• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

BiggNife said:
Oh come on this is such obvious trolling

Some people will believe anything
So what if it's fake or not? Capcom deserves all the negative press.

THE MAN IS TELLING THE TRUTH!

SonicMegaDrive said:
35c2buu.jpg

Riposte

Moving away from MML in particular, I wonder if Capcom gets more shit because the way they approach fans and how openly they interact with them. The whole Capcom-unity business they have going, day long livestreams where they answer questions directly, how dudes like Seth Killian go out and commentate tournament matches, etc. Maybe the "Dev Room" was the most extreme execution of this idea. It is funny because Capcom US only makes a few discussions, green-lighting MML not being one of them, yet it is totally okay in the minds of many Capcom fans to spam the shit out of their streams and spam angry twitter messages(also accuse Seth Killian of ruining a few fans' day).

I like the strategy Capcom US has with handling the community, but it also makes them vulnerable when the collective monster called a fanbase decides to throw a tantrum over a boo-boo. Personally I can't wait until the day I can talk about UMvC3(or Dragon's Dogma, etc) and not deal with this.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
I'm really curious to see what Capcom thinks about all of this internally (from a non-PR voice stand point)

Also, any J-gaffers been keeping up with the 2ch or J feedback on MML3 in general? I'm assuming their sentiments mirror the US side of things as well?

As you can see from my avatar, I love Megaman, especially X :3

wwm0nkey

Someone is now trying to start up rumors of Seth Killian getting punched in the face. It seems like someone is trying to start a war at Comic-Con

Akselziys said:
I'm really curious to see what Capcom thinks about all of this internally (from a non-PR voice stand point)

Also, any J-gaffers been keeping up with the 2ch or J feedback on MML3 in general? I'm assuming their sentiments mirror the US side of things as well?

As you can see from my avatar, I love Megaman, especially X :3

Representing classic Mega Man here!

Riposte said:
Moving away from MML in particular, I wonder if Capcom gets more shit because the way they approach fans and how openly they interact with them. The whole Capcom-unity business they have going, day long livestreams where they answer questions directly, how dudes like Seth Killian go out and commentate tournament matches, etc. Maybe the "Dev Room" was the most extreme execution of this idea. It is funny because Capcom US only makes a few discussions, green-lighting MML not being one of them, yet it is totally okay in the minds of many Capcom fans to spam the shit out of their streams and spam angry twitter messages(also accuse Seth Killian of ruining a few fans' day).

I like the strategy Capcom US has with handling the community, but it also makes them vulnerable when the collective monster called a fanbase decides to throw a tantrum over a boo-boo. Personally I can't wait until the day I can talk about UMvC3(or Dragon's Dogma, etc) and not deal with this.
Capcom said the main reason of canceling the game are "the fans" and that's why "the fans" are reacting as such.

VinLAURiA

Banned
Riposte said:
Anything short of instant dismissal and laughter is not very sane. By saying "if true" you still make a ridiculous assumption and you get to continue this overstated outrage which should have expired already.
Is anyone else getting sick of the constant, almost bull-headed skepticism some gamers have? I mean, I take stuff with a grain of salt as much as the next guy, but there's a difference between thinking horse instead of zebra and then just plain thinking zebras are extinct. I like to assume good faith towards the verity of gaming news. People wouldn't make this kind of stuff up unless it was April Fool's Day or something, especially not in a situation already as hot as this.

Holy shit, what a disaster from a PR point.

That Capcom guy from twitter should have been fired by now, I don't know much about "community manager" stuff, but that guy is doing an awful job.

daffy

Banned
Riposte said:

Capcom's a big boy now. They can handle negative feedback (you would think). I'm pretty sure the UMvC3 thread is a nice place to avoid this stuff. If its in there its probably easily ignored with the way you guys throw caution to the wind.

Lesiroth

FTH said:
Capcom's a big boy now. They can handle negative feedback (you would think). I'm pretty sure the UMvC3 thread is a nice place to avoid this stuff. If its in there its probably easily ignored with the way you guys throw caution to the wind.
I just wonder why he'd come into a thread about Megaman Legends getting canceled, and start a post by this:
Riposte said:
Moving away from MML in particular

Riposte said:
Oh, I didn't realize it was that simple!!
Oh it is, because they based the cancellation on what essentially equates to a member tally on the internet with practically zero advertizing (by which logic 90% of all games should be canned).

Riposte

FTH said:

I'm more interested in how fans use stuff like this against companies. Like for example, if that suggestion box didn't exist, that would be one less outlet. Eventually it comes down to people complaining about stuff on forums which devs never read. I also wonder if people find it empowering and become more likely to partake in general trolling in response to stuff they don't like.

EDIT: Basically, at the very least it is a double bladed sword.

EDIT: Btw I guess I wasn't completely bullshiting, because right now people trying to chase down the "truth" about whether Seth Killian is kicking people out because of the way they are dressed. (I know not everyone is going crazy about it, but that doesn't stop this thread from feeding on it.)

wwm0nkey

Oh shit guys just called my sister again and she did say Capcom was threatening to call security on a few people while she was at the booth, she still couldn't confirm the Tron Bonne cosplay thing though.

Boney

Banned
SwiftSketcher said:
Oh it is, because they based the cancellation on what essentially equates to a member tally on the internet with practically zero advertizing (by which logic 90% of all games should be canned).
I wasn't part of the Devroom and it was my most anticipated game, 'cause that's not where I wanna be.

fuck them :(

Takao

Banned
Riposte, do you like Megaman? All of the posts I remember from you in this thread have been about Megaman's fans rather than about the games themselves. The fans are understandably agitated, they've just lost a sequel to a game that ended on a cliff hanger 10 years ago. They were so close, but had their hope snatched away. I'm not the biggest Megaman fan out there, but I certainly can feel for them, and see how incredibly poorly Capcom has handled this situation. MML3 was supposed to be a showcase for open development, yet the game was canceled behind closed doors without a word as to why. When the Megaman fans retaliate, Capcom Europe then loses its shit and starts blaming the fans themselves. It's a never ending cycle of shit whose trail started at Capcom.

Riposte said:

The more close is your relationship with your fans is, the more competent PR department you should have, and Capcom have been doing it awfully bad later, so the consequences are bigger and more extreme because of that.

Is not fans fault here: they were asking for a proper answer, and they got trolled...and instead of a rectification, they got more trolling.

And the comic-con stuff? holy shit, that's not how you fix a PR mess like this.

Capcom US/EU is the face of Capcom as a whole in those territories, of course they have to deal with things like that, the should answer:"E-mail Capcom JP, not our problem. lol" or something or it's their damn job?.

ultron87

I'm now just picturing someone in the Capcom booth saying "I like Tron..." and then getting dragged away by security screaming "In MVC3! IN MVC3!"

Takao

Banned
ultron87 said:
I'm now just picturing someone in the Capcom booth saying "I like Tron..." and then getting dragged away by security screaming "In MVC3! IN MVC3!"

WHAT IF THEY MEANT THE DISNEY MOVIE?!

wwm0nkey

I dont think anyone has actually been kicked out. My sister just said they where threatening with security....though I guess it is possible it happened earlier in the day.

Riposte

Takao said:
Riposte, do you like Megaman? All of the posts I remember from you in this thread have been about Megaman's fans rather than about the games themselves. The fans are understandably agitated, they've just lost a sequel to a game that ended on a cliff hanger 10 years ago. They were so close, but had their hope snatched away. I'm not the biggest Megaman fan out there, but I certainly can feel for them, and see how incredibly poorly Capcom has handled this situation. MML3 was supposed to be a showcase for open development, yet the game was canceled behind closed doors without a word as to why. When the Megaman fans retaliate, Capcom Europe then loses its shit and starts blaming the fans themselves. It's a never ending cycle of shit whose trail started at Capcom.

I argue a sizable amount of fans are more than just agitated, though I guess a beehive can only be "agitated". I think DMC fans reactions to DmC was a bit ridiculous, but this makes it look like a shrug.

Canceling/not green-lighting this game before ComicCon was really dumb. I mean it wasn't even being officially made, so it is not like the blow could be any harder if they waited two weeks.

EDIT: I ignored your question. I like Megaman, the many incarnations of Megaman, to varying degrees. I am much more interested in the fans because their reaction is much more interesting and absurd than an unofficial game getting canceled.

gwiz210

John Harker said:
can you add Ryu from Breath of Fire?

Try being a fan of THAT series... we don't even get assists in fighting games :(
I didn't draw it. I requested it on /v/ last night and some awesome person made it.

Top Bottom