• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Kuroyume

Banned
I went from not really paying attention to the release date of the game to playing the demo over and over and over and over... :p It's so fucking fun. I can't wait until the full game is released.

dfyb

Banned
so i've heard the game starts off easy but ramps up to dmc3 level difficulty. is this the standard difficulty or a higher difficulty? the demo was not even the slightest challenge so i'm hoping the demo was set to a below-standard difficulty level.

RyuHayate

Defuser said:
ARGH!!! I still can't Rev properly!!! I will get panicky and button mash.

Be on the lookout for sparks. I think doing the downward slash from high in the air to the ground and then revving immediately after they fly up is the easiest way to do it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Y2Kev said:
Revving on the 360 is really hard for me because the trigger pull is a bit longer.

Yeah, I can't wait to switch that to a bumper, and the lockon to a trigger while I'm at it.

karasu

jt3tau.jpg

Is there a large version of this?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
just watched the ruliweb vid.

MOST HYPED GAME EVER for me.
MUST HAVE. From now on i will no longer check videos.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Played it (360).

I'm mad, played twice and i wasn't able to beat berial. 2nd time i did better with the ice monsters, they didn't touch me, but did 10x worse with berial.

My feelings were hurt. Oh and capcom, get a brain, lock on to bumper and revving on the trigger? You are doing it wrong...its the other way around.

ypo

Sweet. Looks like they got the PS3's cutscenes to run at a smooth 60 fps. So beautiful so smoooooooooth. :D

Looks like they also got rid of the blur effect in the final game.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Tiduz said:
just watched the ruliweb vid.

MOST HYPED GAME EVER for me.
MUST HAVE. From now on i will no longer check videos.

Same here. I think I just beat Berial for like 15 times already since I downloaded this demo. The Dual Shock 3 si so prefect for this game. I just need to learn how to EX when i use the sword for better combos.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
brandonh83 said:
Is that the version you're getting? Don't you have a PS3?

I do, but I like to share my games with my friends who have 360s. I dunno, I will probably end up with both of them. :\

I really do think the dual shock's face buttons are better built for the game, though. I mean, both work fine, but I prefer the flatness.

dralla

a tip on reving during Nero's stinger [whatver it's called]. as soon as Nero comes to a stop and starts to swing, pull the trigger to Rev when you feel the controller rumble. This works both for normal and EX version, it works 9/10 times. sorry sixaxis users :[

Yama

It's great, everything I expected. I'm sure the full game will deliver on all ends. If I had the time I would love to make a combo video for DMC4.

Completed the first mode under the time limit, too bad the second is just a portion of the first without the timer. Made short work of Berial without touching the ground once (two throws aside). Jump canceled all over, it was an awesome, broken looking battle.

Dahbomb

Thanks for the edit Dantewrath, you can edit that stuff out from this page now because I have put it in the OP now.

Someone PM'd me for impressions on the game and I pretty much said "If you think of yourself as some sort of DMC or even an action game fan, then not playing DMC4 will revoke your fan card". It really is that simple... DMC4 is OFFICIALLY the new undeniable king of action and there are no two ways around it.

Obviously your mileage will vary depending on how much you are into this format of gaming, but I can assure you that DMC4 is the best at what it does. Hands down.

Triggering EX at the right time is easy when you want to. Heck i figured out how to time it for the first two hits in the combo and for the final one in the first combo. The hard part is doing all of that in the middle of the fight.

Dahbomb

Hobbyconsolas (http://www.axelspringer.es/html/fondos/PUBLICACIONES/HOBBYCONSOLAS/default.html)

The most "prestigious" Spanish Gaming magazine reviews DMC4.

Graphics:93
Sound:85
Lenght:82
Fun:91

OVERALL: 91/100

THE BEST
+"The combat system is full of posibilityes and everyone can get used to it"
+"The Visuals are great, specially in which refers to the main character's animations"

THE WORST
-"Players can't choose beteewn charcaters freely."
-"Scenary repetition."

Also here is a video for Exceed timings:

http://www.thehandvseye.com/final/view/2343/devil-may-cry-4-basic-ir-timing-2/

Here is a video of general combat:

http://www.thehandvseye.com/final/view/2344/devil-may-cry-4-fight-using-ir/

Courtesy of Gemasis from IGN.

I personally have noticed that the Just framing is a combination of 3 things:

1) Hit impact on the enemy
2) Nero's own sounds (when he finishes it)
3) End of move

I hate to use the word "intuitive" here but it really is INTUITIVE when you actually get in to the feel of things.

Dahbomb

Lostconfused said:
The exceed in the video are probably the easiest ones you can do. Except for the first slash in the aerial raid, now that one is nice.
Well some people in this thread are getting shocked at a gif of a person EXing High Roller. :lol So I am assuming a lot of people who are getting the hang of DMC will appreciate videos like these.

Dahbomb said:
Well some people in this thread are getting shocked at a gif of a person EXing High Roller. :lol So I am assuming a lot of people who are getting the hang of DMC will appreciate videos like these.

Its shocking when you first realize you can do it. I can exceed High Roller, double down and streak now and the first two attacks in a combo if i really try. But i am still sticking to my point, in the middle of the fight when things are getting crazy thats the real test of skill.

Edit: The real trick i think is that the timing for exceed is later then you would expect it to be.

Dahbomb said:
Hobbyconsolas (http://www.axelspringer.es/html/fondos/PUBLICACIONES/HOBBYCONSOLAS/default.html)

The most "prestigious" Spanish Gaming magazine reviews DMC4.

Graphics:93
Sound:85
Lenght:82
Fun:91

OVERALL: 91/100

THE BEST
+"The combat system is full of posibilityes and everyone can get used to it"
+"The Visuals are great, specially in which refers to the main character's animations"

THE WORST
-"Players can't choose beteewn charcaters freely."
-"Scenary repetition."

Also here is a video for Exceed timings:

http://www.thehandvseye.com/final/view/2343/devil-may-cry-4-basic-ir-timing-2/

Here is a video of general combat:

http://www.thehandvseye.com/final/view/2344/devil-may-cry-4-fight-using-ir/

Courtesy of Gemasis from IGN.

I personally have noticed that the Just framing is a combination of 3 things:

1) Hit impact on the enemy
2) Nero's own sounds (when he finishes it)
3) End of move

I hate to use the word "intuitive" here but it really is INTUITIVE when you actually get in to the feel of things.

Excellent, DMC4 has been getting majority reviews in 9 +'s. and European (PAL) reviews have generally been the harshest with the DMC franchise.

ypo

So the 360 version has slightly better AA?
Does the PS3 have a more stable framerate or less screen tearing?

No, looks like they got rid of the weird blur from the retail version base on those Ruliweb videos so AA is pretty much the same. PS3 also have 60 fps cutscenes while X360 version is running at half of that. V-sync is also enabled in the PS3 version so no screen tearings. PS3 version is pretty much hands down better version.

Teknoman

Wow after looking at the screens on Ruliweb, it seems like the beginning tutorial is actually a boss battle...against Dante? Thats starting things off with a bang. Also guess the majority of us will be going through this mode:

ruliweb_dmc4_ps3_04s.jpg

Also I didnt know Nero wears...headphones? After watching that first video, im with some of you guys. No more video spoilers for me.
Seriously, the first video is the intro to the game...and if thats any indication, I cant wait to see the plot twists. At this point, it just seems like Dante has lost his mind

danwarb

ypo said:
No, looks like they got rid of the weird blur from the retail version base on those Ruliweb videos so AA is pretty much the same. PS3 also have 60 fps cutscenes while X360 version is running at half of that. V-sync is also enabled in the PS3 version so no screen tearings. PS3 version is pretty much hands down better version.
Probably not hands down. AA is still inconsistant in those videos. V-sync is enabled on XB360. Cut-scenes are 30 to 60fps on PS3.

TheDuce22

Banned
FTWer said:
So the 360 version has slightly better AA?
Does the PS3 have a more stable framerate or less screen tearing?

If you have them both just look for yourself. The 360 version is much more crisp, thats the only difference I noticed.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
ypo said:

i haven't seen ruliweb's videos yet, but you can still see that motion blur/temporal AA effect in one of their shots:

ruliweb_dmc4_ps3_53.jpg

you can see the blurring and the afterimages it produces in the floor texture and the window grating near the camera.

and in any case, it's not that the ps3 version has this effect in addition to MSAA -- it has this effect instead of MSAA. if they've removed it from the final version, then it'll have no AA at all.

diddlyD

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
If you have them both just look for yourself. The 360 version is much more crisp, thats the only difference I noticed.

i think all this comparison stuff is in peoples heads or something, because on my setup the ps3 one looks noticeably crisper/sharper with less frame spikes.

sinnergy

drohne said:
i haven't seen ruliweb's videos yet, but you can still see that motion blur/temporal AA effect in one of their shots:

ruliweb_dmc4_ps3_53.jpg

you can see the blurring and the afterimages it produces in the floor texture and the window grating near the camera.

and in any case, it's not that the ps3 version has this effect in addition to MSAA -- it has this effect instead of MSAA. if they've removed it from the final version, then it'll have no AA at all.
Correct, it's a very old trick btw. But if it works it works.. who cares how they do it as long as it looks like AAed. I saw many other shots on Rulliweb which also have it.

diddlyD said:
i think all this comparison stuff is in peoples heads or something, because on my setup the ps3 one looks noticeably crisper/sharper with less frame spikes.

The X360 version is also shaper on my set, both connected with HDMI. It's not in my head ;)
And from my play with both versions, the cutscenes in the PS3 version had some minor stutter while the X360 hadn't (both should have been 30 fps v-sync capped in cutscenes imo.). And to be honest, I encountered a small frametear in the X360 version which I didn't encounter in the PS3 version.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'll try to summarize the differences between the two versions:

the 360 version has 2xMSAA -- the ps3 version instead blends each frame with preceding ones, creating something very similar to 2xMSAA in static shots, but creating blur and afterimages when in motion

a difference in texture filtering causes the 360 version to look somewhat sharper, but also produces more texture aliasing (shimmering) -- there doesn't seem to be any difference in texture resolution

cutscenes in the 360 version are locked at 30fps -- in the ps3 version they move between 30 and 60fps

360 version is missing a shader on the frosts, and the shader on berial's sword looks strangely blocky -- i wonder if there are other shader differences in the full game

i don't think either version has a distinct framerate advantage -- there are a couple camera pans and cutscenes in which the ps3 version seems to stutter, but i've seen a few instances of screen tearing in the 360 version

there are the usual slight differences in contrast and shadow map filtering

-----

as far as the technical pissing match goes, the MSAA settles it in favor of the 360 version. but i think the perceptual difference between the two versions is pretty small.

sinnergy

drohne said:

the 360 version has 2xMSAA -- the ps3 version instead blends each frame with the preceding one, creating something very similar to 2xMSAA in static shots, but creating blur and afterimages when in motion

a difference in texture filtering causes the 360 version to look somewhat sharper, but also produces more texture aliasing (shimmering) -- there doesn't seem to be any difference in texture resolution

cutscenes in the 360 version are locked at 30fps -- in the ps3 version they move between 30 and 60fps

360 version is missing a shader on the frosts, and the shader on berial's sword looks strangely blocky -- i wonder if there are other shader differences in the full game

i don't think either version has a distinct framerate advantage -- there are a couple camera pans and cutscenes in which the ps3 version seems to stutter, but i've seen a few instances of screen tearing in the 360 version

-----

as far as the technical pissing match goes, the MSAA settles it in favor of the 360 version. but i think the actual perceptual difference between the two versions is pretty small.

Yup either version is good.

But personally I like the technical best version, so ill go with the X360 version.
It's also the same reason why I got Burnout Paradise for PS3, that's also technically the best version, no matter how close they are.

drohne said:

the 360 version has 2xMSAA -- the ps3 version instead blends each frame with preceding ones, creating something very similar to 2xMSAA in static shots, but creating blur and afterimages when in motion

-----

as far as the technical pissing match goes, the MSAA settles it in favor of the 360 version. but i think the perceptual difference between the two versions is pretty small.

It's a trade off between slightly better AA on 360 or better shaders on PS3, personally I would take the shaders (And the 60FPS cutscenes! DMC cutscenes just look wrong at 30FPS!)

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
drohne said:

You are mistaken. The effect would produce the same visual once in video as the eyes naturally blend frames (or full images) together that are less than 1/12 of a second apart. So you get a similar effect when you are actually looking at a game screen, even on the 360.

This happens even for static scenery during gametime, as the screen constantly refreshes itself on the TV. That is why we cannot see scanlines, cuz the eye blends images together. The so called 'better' AA only comes about when you have STATIC images of moving objects, i.e. like in a screenshot. Therefore a screenshot comparison naturally disadvantages the PS3 version, as on the screen, what the eyes observe would be quite similar (in theory). This method would also provide better anti aliasing than 2xMSAA in still scenery, and the visual effect in real life would be almost entirely similar to 2xMSAA for images of motion (once again, in theory), which I guess would be one of the motivations behind employing this method.

I cannot verify the validity of this, as I do not own either systems.

I do believe however that video comparisons are more accurate considering the differing methods of anti aliasing employed.

I keep trying to like this demo and keep getting nothing. The combat on it's own is pretty fun, but the boss fight is boring and the lame trekking between encounters makes me want to die inside. Oh well, at least I don't have to go scrounging for money to pick up Culdcept and this.

Dahbomb said:
Sweet combos inside.

Nero's Taunts <-- Worth a watch for the comedic value alone :lol

Also some really new and bad ass combos with Dante. NOT IN THE DEMO!!!
HOLY SHI-! the Dante video is soooooo bad ass.
Son of Godzilla said:
I keep trying to like this demo and keep getting nothing. The combat on it's own is pretty fun, but the boss fight is boring and the lame trekking between encounters makes me want to die inside. Oh well, at least I don't have to go scrounging for money to pick up Culdcept and this.
I dont know what to say man, but well you lost a few points there.

Norml

Looks pretty good,wish the destructible stuff wouldnt vanish.

Glad PS3 gets the HDD pre-install because wow the demo had lots of doors:lol

Danielsan

Norml said:
Looks pretty good,wish the destructible stuff wouldnt vanish.

Glad PS3 gets the HDD pre-install because wow the demo had lots of doors:lol
The demo had lots of doors but it never went to the the loading screen for me. The only part where I saw the words loading was when I started the demo and that was only 1-2 seconds.

edit: I'm such a dumbass :lol the demo isn't on a disc...

knitoe

I am having a really hard time deciding which version to get. Want the rumble + Achievements from X360, but rather have no load times from PS3. If only I had a DS3, would make decision much easier. When is it coming to NA?

B-Ri

knitoe said:
I am having a really hard time deciding which version to get. Want the rumble + Achievements from X360, but rather have no load times from PS3. If only I had a DS3, would make decision much easier. When is it coming to NA?

the ps3 has rumble and achievements :x

Top Bottom