch competition than PSP did.
I don't think anyone outside of a piddly selection of people will care about pikmin3. Its definitely not a system seller.
It is worth noting that even though Pikmin 2 ended up at nearly 500K on GameCube in Japan, it still didn't push hardware over 10K on opening week.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I wouldn't call Versus an high profile game.
and could be multiplatform with PS3 even.

Btw, impressive 3DS both hw and sw wise...and Wii U able to beat both Vita and PSP!!! WOW

:lol:
What would you call it then? It's definitely a big budget title which has been in development for a long time and releasing such a game on consoles with a user base of zero doesn't sound like SE to me.

WiiU has a NSMB and a Monster Hunter and will have access to a DQ, yet is selling behind the PS3 right now, an old console. You're applying too much of the 3DS and DS success to the console equivalent. The Wii was an anomaly due to its casual reach and focus, and those people then also got the Mario's for that system they own already. WiiU just aint gonna claim that sort of install base. Its back to Gamecube-land.
There's a big range between Wii and Gamecube numbers and Nintendo didn't exactly hit the latter overnight.

If anything, I think Wii U might look more like N64. 5-6m install base with several 1st party million sellers. GC numbers (3-4m, 1 million seller) seems just too low after the strides Nintendo's made with their brands in the past decade (Wii _____ series explosion, classic Mario revival, etc).

Mileena

Banned
My god, Wii U is gonna decimate the competition (Bar 3DS) this Winter. Still 2 Wii U games in the top 20. It's a slow start but with Mario Kart + Mario 3D U + slight price drop, Wii U is going to crush PS3 and PS4 at the end of the year, it will be the 3DS all over again.
LOL

You gathered that from the system about to drop below 10k

The market is either dead or seems wide open for someone to do well besides the 3DS. Either Nintendo will recover and and do well with the Wii U this fall, Sony will have strong launch and good momentum, or both, but I just can't see the market staying completely dead outside of the 3DS for a long time.

People keep calling Japan things like Handheld land but end of the day I don't see a big difference from now to last gen; only now we have a long generation reaching its end.

Wii U and PS3 have no games driving sales.
Wii U will sell much better this Q3/Q4 if they get those games that their working on finally start getting published. PS4 will sell well but thats dependent on software that we don't know enough about.

PS4 could get in a Wii Usituation if it doesn't have games to drive sales in Japan.
But those games will eventually come.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I still can't believe how well the original 3DS is selling. That thing is horrendous in every way possible.

Good bye, Wii U. Give my regards to Vita when you swing by.

I do expect 13-3 to be SE's big Wii U game this fall. Versus won't launch on PS4 just for the fact that 13-3 is launching this year.

Top Bottom