• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament 9 | Fighting Game Tournament | May 24-26

Dahbomb

Must be, at least compared to those arguing otherwise and making up false justifications. The creator gets to choose however he wants his acronym to sound, as there are no imaginary rules on acronym pronunciation. Technically, it's G-I-F because its an acronym, or jif for short.

You will all learn in time. UEONO.
Again I don't really care how its pronounced but the justification for jif is flimsy at best.

Do you pronounce GABA as JABA?? Do you pronounce GAD as JAD? These are commonly used acrnoyms in medicine and no one pronounces these with a J.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So? The acronym is still g-i-f. Not j-i-f.
Okay. So it starts with a Gi- sound right?

Like giraffe, gibberish, gin, giant, ginseng, ginger, etc. It's definitely an appropriate pronounciation in a language that has a ton of exceptions to quote on quote rules and whatnot. Versus stuff like gills, etc.

Chindogg

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed our commentary for Injustice this morning. I'm sorry if it wasn't too the pedigree that you may be used to but I'm constantly practicing to try and further bridge the gap between the Capcom and MK communities. If you have any advice for me feel free to quote me here or hit me up on Twitter.

Thanks for watching and I hope you liked it!

Axis

lol flash forfeited because he didn't wanna face another member of his own team? isn't that what he was complaining about earlier?

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed our commentary for Injustice this morning. I'm sorry if it wasn't too the pedigree that you may be used to but I'm constantly practicing to try and further bridge the gap between the Capcom and MK communities. If you have any advice for me feel free to quote me here or hit me up on Twitter.

Thanks for watching and I hope you liked it!

Commentary was great.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gift.

Find another word that starts with Gif that has a soft g.
This is a fallacious argument because there is no set rule on gif- as there is only one other word in that format, and they is gift. Hardly an argument for a "rule." Not only that but in the English language you'll find many other words that have one letter tacked on the end that suddenly changed the entire pronounciation of the rest of the word like fib and fibe.

xCobalt

Stop talking about pronunciation, nerds.

Now, give mike our power.

tumblr_lx5pc20fHK1qevixfo1_500.jpg

Dahbomb

Like giraffe, gibberish, gin, giant, ginseng, ginger, etc. It's definitely an appropriate pronounciation in a language that has a ton of exceptions to quote on quote rules and whatnot. Versus stuff like gills, etc.
So like girls, give, gift etc?

Again, flimsy argument at best. There are numerous exceptions and its not a rule.

This is a fallacious argument because there is no set rule on gif- as there is only one other word in that format, and they is gift. Hardly an argument for a "rule." Not only that but in the English language you'll find many other words that have one letter tacked on the end that suddenly changed the entire pronounciation of the word like fib and fibe.

Yes, but they're vowels... Gift ends with a consonant. T doesn't change the pronunciation of the preceding syllable.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So like girls, give, gift etc?

Again, flimsy argument at best.
Not flimsy if you read the bottom half of my post where I talk about rules in the English language.

Your pretty good at essays, you should know how many valid exceptions the language has.

El Sloth

Banned

Like giraffe, gibberish, giant, ginseng, ginger, etc. It's definitely an appropriate pronounciation in a language that has a ton of exceptions to quote on quote rules and whatnot.
That doesn't really prove anything, but I don't really care. My only problem was you looking down on people for pronouncing it another way. Language is fluid and the so-called "correct" pronounciations and spellings in the end are the ones that people end up adopting in favor of others. The ones that persist and outlast the others.

How the hell did we start talking about this

Top Bottom