• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS System Update (StreetPass Relay Feature)

Remember not to close the Plaza app or you lose the 10 that are already through the gate.

this is no longer the case. you will only lose the ten already through the gate if you go back to the gate. starting up the plaza with miis that still haven't played games will prompt you to play games before going to the gate. just a heads up. once you have them in the plaza, you can go ahead and play other stuff now.

i'm not sure how long that's been the case, but it's definitely the case.

webrunner

I got one other person who was obviously trying to do the same thing (his recent playing game was the Nintendo Zone Viewer)

this is no longer the case. you will only lose the ten already through the gate if you go back to the gate. starting up the plaza with miis that still haven't played games will prompt you to play games before going to the gate. just a heads up. once you have them in the plaza, you can go ahead and play other stuff now.

i'm not sure how long that's been the case, but it's definitely the case.
Yes this is accurate.

Robin64

Jealous of you guys getting passes since the update. Going to take a walk tonight again, through the 8 Zones I have, see if anything happens yet, but I am not very hopeful.

My most bizarre pass of all time must be one I got as I was bombing up the M1, though. Very odd.

pahamrick

You can set up your own relays, which is awesome. I was messing around and changed the SSID on my router to attwifi, then turned off the protection just to check out the Nintendo Zone stuff.

My buddy was over with his 3DS, and we had already street passed but not 10 seconds after I closed the 3DS to fix my router settings both of our systems started with the green flashing and sure enough we both registered new street passes for each other. At least I know a sure fire way to get 2 street passes a day since I've yet to get a hit at any of the other hotspots.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You can set up your own relays, which is awesome. I was messing around and changed the SSID on my router to attwifi, then turned off the protection just to check out the Nintendo Zone stuff.

My buddy was over with his 3DS, and we had already street passed but not 10 seconds after I closed the 3DS to fix my router settings both of our systems started with the green flashing and sure enough we both registered new street passes for each other. At least I know a sure fire way to get 2 street passes a day since I've yet to get a hit at any of the other hotspots.

You know, if there were an easy way to set up a proxy for your router, GAF could share a collective virtual Nintendo Zone simply by having each person set their router to attwifi and then connecting to the proxy.

I assume Nintendo's servers use the IP address of the router to register the location, so if we all appeared to be using the same IP address, it should act as a single relay point.

Alec

You know, if there were an easy way to set up a proxy for your router, GAF could share a collective virtual Nintendo Zone simply by having each person set their router to attwifi and then connecting to the proxy.

I assume Nintendo's servers use the IP address of the router to register the location, so if we all appeared to be using the same IP address, it should act as a single relay point.

I love this idea.

Oxx

It legitimately takes 30 minutes to go through all 6 Streetpass games when you have a full crew. Even rushing through using R.

Final total: 20 passes today.

Tom_Cody

Final total: 20 passes today.
Nice!
It legitimately takes 30 minutes to go through all 6 Streetpass games when you have a full crew. Even rushing through using R.
Seriously.

I used to go through them every night but now I try to wait until I need to clear them out (approaching 10) or unless I have a lot of free time and I'm specifically excited to go through them.

GulAtiCa

Already got a few relay streetpasses yesterday because of this. The Barnes and Nobles and McDonalds inside my local WalMart both produced results.

Im ready for this.

STG

So yeah, I wrote an E-Mail to Nintendo Germany and they said, the only nintendo zones we have, are those on the hotspot map.

That means, no McDonalds, no Starbucks no nothing! just some random Hotels.

All hotspots I can find are "The Cloud" ones in hotels, restaurants and some mobile-phone shops. That's it.

The next "nintendo zone" for me is like 60km away in a place no man has gone before.

Fantastic!

iphys

What firmware is this non-updated 3DS? Nintendo is conflicted in weather it works on all versions above 6 or all versions above 6.xxxx.12. If it below 6 then it was certainly not a relay but if it is <6.xxx.12 then it might still be.

The non-updated one is 6.1.0-12U. The thing is, if they had both received data from the relay, I would have expected one of them to receive the data of the other rather than simultaneously receiving data from 2 other people. I was there with 2 other people, and both their systems got green lights simultaneously about 2 minutes after mine did, so we thought they got tags from the relay, but then it turned out their systems had actually tagged each other after they'd just tagged 2 hours previously. I guess that's probably a sign that the relay is up that it forced their systems to tag again so soon, but I don't understand why neither of them got my data then. Maybe the relay gets confused when you have too many 3DSes appear at the same time, and just starts telling them to tag each other directly rather than transmitting the data back and forth?

Tom_Cody

Woot woot!

I just returned to the same McDonald's I went to yesterday. I went through the drive-through and I got a tag (the time in the notification confirms it).

This is so awesome! It is great to see that it is working, but more than that it is great to see that the range is strong enough to allow literal drive-by Street Pass tagging.

We have entered a new era.

M3d10n

I'm up for it. I'm using a mac as hotspot, so routing my internet through a proxy should be trivial.

Oxx

I think 20 might be the maximum I'll get out of relay. I can't see myself walking any further than I did today.

Obviously there's a chance of augmenting that number with real people.

Maybe the relay gets confused when you have too many 3DSes appear at the same time, and just starts telling them to tag each other directly rather than transmitting the data back and forth?
Apparently Nintendo zones mess with natural tagging anyway as the 3DS tries to connect to the zone and does not transmit or listen to other 3DS systems when doing so.

I think 20 might be the maximum I'll get out of relay. I can't see myself walking any further than I did today.

Obviously there's a chance of augmenting that number with real people.
So you can get a max of 20 at a time now? Or is it even higher than that?

This update seems to have improved StreetPass a lot. I got five StreetPass Mii Plaza hits just by going down the shops and even got an Animal Crossing hit from someone who'd also called their town Lordran. Result. I'll be over the moon if I get an SMT4 hit. (Location: East London)

Looks like it's related to the MAC address: http://gbatemp.net/threads/has-anyo...e-streetpass-relay.352410/page-3#post-4733681

jjgames

I went to 4 Nintendo Zone locations near my house and didn't get a single Street Pass. Hopefully I seeded it for everyone else and will get some when I go back in a day or two.

Are people just walking by the locations? No need to stop and wait?

I've been lurking the internet and read that you can get 2 or more streetpass tags from the same 3DS if you use the SSID trick (so the 8 hour restriction doesn't apply) and that someone in Germany already managed to tag another person in Russia by spoofing MAC address/SSID/something.

If it really works then it's just a matter of time for people to release how-to's and we'll be able to tag people from around the world by using our computers/routers :eek:

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Warning! Convoluted story alert!

So. I thought I'd experiment to see if Streetpass Relay worked with my 2 3DS consoles - a Zelda 3DS and a Black 3DS (my original 3DS which I've loaned to an ultra-casual gamer in my household who only uses it to play Puzzle Bobble.)

Two days ago, I took my Zelda 3DS out with me and visited the 3 Nintendo Zones in my area. Meanwhile, I left my other Black 3DS at home and turned the wireless off.

Tonight, I took my Black 3DS out with me, waited until I was out of range from my Zelda 3DS and turned wireless back on, re-visiting the first of the 3 Zones. If I got a streetpass from my other 3DS, I'd know the Relay worked.

A green light appeared! SUCCESS!!

However, I didn't Streetpass myself - I Streetpassed someone called "Bongo"

I never expected this! I've had the 3DS since launch, and I've never streetpassed anyone in my hometown.

I was shocked! I was also slightly annoyed as the Zelda 3DS is my main 3DS and the one with all the games on. GAAAAH!!!!! But at least he had a pink puzzle piece!

Not wanting to miss out at the other 2 locations, I returned home and swapped 3DS consoles. As I did so, they passed themselves. I completed the games and got a new hat.

Intrigued, I visted the 1st location yet again only to receive another streetpass. This was from myself, yesterday - which, according to Nintendo isn't meant to be possible. But it did happen!!! It was my Mii before the new hat, wearing a different outfit - as I was 2 days ago. (In other words, it seems to think you're a different person if you buy a new hat.)

How I got Bongo the first time, I just don't know - unless he just happened to pass by just then, but the chances of that must be astronomical considering how I always take my 3DS out with me all the time and have NEVER got a single hit in my town that wasn't myself in 2 years.

Then, I headed off to the other locations. Nothing there. Oh well, can't win them all.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
It appears that "spoofing" a Nintendo Zone works perfectly well for cross-country/continent Streetpass relaying.

1. Change your wifi router/stick/phone MAC address to a shared one.
  2. Change your router/stick/phone SSID to attwifi (or any other "good" Nintendo Zone ID)
  3. Close your 3DS in sleep mode.

Now, I've only gotten ONE Streetpass (out of three attempts), but others have gotten my streetpass data. When I rebooted the router after changing the MAC and SSID, it worked better. I'm suspicious there is still a time delay between Relay Streetpass attempts, though, as I can't connect to a point that others are.

This is culled from a thread over on GBATemp that someone else linked to here on NeoGAF.

If anyone wants to try this, we just need to pick a MAC address for the NeoGaf Virtual Relay...

GDGF

Soothsayer
I went to the two Nintendo Zones within walking distance to me thinking I was gonna have to Johnny Appleseed this thing and walked away with two hits instead.

Guess it's working :)

Elija2

Oh man, when this worldwide StreetPass relay thing is figured out I might actually finish a puzzle. I hope Nintendo don't ruin it for everyone and prevent people from doing it anymore.

Ghazi

They should troll everyone and start giving out Street Passes between people in alternate dimensions, it'd be pretty cool if you ask me.

It appears that "spoofing" a Nintendo Zone works perfectly well for cross-country/continent Streetpass relaying.

1. Change your wifi router/stick/phone MAC address to a shared one.
  2. Change your router/stick/phone SSID to attwifi (or any other "good" Nintendo Zone ID)
  3. Close your 3DS in sleep mode.

Now, I've only gotten ONE Streetpass (out of three attempts), but others have gotten my streetpass data. When I rebooted the router after changing the MAC and SSID, it worked better. I'm suspicious there is still a time delay between Relay Streetpass attempts, though, as I can't connect to a point that others are.

This is culled from a thread over on GBATemp that someone else linked to here on NeoGAF.

If anyone wants to try this, we just need to pick a MAC address for the NeoGaf Virtual Relay...
Just make a mac address for us and ill mess with my router tonight since its flashed with ddwrt.

Try to make it a simple one for obvious reasons.

scurker

Just tested the Nintendo zone spoofing method, and it works! Not sure if there's a delay or no one connected, but I didn't seem to get more than one.

Finally, I can get more than 1 street pass every two weeks.

Is there a PAL alternative to the Nintendo Zone spoofing method?

Its seemingly region free. I'm going to leave my 3ds idle on that spotpass for the night while I'm off to bed. Btw I'm Sean from Delaware.

The way I am currently doing the spoofing is by changing the MAC adresses on my DDWRT flashed router to the neogaf MAC id and then changing my SSID to "Bestbuy" no quotes.

Its seemingly region free. I'm going to leave my 3ds idle on that spotpass for the night while I'm off to bed. Btw I'm Sean from Delaware.

The way I am currently doing the spoofing is by changing the MAC adresses on my DDWRT flashed router to the neogaf MAC id and then changing my SSID to "Bestbuy" no quotes.

OK, I'll try and do the same in a few hours' time and report back if I have any success.

EDIT: No luck this time, had some trouble with my router. But your data should be on Nintendo's servers now if all went well, so I'll try again another time.

iphys

Awesome, I was just able to use my MacBook to tag "Duke" from Russia and get a pink piece I needed for Dream Team. I connected my MacBook to my router by cable, then shared my connection over Wi-Fi. I opened a terminal and entered:

sudo ifconfig en1 ether 40:53:50:4F:4F:46

to change the MAC address for my Wi-Fi. Then I went to Sharing and selected Internet to be shared from Ethernet to computers using Wi-Fi, and then for Wi-Fi options I entered _The Cloud for network name and security none. For some reason it still kept showing my old MAC address in Sharing, but after finagling for a bit I finally got the tag.

Awesome, I was just able to use my MacBook to tag "Duke" from Russia and get a pink piece I needed for Dream Team. I connected my MacBook to my router by cable, then shared my connection over Wi-Fi. I opened a terminal and entered:

to change the MAC address for my Wi-Fi. Then I went to Sharing and selected Internet to be shared from Ethernet to computers using Wi-Fi, and then for Wi-Fi options I entered _The Cloud for network name and security none. For some reason it still kept showing my old MAC address in Sharing, but after finagling for a bit I finally got the tag.

That should make my life a lot easier, I'm using a MacBook too. Thanks for posting the explanation, that's a brilliant tip!

M3d10n

Oh god, it worked! I just streetpassed someone from Tennessee! Oh boy, pink pieces here I come!

-- EDIT --
Dear lord, the guy is LOADED with pink pieces! Thanks Mitchel!

I have a spare wireless N stick on my shelf, but next to no networking knowledge. Can anyone post or link me to IDIOTPROOF instructions on how I can use it to spoof away like a pro anytime I hook it up?

Top Bottom