• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

Whoa what the heck?! I thought DK was a melee DPS

No class is one type of anything, every class has a pretty wide range of things that they can do. There's quite a lot of fun theory crafting going on with classes already, and it makes me pretty hopeful for the future.

KePoW

Banned
No class is one type of anything, every class has a pretty wide range of things that they can do. There's quite a lot of fun theory crafting going on with classes already, and it makes me pretty hopeful for the future.

My main is a DK with light/heavy armor currently, DK spikes morphed are amazing to boost your armor to max temporarily.

Focussing on DPS Fire build with a hint of Duel-Wield awesomeness.

Whoa that's crazy, I guess I still think this is like other MMO's in regards to classes. I haven't played any of the SP Elder Scrolls games so I don't really know how it works.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
If they toss in another 2 classes (there are conveniently 2 spaces begging on the char creation screen...) with expansions, well; the possible combos will be nigh-on-endless.

Alur

For DragonKnight, is it best to use Heavy or Medium armor??

100% depends on how you are building your character, I have a lot of friends wearing all light with destruction fire staff as a DK, pure AOE/Mage as a DK.

I'm level 25 now on my DK. I've been full light armor, running an AOE "flame" spec with dual wield while slowly leveling heavy armor and 1h/shield on the side. It's pretty damn powerful for leveling. It's all in what you wanna do, though.

You'll need to level up your heavy armor if you wanna tank. Light armor gives you that good magicka regen. I've not really noticed a purpose for using medium for a DK, but someone more experienced might know better.

KePoW

Banned
I say no. The horse is really not that much faster than running.

And Imperials are just a normal human looking race.

Alur

How about for a melee pure DPS build, for stamina regen maybe?

Or would Heavy or Light still be better for that?

All your class abilities are magicka based, so you'd be using that for only weapon abilities and I just don't see that you'd be needing that much of it (at least I haven't so far, and that's including me regularly using a morphed whirlwind). I suppose you could, theoretically, but you could mix and match (say 5 of light 2 medium) or just hold out for light armor with stamina if necessary.

Ghost23

I am upset I am not playing during the initial release hype, but I am waiting out for the PS4 version. What I'm worried for is how the PS4 version will run. I could max the game on PC, but there is something about playing on the couch with a TV that seems appealing.

Rizzi

I discovered public dungeons earlier today.
They really don't seem worth the effort. So many bots just camping the spawn, and they don't seem to drop anything good.

iso135

Had a quest that seemed bugged last night. The quest boss wouldn't spawn... bummer. Oh well, on to other quests until it is fixed!

I asked this about 5 pages ago with no real response...but I will try again.

Can anyone at a high level clarify how gold drops scale with level? I mean is player level vs gold find more linear or is it more exponentialish?

If I am going to get wayyy more gold down the road at higher levels then I should just get bank and inventory upgrades for now.

Has anyone put a lot of time into PVP? Are classes and builds fairly balanced or is there stuff that just stomps everything else? I'm having a hard time deciding what to play because I enjoy it all, but I do like my nightblade a lot. I keep hearing how bad their DPS is though. Is that mainly for PVE? How are they in PVP?

KePoW

Banned
All your class abilities are magicka based, so you'd be using that for only weapon abilities and I just don't see that you'd be needing that much of it (at least I haven't so far, and that's including me regularly using a morphed whirlwind). I suppose you could, theoretically, but you could mix and match (say 5 of light 2 medium) or just hold out for light armor with stamina if necessary.

Thank you for the tips!

Had a quest that seemed bugged last night. The quest boss wouldn't spawn... bummer. Oh well, on to other quests until it is fixed!

I asked this about 5 pages ago with no real response...but I will try again.

Can anyone at a high level clarify how gold drops scale with level? I mean is player level vs gold find more linear or is it more exponentialish?

If I am going to get wayyy more gold down the road at higher levels then I should just get bank and inventory upgrades for now.

The gold drops per mob scale very slowly based on level, however, the amount you get from quests scale pretty well. You shouldn't have a problem making money back at later levels after buying some inventory upgrades.

Just be careful on bank upgrades, they have a nasty habit of disappearing and taking everything that was put in those slots with them.

Has anyone put a lot of time into PVP? Are classes and builds fairly balanced or is there stuff that just stomps everything else? I'm having a hard time deciding what to play because I enjoy it all, but I do like my nightblade a lot. I keep hearing how bad their DPS is though. Is that mainly for PVE? How are they in PVP?

The PvP currently focuses on fairly large fights, so ranged abilities tend to work better so you aren't instantly zerged down being in the front line. Saying an entire classes DPS is bad is just weird when they have access to so many skills, abilities, armor, and weapon types.

iso135

The gold drops per mob scale very slowly based on level, however, the amount you get from quests scale pretty well. You shouldn't have a problem making money back at later levels after buying some inventory upgrades.

Just be careful on bank upgrades, they have a nasty habit of disappearing and taking everything that was put in those slots with them.

Thanks, exactly the answer I was looking for. Looks like I'll invest in some inventory upgrades.

Think I'll try theory crafting a Death Knight type build for a Nightblade, they seem to fit the bill pretty well for that. Get some heavy armor, two hander / dual wield, and lots of siphons with some fears, should be interesting.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
they spent quite a bit on voice actors didnt they

Michael Gambon ((dumbledore)= the prophet
Kate Beckinsale =Queen Ayrenn
Malcolm McDowell =Molag Bal
John Cleese =Sir Cadwell

probs missed a few others aswell

uzit88

Going to be buying this on Monday, really excited! Played WoW for 7 years and kinda on a break till WoD, but looking to juggle two MMO's if I can (Crazy I know) any websites I can read up about specs/gameplay etc?

Thank ya!

Going to be buying this on Monday, really excited! Played WoW for 7 years and kinda on a break till WoD, but looking to juggle two MMO's if I can (Crazy I know) any websites I can read up about specs/gameplay etc?

Thank ya!

http://dulfy.net/category/eso/
http://www.esoui.com/addons.php
http://tamrielfoundry.com/
http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline
http://eso-fashion.com/
http://esohead.com/

These are all my go to sites when I need to find something out.

Yopis

they spent quite a bit on voice actors didnt they

Michael Gambon ((dumbledore)= the prophet
Kate Beckinsale =Queen Ayrenn
Malcolm McDowell =Molag Bal
John Cleese =Sir Cadwell

probs missed a few others aswell

Malcolm McDowell was great in Wing Commander 3 and 4.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
dungeon finder seems a bit wonky, I noticed that at 33 I couldnt actually queue for the 33-36 dungeons anymore, I could only queue for the 35-38 ones

someone should post a list of each level range dungeons, now im completely lost on which ones I missed

Lucifon

Thank you sir!

Has Gaf got a EU guild going?

We do! Drop your @ id in this thread and someone will get you an invite :)

Also not sure if anyone knows about this but there's a nifty little mod which adds more filtering options to the guild store - http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info193-BatmanStoreFilter.html

Now all we need is a UI mod that completely overhauls the search/filtering of that store, it's so poor right now. Also wish there was just 1 huge Trading guild on the server, I know it's not realistic but having all these guilds with a few hundred in each seems like a missed potential of making up for the lack of AH.

Fortune

Neo Member
I want it but since I already pay for xbox live I wish they had some kind of discount on the monthly fee for console gamers.

Hawk269

can't wait until this comes out for Xbox One! But is the Imperial edition worth getting?

If you can find it that is. I have tried for the last 2 weeks (I am in the U.S.) and every retailer & Amazon is sold out. This does lead to the next question...one of the benefits of the Imperial Edition outside of the physical stuff is the in-game items. As of today, there has been no announcement of a Digital Imperial Edition for the consoles. On PC, you could buy the physical Imperial Edition or Digital Imperial (minus the physical stuff obviously).

I just hope that they make that available if there are those that want it. Amazon just restocked the PC Physical Imperial Edition, but still nothing on the Xbox One version. I know that Gamestop as of 2 days ago was still taking orders for the PS4 Imperial, but they said they have been sold out of the Xbox One since they first started to sell them. If you find a place and are in the US that has, please post here as I want the physical Imp. Edition myself.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im really interested in buying this, Im guessing most people here like it?

ive been shitting on the 5 spell slots thing the last few pages but I quite enjoy it, well worth my time, at least until DS2

squadr0n

Hey whats up? How do i get an invite to the NA NeoGaf Guild?

Right now I rolled a Nord DragonKnight (Mandatory first hero lol) Named Hideo Kojima and same ESO id as my NeoGaf name (Squadr0n)

Firehead

Ugh, I'm kind of torn between this and Wildstar. The endgame and PvP of Wildstar is what's enticing me towards it. TESO's exploration, quests and the comparisons to EverQuest I've been seeing have been enticing me towards this, however.
So, I have a few questions:

- How is the PvP?
- What is the endgame (if there is any)?
- I keep hearing things about microtransactions. Please tell me they seriously didn't add in microtransactions. :(
- What's this about hidden dungeons? Are they randomised?
- Probably a difficult comparison. How is the overall feel of the game compared to Morrowind?
- I watched the Angry Joe beta impressions video thing. Heard something about items being available for everyone, as in, if someone collects an item or chest, that person gets it and it disappears for everyone?

And basically, if anyone has played both Wildstar and TESO, I'd appreciate your opinion.

Rhaknar

Ugh, I'm kind of torn between this and Wildstar. The endgame and PvP of Wildstar is what's enticing me towards it. TESO's exploration, quests and the comparisons to EverQuest I've been seeing have been enticing me towards this, however.

- How is the PvP?
- I keep hearing things about microtransactions. Please tell me they seriously didn't add in microtransactions. :(
- Probably a difficult comparison. How is the overall feel of the game compared to Morrowind?

And basically, if anyone has played both Wildstar and TESO, I'd appreciate your opinion.

I hated how Wildstar's gameplay felt in the beta a few months ago (and mind you, this is coming from someone who had it at the top of the most wanted list, and who loves cartoony art...man I was so crushed, but anyway) and I think that Elder Scrolls feels much better gameplay wise

squadr0n

Does anyone know how the Imperial Edition upgrade works? I just bought it a few minutes ago and it still hasnt posted to my account. I logged out and relogged in, I tried to exit out completely, still nothing. I looked at their FAQ and it says it should be there as soon as you start the game lol. I go to character creation and I still cant select Imperial. What am I doing wrong?

- How is the PvP?

- PvP in TESO is focused on large scale warfare between the three factions in Cyrodiil. There the three fight over control of the map, slaying siege to keeps and towers. Smaller groups tend to find themselves either ganking re-enforcements or hitting some of the smaller objectives to try and split off the opposing forces groups. There are skill lines just for PvP and the one at the top of the leader board will be crowned emperor. There are currently no small scale battlegrounds or anything of that nature.

- Endgame focuses on Veteran Ranks, which is basically a new game +. There are currently 10 veteran ranks that go past the level cap at 50, and you work through these by traveling to other factions zones and questing through them. There are also veteran dungeons, a new zone, and trials coming out in the next patch. Trials are 12 man dungeons that are timed with limited resurrections and leader boards. You can get a glimpse here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4PddwLiYQs

- Microtransactions, currently the only thing you can buy is an upgrade to the Imperial edition and a horse. They said the only stuff they are looking at in the future is things like character renames and probably character look change scrolls, things along those lines, no plans to add anything else.

- Dungeons aren't random but have different paths you can take each time.

- Personally I did not like Wild Star, which is a shame because I was excited for a sci fi MMO. The art style, combined with the over the top cartoon characters and game world, just left me not really caring about anything I did. It felt to....arcadeish... I guess. TESO has brought me back to something I haven't felt in a long time in an MMO, and that is feeling connected and immersed to the game world. The quests are fantastic and the well done phasing makes it feel like you are actually having an impact on the world around you, despite lots of other players running around. Like many have said in this thread, I often find myself staying off my horse and just going on foot, exploring each little area of the game world, which becomes very rewarding many times.

KePoW

Banned
Does anyone know how the Imperial Edition upgrade works? I just bought it a few minutes ago and it still hasnt posted to my account. I logged out and relogged in, I tried to exit out completely, still nothing. I looked at their FAQ and it says it should be there as soon as you start the game lol. I go to character creation and I still cant select Imperial. What am I doing wrong?

I bought the digital upgrade a couple days ago, and it worked fine so I'm not sure what to tell you.

I was not in the game at all when I bought it from their website. Next time I logged in, it was active.

Somnia

My sexy vampire khajiit.

face2_zps05876ce2.jpg

Einbroch

Banned

- How is the PvP?
- I watched the Angry Joe beta impressions video thing. Heard something about items being available for everyone, as in, if someone collects an item or chest, that person gets it and it disappears for everyone?

I've played about 20 hours of Wildstar, so I can hopefully offer you some insight.

If Wildstar releases in the state it is in now, I have no interest. That's not to say it's a bad game. Not at all. But it's not the game I want to play. I played World of Warcraft for seven years. I don't need another WoW with action-ish combat.

Elder Scrolls Online is familiar, but different. It focuses way more on exploration and thus feels more organic. There are less quests, but the quests are parts of long chains. There are very, very few "kill X" quests, and even though there are some, they are only a part of that quest. On paper, that could be viewed as the same as any other MMO, but it feels different. You can wander the world almost restriction free. You can take out enemies 4 levels above you very early on if you're smart with CC.

Wildstar is very much WoW 1.5. You role a Medic in Wildstar, you're a healer or DPS. You role a Templar in ESO, you can do ANYTHING. Want to wield a great sword while throwing holy bolts? Do it. Want to be a Paladin that also can throw fireballs? Do it. Want to be a duel wielding assassin that can also offer support? Do it. The combinations are endless.

For a creative example, there's a class called a Nightblade in ESO. They have an ability that siphons health every few seconds to heal you. Now, this ability would make for a pretty sweet tank ability, right? Sword and board up, throw it on an enemy, and help your healer by self-healing. Well, it can be evolved once it's a high enough level to also heal two allies. It can also evolve into a totally new use besides that one. That tank ability is now a kick ass healer ability. Or what about a Sorcerer? The Sorcerer has an ability that increases their damage with their auto attacks. Now instead of a magic throwing Mage you can be a stealthy assassin that attacks quickly and deals great sustain damage. This ability can ALSO be evolved to heal you when you critical hit. Now you have a tank ability.

The endless possibilities of you being the character you want to be keep me hooked. I love finding weird builds and being a unique snowflake.

For PVP, it's GW2-ish but with more meta-game. People can be crowned Emperor if they're at the top of the leaderboards, there's skills and ranks, and so on. I hope for arenas or battlegrounds one day, as those were very enjoyable in WoW. Wildstar I believe has battlegrounds, so if you really want those (and I admit, they are fun), ESO will disappoint you.

Endgame apparently right now is limited but in the next patch will get a very large boost. Right now it's mass PVP, Veteran Ranks (which involved playing the other faction's quests), and Veteran Dungeons (hard mode dungeons). Next patch has a slew of endgame content, so the sooner they push that out, the better. Still, I've been playing a lot and I'm not even half way to the level cap. I enjoy exploring, looking for treasure, trying new builds, running dungeons, etc.

Microtransactions are just a mount and vanity pets. I will say that it's HUGELY disappointing that an entire race is locked behind a paywall and that only preorders can mix and match race with faction. That's stupid. Doesn't effect balance in any real way, but it's dumb and deserves to be called out.

The issue Joe is talking about is real. Chests in dungeons are first-come-first-serve. Since chests always have a green item in them, that makes them desirable. However, right now it doesn't bother me because you find new gear all the time and gear gets outdated quickly. It still is an issue though that frankly needs to be addresses ASAP.

I never played Morrowind, so I cannot comment.

Edit: This post ran LONG.

Top Bottom