• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers: Exclusive sneak peak of Unreal 4 engine (actually new demo)

MarkV

The full demo is insane, everything is just top notch and i'm not talking only about the mere visual side.

I'm really impressed.

Danielsan

It looks amazing, but if that demo is anything to go by, hair will still be shit.
If next gen gets to that level by the end of the generation than I'll be thoroughly impressed.

Also the robot at the end looks straight out of Killzone.

i-Lo

Full tech demo via Gamestar.de.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr2oHPSJ0m8

Wonderful.

Oh my! The level of detail (polygon), the lighting, the usage of soft chromatic aberration, the animation (the hair; hopefully driven by physics) are just magnificent.

If the XB3/PS4 can pull that off even at 720p30fps, I'll jump in day 1. I just hope that anti-aliasing is made available because this looked smooth.

Also, Unreal Engine redeemed after UE3's trademark signs are now no longer visible.

KKRT00

Except for shadow quality in some scenes everything was top notch, especially lighting and geometry [tons of polygons]. I'm very impressed with presentation, but i'm also curious right now, is this a game? Because if its not, they spent ton of money on this demo.
Also must know what hardware they are using in this quality, probably 2x Titan.

now that. that looked next gen.

Good job epic... wonder what the specs were on the pc which ran it.

Seems like they managed to retain that UE3 vaseline look... at least in this demo.

I have been consistently overly harsh about Unreal Engine 3... and this looks miles ahead of it...

I am not detecting any Unreal Engine Vaseline... or that typical look.

KKRT00

1:17 water reaction on body wow, that is amazing if thats actual simulation.

Screen Space Reflections bugs still evident here :)

It's really hard to tell. One thing is sure though. It will take some years until the games actually reach the same visual level as the tech demos.
Did you saw Battlefield 4 unveiling? That's all gameplay there. What im tring to say here is that save for the hugely contarsting theme and settings, effects wise both showcases seem to be on even ground. Dice has the gigantic obstacle of doing a game that mimics reality, this demo been all scifi gives it an important advantage. Plus there isn't any demostration of facial animation in this demo, something that's really hard to do convincingly.

More over this has the benefit of been a cinematic, so the use of dramatic camera angles helps the presentation a lot. In terms of animation, the battlefield 4 demo was a steop forward also, characters moved with a realistic sense of weight. So we could say we already saw a game that sports this level of visual quality.
The final piece of the puzzle, this means we can get comparable compexity in a PS4, sacrificing resolution and IQ. Not bad at all.

red731

That looked pretty good, but why won't they show some more color and no people. Something different I guess.
The intentions are of course how it can animate people in realistic ways and show how good dark colors look.

Something Bosman said about oranges...

i-Lo

If there is just one tiny thing that I can nitpick (because everything else is just so well done) is that 2:44 mark if you look carefully, you'll notice as the scene changes from the protagonist's face to the city, there quite a bit of light source pop in (occurs within less than second). Pretty sure it can be rectified down the line.

The demo started off with Star Wars vibe and then ended with KZ vibe (with those long red hanging banners in the honour of the ruling party).

So guys, would you take this level of fidelity at 720p30fps next gen?

If there is just one tiny thing that I can nitpick (because everything else is just so well done) is that 2:44 mark if you look carefully, you'll notice as the scene changes from the protagonist's face to the city, there quite a bit of light source pop in (occurs within less than second). Pretty sure it can be rectified down the line.

The demo started off with Star Wars vibe and then ended with KZ vibe (with those long red hanging banners in the honour of the ruling party).

So guys, would take this level of fidelity at 720p30fps next gen?

The issue with 30 fps is that higher framerate isn't simply a graphical improvement, it improves control responsiveness immensely. The majority of genres, especially action games, benefit much more from a 60fps framerate than any graphical bell or whistle.

Wow, not even a Titan. If my PC can come close to achieving this, it gives an eye opening look at the real wasted potential caused by this long generation.

The issue with 30 fps is that higher framerate isn't simply a graphical improvement, it improves control responsiveness immensely. The majority of genres, especially action games, benefit much more from a 60fps framerate than any graphical bell or whistle.

Wow, not even a Titan. If my PC can come close to achieving this, it gives an eye opening look at the real wasted potential caused by this long generation.

the german article actually says that the demo is running on a ps4 devkit despite the former elemantal demo, which was running on a geforce 680 gtx.
edit:
sry i totally misinterpreted the section :(

Kinyou

Did you saw Battlefield 4 unveiling? That's all gameplay there. What im tring to say here is that save for the hugely contarsting theme and settings, effects wise both showcases seem to be on even ground. Dice has the gigantic obstacle of doing a game that mimics reality, this demo been all scifi gives it an important advantage. Plus there isn't any demostration of facial animation in this demo, something that's really hard to do convincingly.

More over this has the benefit of been a cinematic, so the use of dramatic camera angles helps the presentation a lot. In terms of animation, the battlefield 4 demo was a steop forward also, characters moved with a realistic sense of weight. So we could say we already saw a game that sports this level of visual quality.
I should have been more clear and have said "it will take some time until UE4 games will look like that."

This is what the first demos of the Unreal 3 engine looked like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5X6_tuY3Wk

http://youtu.be/1m7T5ay_8DI?t=5m39s

Unreal Tournament or Gears of War 1 were not on that level.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
A short translation of the original text:

- Increased details, particles, lighting. Especially the scene where the guy's shoe is featured looks stunningly detailed.

- Epic says: All objects are true 3D, even the backdrops on the horizon. The panoramic view looks awesome, but especially so if you realize there is no skybox - even the mountains are geometry.

- Marc Rein: Even though the amount of detail is substancially higher than what we know of, the hardware requirements aren't. Same to when the Elemental demo was shown, this is running on a GTX680 (Gamestar had no chance to actually confirm this though).

Questioned about if this will run in the same form on PS4, Rein didn't want to give a straight answer. Gamestar thinks it would (but they have no clue about the console market, if you ask me).

Epic also showed new tools for developers, to allow quicker work with polygon meshes and materials than with UE3. A scripting tool named "Blueprint" will allow designers to define specific scenes without programming knowledge. Also interesting: "Real" lights can be integrated into the engine, light sources measured by the IES system can directly be moved to UE4 and allow particular realistic and natural lighting.

Rein didn'T comment on when to expect first UE4 games, Gamestar guesses "not before 2014".

There you go.

Top Bottom