• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayonnaise is king of US condiments, ketchup 2nd, soy sauce edges BBQ sauce for 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I don't think people hate mustard. Think about it, when people put ketchup on a hotdog or hamburger, they put a generous amount. When they put mustard on anything, it's always a small amount. Even in sandwiches where you put both, more amount of ketchup is used. Again, not hated but the perfect ratio gives mustard sales a disadvantage.

Ketchup on a sandwich? Wha?!

Also, I don't trust any person who doesn't like mayo.

..and mayo is used in considerable more ways than ketchup, so it's not surprising. Besides, it's really just egg yolks and oil.

Mlatador

Banned
mustard is where it deserves to be, at the bottom!

ikWL3Sytf7YAf.gif

I fucking lol'd ^^

Is this counting all of the things that mayo is used in, beyond just mayo as a condiment? It is used for a lot of other types of spreads/dressings/etc.

J@hranimo

Banned
Why the hell is mustard so low? I mean I can understand "yellow" mustard, it's very plain and basic, but stuff like dijon, spicy, and honey mustard are the shit.

I love ketchup on my hotdogs. I hate mustard though. Its so nasty it almost makes me vomit.

Mayo is also nasty. I dont really like it on anything except maybe a chicken sandwich.

Mayo and Ketchup are my two least favorite condiments of the big ones. Highly prefer mustard. My gf friggen practically drinks mayo. I think it is a Chilean thing. They worship mayo down there.

MarkusRJR

The true winner is at the top. Awww yeaa.

Although the only Mayo I personally like is Hellmann's Mayo. It's so delicious versus the other brands. I used to hate mayonnaise before I had it, then slowly acquired a tolerance for other brands after the fact.

Loofy

yWCNlVD.jpg

(Though its better to just mix your own)

Also, did you know that mixing mayo with relish makes tartar sauce?

JDeluis

Some of you are just boring when it comes to food. I put ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard on my hamburgers and hot dogs.

I bet most of the people who only put mustard on their hot dogs only eat cheese pizza. Screw you Kevin McCallister

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I guess Ranch doesn't count as a condiment?

I figured that'd beat the crap out of mayo if it did. People use it like a condiment even if it's technically considered a dressing.

Dali

I just realized I currently have all the condiments mentioned in the study (even non condiments like salsa) except for ketchup. Mayo, mustard, soy, Ranch, bbq, hot sauce, salsa.... No catsup. I don't even dislike ketchup. It's just reserved for crap I'd never cook myself. It's the epitome of a junk food condiment. Unless you're big on burgers, hot dogs, French fries and meatloaf there's really no reason to have it.

Edit:eek:h yeah horseradish too. But nope no ketchup.

lednerg

Wrap a hotdog in 1 or 2 strips of bacon and fry it in butter on a pan.
Toast a hotdog bun and then spread mayonnaise on it.
Add mustard or ketchup or nothing.
Your welcome.

Persona7

Banned
Mayo is disgusting.

BBQ sauce is good though as long as it isn't disgustingly sweet. Spicy mustard is also great. Soy sauce is good for dipping chicken.

SyNapSe

How does soy sauce qualify? I imagine 90% of the time it's used for cooking rather than as a condiment.

Yeah, the minute I saw Soy sauce at number 2 I knew something was off. Mayo is cheating as well.. I bet half or more of it's use is in creating other various dips and spreads + anything called salad that isn't leafy and green (potato, chicken, tuna, pasta)

Gannd

Banned
Some of you are just boring when it comes to food. I put ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard on my hamburgers and hot dogs.

I bet most of the people who only put mustard on their hot dogs only eat cheese pizza. Screw you Kevin McCallister

No. Mayo and Ketchup is a crime against a hot dog. You being a plebeian doesn't mean I like cheese pizza.

Ketchup has sugar in it. The reason why kids (and I guess some GAFers) like it on hotdogs is because it smothers the taste of what it is on. Want a kid to eat something? Put ketchup on it. It smothers the taste of the sausage while mustard (and not French's mustard) enhances the flavor. If you like tomatoes that's great! they can go on a hot dog but sliced and on top of the dog.

jts

...hate me...
I find it amusing how mayo is so polarizing. Most sold condiment (apparently), yet considered disgusting by the babbies who can't handle it.

Unlike most condiments, it can be used as a base for lots and lots of other sauces and stuff. Probably the reason why it's #1.

This variant I tried recently is god-tier amazing:

006854.jpg

Caramelised onion and garlic. Delicious.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Ketchup and mayo are bros anyway. Mix em both up on a burger or to dip french fries in. Aww yeeahhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom