• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 40GB Euro Doggystyle Edition™ OFFICIAL!

Spinning Plates said:
It should be £279 if it's 400 euros.

Spoke to a friend who works in my local Game store, he said the 40Gb PS3 will be £299 (nothing extra), and the 60Gb will drop to £349.

He did say though that most stores will try to push customers for a bundle.

That Bravia ad... have they given a good reason as to why that ad was done with stop motion as opposed to using CGI? We were always trained to value cost and time efficiency over everything, but I guess when you're a big firm you get to do whatever.

Firewire

Banned
gofreak said:
Not really related, but if we're talking about Sony marketing efforts running up to Xmas..there's a new 'umbrella' ad by Sony for HD in general, featuring a selection of their HD products at the end, including PS3 (which is something some people were saying Sony should do):

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hype-sheet/hype-sheet-sonys-dead-serious-side-307096.php

And also, just because it's facking cool (and completely outclasses the above ad), here's the new Bravia advert, featuring play-doh, bunnies, and New York:

http://bravia.sony.eu/bravia.html

Better than Balls?
Yes, IMO

The Bravia thing was cool.

The little loading facts are hilarious!
"Before the 17th century carrots were purple!"
WTF!

Firewire said:

Eastern carrots were domesticated in Central Asia, probably in modern-day Afghanistan in the 10th century or possibly earlier. Those of the eastern carrot that survive to the present day are commonly purple or yellow in colour, and often have branched roots. The purple colour common in these carrots comes from anthocyanin pigments.

tehbear

Firewire said:
The Bravia thing was cool.

The little loading facts are hilarious!
WTF!

Yeah those facts were awesome. The ads were good too, much more appeasing than creepy and weird PS3 commercials. The message is clearly, and the presentation is good. PS3 marketing dept. can learn a thing or fifty.

Rayne.S

Banned
Just got off the Phone in EU-land.

* 40Gb
* No media ports
* 2 USB's
* NO backwardscompatibility
* Chrome disctray
* No embossed Playstation 3 letters on top of the PS3, for lack of a better word, sprayed on.
* 60Gb model discontinued, starterpacks while stock lasts !

12th of october = streetdate, first models arrive in-store on the 10th.

EDIT : Forgot the prices ...

40Gb @ 399.99
60Gb Starter @ 499.99

Rayne.S

Banned
Das-J said:
Well wait, so you are just referring to a lack of Hardware BC then... not a complete lack of BC?!

Complete lack of BC because no HW. Software should ( though no confirmation ) be an option in the future. No backwardscompatibility in the 40Gig version.

Lo-Volt

* No embossed Playstation 3 letters on top of the PS3, for lack of a better word, sprayed on.

Sounds a bit grimy, but whatever. If it works fine, that's fine, but what cost savings are you really going to get out of that? Have the old fashioned logos been peeling off or something, or is this really trying to squeeze a few pennies?

Raist

Banned
Rayne.S said:
Complete lack of BC because no HW. Software should ( though no confirmation ) be an option in the future. No backwardscompatibility in the 40Gig version.

If it's true, it's a lack of PS2 BC. Not a complete lack. PS1 BC is fully software.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PSone BC should be there, it already being software only.

This is PS2 we're talking about. And we've been debating it for pages and pages now - it's 99.999999999*% certain that there'll be no PS2 hardware BC (and not just in the way the 60GB had no EE).

Synless

Rayne.S said:
I thought that all the newer ps3's had no BC HW anyways, I thought it was all emulated so how wouldn't the 40 have it if it has a harddrive?

jonabbey

Rayne.S said:
Just got off the Phone in EU-land.

* 40Gb
* No media ports
* 2 USB's
* NO backwardscompatibility
* Chrome disctray

Disctray as in no longer a slot-loading drive?

* 60Gb model discontinued, starterpacks while stock lasts !

12th of october = streetdate, first models arrive in-store on the 10th.

EDIT : Forgot the prices ...

40Gb @ 399.99
60Gb Starter @ 499.99

Lightning

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Spoke to a friend who works in my local Game store, he said the 40Gb PS3 will be £299 (nothing extra), and the 60Gb will drop to £349.

He did say though that most stores will try to push customers for a bundle.
The 'nothing extra' sucks. If they add PES08 to that they will sell a shitload of consoles...

For sure it will have full PS1 support even with software only. There may not be any PS2 BC with just software but Sony is probably working on that and it may be included in 2.0. In a perfect world anyway.

jonabbey said:
Disctray as in no longer a slot-loading drive?
They wouldn't do that, it would probably cost them more to design a new tray for the BD drive. It would change the look of the system too much.

spwolf

Synless said:
I thought that all the newer ps3's had no BC HW anyways, I thought it was all emulated so how wouldn't the 40 have it if it has a harddrive?

jesus... you are 1000000th to think so and you are wrong. Can you at least read few pages back before posting that comment?

Rayne.S

Banned
I own two shops, Sony is coming out-of-the-closet tomorrow. Trust me, this is total confirmation, no slip-up, confirmation !

@jonabbey, no still slotloading. I meant the chrome plate on the 60Gig version as opposed to the black plate on the 20Gig version. The 40Gig will still be chrome.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Synless said:

The newer PS3s still have a PS2 GS. The new PS3 40GBs do not. That's the difference.

for the umpteenth time :p

jonabbey

Synless said:

Again (times 20?), the European and American 80 gig PS3s *do* have hardware for PS2 compatibility, in the form of a Graphics Synthesizer (GS) chip on board. All the European/US 80 gig units do in software is the Emotion Engine emulation, which they do on Cell.

Without the GS chip, there's no backwards compatiblity for PS2 (though there continues to be for PS1, which really is done entirely in software).

Kosma

Banned
Rayne.S said:
I own two shops, Sony is coming out-of-the-closet tomorrow. Trust me, this is total confirmation, no slip-up, confirmation !

So will shops be selling the 60gb packs at 499 as of tommorow?

Elios83

gofreak said:

This is PS2 we're talking about. And we've been debating it for pages and pages now - it's 99.999999999*% certain that there'll be no PS2 hardware BC (and not just in the way the 60GB had no EE).

That's not sure, I have the impression that the PSX emulator uses the GS chip to emulate the original PSX graphics chip and not the RSX, in that case even BC with the original PS will be missing.

Rayne.S

Banned
jonabbey said:
Again (times 20?), the European and American 80 gig PS3s *do* have hardware for PS2 compatibility, in the form of a Graphics Synthesizer (GS) chip on board. All the European/US 80 gig units do in software is the Emotion Engine emulation, which they do on Cell.

Without the GS chip, there's no backwards compatiblity for PS2 (though there continues to be for PS1, which really is done entirely in software).

I really forgot to ask about PSone BC, but no PS2 BC thats for sure, at least on launch !

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Seriously, are people even reading the page they are posting on?

All PS3s currently in shops, in the US, Japan, Europe and even the freaking moon have at least the PS2 Graphics chip on the board.

:lol

Mr YuYu

gofreak said:

that blows :-/

I just bought 5 great ps2 titles but i haven't got a ps2. I was saving up to buy a ps3 this christmas but if it has no BC i might aswell buy a ps2 instead.

this sucks... lets hope the 60gig stock lasts till christmas then...

angelfly

Rayne.S said:

@jonabbey, no still slotloading. I meant the chrome plate on the 60Gig version as opposed to the black plate on the 20Gig version. The 40Gig will still be chrome.

Thats good to know. Hopefully something from SCEA as well.

Mau ®

OH SHIT Im buying a 60GB before they run out! That 40GB turns me off completely! No BC is a big deal! Id pay 100 more to get BC, really.

jjasper

Elios83 said:
That's not sure, I have the impression that the PSX emulator uses the GS chip to emulate the original PSX graphics chip and not the RSX, in that case even BC with the original PS will be missing.

I don't think that is the case. They have surely found away around that if the PSP can emulate the PS1.

Kosma

Banned
But Rayne will the price drop be in effect tomorrow, in other words, when I come home from work tomorrow will I be playing Resistance or will I be here in this god forsaken thread again?

PS: Im 100% positive that Sony will "somehow" find a way for BC on the 40GB just as stock of the 60GB runs out. They just want the 60GB to sell out first I think.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Mr YuYu said:
that blows :-/

I just bought 5 great ps2 titles but i haven't got a ps2. I was saving up to buy a ps3 this christmas but if it has no BC i might aswell buy a ps2 instead.

this sucks... lets hope the 60gig stock lasts till christmas then...

Hell, keep saving, buy a kick ass gaming PC, and use PCSX2. You bought the games, so playing legit games on an emulator is kosher, and at least you'll still be buying a "next gen" system instead of spending money on yesterday's news.

Lightning said:
The 'nothing extra' sucks. If they add PES08 to that they will sell a shitload of consoles...

Yeah I guess they are going to try and make the 60Gb model the 'perceived value' option, with two games and a film perhaps?

So there will be no SKU at all with even partial hardware b/c like the 80GB, no SKU with hardware b/c, and b/c is off the table until they can get it working in 100% software and no guarantees as to if that will happen and what the eventual degree of b/c will be?

OK, color me surprised now.

And if they are doing this in Europe, they'll eventually do it everywhere.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
jjasper said:
I don't think that is the case. They have surely found away around that if the PSP can emulate the PS1.

If PS3 can't handle emulating a system from 1994 Sony might as well just give up now ;)

Elios83

jjasper said:

I hope so, but what I meant is that even BC with the PSX can't be taken for granted even it's alreadly 100% software. It depends on how the current emulator works. If the PSX GPU is emulated through the GS (and that's the case on the Pstwo), there will be no BC at all at launch until Sony develops a full software emulation using PS3 chips for both.

spwolf

Opus Angelorum said:
Yeah I guess they are going to try and make the 60Gb model the 'perceived value' option, with two games and a film perhaps?

:)

no, it is 2 games + 2 controlers, 150-160 Euro in value... nothing perceived about it.
I doubt they will add movie to it...

Rayne.S

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
But Rayne will the price drop be in effect tomorrow, in other words, when I come home from work tomorrow will I be playing Resistance or will I be here in this god forsaken thread again?

Nope, 12th would be the date for the pricedrop on the 60gig version. Same day as the streetdate for the 40gig version.

I don;t know if i was clear. The 60Gig version, including the starterpack are discontinued. The 40Gig version is the only sku for this christmas. The Starterpack will be availible only while stock lasts !

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
beermonkey@tehbias said:
So there will be no SKU at all with even partial hardware b/c like the 80GB, no SKU with hardware b/c, and b/c is off the table until they can get it working in 100% software and no guarantees as to if that will happen and what the eventual degree of b/c will be?

And if Sony doesn't care about BC anymore, how much more will MS be willing to invest to fix it on the 360?

beermonkey@tehbias said:

Good. That will make me feel better about being an early adopter despite these price drops. Not that BC is that important to me, but it's something damn it.

Fatghost said:
And if Sony doesn't care about BC anymore, how much more will MS be willing to invest to fix it on the 360?

Well, I think that the MS investment on that is just about done regardless of Sony's next move.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Good. That will make me feel better about being an early adopter despite these price drops. Not that BC is that important to me, but it's something damn it.

Yeah, even though I don't use the b/c, I'll be hanging onto my rev 1.0 system.

Lightning

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
I hope not, England have already made it clear they don't want to pay over 300 pounds for a console, no matter what the 'value' is. :lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sony 'plans to cut price of PlayStation 3 by Christmas'
PARIS (AFP) - The Japanese group Sony is to cut the price in Europe of its new generation video game console PlayStation 3 (PS3) by 100 to 200 euros (141-282 dollars) in order to boost sales ahead of Christmas, a report said here Thursday.

A new model, equipped with a 40 gigaoctet hard drive, will go on sale in Europe at 399 euros, 200 euros less than the current sales price of Sony's more powerful, 60-gigaoctet device, which is already in stores, according to the newspaper Les Echos.

A Sony spokesman would not confirm the figures cited by Les Echos but said an announcement was "imminent."

After reducing the sales price of the PS3 by 100 dollars in the United States, Sony has made it clear it wants to take similar measures in Europe, where it is confonting competition from Nintendo's Wii, sold for 249 euros, and Microsoft's XBOX 360, which sells for 349 and 279 euros depending on the model.

wft?1?? Sony upping the ante in storage??:lol

linky

Top Bottom